Idea

I'm often amazed at how people are trying to squeeze their whole business and private lives into one application. 

To be fair, Evernote themselves do quite a good job at promoting themselves around this idea. Personally, I don't think it's unreasonable for users to at least attempt to do this. 

From Evernote.com: "Your life’s work - For everything you’ll do, Evernote is the workspace to get it done." In addition to how features and other products have been promoted around the idea of going 'paperless' by scanning important documents into Evernote; bank statement, tax returns etc, there ought to be a sense of responsibility in the way the data is secured.

Data synced to servers is encrypted, excellent, and as it should be. The functionality to encrypt the individual contents of notes is there for all to use; many people are wondering why this either has not, or cannot, be extended to encrypt notebooks as a whole (how Evernote were to technically achieve this is another matter).

As for password protecting machines; that doesn't solve this particular security gap. Looking at it from a couple of scenarios such as poor user security habits (not locking systems when stepping away), to providing access to other users, security vulnerabilities within the operating system, malware etc, mean it's not a viable 'solution'.

A really quick example, if a Windows vulnerability provided access to the user account, with Evernote having notebooks without some form of password protection, where would the buck fall for an Evernote user? Microsoft for having vulnerabilities in the Windows code, or Evernote for not doing everything it can to protect the data that they claim to be the place to store; it would likely be both sides. So while there is currently the option to encrypt individual note contents, why limit it to such a small area of their service functionality?

If you believe Evernote marketing any more than you believe wearing Hugo Boss aftershave is going to make you irresistible to the world's super models then I can't help much.

Are you saying that users who have poor security habits and don't remember to lock their machine are going to remember to lock an Evernote notebook they are working in? Seems unlikely.

All of the OS' security vulnerabilities will apply equally to Evernote as any other file on the system whether the application has a notebook password or not. The only way to protect the data is to encrypt it and only have the user have the key to this encryption. On a larger scale I really don't think this is going to happen with Evernote. The small scale and clunky encryption was I think added to check a box so they could say that they have encryption not because they are in any way serious about it.

Finally, if you think that Microsoft or Evernote are ever going to take responsibility for your data then I believe you are 100% wrong. It's your data and it's your responsibility to ensure it's backed up, to ensure it's secure and to ensure that you can get to it when you need it.

Bankrobber, I'm really not sure why you are complicating and defending this so much.

The devices we use are very rarely used by us exclusively and all we want is a mechanism to stop someone handling one of your devices from just opening any notebook in case there is something we don't want them to see. Not to protect us from cyber warfare.

I'm not complicating or defending, I'm explaining. 

If you are a premium user you can PIN protect your mobile device, this makes sense as mobile devices really don't support multi-user environments.

If you share your user account on your PC or Mac then I would have thought that you are leaving all kinds of data as well as Evernote open to prying eyes. Anyone with any real care for their security will lock their machine when they are away from it and will use a guest account for other people who need to access the machine.

Either way, I'll be hugely surprised if this request is ever implemented by Evernote.

• Like 1

I would also support lockable notebooks.  I keep a lot of notes on different jobs which isn't part of the problem but I am on our school board and like to keep my notes from our meetings in evernote.  Some of these notes would be better not read by my children and employees who use my computer from time to time. The problem is I have evernote running on my computer which is handy but also anybody who happens by my desk can open it up and read it.

In the scenario you present, anyone who happens by your desk can also start spelunking in your documents as well, or any other location on your computer as well. Locking notebooks in Evernote isn't a solution for this. You can:

* Sign out of Evernote when you're not using it, or... 

* Learn to lock your computer when you leave it, or...

* Add a guest account if other people need to use your computer, and if you're on Windows, employ Switch User functionality to that account for other users

I don't know if you work for evernote or not but let me tell you something about customers.  I own a business and when a customer has a suggestion, especially when several of them have one I at least listen to them. 

If I have a word document or exel file I can lock them.  I understand all the things you are saying I can do but they are not what I choose to do for my own reasons.  I'm just saying I would like the option to lock a notebook.  If that's not possible then that's just the way it is. 

I do like Evernote, I've used it for several years and subscribe to the premium.  I use it quite a lot to make notes on potential jobs before I go back to the office and make out a quote.

It's not possible at the moment and Evernote's response to this request has been that there are better ways of securing your data (as outlined by wise Jeff)

• Like 2

I don't know if you work for evernote or not but let me tell you something about customers.  I own a business and when a customer has a suggestion, especially when several of them have one I at least listen to them. 

If I have a word document or exel file I can lock them.  I understand all the things you are saying I can do but they are not what I choose to do for my own reasons.  I'm just saying I would like the option to lock a notebook.  If that's not possible then that's just the way it is. 

I do like Evernote, I've used it for several years and subscribe to the premium.  I use it quite a lot to make notes on potential jobs before I go back to the office and make out a quote.

I don't work for Evernote, I am a fellow user, just like you are. Evernote does read all of the posts in the forums, and will have taken this as a feature request already. Speaking for myself, I read your suggestion, and I just don't see this as an Evernote problem. But I don't claim to speak for them. And it isn't possible in any of the desktop clients that I know of, which is one of the reasons I tried to steer you towards using your native OS's capabilities.

I do understand about customers, and deal with them, personally, where I work (also software development). We try really hard to accommodate customer requests, but not everything that's suggested makes sense for our products, for various reasons, and when that happens, we try to convey that to them. Listening is one thing, but implementing is entirely another.

• Like 1

(edited to remove topic possibly misunderstood)

I realize that there may be valid reasons for EN to not provide a locking or private option for notes or notebooks, but I come back to my reason for supporting the request.  EN is my 'one-stop-shop", where I also keep employee notes, etc.  Yes my PC is locked when not in use, however some of my use is on a projector with others viewing.  I can't use EN in this mode, because of the related content and notebook/note names that can be seen by other employees.  A simple 'private' setting or pin to prevent those notes and their content from being accidentally displayed would suffice.  Not trying to project against a password attack, just inadvertent viewing of private data.

EN does a good job of providing stability updates.  As a premium user, it is money well spent for me.  However, this is a big hole in my mind.  Maybe they can put some of that money gained from selling desktop organizers and backpacks into a few software features?  :P

• Like 1

I have the problem that I'm constantly doing screen sharing and taking notes for clients. When it opens to my All Notes list and the second note (in a Personal folder I'd love to have PW protected) shows the 3rd title title down the list as something like "Cancer Test Results," I really don't want the person viewing my screen to notice that. Of course I lock my computer and I lock my phone, but it's all the collaboration work I do that is causing me stress here.

Or another example, let's say I'm working with two competing companies. I don't want them to see a recent note headline about their competitor when I open Evernote. 

Evernote simply doesn't work well in a world where collaboration AND confidentiality are both important. That's a shame because if it had this one feature, it would be a killer app. 

I guess some attorney will have to find a loophole from which they can sue Evernote for being grossly negligent when it comes to security. It would be a shame to see it come to that. But I'm guessing one day, it will.

In theory, the lack of this feature could help facilitate criminal activity. It's a great cover for "plausible deniability." Imagine a person leaking insider trading info just happening to have a note headline about the inside information in All Notes, and then doing screen sharing to take notes with whomever they're talking to who wanted to know that info. Of course they could reasonably say they had no intent to share the info. And since Evernote doesn't allow note-level protection, they're innocent by way of plausible deniability. 

Hmmm. Maybe Evernote should keep it the way it is currently. I'm sure some criminals would be upset if it changed. 

• Like 1

Thank you Etherialgirl!

You provided a very good example of exactly the kind of situation where this feature is indispensable!

Quoting geoloser:

"…pin to prevent those notes and their content from being accidentally displayed would suffice…"

I'm a Premium user for professional and personal use. I have shared individual notes with different people who have their own accounts and later discovered a note was unintentionally deleted by one of those users. To date, I was able to find the deleted note in the Trash, but it would be a great service if we could mark individual notes in any manner: a lock, a pin, a color. 

Any of these features currently available across computer operating systems and software would help keep important notes from disappearing or being modified unintentionally. If there is a way to do this already, please share it.

I experimented with ways to avoid 'accidental' erasures for a while.  The easiest and most effective was to give 'view only' rights so notes couldn't be changed.  There's also a backup copy of the entire database and/ or shared notes or notebooks.  Another option was to keep a special notebook for each person or group in the share,  and to copy files into that as necessary.  I always had an original.  Or you could keep the content of the file in a passworded PDF file in the same note as a ride-along backup.  Or use a premium subscribers 'step back' into the note history to recover from changes.  

Some of those don't prevent notes from being deleted completely however - and if they're not in Trash and you don't have a backup,  you do have a problem

Users have made many good points here, both pro and con. I agree it's unreasonable to expect Evernote to meet high-security needs. But the top of my wish list is some mechanism to make access a little hard for a family member or someone else who for any reason happens to get access to my computer or mobile device. Password-protected notes or notebooks would be ideal for me.

I've seen some posters saying that just as they began to move more and more of their lives onto Evernote, this issue let them to stop using it!

I haven't seen anyone from Evernote weigh in here. I've looked briefly online and don't see any company responses in news/event/reviews coverage. I'd love to hear about the thinking inside the company.

I have the problem that I'm constantly doing screen sharing and taking notes for clients. When it opens to my All Notes list and the second note (in a Personal folder I'd love to have PW protected) shows the 3rd title title down the list as something like "Cancer Test Results," I really don't want the person viewing my screen to notice that. Of course I lock my computer and I lock my phone, but it's all the collaboration work I do that is causing me stress here.

Until/IF Evernote provides the feature you're asking for, a work-around is to make good use of Notebooks.

If you have all your personal stuff in a "Personal" Notebook, then just select some other Notebook so that the Note list shows only notes from that Notebook.  Before you enter a screen-sharing meeting, just choose the appropriate Notebook.

+1

I really think that Evernote should look into implementing this. I would personally like to apply a simple way of securing a notebook/notes for my Journal.

Not to start this game - but OneNote have have password-protection for a long time... but to honest, I'm a huge evernote fan. It'd just be nice to have this feature.

Keep up the great work guys!

Just popping in here - and first joining the forum community - to agree with the need to password-protect or encrypt whole notebooks, and also to suggest one work-around to my fellow frustrated users.

The greatest issue I've faced is at work. I use Evernote for work stuff, but am afraid of someone pulling up my journal and other private info, which could easily be done by accident by someone who is unfamiliar with EN. This has restricted my full use of EN at work - yet it's crucial to EN's long-term viability to be inclusive of all, or at least most, spheres of my life.

As a simple work-around, I just merged all the old entries in my journal into a single note, and encrypted it all together. This was a little harder than I thought it would be - I had to eliminate images and, surprisingly, lists with checkboxes, in order to encrypt everything. That wasn't a huge loss, since I had only a few images, and checkboxes aren't exactly a critical feature. However, this work-around wouldn't fly for stuff that really needs to remain in separate notes.

+1 for me, too. 

Just need somewhere that I can put one more level between me any any other "wandering" eyes. 

Please give us a "password" option in the notebook settings. 

This is a great request - please make this happen! 

I would like to use evernote as a repository for my account passwords 

I have EN installed at home and my office. What freaks me out is that someone at work can easily dismount the hard drive, attach it to another PC and just copy the whole EN database, or just reboot the machine from a USB stick and copy all the EN data.

I could maybe use something like bitlocker or other hard drive encryption but in reality this would be overkill. Most of the time it is also impossible to use hard drive encryption due to work policy where you don't have authorization or control over these kind of changes.

An option to encrypt a notebook would be extremely welcome in this cases. LastPass encrypts the whole local database and is also fully searchable so I really don't understand why cannot Evernote do something like this. I will gladly pay for premium access just for this feature.

I will be contacting support for letting them know. There are many users that want this.

EDIT: Well, it looks like it is not possible to contact them directly if you are not a premium customer. The only option I had on the support pages was "Ask the community". Ridiculous that it is not possible to give them feedback. I wonder how much the EN official employers monitor this forum.

• Like 3

I have EN installed at home and my office. What freaks me out is that someone at work can easily dismount the hard drive, attach it to another PC and just copy the whole EN database, or just reboot the machine from a USB stick and copy all the EN data.

I could maybe use something like bitlocker or other hard drive encryption but in reality this would be overkill. Most of the time it is also impossible to use hard drive encryption due to work policy where you don't have authorization or control over these kind of changes.

An option to encrypt a notebook would be extremely welcome in this cases. LastPass encrypts the whole local database and is also fully searchable so I really don't understand why cannot Evernote do something like this. I will gladly pay for premium access just for this feature.

I will be contacting support for letting them know. There are many users that want this.

There is a third-party application that should be available soon to help alleviate the problem.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/81336-saferoom-zero-knowledge-encryption-for-evernote-and-more/

• Like 2

There is a third-party application that should be available soon to help alleviate the problem.

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/81336-saferoom-zero-knowledge-encryption-for-evernote-and-more/

I've been beta-testing Saferoom for Mac and iOS, and it seems to do an admirable job of encrypting, though it comes with some MASSIVE trade-offs, and it is not exactly a simple application to use. 

The trade-offs largely are a result not of Saferoom's shortcomings, but because Evernote was simply not designed to have fully zero-knowledge-encrypted data within it. 

That being said, for people who desperately need to store confidential information in Evernote and are unable to use other options that exist because of finances or workflow constraints, Saferoom is deficiently a great option. 

I store my confidential information (well, its actually other people's confidential information), in a different program, Everything I store in Evernote is largely inconsequential if it leaks, so I'm not sure if I will have to rely on Saferoom a great deal, but it has definitely been fun to beta test. 

• Like 1

@Scott:

Thanks for sharing your use of Saferoom.

How would you compare using Saferoom to using encrypted PDFs in Evernote?

Another yes from me.  I had taken all my high security, high value notes and put them in a local notebook.  They aren't notes I need to access often (e.g. letters exchanged in an on-going lawsuit might not be accessed more than once every two years, but when you need them they are critical).  I put them in a local notebook because I didn't want them getting hacked on the cloud, and Evernote has had security failures in the past.

To make a very long story short, in one of the Evernote upgrades, Evernote's own software wiped out my local notebooks.  I had them all backed up, but since I didn't know what upgrade wiped them out I didn't know what restore to use from the timeline of past backups.  I think it took about two weeks to get back most of what I lost (but I didn't get back a lot of it).

Anyway, the Evernote support guy told me he recommends never using local notebooks for this reason (and that's something when Evernote's own employees are telling you to stay away from a feature).  He told me to store everything online.  And then I asked about encryption, and then...well that's where this thread started.

• Like 1

Anyway, the Evernote support guy told me he recommends never using local notebooks for this reason (and that's something when Evernote's own employees are telling you to stay away from a feature).

That's scary for those of us who have local notebooks!

@Scott:

Thanks for sharing your use of Saferoom.

How would you compare using Saferoom to using encrypted PDFs in Evernote?

Vastly different solutions to very different problems. Saferoom is capable of encrypting the entire contents of a note, both the text you write and the attachments you add. This means you could have a reasonably active note that you are modifying fairly regularly that is also zero-knowledge encrypted. Saferoom also works on iOS and Mac and Windows (perhaps Android?). You can access your encrypted content on any of those devices. 

Encrypted PDFs work well for, well, safeguarding PDF content. This content, however, is not easily modifiable, so this solution applies primarily to content you are not actively editing. Encrypted PDFs can also trip up some mobile devices, or some apps on some mobile devices, which makes it potentially a bit unreliable for ensuring you have access on all of your devices. 

It really depends on your needs. Encrypted PDFs are pretty easy to create and solve a very specific problem well. Saferoom works well for encrypting totally arbitrary content that you may be actively modifying, but it is a bit clunky. 

• Like 2

@Scott:

OK, thanks.  Most, if not all, of the info I need encrypted is static information, and usually in a PDF.

If it is NOT in a PDF, I can easily create the PDF from Word, Excel, etc.

So, for me, Saferoom does not offer that much of an advantage over encrypted PDFs.

What would be most useful to me is the exact subject of this thread:  Encrypt an entire Notebook.

That way I could just throw all my sensitive PDFs (or other data) into that Notebook and not have to bother with encrypting each and every PDF.

• Like 2

What would be most useful to me is the exact subject of this thread:  Encrypt an entire Notebook.

That way I could just throw all my sensitive PDFs (or other data) into that Notebook and not have to bother with encrypting each and every PDF.

Agreed. Ability to access content everywhere + real security would be a boost over local notebooks, particularly if EN support is advising users to avoid local notebooks due to data integrity issues.
  • Like 1

I appreciate Saferoom's efforts to bring us something that EN is not providing but it does seem a little cumbersome at the moment.

After 2 years of discussion, I was hoping the EN developers would look at this thread and see the need and demand for such encryption. I am totally fine with not being able to index/search contents of encrypted notes if the contents are encrypted. That just makes sense to me as well.

Still keeping fingers cross this will one day happen.

• Like 2

I would love to see this feature implemented. I have been using evernote for a while now and I'm finally getting comfortable with it. I would really love for this feature to be enabled, contrary to what others may think,

I think this feature would be more helpful than a second account. Not a lot of people want to go through the hassle of relogging just to check a reminder or whatnot. We love your "All-in-One Place" feeling to the app, I think this would definitely help make evernote a personal experience.

This is the one basic feature ive been waiting for since the beginning. Every year or so I look into it to see if they've added it yet. 

Password Encrypt certain notes. 

A lot of us keep our Evernote logged in on our "safe" personal computers (home and office). So anyone that sits down has full access to everything. Not to mention logging into evernote in a public place and having personal info pop up on the screen because it was the last note you made (as opposed to that note not displaying until you type in it's password). 

do we still not have this feature? just checking. 

you are aware of course that you can encrypt the text of any part of a note or all of the text of a note?

is that not enough for you?

or maybe you have too many secrets?

:)

ive tried text encryption. it doesnt work for me (Safari, Mavericks). No option when following the instructions. Look at this example of my top secret omlette recipe. (no right-click encryption options)

pesto.png

Even if it did work, I think highlighting a bunch of text ( a document could be very large) and encrypting and unencrypting every time is unintuitive and cumbersome to workflow. A document that quickly prompts you for a password when first opened would be extremely useful. 

that's weird!

on my machine (in yosemite) it looks like this :

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-14%20at%209.35.0

do you also not have the option in the 'Edit' menu like this?

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-14%20at%209.34.3

• Like 1

it looks like it works when i use the software. 

however a lot of the time I am not on my home computer; i am at work, school, or a friends house. 

it wouldnt be an easy solution for me to install evernote on all of these each time. 

but thank you, i got my answer. i'll check back in a couple years and see if theyve added password protectable notes. i'm sure it will happen eventually. 

I float in and out of the forums looking into encryption or "lockable" notebooks and would be happy to add my +1 to any type of extra security. Just call me paranoid but with all the privacy concerns, why would something as important as Evernote notes be left in the open and unlocked? 

I'm not trying to sound like a scorned user, but this is one of the reasons I will probably switch to one note next month when my premium account is up for renewal. It's a fairly mundane request to be able to secure private notes, imo.

To be fair to evernote, I'm starting to like to more free form nature of onenote and the ability to sketch and handwrite (such that it is on an iPad) than enote allows for as well.

I wish that Evernote worked like the tor browser iOS app, each time you opened the app, you put in a passcode then you can access your notes, this would work great with specific notes.

It'd annoy the spit out of me every time I checked my shopping list though..

• Like 1

It'd annoy the spit out of me every time I checked my shopping list though..

Unless you had a secret sauce passed down through the generations...

A lot of us keep our Evernote logged in on our "safe" personal computers (home and office). So anyone that sits down has full access to everything. Not to mention logging into evernote in a public place and having personal info pop up on the screen because it was the last note you made (as opposed to that note not displaying until you type in it's password). 

I'm all for note level encryption, but I don't think we need to include "safe" computer protection in the mix.  This can be managed with normal Windows screen saver password protection.  Protect EN and everything else that's open on the home/work system.

I'm baffled as to how many posts and threads there are on this topic- I don't have time to read all of them.  But really, locking a notebook cannot be that hard to implement.   I use EN to store all kinds of content quickly from many devices- like 20+ notes per day.  I don't have time to sort through all the notes and tag them and put them in their own notebooks.  I have assistants who do this.  I don't want these assistants looking at some of the notes.  To have one notebook where I can stash private notes would be ideal.

I can't think of a successful database-driven service that does not offer this.   Maybe Evernote is just waiting to cash out from a buyout- maybe Google can come to the rescue.

You can have an unsynced Notebook on your desktop and if your Premium or Business, you can have one on your mobile device as well.

Or you could get a second account, free or paid, and save all your private notes in that one. All you need to set up another account is an alternate email address.

I'm baffled as to how many posts and threads there are on this topic- I don't have time to read all of them. But really, locking a notebook cannot be that hard to implement. I use EN to store all kinds of content quickly from many devices- like 20+ notes per day. I don't have time to sort through all the notes and tag them and put them in their own notebooks. I have assistants who do this. I don't want these assistants looking at some of the notes. To have one notebook where I can stash private notes would be ideal.

I can't think of a successful database-driven service that does not offer this. Maybe Evernote is just waiting to cash out from a buyout- maybe Google can come to the rescue.

It sounds easier to set up a work-around for confidential notes than it would be for Evernote to reschedule their pre-planned development for the next x months to get this fix out there - if they've even decided it would be cost-effective to do anything at all...

Agree with comments made - something simple would be a great help. Not a replacement for full scale encryption, just a light filter to keep selected personal files out of perusing view ..

Donna

To me, locked notebooks is by the far the single-most important feature from OneNote that I would want to see implemented in Evernote.

I understand that I can have two separate accounts, but switching between accounts is pretty cumbersome.

If the Mac version for OneNote didn't suck, and if Evernote weren't on every device (even my Kindle Fire HDX!) and so widely integrated with so many other apps and services, I would have already switched to OneNote just for that one feature.

• Like 1

+1 

Really stupid that this is not an option. And I've googled and seen a few threads about this, and see people defending it not being a feature saying thigns like "You can lock your computer". Guess what, you can lock your phone just as easily. There is absolutely no reason this should not be a feature, and it is not something that is complicated to implement. As people have said, this is not something to protect our credit card information from CyberWarfare, its just so that people borrowing my computer wont click in on private notes (with malicious intent or not.) 

Evernote is all about convinience, that is its only selling point, there is no one function evernote has that is not easily repeatable through other software. And it is very inconvinient for a lot of users that this feature is not implemented. 

I switched to OneNote in the end. Usually not a Microsoft fan (being mostly a Mac user) but they have done an exceptional job on OneNote. If you use it with OneDrive you can get up to 30GB free cloud storage too and no need to worry about taking up space and being charged (for going over) Evernote's limited space. Password protection on sections too.

But anyway, thats's a different discussion.

I switched to OneNote in the end. Usually not a Microsoft fan (being mostly a Mac user) but they have done an exceptional job on OneNote. If you use it with OneDrive you can get up to 30GB free cloud storage too and no need to worry about taking up space and being charged (for going over) Evernote's limited space. Password protection on sections too.

But anyway, thats's a different discussion.

I switched from Evernote to Onenote last year. I got Office 365 (annual subscription) which includes free updates of the Office suite software and one terabyte of cloud storage. Onenote doesn't work as well for me as Evernote USED to. But Evernote does not scale well. They are aware of this and have continued to not address the problem. It got to the point where EN simply would not work on my PC, iPhone or iPad due to the large number of notes I had (66,000+) I had. So for me, the $100/year for the version of Office 365 I signed up for was worth it, since I had two EN premium accounts. But as you say, that's a different discussion.

Hi Guys ,

I found a simple turn around for that, which is selecting the text and control click (mac) for the option "encrypt this text"

it's not ideal , but at least the content of the note is protected. 

i'would also love to have this password.Also in writing, security would be great !

And to guys like bankrobber that don't add any useful info to the proposed topic, don't bother to reply ...

Hope that this helps !!

cheers

Original post by :

Meryn StolEvernote user since 2009.In the Evernote desktop clients, you can encrypt any piece of text by right click in it and choosing "Encrypt selected text". I don't know about mobile. You can't encrypt the whole note, but you could encrypt all text within a note. That comes down to about the same.

The encryption function prompts for a password which is used as the key to encode the selection. You need the password (the key) to decode the selection again.
  • Like 1

+1

This would be a welcomed feature, especially in the absence of not having a PIN option for the Mac desktop application (like DayOne has).

In "colornote", a less developped similar app (you can't share the notes between phone and computers), it's very easy to do it (a click in the menu bar).

Hi,

Please evernote can you add a password/code function to the desktop version? 

I love and use evernote daily. I'd be lost without it in fact. I use it for many things, this includes sensitive information that I wouldn't want work or family or friends to see. Passwords and such. Quite often my laptop may be borrowed to work purposes to use a program or fix something, or leisure for friends to watch a film on the weekend. I can easily sign out of other private accounts such as my work logins, hotmail or facebook, but my only worry when I'm handing my laptop over to be borrowed is that others can look in my evernote if they wanted to. This gives me anxiety. 

My only option is not to store this sensitive info in there but this is very annoying as it's adding unnecessary complexity to the way I store things - need multiple apps etc

It's a basic add on to do an optional password on the desktop version. - Or please add function to password certain protect notes would be very helpful.

Please add this feature.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi,

Please evernote can you add a password/code function to the desktop version? 

I love and use evernote daily. I'd be lost without it in fact. I use it for many things, this includes sensitive information that I wouldn't want work or family or friends to see. Passwords and such. Quite often my laptop may be borrowed to work purposes to use a program or fix something, or leisure for friends to watch a film on the weekend. I can easily sign out of other private accounts such as my work logins, hotmail or facebook, but my only worry when I'm handing my laptop over to be borrowed is that others can look in my evernote if they wanted to. This gives me anxiety. 

My only option is not to store this sensitive info in there but this is very annoying as it's adding unnecessary complexity to the way I store things - need multiple apps etc

It's a basic add on to do an optional password on the desktop version. - Or please add function to password certain protect notes would be very helpful.

Please add this feature.

Thanks.

totally. but i'd add it to mobile and browser versions as well.

another problem with not having password protected notes:

say you had a slightly embarassing note, like a poem you wrote, or notes to talk to you therapist about, etc. if you use evernote on your work computer, sometimes evernote will display the most recent note. So even if you wrote a personal note from home, your work computer could get restarted and all of a sudden your personal note is loaded on your work computer screen.

like you said, this makes you need two note taking apps. one for almost everything (evernote), and one for personal notes.

with how popular and useful evernote is, its totally silly that you cant password encode notes. and its also silly that so many people  come out and defend not having this option

+1 on windows/mac

At the very least, why can we not just password protect a selected notebook so when I click on a password protected notebook it requires me to punch in a password saved for that notebook.

I used to use Evernote sometimes within my software dev team meetings to take some meeting notes while on a projector. It hasn't happened yet, but I also have a notebook that has personal team related information, like member contracts, resumes, etc that I could get into serious trouble by inadvertently clicking the wrong notebook and displaying I shouldn't to the rest of the team!

This might sound silly, but it is the sole reason that I simply cannot use this for work related activity.

EN should encrypt EVERYTHING by default, decrypting through logging in with a password, why does this seem such a hard thing to implement? Users should be able to lock/encrypt a note, a notebook, as they prefer. 

• Like 1

Evernote is just a super tool used across multiple platforms - Android, IOS, Windows but without a simple password/pin protect option for notebook/notes it has a major security flaw in case of lost device, device sharing. I have read the discussions on this topic and unfortunately soon have to look for alternatives.

Can someone in a senior technical position at Evernote please comment on any direction to provide this feature - your users are faithful but as with most products ignoring such basic, practical and consistent user feedback can lead to security-conscious users going elsewhere. Thanks

Yes, I've been using One Note for years and just tried Evernote, I love it and have installed it on three devices; I would welcome password protected notebooks too. :)

FYI, if it's only the occasional note that you want to encrypt and share across devices, 1Password has an always-encrypted Notes feature, that is accessible across all your devices via iCloud, Dropbox or direct sync. It's not a replacement for Evernote, but it works pretty well for what it is, and it's full-text searchable.

• Like 1

FYI, if it's only the occasional note that you want to encrypt and share across devices, 1Password has an always-encrypted Notes feature, that is accessible across all your devices via iCloud, Dropbox or direct sync. It's not a replacement for Evernote, but it works pretty well for what it is, and it's full-text searchable.

After finally admitting to myself that Evernote is firmly ignoring users who are asking for this - they've never so much as acknowledged the request as far as I know - that's exactly what I switched to. Consequently, I find myself using Evernote a bit less often. 

Still pretty frustrated by Evernote's seeming indifference to this customer request. Their social channel managers and CEO don't even respond to tweets about it. It's like they all just want us to go away...?

Thanks for the recommandatie about 1password, this exactly the approach I would forsere in EN. Solid Security to initially get in and EVERYTHING inside is ALWAYS secured. For EN not to be encrypted is fundamentally wrong, it's reasoning the wrong way round. So what's the argument for not doing so, Investment, indexing, laws, time?

Investment: I'd expect a lot more potential with an encrypted version of EN, people skipping the app for a justified concern about their data would actually seriously consider it. With all the news around leaks, who wouldn't want their data secured.

Indexing, surely this can be built in, if 1password can, why couldn't EN? If needed there could be a choice, with indexing or without, where with perhaps offers less space and slower Performance.

Laws, I'd be surprised if any law forced EN to keep all content wide open, rather I'd expect the opposite, for laws to protect my privacy.

Time, this would be a matter of reprioritization, if this is a feature a lot of users want, then just do it.

• Like 1

The recent Ashley Madison hack and threats to publicly post hacked data online serves as a stark reminder that data stored online is not secure. Zero knowledge encryption is long overdue.

• Like 2

The recent Ashley Madison hack and threats to publicly post hacked data online serves as a stark reminder that data stored online is not secure. Zero knowledge encryption is long overdue.

massive hacking incidents are now a regular part of the news, aren't they. ashley madison one day, hacked vehicles the next. of course, each incident has its own unique conditions, but the lesson to learn here, i think, is that everyone gets hacked (evernote has been hacked at least twice already).

in my opinion, we ought to assume that anything unencrypted on the cloud is either already hacked and public information, or it will be any day now. this either severely curtails our usage (grocery lists and web clippings?) or causes us to look elsewhere for an app that provides the level of security we need.

you're right about zero knowledge encryption being long overdue. my understanding is that onenote offers it now, so it looks like evernote is years behind the curve here. i hope they re-evaluate their priorities soon. their competitors have.

• Like 2

I simply cannot believe that this is not an option. Evernote is supposed to be the notebook that is everywhere. Apparently this does not include collaborative environment with multi-user stations. 

For example: I work in a building with two stories of laboratories, ~50 researchers with about two dozen experimental stations. Any given experimental station may have a dozen or so users who log on to collect data using that instrument at different times. I should be able to lock my evernote "user account" on the native client.

At the very least, implement an automatic logout of the web client after a period of inactivity. It's just unreal to me that I can't have my lab notebook with me while I conduct an experiment, like I can, say with this other piece of super- advanced technology known as a paper notebook...

I think this isn't the best solution for desktop/workstation but this is what I need and I can got for now. I used a cryptographic program called VeraCrypt (like old TrueCrypt) and I created a volume with 8Gb, it's enough to me. So, I installed Evernote and before first sync, I changed default data directory to the protected disk. 

Some drawbacks can be, you need to remember to lock your workstation and/or close Evernote (even on system tray).

I hope this can help someone.

i doubt veracrypt is doing anything. when you unencrypt and open evernote, it syncs unencrypted to the servers, where your data sits in plain text vulnerable to any hack, rogue employee, or govt intrusion. i guess the only benefit is if someone tried to physically break into your computer and steal data.

• Like 1

I agree with GrumpyMonkey -- It is more beneficial to encrypt a full note especially if it has attachments, than it is to encrypt only text in a note. Why can't the GUID be extended in the database for those notes that have full encryption versus those that are not encrypted. The first part of the GUID can designate the folder and the second indicating whether the note is encrypted through a concatenation methodology. 

Yes please implement this on all platforms. Even colornote on Android allows you to lock a note with a master password. I don't want somebody who accidentally sees my evenote notebooks being able to see confidential or sensitive information.

• Like 1

+1 This should be a top priority for Evernote.  I want to store my vital records in Evernote but just not worth the risk until they get this added.  Using Sharefile for now.

+1 This should be a top priority for Evernote.  I want to store my vital records in Evernote but just not worth the risk until they get this added.  Using Sharefile for now.

i'm no expert in security or encryption, but i don't think sharefile is any more secure than dropbox. they hold the encryption keys. this means that they can rummage through your account whenever they want. they'll also unencrypt it and turn it over to the us govt. if asked to do so. and, if they are hacked, your stuff is at risk. i'd recommend spideroak imstead.

without zero knowledge (i hold the key and no one else has access), there isn't much point in evernote introducing passwords for notebooks.

Support the recommendation to introduce some level of password security for files.it would be very helpful for a variety of purposes.mnot necessary to be high level security encryption...I hav written before and now wondering if anyone has heard from the software company about their plans to address this issue???? Are they saying it is under consideration,or in the works ...or not ??????mi briefly looked for a feedback email and could not find one, so assuming this is the place - would love to hear from them.

• Like 1

Support the recommendation to introduce some level of password security for files.it would be very helpful for a variety of purposes.mnot necessary to be high level security encryption...I hav written before and now wondering if anyone has heard from the software company about their plans to address this issue???? Are they saying it is under consideration,or in the works ...or not ??????mi briefly looked for a feedback email and could not find one, so assuming this is the place - would love to hear from them.

no plans that i am aware of, though a year or two ago the then-ceo suggested plans for "sexy" encryption, so i guess you never know. evernote generally doesn't discuss its plans. try saferoom for a third-party solution.

+1 for all platforms. Would be great if Evernote support could leave a reply here given all the interest. Love Evernote but this is becoming an important enough feature for me that I'll leave for a competitor if someone else develops the right feature set. 

This is a user forum. Want to ask Evernote a direct question? Open a support ticket or send them a tweet.

+1 for password protected notebooks

+1 for password protected notes

+1 for password protected text including embedded pictures (jpg-screenshots)

Hi everyone, I'm the head of security here at Evernote. I wanted to let you know that I understand your requests for full note and notebook encryption. I'm an advocate for expanding our encrypted note text feature to include one or both of those and I appreciate everyone's input on this thread.

As a few people mentioned, adding these features requires time and resources. Building these isn't a business priority for our product teams right now, so we don't have any plans or timelines to add those features.

• Like 4

Hi everyone, I'm the head of security here at Evernote. I wanted to let you know that I understand your requests for full note and notebook encryption. I'm an advocate for expanding our encrypted note text feature to include one or both of those and I appreciate everyone's input on this thread.

As a few people mentioned, adding these features requires time and resources. Building these isn't a business priority for our product teams right now, so we don't have any plans or timelines to add those features.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

This sort of feedback is wonderful. I'd love to see more of it.

Toss in some detailed explanation would be the topping on the cake.

• Like 1

I recently upgraded to the professional edition but may need to cancel or at least stop using Evernote for work. The problem is that the encryption solution I have found - encrypting each note individually - is really not very workable. Evernote should offer something along the lines of what LastPass does for its password sharing. That is let users create a master password or pass phrase. They are responsible for keeping track of this password and Evernote never stores it on their systems. When a user starts up Evernote, they are prompted for the master password. Then anything that is transmitted to Evernote is first encrypted with that pass phrase using AES256 or some equally strong encryption. When notes are synced with other devices, the user would also need to provide the pass phrase on the device. The same would apply for the web interface. The key is that Evernote should never store the user's master pass phrases. In the case of notes passed in by email, they would be stored unencrypted until they are synced with a user device. After all, if you are emailing the document you shouldn't be too concerned about encrypting it. If there is other functionality lost due to the lack of access to my notes on Evernote servers, I would be perfectly fine with that.  As far as data stored on the device, for me, I am fine if it remains unencrypted on the devices. I just want my information protected when stored on Evernote servers.

• Like 2

Rich, thank you so much for posting here, and providing clarification of Evernote's view on NB encryption.

I very much appreciate you being an advocate for this, and look forward to hearing from you on other security topics.

I see this is your first post in these forums, so please allow me to welcome you here.  I'm sure others, like JBenson2, do as well.

• Like 1

Hi there Rich - great to see you joining this conversation! It's refreshing to see an Evernote employee participating here. I appreciate you telling us bluntly that it's not a priority for the product planners. I hope they realize that market leaders don't stay that way forever - when a company ignores the needs of it's core users (the vocal ones who want to see the product evolve), and focus on the wrong things, users will leave. I appreciate fully that developer resources are finite, and there are always more features than an ability to create those features...but I can genuinely say I haven't see a useful new product feature from Evernote in the past two years. I see the frequent updates, but none of the new features serve my needs. My needs, like those of here in this thread, are enhanced security. I want to rely upon Evernote to keep my information safe, and right now I'm not confident in the product's ability to do so.

Are the product planners willing to listen to the community and ask us what we want?

• Like 1