Idea

7 minutes ago, Frank Blome said:

Thanks for calling me paranoid. I quit this discussion now.

It's what he does. Picks fights. I too will not be back, if anyone from Evernote reads this thread, I hope (a) they consider implementing notebook level encryption, the OP's suggestion, and (b) that Evernote realizes how toxic this thread become thanks to 'Gurus' who really didn't contribute anything to the original suggestion. Thanks for the help DTLow, it was truly beneficial. 

19 hours ago, Don0819 said:

Why don't you just let posters ask for a feature and leave it at that? 

It's called discussion, and correcting inaccurate information

The request has been posted, and users can indicate their support using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion.

You are not required to participate in the discussion

I posted to this thread in 2014 and have been watching it since. Personally, I've moved on. My specific use-case was for journaling. After some consideration, I realize that Evernote is not a journaling app. Nor do I want it to be. I cannot enjoy the "search everything" feature in parallel with journaling. And I don't want to deal with workarounds to that conflict.

For me, I am finding that I like having a dedicated journaling app and a dedicated "everything else" app (Evernote) is ideal. I use Penzu.com and  Stigma for journaling/reflection. They are excellent as are other options available. And Evernote is still king knowledge collection and organization.

In the more general sense, I second what aefla said in their recent post.

7 hours ago, Don0819 said:

that Evernote realizes how toxic this thread become thanks to 'Gurus' who really didn't contribute anything to the original suggestion. Thanks for the help DTLow, it was truly beneficial. 

Let's get one fact straight here: the term "Guru" is chosen by Evernote based on number of forum posts, and not any special knowledge of how Evernote works.  That's all it is -- you could be one, too. That being said, a lot of the people with the 'Guru' tag -- DTLow most definitely included -- are indeed often helpful to other users. Flip side, we too are forum users, just like you, and have opinions that we're allowed to express here in the forums.

All in all, the request is valid, but Evernote hasn't chosen to implement it. If you're ok with the way that Evernote manages your data's end-to-end security then cool. If you're not -- and that's entirely valid as well --- then you should consider using a different product, as it's not clear that this situation will change any time soon. We should all have tools that work for us, and which we can trust. As usual, your mileage may vary from mine...

From my perspective the power of Evernote is search, and encrypting entire notebooks takes the bloom of that rose.  You can put the stuff in local notebooks (protect thyself) but the downside is you lose access from a mobile device.  Anybody ever try putting a cloud service folder tree in a Veracrypt or the like partition? 

2 hours ago, TylerWilliams said:

Personally, I've moved on. My specific use-case was for journaling. After some consideration, I realize that Evernote is not a journaling app. Nor do I want it to be.

Just curious.  Can you briefly share details on the requirements for journaling.  I file a daily journal in Evernote, but I'm guessing there's more to it..

edited: keeping on topic, I should have mentioned my daily journal is password protected

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

Just curious.  Can you briefly share details on the requirements for journaling.  I file a daily journal in Evernote, but I'm guessing there's more to it..

Well, a. I want absolute certainty that I am the only one with access to the information and b. I want to feel confident that prudent security measures are taken to prevent data loss in the event of a breach. That was my initial reasoning for contributing to this post.

I've found the other applications which are purpose built also include a helpful and even proactive reflection component--such as a word cloud or look-back. Also, they can facilitate journaling prompts and mood/feeling check-ins. In general, journaling app developers can distinguish themselves apart from a solution which aims at capturing everything.

在 1/22/2018 在 PM12點26分, DTLow說:

Evernote has a text encryption feature
I also use the native encryption of attachments; pdfs, office/iwork documents

>>Since there is no password protection, ...

My computer has password protection.  My Evernote account has password protection.

在 1/22/2018 在 PM12點26分, DTLow說:

Evernote has a text encryption feature
I also use the native encryption of attachments; pdfs, office/iwork documents

>>Since there is no password protection, ...

My computer has password protection.  My Evernote account has password protection

I means the password for a special note :), some office's computer, even it is your computer, other people can log in by their account, like my office.  Account password is not enough, unless each time you AFK, you remember  to log out all of your accounts. More choice is better. A password for a special note is a basic feature, just take a look for any similar software, like onenote, even it is not as good as evernote in other aspec 

在 1/22/2018 在 PM2點29分, jefito說:
在 1/22/2018 在 PM2點29分, jefito說:

Well, Labibi already said it:

*shrug*

Yeah, yeah, you are right, since I have password in computer and in evernote account, then it is enough. You are so smart and thank you for telling me that. But Evernote still do not have a password to a special note.

Anyway, Perfect software!!! 

*shrug*

3 小時前, DTLow說:

You are correct - no password protection at the note level
The best I can do is encrypt specific text within a note, or use the native encryption of file attachments; for example Word documents

I could use the text encryption feature for items like SSN- number, bank account

I could use an encrypted word document for my diary

Yes, it right, but not convenience.

This topic is discuss feature A. And you means why you need feature A. You can use feature B and feature C instead. The fact is the software still do not have feature A. 

If these ways really match most people's need, this topic would not be so hot. It is clear many users complain about it. 

I know a couple of ways to use Google drive in Linux, but I still complain Google drive do not  have a formal license in Linux like a lot of other people. I think you know what I mean. 

You mention WORD, so you also means the feature, (password for a note) is necessary and evernote do not support it, so you have to use WORD, is that right? But not all users have money to buy Office, and also, a lot of users use Linux system. It is still a problem for them.  

On 2018-01-21 at 9:38 PM, Xihaha said:

Since there is no password protection, It's very dangerous to write diary in evernote unless you want everyone in your apartment, your office to watch your privacy. And of course, it is also impossible to keep any personal information like SSN- number, bank account in Evernote.  

On 2018-01-23 at 5:08 PM, Xihaha said:

I mean the password for a special note :)

A password for a special note is a basic feature

You are correct - no password protection for notes, only text within a note

We can use
- Evernote's text encryption feature for items like SSN- number, bank account
- an encrypted word document for a diary

I prefer encrypted attachments.  I'm not a fan of being locked in by Evernote's text encryption

Warning: Encrypted text is not included in search indexing

On 2018-01-24 at 3:59 PM, Xihaha said:

You mention WORD, so you also means the feature, (password for a note) is necessary and evernote do not support it, so you have to use WORD, is that right? But not all users have money to buy Office, and also, a lot of users use Linux system. It is still a problem for them.  

Password for a note would be a new feature request.  You should post it

The purpose of my post was to suggest a solution for including SSN Number, Bank Acct # and diary in Evernote.  You mentioned it was dangerous/impossible

I also don't have the money to buy Office.  I'm using Apple Pages, it came free with my Mac and iPad

I don't understand why evernote do not support entire note encryption (with attachments) and/or notebook encryption. Titles and tags can be sufficient for searching, and as others have said, if we lose our encryption keys, more fool us ... but with the likes of lastpass etc, we ought not to lose them ...

So I can only think of two reasons why they haven't done it: either they are monetising our data in some way, or they are simply lazy rent seekers - there are plenty of existence proofs that the encryption task would not be hard to implement in such a way that the only thing that leaves a device would be encrypted, but we could decrypt locally (e.g. saferoom).

So which is it?  Evernote has an ulterior motive, or they are lazy and haven't really understood the importance of security to those of us who hold sensitive data?  I use Evernote professionally, but come May and GPDR, like everyone else in Europe, I wont be able to risk the leakage of personal information into Evernote. So, Evernote, you have four months to fix this, otherwise I'm gone!

On 2018-01-22 at 2:08 PM, CalS said:

Anybody ever try putting a cloud service folder tree in a Veracrypt or the like partition? 

No, I've found no generic cloud solution for an encrypted partition.

It works so well at the device level, transparent and secure.  Then I undo the security by uploading my data.

Meanwhile, I'm committed to the Evernote service and my hope is that Evernote will implement this security.  At the database level, not just the notebook level.  Transparent encryption driven by my Evernote password.

Until then, my solution is independent encryption of sensitive data

On 1/27/2018 at 1:10 PM, DTLow said:

No, I've found no cloud solution for an encrypted partition.

It works so well at the device level, transparent and secure.  Then I undo the security by uploading my data.

Meanwhile, I'm committed to the Evernote service and my hope is that Evernote will implement this security.  At the database level, not just the notebook level.  A transparent encryption driven by my Evernote password.

Thanks.  I know some folks have put their EN data base in such a partition and interested in how such would work with a cloud file storage service.  Not interested enough to give it a go, just wondering.  :rolleyes:

18 minutes ago, joeldegiovanni said:

I hope this can be implemented, soon!
Thank you!

This is a posted feature request,  5a6e6773b5be0_ScreenShot2018-01-28at16_14_16.png.fd1e4b469ef164ef53d1e1b816d5752d.png
To indicate your support, use the voting buiitos at the top left corner of the discussion

On 2018-01-27 at 7:10 AM, bnl said:

they are monetising our data in some way

I've seen no evidence of this

>>they are simply lazy rent seekers

The software is provided at no cost, and the majority of accounts don't pay for the service.  

They are doing all this work, and there's no "rent".  

>>haven't really understood the importance of security to those of us who hold sensitive data?

Security is important to me.  I make sure my sensitive data is encrypted

As you mentioned, Saferoom is a third part product to encrypt data at the note level.  
I make use of Evernote's text encryption feature, and native encryption for attachments

>>I use Evernote professionally, but come May and GPDR, like everyone else in Europe, I wont be able to risk the leakage of personal information into Evernote.

I don't know many details of GPDR.  Are you aware of any non-compliance by Evernote?

There's a discussion in the note linked below. 

On 29/01/2018 at 11:20 PM, DTLow said:

>>they are simply lazy rent seekers

The software is provided at no cost, and the majority of accounts don't pay for the service.  

Security is important to me.  I make sure my sensitive data is encrypted

As you mentioned, Saferoom is a third part product to encrypt data at the note level.  
I make use of Evernote's text encryption feature, and native encryption for attachments

>>I use Evernote professionally, but come May and GPDR, like everyone else in Europe, I wont be able to risk the leakage of personal information into Evernote.

I don't know many details of GPDR.  Are you aware of any non-compliance by Evernote?

1) I am paying for the service. Many people do.

2) Encryption needs to be easy enough to use.  With GDPR we cannot put any personal data (about third parties) on a cloud host without holding the encryption keys ourselves.  That means, for anyone in a management role, nearly nothing.  For ordinary users, no copies of email addresses of a group of people ... in fact nothing about anyone.  Saferoom works, but the workflow is prohibitively cumbersome. 

Sure I can carry on using Evernote for things which don't hit any of those pain points, but it now means I have to be thinking about "can I use Evernote for this task or not" ... which means "if in doubt, not" ... which means in practice, I'm going to look for a solution which doesn't require me to be thinking about legislation every time I want to save something.

I have been waiting for this feature for so long...you can only encrypt bits and pieces from a note - you can't for example, encrypt the whole note, either via Cmd + A (Select all), nor through manual select...

Apparently you need to encrypt bulleted points singularly...this is plain ridiculous and it's the reason I won't be renewing my subscription. 

It's a very reasonable feature that customers have been asking for years - at this point it's legitimate to believe Evernote is just not listening.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bnl said:

With GDPR we cannot put any personal data (about third parties) on a cloud host without holding the encryption keys ourselves. 

This was my understanding, and under GDPR regs I can't see Evernote being used as a business tool for storing personal third party data.  Even without GDPR, I have concerns about storing business data in the cloud.   Note: the US currently has HIPPA regs which also address unencrypted data; and there's also the issue of storing data in the US given the political climate

I'm ok with encrypting my personal sensitive data but mass encryption is not practical

>>I am paying for the service. Many people do.

I'm paying for a Premium account.  I like the feature enhancements, including upload limits

On 2018-02-06 at 3:37 AM, ericat said:

at this point it's legitimate to believe Evernote is just not listening.

Evernote continues to pay for these forums to solicit feedback from the users
I think it's legitimate to believe Evernote is listening

Sometimes the answer is No, or Not at this time

Evernote needs (!!)  the capacity to lock or password-protect individual notes or notebooks.

I have lost count of the number of times I have accidentally bumped my iPhone and found that pages of data has been deleted in one of my Notes, or replaced by a line of 'aaaaaaaaa'; requiring me to retrieve a previous version from the 'History' file (I subscribe to Evernote Premium mainly because it allows me to restore from 'History').

I would like the ability to 'lock' a Note, and then to unlock it only when I want to update it.

I just moved all of my Apple Notes to Evernote, and this functionality is sorely missed. I really hope the powers that be see fit to implement it. 

On 2018-02-21 at 9:44 PM, lesleyalan2@gmail.com said:

I would like the ability to 'lock' a Note, and then to unlock it only when I want to update it.

I think you're indicating a different request than this topic for password protection

Please consider adding your vote to the request linked below
Voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion

I wish I could see a development by Evernote so they can allow us to add password protected notebooks so no one can access them when we are not around. Certain things are very personal and private, therefore, I abstain myself from putting them in Evernote because such a service is not available. What is your take on this?

On 2018-02-25 at 10:55 AM, NIzi said:

so no one can access them when we are not around

Most devices have password protection
Your Evernote account has password protection

On mobile devices Evernote has a pin password protection (I use my fingerprint)

4 hours ago, NedPG said:

explanation why this is not reasonable I am really looking forward to response:

Your use case is reasonable, and the request has been posted.  To indicate your support, use the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion.

Since this feature is not currently offered by Evernote, you might wat to look at the posts offering work-arounds.

>>I mean, notebook or note lock will do the job and it's kinda surprising to see that this topic is open for almost 5 years now and I haven't seen any NO, NOT NOW or MAYBE's from EN officials. Maybe there is but I missed it though....

I've seen no response from Evernote, either pro/con.  I just know from the start that the Evernote service isn't a solution for note/noteboook/database encryption.

19 hours ago, NIzi said:

I wish I could see a development by Evernote so they can allow us to add password protected notebooks so no one can access them when we are not around. Certain things are very personal and private, therefore, I abstain myself from putting them in Evernote because such a service is not available. What is your take on this?

You didn't say what kind of device(s) you are using to access Evernote, but the devices I am familiar with (Windows, Android) allow you to sign out of your Evernote account, which will require a password to log back in. Also, as DTLow says, your device already has facilities for logging out, and preventing other people from using it. If you have a different scenario, then you should specify it.

4 hours ago, NedPG said:

can provide an explanation why this is not reasonable I am really looking forward to response:

I want to lock/encrypt/password protect a table and image inserted in a note. I'm listening.

The reasonableness of the request isn't in question in my view.  The priority to EN product management and development would seem to be the question.

4 hours ago, NedPG said:

I mean, notebook or note lock will do the job and it's kinda surprising to see that this topic is open for almost 5 years now and I haven't seen any NO, NOT NOW or MAYBE's from EN officials. Maybe there is but I missed it though....

To paraphrase, No news is news.

2 minutes ago, SWSL said:

that text passages within a note can be password protected. 

The text encryption feature is useful, but it's retricted to text only.

I also make use of encrypted file attachments PDFs, office/iwork documents, ...

• Like 1

Hi,

First off, sorry for posting here! I am NEW-B! I've been looking around in the Forum for the past half hour, but I can't seem to find out how to make a new thread or make a new post for the questions I am having. That said, could you guys help me with the following 2 questions. I'd very much appreciate your insights: 

1- I am wondering if there is a way to decrypt an encrypted note, for which you've lost/forgotten the password for it?

2-I've noticed that whenever I am working inside an Encrypted Note, I can
not make use of the 1,2,3,... numberings, or the bullet points feature that appear in the header of the Note I am working on. 

Please look at the attached diagram below to better understand what I am referring to. I have made 2 orange boxes around the features that greys out on  Encrypted Notes. Is there any way I can have those useful functions inside an encrypted note?

Screen_Shot_2018-02-26_at_7_58_21_PM.jpg

Created an account just to have this bumped. Would be super handy! Please please consider - love the app. 

Well I guess concerns about people accessing things "when we are not around" is a general concern about any information held on any device.

A concern that's often raised here is the privacy of the stuff we put up in the cloud using EN. 

I use EN extensively for all sorts of stuff but there remain some things I just won't put up there. I tend to use offline books for some of this stuff, and the feature that I would LOVE, is that EN would sync notes across these offline books using secure transport but without storing them on EN severs. So, I'd have access to all my cloud-based notebooks from anywhere, like a browser, or my PC, for example. But, I could create an offline book on my Mac and have it replicated on my PC, and be able to choose which devices held which books. Marvellous.

I kind of do this now, using directory replication software, but to see it in EN's functionality would be great. 

25 minutes ago, MRJ said:

I tend to use offline books for some of this stuff, and the feature that I would LOVE, is that EN would sync notes across these offline books using secure transport but without storing them on EN severs.

The servers are the hub in the sync process:   device <> server <> device.  This does not allow device <> device sync; it's do-able, but would be a completely different process

>>I tend to use offline books for some of this stuff

Actually called Local Notebooks.  Make sure you backup your data; Evernote only looks after data on the server

>>But, I could create an offline book on my Mac and have it replicated on my PC

My solution is to protect my sensitive data with encryption (password); it's then sync'd and available on all my devices and backup

Evernote has a text encryption feature, and I use encrypted attachments (PDFs, office/iwork documents, ...)

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The servers are the hub in the syncing process:   device <> server <> device.  This does not allow device <> device syncing; it would be a completely different process

Umm, yeah, I know. A completely different process I would love to see it do.

Since 5 years ago,  a large numbers of users have suggest to Add a very very simple Function: Password Protection.

1. We need PASSWORD to Protect personal notebook!

NOT encrypt the Note or NoteBook! Just use password to prevent accidentally open!

(Don't mention there is encrypt text function in your product. That's not what we are talking about now.)

2. Why? 

We Stored some  personal stuff in it.

When we use the function called ---Present notes, We‘d like to hide personal Notebook or use password to protect it!

Imagine it : When you guys are presenting A Note, you accidentally click on the notebook  which stored some personal stuff , it's a disaster!

I'm a Premuim client, and the reason why I purchased premium account because I was looking forward to enjoying a very good software and service.

At least I think I can use such basic function like password protection just as other software.

• Like 1

+1 to this idea.

Being able to encrypt selected text is a nice feature. My use case is that I like to put my taxes in Evernote. With the document scanning and everything, this is fantastic. But this stuff is a bit more sensitive than my usual notes so I would like to have a second layer of protection.

If I could encrypt an image/attachment like I can text, that would also suffice.

I use Evernote for various applications with my family, but some things are of a confidential nature, and therefore a password on notebooks specifically would help, notes themselves even better.

Love Evernote!

On 2018-04-15 at 7:35 PM, cybersurfer5000 said:

I would love to have the ability to password-protect individual notes and/or notebooks. ... Is there any plan to realize that function?

On 2018-04-20 at 8:36 PM, PamelaK said:

a password on notebooks specifically would help, notes themselves even better

Evernote has a text encryption feature.  There's no indication of plans to extend this feature.
I use the native encryption available in attachments: pdfs, office/iwork documents, ...

Absolutely necessary. It's a option that many would find very interesting, as this 2013 and still alive post would suggest.

Personally, if the implementation doesn't hurt those who wouldn't want use it, I don't see a single problem in this request. I don't mind lose searchability in a encrypted notebook.

You've reposted the request and users can indicate their support using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion

>>Plus, others have access to my computer. 

Don't give them access to your Evernote account.  Log out of Evernote.

Actually, log out of your computer.  Set the others up with their own userIds.

• Like 1

In Windows, this is File / Sign Out <user name> (Alt+F, 'o' on the keyboard). You need a password to get back in.  

It's long time I'd like to share that I have some note encrypted as you can see in the picture inserted.

I don't remember exactly the process to encrypt that: maybe it was an encrypted note in another Android service (ColorNote?...) imported in evernote...

Screen Shot 2018-06-17 at 08.20.22.png

6 hours ago, visualdrome said:

It's long time I'd like to share that I have some note encrypted as you can see in the picture inserted.

I don't remember exactly the process to encrypt that: maybe it was an encrypted note in another Android service (ColorNote?...) imported in evernote...

This looks like the standard Evernote text encryption feature.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

This looks like the standard Evernote text encryption feature.

Ah, yes: you can't change the passphrase for different notes, just one master passphrase for every note.

Maybe, cause of this, I kept only one note encrypted and I forgot the reason...sorry!

16 minutes ago, visualdrome said:

Ah, yes: you can't change the passphrase for different notes, just one master passphrase for every note.

Maybe, cause of this, I kept only one note encrypted and I forgot the reason...sorry!

This was just discussed here. It is possible to use a different passphrase for each encryption.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

This was just discussed here. It is possible to use a different passphrase for each encryption.

Good, thanks  a lot!!

38 minutes ago, Uldis Z said:

Anyone who's got a moment of access to any of my devices can see all my diary entries.

Evernote doesn't support encryption at the Notebook level hierarchy, hence the posting of this request.
Please indicate your support using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

In the meantime, you can protect your sensitive data using encryption.
Evernote supports text encryption; I encrypt documents using the native encryption in MS-Office /  Apple-iWorks.

@DTLow kudos to you for trying to offer some levity to this discussion.

I think it's worth pointing out that whole note/notebook level encryption does have technical and user-interface challenges particularly when you are as cross-platform as Evernote is. In saying this, the move to Google Cloud was prompted in part by getting access to modern backend architecture that will give Evernote more ability to roll out these kinds of features. 

It's also worth highlighting that the current text-based Encryption isn't entirely secure because synced text that is subsequently encrypted can still be retrieved from note history. I still use this feature to avoid prying eyes.

Using best practices for your sensitive data outside of the app as well as inside the app is always the best approach. Encrypted documents within Evernote is also an excellent workaround that ensures your Evernote-saved data is encrypted wherever it lies. 

4 hours ago, MWinc said:

It's also worth highlighting that the current text-based Encryption isn't entirely secure because synced text that is subsequently encrypted can still be retrieved from note history. I still use this feature to avoid prying eyes.

I don't use Evernote's encryption feature (I don't want to be locked into Evernote and Mac/Win computers)
However, it's not a best practice to sync your data, then encrypt it afterwards

Instead

1. use a local notebook, or go offline
  2. encrypt
  3. move note to a sync'd notebook, or go online

12 hours ago, MWinc said:

Workaround for previously synced note is to move the note to a local notebook (history goes away), encrypt, move to a synced notebook.

I keep information such as IDs and PWs in a Word document which is password protected. 

I keep that Word document in a Notebook in Evernote that way it is with me at all times.

Just and idea... 

On 7/6/2018 at 1:42 PM, scinsf said:

I keep information such as IDs and PWs in a Word document which is password protected.

I keep mine in one of the several free password protection apps that lives on my phone / tablet / laptops.  Currently it's Bitwarden.  There are a lot of useful bells and whistles - like strong random password generation - that make it worth the extra app.

Great Idea. Evernote need to put a password to individual folders.

7 hours ago, BrianTN1960 said:

I am starting a personal journal notebook and I really would love to lock down just that one notebook for personal reasons 

Evernote hasn't indicated an interest in "locking down" notebooks.
You can use a different editor/format,  for example Apple Pages.  The document is optionally displayed as inline or attachment,  and can be encrypted.

Guest Annie

I am reading this thread because I definitely WANT to password protect a notebook. I LOVE Evernote. But I guess I will not be able to protect my files on my laptop as I cannot  password protect the app like I can on my Ipad and phone.

5 minutes ago, Guest Annie said:

I cannot  password protect the app like I can on my Ipad and phone.

How are you password protecting the app on your iPad and phone? And why not on the laptop?

Guest GGH

I would love to see this feature. I was hoping to use Evernote for daily journaling. Some things may be sensitive materials that should be secure. I guess I will need to keep using Day One for Mac.

2 minutes ago, Guest GGH said:

Some things may be sensitive materials that should be secure.

I protect my sensitive data using encryption.
Evernote includes a text encryption feature.  I also use the native encryption built into attachments; pdfs, office/iwork documents, ...

4 hours ago, tRav525 said:

I predict

I predict Evernote will have over 200 million user accounts,

For data protection, there is a text encryption feature, and we can use native encryption in file attachments.  

You're welcome to add your vote to this feature request; voting buttons are at the top left corner of the discussion.

>>a streamlined process for transferring note content out of an Evernote account

If password protected notebooks is critical for you, you should be looking at a different service.  
You can use Evernote's export feature.  My weekly backups take about 20 minutes for 12Gb of data

On 8/22/2018 at 5:41 PM, DTLow said:

I predict Evernote will have over 200 million user accounts,

I thought they already had 250 million? 

Anyway, great points @DTLow I appreciate the reply.  At the end of the day, yes, there are workarounds even though as a subscriber and an "all in" Evernote user, I would love to see more integrated security controls.  However, between 2 factor auth, text encryption, and native file encryption - security can work and it is certainly worth the additional effort because Evernote is still BY FAR the greatest solution out there.

(I reread my post from the other day and I really sounded upset... haha.  I wasn't, I was just disappointed.  I was really hoping this latest update had some security stuff rolled up in it. :) )

25 minutes ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

full database encryptiowithout putting in any effort at all (you don't even know it's there)

This would be choice even though it doesn't address this notebook password thing.  It would be locked into our Evernote password and as you say, we wouldn't even know it's there. 

32 minutes ago, DTLow said:

This would be choice even though it doesn't address this notebook password thing.  It would be locked into our Evernote password and as you say, We wouldn't even know it's there. 

Yeah. I'm not sure why Evernote is making such a fuss about not doing encryption. It's a no-brainer. Unless, of course, Evernote wants to go through our notes, gather the data somewhere else, and use it to "surface" stuff for us (nothing sinister here, except that I'd trade the AI for security any day). Speaking of that surfacing stuff, did we lose related notes? I've got nothing coming up at the bottom of my notes anymore.

Anyhow, other folks have got the encryption thing down, searches work fine (in some cases, far superior), and they have the artificial intelligence stuff. Heck, not only that, they don't corrupt the data in my notes (the new Mac app has decided to delete line breaks for me so that I can "focus" better without all those pesky white spaces). *sigh* Full encryption (or even just a notebook) should have been a standard feature after 2013. Too bad they didn't go down that road.

*Edit: Now I've got contextual / related note stuff there. I don't know why it's gone one day and here the next. I had nothing for the last 12 hours. Weird. But, the least of my concerns, I guess.

On 8/27/2018 at 7:09 PM, GrumpyMonkey said:

Hi. Competitors already provide (and have provided for several years) full database encryption without putting in any effort at all (you don't even know it's there). Nowadays, you also get password / fingerprint authentication to open apps and even syncing directly from device to device without involving the cloud at all (for the security sensitive among us). There's some amazing stuff out there.

But, Evernote's user base continues to grow, rather than flee. That's a good thing (because I like Evernote). I'd prefer that they implement better security features as a core commitment to user security / confidentiality (yes, we are all aware of the "three laws," but in practice, here we are with tiny, independent developers offering far superior security, so there seems to be a gap here between word and deed, or a difference of opinion about how to interpret those laws). But, they haven't so far.

Unfortunately, DT is correct. If this level of security is a requirement, then Evernote is probably not for you. As a longtime user (here since the launch), I can say that this is a longstanding request that Evernote is quite aware of, but (judging by their actions) isn't interested in pursuing. That is, of course, their right. It is Evernote's app, after all, and there is no law saying they have to do everything users ask of them (thank goodness). Still, even after a decade, I continue to hope they'll change their minds. I'm not into clicking on buttons to vote for things, though. I'd prefer they seriously consider the request based on its merits rather than quantifying our voices.

I agree.  Well said.  There are just way too many positives to Evernote... hopefully they will one day do something more on that front, but until then I will manage my own security as needed.

Thanks for the response.

1 hour ago, Pastor-Luke said:

This is the number one feature enhancement I would want to see incorporated into Evernote. Add my vote. 

There is a festure request posted at the top for this, you can indicate your support using the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

Why is this your number 1 enhancement? 
I basically have a single filing notebook, but I'd want encryption for the entire database; not just individual notebooks.  I'm also not enthused by multiple passwords; my Evernote password should be sufficient.
Currently I have to protect sensitive data by encrypting at the note attachment level.

PS, I cannot find 'Vote' Button (may be I am dummy) so I've posted my comments in a reply....
Cheers

On 9/27/2018 at 2:49 AM, RicJ said:

Same I do not want that my kids or other eyes gets access on my private things when they browse on my pc or mobile!

My data is protected by password.  No one has access to it.

>> PS, I cannot find 'Vote' Button

Top left corner of the discussion   971736030_ScreenShot2018-09-28at06_06_55.png.5d6f785e9d4c6e6fdb1d8d52fbbd9c8e.png

Would love to see this idea happen. I also use evernote across both personal and corporate devices. I often have stuff that in the event i left my employer or device was stolen - I wouldn't want to stay on that device so being able to easily encrypt and not have access would be gold. 

On 4/4/2013 at 7:51 AM, EvernoteLover9 said:

yes they need to do it i agree

I am a long time premium user.  I was disappointed to find that apparently the latest version of Windows web interface no longer allows me to open already password protected  individual notes. 

I use evernote on several of my computers (home and work) and on my Android phone.  My synched database access from all is a critical feature of EN to me.  I have been able to encrypt a note on my home computers which run the installed EN app, and then open them as needed via the web interface.  Due to my employer's security protocal I cannot install the EN app on my work computers.

Fortunately the new web interface lets  you load previous verions, which restore my ability to open the password protected files.

Opening password protected notes in the Windows web browser access is a make-or-break feature for me.  PLEASE reconsider new restriction (or fix the bug or overlooked feature if that is all it is)

17 minutes ago, Abter1 said:

Opening password protected notes in the Windows web browser access is a make-or-break feature for me.  PLEASE reconsider new restriction (or fix the bug or overlooked feature if that is all it is)

You've tacked on to a notebook discussion with your feedback on the web beta version.
Better to post in the feedback discussion for this at

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/113856-new-web-experience-beta-now-available/

Definitely want - notebook level, zero knowledge, encryption. Something very similar to StandardNotes. A premium user should have an option that no one but that person can read his/her notes (not even Evernote).

On 4/4/2013 at 12:51 AM, EvernoteLover9 said:

I love Evernote, but it's preventing me from putting in sensitive content. For example, I can't keep a personal journal notebook, because other people (i.e. girlfriend, family members, etc.) could one day be looking at those notes, especially since they know that I use Evernote often for many purposes.

Evernote already has the ability to encrypt single notes. This is useful for things like storing passwords or other temporary sensitive content. But it's not practical to encrypt many notes one by one.

I wish I could password-protect a whole notebook. This way, I can do a lot more with Evernote. If I can encrypt single notes, then why can't Evernote just allow me to encrypt entire notebooks? If reason behind this is because Evernote thinks one could lose a lot of data if a notebook password is forgotten, then perhaps Evernote can help recover the passwords through email.

In the meantime, I'm stuck with using other apps (i.e. Pages, Day One, etc) to password-protect my content.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

On 4/4/2013 at 12:51 AM, EvernoteLover9 said:

I love Evernote, but it's preventing me from putting in sensitive content. For example, I can't keep a personal journal notebook, because other people (i.e. girlfriend, family members, etc.) could one day be looking at those notes, especially since they know that I use Evernote often for many purposes.

Evernote already has the ability to encrypt single notes. This is useful for things like storing passwords or other temporary sensitive content. But it's not practical to encrypt many notes one by one.

I wish I could password-protect a whole notebook. This way, I can do a lot more with Evernote. If I can encrypt single notes, then why can't Evernote just allow me to encrypt entire notebooks? If reason behind this is because Evernote thinks one could lose a lot of data if a notebook password is forgotten, then perhaps Evernote can help recover the passwords through email.

In the meantime, I'm stuck with using other apps (i.e. Pages, Day One, etc) to password-protect my content.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Lets get this added to Evernote a password lock for individual note books is needed to protect privacy 

On 12/2/2018 at 9:41 AM, radiantking58 said:

Lets get this added to Evernote a password lock for individual note books is needed to protect privacy 

You can protect your privacy via the password on your Evernote account.

I also use Evernote to note all my stuff according to app development. A lot of information is under the NDA. Is it safe to use your app? if anyone could check my Evernote at work. I think that the password is a great idea for your customers.

9 hours ago, nicca said:

A lot of information is under the NDA. Is it safe to use your app? if anyone could check my Evernote at work.

I know my Evernote data is secure on my devices
My devices are password protected; No One can "check my Evernote at work"
My Evernote account also has a password.

As to storing data in the cloud, imho, only if you encrypt your data.
Evernote has a text encryption feature; I also use the native encryption in file attachments (pdfs, office documents, ...)

>>I think that the password is a great idea for your customers
You're welcome to add your vote for this request.  Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion.

There are two use cases in which I would like to have my notebooks / notes protected. 
1. Making notes while connected to projector. I'm using Evernote privately and for work. At work I often make notes / todos while being in a meeting, connected to a projector. When I would scan through Evernote, looking for a note, there is the possibility that I show sensitive material to my coworkers. I would like to have the ability to mark multiple notebooks as private (or so) and then enable seeing private notebook, whenever I need them. On my phone I could have showing private notes always on.  // Currently I'm using two Evernote accounts as workaround, which has the nice side effect that two basic accounts are sufficient on my 4 devices. Being able to have work and private in one account is the missing piece for me to get one paid account.

2. Really encrypting a note or even better, a notebook. I know it's possible to encrypt text, but I'm looking for a solution protect files I would like to store in Evernote: Financial Records etc... 

My wife has been recent the victim of identity theft through phone number porting. Once the number was taken it was used to reset email passwords and steal all information.

Please consider bank level 4 digit pin input security at note level and encryption.

It will not only be a selling point over other note programs but a UX advantage with peace of mind allowing a greater level of use.

7 hours ago, Em1 said:

Just say no. 

Why do you want this door closed?

I'm happier with the future possibility of encrypted data; don't kill my dreams.

Is it possible to add a PIN code when you open the software (on windows) ?

22 hours ago, Marty45 said:

Is it possible to add a PIN code when you open the software (on windows) ?

No PIN code for opening the software (on windows)
There is a password option for accessing the computer.
There is a password required when opening an account in the Evernote software.

This is a must have feature 

Evernote desktop client is useless at work at the moment. OneNote is becoming way better. 

Feature needed:
* full disk encryption 
* pin lock or third party double authentication 
* encrypted connection to Evernote cloud (I think this one is OK) 

Argument 1: use windows login instead and close computer with Ctrl + L
Obviously we lock our computer that is not the issue. 
You IT teams owns your computer, they can remote connect and reset your password 
They can potentially access the files on your disk also 
When Evernote is used for personal info, IT should not have access to it. 
Yes they can install a key logger or try to decrypt the files but this is very illegal and can be proven in court 

Argument 2: why reinvent the wheel 
Even OneNote has a feature to encrypt a whole notebook 
Why add a pin on Phone then? 
It adds a layer of security, delaying an attacker 
Is a double Authentification mechanism (simple yes) 
Even better, add a real third-party double Auth on the windows client? 

Argument 3: just login and logout of your Evernote client 
If note sync was instantaneous this would make sense. It is slow as hell.
We need file system encryption to store the cache of notes and a quick unlock with pin to access the notes quickly 

On 4/5/2019 at 11:15 PM, inquirer_improveevernote said:

Is there an update to this? Would really love to password protect certain notebooks and notes (i.e. medical). Please let me know.

No change.  Evernote only supports a basic text encryption within notes.
You can also use the native encryption with attachments stored in a note.

On 4/6/2019 at 8:15 AM, inquirer_improveevernote said:

Hi,

Is there an update to this? Would really love to password protect certain notebooks and notes (i.e. medical). Please let me know. Thank you! 

Well, it's been more than a year since I asked similar question (and voted for this function) but so far I have received notifications that there has been a post in this topic, and when I check it's always the same: people asking and requesting this feature and still nothing happens.

Most shocking for me is that this feature is so logical that it should not be requested by users but proactively developed by the company. And the fact that this topic on forum dates back from 2013 is, well, disappointing... but, we did get upgraded logo which did help me a little bit, I feel more energetic now....NOT

• Like 1

I have the free version of EverNote. I will upgrade to premium when I have the ability to encrypt my data at rest on the EverNote cloud servers.  I've looked for hours and can't find any way to encrypt a notebook within EverNote. Therefore, I can't use this product and expose my information while it's at rest on the EverNote servers.  (I will use several devices to access EverNote so I don't want to use local notebooks which are difficult to share between devices.)  In any case, how is it possible that a mature product like EverNote doesn't have the ability to encrypt whole notebooks?  Why don't they add this feature and double their revenue with new subscriptions?

• Like 2

On 7/5/2019 at 9:32 AM, AWS_solution_architect_DC said:

I have the free version of EverNote. I will upgrade to premium when I have the ability to encrypt my data at rest on the EverNote cloud servers.  I've looked for hours and can't find any way to encrypt a notebook within EverNote. Therefore, I can't use this product and expose my information while it's at rest on the EverNote servers.  (I will use several devices to access EverNote so I don't want to use local notebooks which are difficult to share between devices.)  In any case, how is it possible that a mature product like EverNote doesn't have the ability to encrypt whole notebooks?  Why don't they add this feature and double their revenue with new subscriptions?

You can encrypt an individual note by selecting the text and right click to encrypt.  But this is on a note by note basis and has issues on top of it that Evernote has not fixed.  The primary one is that if you have ANY markup like a bullet in the text you want to encrypt, you cannot encrypt the text.  It's a bug that Evernote has known about for a couple of years and it has not been fixed.  Maybe their new editor this year will address it, but that doesn't solve the primary issue you mentioned. 

I believe encrypting notes is not part of Evernote's strategy.  Encryption has been a request for several years.  I believe they want to leave open the option to read and monetize the content or maybe they are doing that now.  So encryption on the server would defeat that.  There is an app called Standard Notes that does encrypt notes for example.  But competitors that encrypt on the server are few.

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

Our data is automatically "encrypted at rest" on the servers

Thanks to both #pacman and DTLow. The answer is that Evernote info is secure on the Google servers via one of the encryption options (I'm guessing with customer-supplied encryption keys, most likely).  So I now have confidence to upgrade from the Basic to Premium subscription. Thanks!

Here is some more: https://evernote.com/blog/evernote-migration-to-google-cloud-platform/

The data is encrypted on the way (https-type, a common encryption standard on the internet), and on the servers by Googles own data management. Because https can be attacked by „man-in-the-middle“-setups, you should use a VPN when on a WiFi you do not trust (= all public WiFis, and maybe some closed ones as well). Plus activate 2FA on your account.

When the new European legislation on data protection got effective last year, I have signed a data processing agreement with EN. By this putting my (clients) data into EN rests on a legally sound foundation. EN is certified to do this, amazingly some other popular cloud services are not.

If you want to have special data very secure, you should use an additional service. For example account data with passwords etc. should not be filed on a service like EN, the same with credit cards, online banking keys etc. . I use 1Password for this stuff, that comes along with 1GB of encrypted cloud storage for „safe notes“. This encryption works differently, it is encrypted „end-to-end“, so the decrypted version is only created on your own device while using the app.

It seems to me that password protecting individual notebooks is a no brainier. In my option that would add a significant amount of flexibility to the product in addition to making the product more secure. I am 100% in favor of adding the ability to password protect individual notes to Evernote!

1 hour ago, allnetman said:

In my option that would add a significant amount of flexibility to the product

Can you add details on the "significant amount of flexibility"

I see that encryption blocks Evernote from OCRing our files, and indexing for text search

>>I am 100% in favor of adding the ability to password protect individual notes to Evernote!

Evernote provides a text encryption feature.  

I also use the native encryption of file attachments; pdfs, office/iWorks documents, ...

Another vote for this functionality. As an executive using Evernote, I find this to be a significant gap in functionality. I cannot allow my admin access to my Evernote account (where I track my travel, itineraries, meetings, etc.) because they might see my private notes regarding strategic planning, staffing, journals, etc. Having to work around Evernote's limitation is forcing me to consider alternative solutions.

I find this shortcoming to be shocking quite frankly. Especially given how simple the solution appears to be.

I'm more than willing to start paying for Evernote again if they punch below the belt and only offer it to premium users. I'd rather it be available for all users but I'll take it any way I can get it at this point.

In the meantime, I have found a program that will: Zoho Notebooks lets you lock notes and notebooks (you can take it a step further and lock a notebook, then lock a note within that locked notebook with a different passcode). While there are certainly things I don't like about Zoho (mainly the inability to change font and font sizes within the note) it will do until Evernote decides to step-up and offer this feature.

On 8/5/2019 at 7:00 AM, adamallen said:

I cannot allow my admin access to my Evernote account (where I track my travel, itineraries, meetings, etc.) because they might see ... consider alternative solutions

You might want to share specific notebooks with your admin instead of giving access to your account

Personally I totally agree that a good and flexible PW feature is missing, and have voted in favor of it.

If it is easy is another question. Encrypting can get worrisome when on a multi-device-platform including the web client, because the keys have to be shared as well, securely. But this is what SW engineers get paid for.

@adamallen In a business environment with the actual EN solution it can be difficult to lock out the admin. PLUS is a plain personal account, but with a business account, things become more complicated regarding admin access. But I would then place the sensitive stuff into the personal account, and share it out whenever necessary. Hint: This may run against a company policy regarding the storage of business data. Better check this out before.

On 28/8/2018 at 20:38, Shane D. said:

Ciao a tutti,

Potresti aver notato che tutti i thread che richiedono Notebook protetti da password sono stati uniti in questo thread, indipendentemente dalla specificità della piattaforma.

(Questa è una richiesta separata dalla possibilità di proteggere con password l'app Evernote stessa)

Ciò è stato fatto al fine di consentirci di quantificare e qualificare meglio le richieste degli utenti e di amplificare la loro voce.

Sebbene ciò non significhi che questa è una funzionalità che arriverà, sicuramente vorremmo inoltrare feedback / sentimenti degli utenti ai nostri vari team.

Andando avanti, inserisci qui tutti i commenti e i voti per i Notebook protetti da password!

Questa impedisce l'utilizzo di evernote! criptare notebooks interi o singole note(con contenuto è fondamentale!)