REQUEST: Due date as a column option in List View

lawliss

Idea

My intent is to be able to view my notes in List View with the following columns:  Name, Tags, and Due Date. Obviously the first two are currently available, but the latter is not; the only way to currently view due dates on notes is either in the Card or Snippet views. Even then, thought, you're only able to view notes with due dates separately from the notes themselves. I think the addition of a Due Date column in List View--with the ability to sort them--would create a better flow. It would not only give me an easier way to view upcoming tasks/notes, but also be able view tasks/notes that need to have a due date. If I didn't already imply it, notes that don't have a due date would simply be clumped together at the bottom or top of the list (but not separated from the rest) based on how you sorted the list.

With this addition, it'd also be nice to have a pop-up dialog box for adding due dates to notes without having a open the note itself (i.e. right-click context "Add Due Date" that opens a dialog box for adding a date/time). Not only would serve an easier way to add due dates, but give us the ability to add due dates to multiple items that need to be due at the same time (or due dates removed from multiple items). If you guys could add this option to Android/IOS, as well, we'd be best friends.

I must also add my most needed request to each and every suggestion I put on here:  please, please, please, add multi-select with multi-tag/-move/-delete of notes in Android/IOS. The mobile OS for each already provide a native way of long-press to multi-select.

Thanks for the great product, guys/gals! I've been a faithful premium member for over 2 years now, and don't see me changing that anytime soon. Keep up the good work, and God bless!

39 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Yup, remindertime:day -remindertime:day+1 returns any reminders with the current date whatever the time, completed or not (you can adjust the search to remove completed if you like).  !Today is the search in my shortcuts bar, so one click away at all times.  Change the +1 to a +8 and you get what's coming at you in the next week, including today. 

Obviously In List view the notes aren't sorted by time, but again, with a limited number of notes it's not a big deal for me, not to mention I'm day focused not hour focused.  IAC, works for my methods..

• Level 5

After several years of requests (with positive feedback, promises & teases from Evernote), I finally gave up on the Due Date.

I used a code number in my Due Date posts to keep track of them.

To see all my requests for the Due Date field, do a Google search for: 

Evernote 47ER92

• Level 5*

@JB,

If you need due dates and reminder dates did you ever consider just putting _DUE yyyy.mm.dd on the front of the task title for due date notes?  Some simple saved searches and one could have reasonably quick visibility to due date tasks, as a workaround anyway.

IAC, not my horse race as I'm okay with just a reminder date.  Just wondering.

I really can't believe it is this big of a deal... If this many people are asking for it, and it is a LOGICAL solution, why is it a lingering topic?

Unless it is something that paid subscribers get... and they are holding out for that, why not just add the option?  

What a waste of time and something so stupid that would make so many people so happy...

I am NOT one to complain, but this is just silly!

• Level 5

I really can't believe it is this big of a deal... If this many people are asking for it, and it is a LOGICAL solution, why is it a lingering topic?

Unless it is something that paid subscribers get... and they are holding out for that, why not just add the option?  

What a waste of time and something so stupid that would make so many people so happy...

I am NOT one to complain, but this is just silly!

The Evernote CTO and the CEO both agreed that a Due Date would be beneficial and it was on the drawing board, but at some point in the development cycle they decided that the more complicated Reminder feature would be a better option. Evernote and I will have to agree to disagree.

• Level 5

@JB,

If you need due dates and reminder dates did you ever consider just putting _DUE yyyy.mm.dd on the front of the task title for due date notes?  Some simple saved searches and one could have reasonably quick visibility to due date tasks, as a workaround anyway.

IAC, not my horse race as I'm okay with just a reminder date.  Just wondering.

Thanks for the suggestion. I stayed away from the Reminder Date because it does not work with the Vertical List View.

The method I've used for the past 6 years is to modify the Created Date. There are a couple issues with this system, but I have developed work-arounds. The former Evernote CEO Phil Libin laughed at this concept because he felt a note should not have a Created Date in the future. He's gone and I continue to modify my Created Dates. 

• Level 5*

I prefer list view myself as well.  My workaround has been saved searches either via the shortcuts bar or hotkeys for different views (today, late, tomorrow, etc.).  Typically not more than 10 or so in a search set which makes it less of an issue in list view.  If I want to see everything in order I just go to Snippet at that point, which doesn't happen all that often.  FWIW.

• Level 5

I prefer list view myself as well.  My workaround has been saved searches either via the shortcuts bar or hotkeys for different views (today, late, tomorrow, etc.).  Typically not more than 10 or so in a search set which makes it less of an issue in list view.  If I want to see everything in order I just go to Snippet at that point, which doesn't happen all that often.  FWIW.

How do you do a search for today?

Assume it is noon-time. Can you see all of today's items - morning and afternoon?

• Level 5

Due date and reminders are completely different information. Both are needed.

Due date is what needs to be seen in the list.

I agree and have argued for Due Date over the past 4 years.

Several times Evernote mentioned Due Date was in their plans, but decided Reminder was a better solution.

I doubt Evernote will ever create a Due Date field.

My method is to use the Created Date as the Due Date field.

• Level 5

How do you do a search for today?

Assume it is noon-time. Can you see all of today's items - morning and afternoon?

Thanks for the tip (remindertime:day -remindertime:day+1)

I should have been a bit more specific.

Since I do not use reminders, I was looking for the Evernote holy grail: a search term for all notes created today. I stumped Dave Engberg (Evernote CTO) with this request several years ago. It is possible to find notes later in the day or earlier in the day, but not both.

• Level 5*

I was looking for the Evernote holy grail: a search term for all notes created today. I stumped Dave Engberg (Evernote CTO) with this request several years ago. It is possible to find notes later in the day or earlier in the day, but not both.

JB, have you tried this search for Notes created anytime today:

created:20151202 -created:20151203

It's basically

created:<today> -created:<tomorrow>

• Level 5

I was looking for the Evernote holy grail: a search term for all notes created today. I stumped Dave Engberg (Evernote CTO) with this request several years ago. It is possible to find notes later in the day or earlier in the day, but not both.

JB, have you tried this search for Notes created anytime today:

created:20151202 -created:20151203

It's basically

created:<today> -created:<tomorrow>

Thanks - Several years ago, we kicked this issue around a few times 

The search term you mentioned works, but it has to be changed every day, so it makes a saved search tedious.

Five years ago, Dave Engberg (Evernote's CTO) said the created:day+1 would be added to the clients.

I believe it was added to the Mac, but not the Windows platform.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/23825-archived-help-search-is-working-incorrectly-but-on-which-platforms/#entry123985

• Level 5*

@JB,

The day parameter is now on Windows.  The search created:day -created:day+1 can be a saved search in you shortcuts bar if you like.  Whenever you click it the system day will be used.  If you used reminders you would have noticed it in the release notes.  :P

• Level 5

To csihilling and JMichael

Thanks for sticking with me and pointing out some of the solutions.

Both versions work - absolute dates and relative dates.

And I saved a hybrid version that looks at all notes for today and the next 7 days.

It is a nice short list that I can scan quickly.

I appreciate your assistance.

• Level 5

I doubt Evernote will offer a Due Date field. For 3-4 years, they frequently mentioned it was coming soon. But they eventually shifted gears and came up with the more complicated Reminder program. Some people think it is great. I do not share their enthusiasm.

My work-around solution for several years has been to use the Created Date as the Due Date. I change the Created Date to reflect the actual date of the appointment, meeting, birthday, task, etc. Many others find this process too complicated and confusing, even the Evernote CEO. 

• Level 5*

Adding Due Date (aka Reminder Date) to the list view would be a good addition, regardless of how one feels about the implementation of reminders (which is besides the point here). And in addition, adding the Reminder list to list view would be helpful, too.

• Level 5*

What is really sad is that Evernote COULD have chosen to implement Reminders by first simply adding Due Date.  :(

IMO, this could have been done much quicker than Reminders, and would have satisfied many, many users.

Then, EN have added the fuller Reminder feature later, building on the Due Date field.

• Level 5*

The implementation of reminders is not besides the point.

Reminders took the place of the Due Date. 

Due Dates never existed; therefore nothing ever took their place (except perhaps in your expectations). Reminders as they were implemented grew out of the basic idea of a simple Due Date field, but they capture a lot more useful functionality, for my usage, anyways. I use them every day, mainly at work but also for my personal life.

However, regardless of how they turned out to be implemented, I've already agreed that Reminder Time would be a good addition to the list view (and probably the other views as well). That's what this topic is mainly about (note the topic title; granted, the OP did sort of pack several requests into their post). If you want to discuss how well/poorly/useably they were implemented (modulo the sortability thing) or how they don't match up to your expectations or whether plain old Due Date would have been better, that's most likely fodder for a different topic. Reality is that reminders exist today, and could be improved, and adding them as a viewable/sortable field would be an improvement.

• Level 5*

Guess he showed the Secret Due Date spec to you then? And it's not nitpickery to insert off-topic grousing about the Magical Mythical Due Dates when a question about reminders pops up? In real life, Reminders are the implementation of Due Dates, .whatever some people assumed they were going to be (maybe even Libin didn't know at the time). And for the third time, I agree with what the original poster asked for: that reminder time be added to the list view columns and be made a sortable field, which, by the way, would seem to be almost exactly what folks like jb are looking for, except that they're not actually named "Due Dates.

Remind me to yawn.

• Level 5

Wow, Jefito, you certainly have changed your style once your Evangelist wings were pulled off. You are the one coming across with the assumptions.

My comments were very appropriate to the subject in this post. For 4 years Evernote promised a "Due Date" field which eventually became the "Reminder" feature.

In Feb 15, 2011 I sent a tweet directly to Evernote's CEO Phil Liben's twitter account about the status of the Due Date field. His response one hour later was: "Definitely coming soon" 

And he publicly discussed the connection between Due Dates and Reminders back on April 20, 2012 during the community chat.

from mcd78:"How are Due Dates coming along?"
from Phil Libin: "@mcd78 We're putting in a lot of work on reminders / due dates / to-do lists. Aiming for a release this year, but don't have the specifics nailed down yet."

The above comments are just a few factual statements, not assumptions, made by Evernote senior executives on the subject of the "Due Date" field morphing into "Reminders".

My comments were neither off-topic, nor nit-picking.
  • Level 5*

Wow, Jefito, you certainly have changed your style once your Evangelist wings were pulled off. You are the one coming across with the assumptions.

Assume what you like, but "you know nothing, Jon Snow."

My comments were very appropriate to the subject in this post. For 4 years Evernote promised a "Due Date" field which eventually became the "Reminder" feature.

And you have a due date field. It's just not called "Due Date". It's called "ReminderTime"

In Feb 15, 2011 I sent a tweet directly to Evernote's CEO Phil Liben's twitter account about the status of the Due Date field. His response one hour later was: "Definitely coming soon"

And he publicly discussed the connection between Due Dates and Reminders back on April 20, 2012 during the community chat.

from mcd78:"How are Due Dates coming along?"

from Phil Libin: "@mcd78 We're putting in a lot of work on reminders / due dates / to-do lists. Aiming for a release this year, but don't have the specifics nailed down yet."

The above comments are just a few factual statements, not assumptions, made by Evernote senior executives on the subject of the "Due Date" field morphing into "Reminders".

I have no doubt that the existence of these statements is fact. Where the assumptions came in is what those statements meant. You concede yourself that the initial idea of offering a simple Due Date field evolved into a different feature set altogether.

Phil, you might be surprised to learn, as Big Kahuna of Evernote, engages in in Marketing. And Marketing is not always congruent with reality. Or the whole story. Particularly with features that don't actually exist yet or are in process. Trust me, I know this; it's part of my world too (I'm on the other end of things).

I see no promise that you'd get a field called "Due Date" (or "DueDate" which would have been more likely) that would be expressed in the UI in the same way that "CreatedDate" and "UpdatedDate" are: editable, searchable, appear in the list view column set, and can be sorted on. You got actual no specification, in other words. If you thought that that's what you were getting, that's what I'd call an assumption.

What you did get was a due date field that's named "ReminderTime" which is searchable and editable, but doesn't otherwise behave like CreatedDate and UpdatedDate. Telling lawliss that Evernote doesn't have a due date field isn't correct (and if you want to quibble about the capitalization of due date/Due Date, that would be nitpickery indeed). ReminderTime is that due date field, despite what you assumed its implementation would be. That train has left the station. Fixating on the "Due Date" name just seems like sour grapes, and of little use to the substance of the original request.

• Level 5*

C'mon boys.  Toe-may-toe, toe, mah-toe.  If either one ended up as a column would we all be happy?  I would and you could call it what you wanted.

That's pretty much what I've been saying (i.e. put ReminderTime in the set of list view columns and allow sorting on that date in all views), except I believe it's very unlikely that Evernote would change ReminderTime to DueDate. If they did, then saved searches that depend on ReminderTime would break. There's ways around that, of course , e.g. make "ReminderTime" be a synonym for the new "DueDate" in searches, but that seems like more work than worth. Modulo any name change,I think that integrating the field into the list view columns and making the views able to sort on it would pretty much satisfy all requirements that I've heard so far.

What I don't understand is that I can do this on my PC that I have to use for work.  I select a notebook and at the top of the list are all the notes with reminders that are due or overdue... not sure why they wouldn't have the same format for Mac???

No need for wasted arguments guys... if you want to do that, exchange emails or phone numbers and keep the forums for helpful info.

Thanks

• Level 5*

I really don't care what label Evernote uses for Due Date, but in the end it comes down to usability.

Being able to set a Reminder Date/Time is fine, but it does not replace having a field (by whatever name) that corresponds to Due date that can be EASILY searched  and sorted on.

The Reminder/Due Date should work exactly like the other EN date fields, including being a column in List View.

Add me to the list for this one.. i use the list view for my notes and like to set reminders for when they are due to reviewed again (to make sure actions are comleted for exaple)  but being unable to list the notes by this is really frustrating...

Come on Evernote - get your finger out!

I too will like to see a due date field with a mini calendar. I use Evernote for my to do list and the things are usually due in days, weeks and months. Having a mini calendar to choose the dates right in the note (or the note title) itself is a big help. I don't have to remember what date is next tuesday or two weeks from today.

Not only a due date field. Things to do always have a starting date as well. I would also like to see a "Starting (beginning) date" field. or even a participate (Assign to) field with all the people that's involve for the things to do.

I also agree that the reminder date function does not provide what is desired in a due date.  I also would want a separate due date.

even with just a reminder date feature, here are some of the things we should be able to do with it:

sorry; pressed enter too early.  features Evernote should be able to add easily regarding reminder date that would improve the functionality. 

1.  should be able to select multiple notes and set/update the reminder date for them at one time.

2.  reminder date should be able to be continuously displayed in iOS version (instead of truncated pop-up list

3.  should be able to sort list of reminders in ascending order, just like it is in Android and MAC versions

Archived