View as attachment

saur321

• Level 5*

You can either change the default method of adding files so that they are always added as attachments (or not) as you prefer;  or you can hold shift while you drag and drop a file which adds it as an attachment (in Windows at least..)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  In Windows it's Tools > Options > Note but I'm not sure there is a Mac equivalent.  A quick search in the forums turns up two options - rename saved files to something else so they're not recognised as PDF or picture files,  or right-click each file individually.  Unless a Macspert can come up with another suggestion I'm afraid that's as much as I know...

Yeah, no Tools menu option in Mac that I can see. These attachments are all different kinds (PPT, DOC, XLSX, JPEG, GIF, etc) and I have a lot (the note is a running list of my lesson plans) in each one. I've got the right-click trick down but now almost every time I reopen the note they are all shown as previews again, which when you are dealing with many PPT files turns the whole thing into a total mess and is a real time suck.

I'm surprised evernote doesn't automatically attach these files without preview, but then I guess evernote doesn't revolve around my specific needs.

Anyone else out there????

Good try Scott, but I've already changed this to attachment. Also, this seems to just reference pdf files. Evernote is doing it to everything I attach. My friend's version isn't doing this, so I know it's a local issue, just can't find it.

I think I fixed it.

So it was good to hear the suggested Mac fix in the preferences section from Scott. Though I had already tried that, it made me think there was definitely something wrong with just my version of Evernote. I tried uploading more files to the note and have found that only certain files are causing the issue (always reverting back to being shown as preview).

Then I thought about how I had a synch issue with my old laptop, changed a few weeks ago. Evernote had stopped synching to the web and everything after a certain date was being stored locally, even though my local version didn't acknowledge that. I transferred the notes via email when I changed laptops.

So I figured that perhaps there was something corrupt about one of those attachments. I deleted them and pulled them back in from their original source and viola.... so far everything is staying as an attachment view.

Got it. Would files added before the change always stay in preview though, even after I've right-clicked and told it to "view as attachment"? That's what was driving me crazy. Even after I forced the change, every time I came back to the note all of those files were expanded again in full preview mode. It was like they were laughing at me :)

Anyway, so far so good.

Archived