Running Evernote using WINE on Linux

This post is intended as a basic guide for getting Evernote running under WINE in Linux. If people want to share tips etc, maybe we can build it into something quite useful.

Evernote (mostly) works fine for me under WINE and has the last few times I've tried, so I thought I'd share my setup, and if anyone has any further information to add that would be great.

*WINE can be a sensitive beast so maybe a list of known working combinations of "WINE version + Evernote version" may help some people?
**NOT intended as a "please make a Linux version" thread, there's plenty of those. :)

What doesn't work for me:
(I'm not a heavy Evernote user so probably missing a few things)
-New Audio Note (might be fixable haven't tried)
-New Webcam Note (might be fixable haven't tried)

I'm currently using:
Linux Distribution: Elementary OS 0.3 -Freya beta (Ubuntu 14.04)
WINE version: 1.7.25

Evernote version: 5.6.4.4632

Not sure if the below WINE settings make a difference, don't have time to test maybe someone can confirm?

WINE settings:
-32bit prefix set because using a 64bit machine
-set to Windows 7 in winecfg
-running gdiplus riched20 and msxml3 as native libraries in winecfg (msxml3 installed via winetricks)
-have corefonts package installed via winetricks (someone mentioned installing the Tahoma font in winetricks and using a font-smoothing hack but I haven't had any issues with fonts)

Installing WINE 1.7:
Here's how to install the latest version of WINE and winetricks using Ubuntu based distros:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install wine1.7 winetricks

Screenshot of Evernote running on WINE 1.7:

0CJeGvJ.jpg

***On a side note, I remember that for quite a while Google were packaging a very usable combo of WINE and Picassa for Windows into an installable deb/rpm/etc for Linux because they didn't want to create a native Linux version for whatever reasons.

• Like 6

Thanks for the detailed write-up. I'm sure it will be appreciated by many users.

I'd like to point you to https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=30713 - the official Wine App DB entry for Evernote 5.5 . Over there you'll find the reported bugs - a few more than what you listed :-)  - and test results for more distributions/ Wine versions. It would be worthwhile IMO if you either moved your guide there or at least posted back a link, so it's visible to more people. As a user of Wine the AppDB is my first stop for finding out how well an application works with Wine.

Thanks for the input. I will update my post with links to the wine db and other relevant sites. The wine db is great, but can be quite confusing and often fast out of date.

And while I do add relevant info to the wine db as I can, surely there's room on the Evernote forums for some helpful info on running it in Linux?

If you have any tips/tricks/known working combinations/etc, let me know and I'll add it to the post.

• Like 1

Thanks this is great, I've got Evernote installed in Ubuntu 14.04 using POL (Play on Linux)
Adding your suggested dll's made the icons and notes themselves behave properly - loads better

Agree the WineHQ DB is a mess 

I have another thing I did which is useful, I created a .reg file that you can import into the registry in wine and get the important attachments opening in the native linux programs. So doc,docx,xls,xlsx open in Libre Office, pdf in Acrobat for Ubuntu etc

Import looks like this in POL - not sure if regular wine has a Registry Editor?

Registry%20Editor_025.jpg?resizeSmall&wi

Just download it here or the code is below: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mid0tgmpzhu655/MIME-Defaults-for-Evernote.reg?dl=0

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.doc]
@="DOCfile"
"Content Type"="application/doc"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DOCfile\Shell\Open\command]
@="C:\\windows\\system32\\winebrowser.exe \"%1\""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.docx]
@="DOCXfile"
"Content Type"="application/docx"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DOCXfile\Shell\Open\command]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xls]
@="XLSfile"
"Content Type"="application/xls"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\XLSfile\Shell\Open\command]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xlsx]
@="XLSXfile"
"Content Type"="application/xlsx"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\XLSXfile\Shell\Open\command]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pdf]
@="PDFfile"
"Content Type"="application/pdf"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PDFfile\Shell\Open\command]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg]
@="JPGfile"
"Content Type"="application/jpg"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\JPGfile\Shell\Open\command]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mp3]
@="MP3file"
"Content Type"="application/mp3"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MP3file\Shell\Open\command]

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In case any of you are interested on a 3rd-party client, take a look at NixNote 2. It's still beta, and it may take some time to synch if your EverNote database is big. But, a few glitches aside, it works quite well for me on Kubuntu 14.04. 

Version 2 is a Beta, and you'll have to download the source and compile. Quite common for Linux people, unfortunately. There's a stable version 1.5 and a version 1.6, but I don't know how well they are.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently testing solutions for Evernote on Linux. So far every method has serious flaws.

NixNote 2:

- Does not display Shorcuts

- Can't copy a note

- Can't delete a note

- Window shading/unshading display error

- Sorting by Reminders from earliest to latest shows every note that does not have a reminder before any note that has a reminder

- Sorting by Reminders shows the notes that has been completed

- a running NixNote cancels Shutdown/Restart

- last update 2014-05-05

Wine

- Copy note crashes

- Context search appearance seriously messes up display affecting the note even if it gets opened in a new window (part of the note disappears and can't be edited)

- Notebook stacks do not work properly. For every Notebook in a stack it displays a new NotebookstackName/NotebookName. Also 

- Lag in performance/responsiveness 

Edited by pez
  • Like 1
Wine

- Copy note crashes

- Context search appearance seriously messes up display affecting the note even if it gets opened in a new window (part of the note disappears and can't be edited)

- Notebook stacks do not work properly. For every Notebook in a stack it displays a new NotebookstackName/NotebookName. Also 

I suggest that you file bugs for the crashes/bugs, if they're not already filed ( see https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=30713) . Wine is a rapid-moving target and you have chances to have the issues fixed in future releases.

Robert

• Like 1

I'm currently testing solutions for Evernote on Linux. So far every method has serious flaws.

NixNote 2:

- Can't copy a note

- Can't delete a note

- Sorting by Reminders from earliest to latest shows every note that does not have a reminder before any note that has a reminder

- last update 2014-05-05

Wine

- Copy note crashes

I'm not sure I understood all the problems you described with Nixnote 2. I know it's a beta, and crashes from time to time, but:

• My installation shows all links in note text, and the note link is shown when you click the small down arrow at the top right of the note metadata (right by the notebook);
  • There is a "Copy" option on the "Edit" menu, and if you right-click on a note on the note list, you can duplicate or delete it. There's a "delete" button on the toolbar as well;

Can't say much about the other issues you raised.

As for Evernote, you seem to have tried every trick I had in my book. This was the point when I decided to give nixnote a try. Truth be told, I tend to create stuff from the web interface, and use nixnote to access if offline, mostly.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this discussion.

I followed the instructions above, except I already have version 6 of the Microsoft XML parser installed so left that alone, installed Evernote in Wine. (1.6.2), current versoin of Evernote.   It installed but wouldn't open; said I needed to log in and sync my account but didn't give me a chance.

I installed it on Playonlinux following the same instructions, and it's syncing now -we'll see.   

I'm running Ubuntu 14.04.

Dora

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

NixNote 2:

- Can't copy a note

- Can't delete a note

- last update 2014-05-05

Wine

- Copy note crashes

I'm not sure I understood all the problems you described with Nixnote 2. I know it's a beta, and crashes from time to time, but:

• My installation shows all links in note text, and the note link is shown when you click the small down arrow at the top right of the note metadata (right by the notebook);
  • There is a "Copy" option on the "Edit" menu, and if you right-click on a note on the note list, you can duplicate or delete it. There's a "delete" button on the toolbar as well;

Can't say much about the other issues you raised.

As for Evernote, you seem to have tried every trick I had in my book. This was the point when I decided to give nixnote a try. Truth be told, I tend to create stuff from the web interface, and use nixnote to access if offline, mostly.

Copy:

I use(d) EN to manage my ToDo lists. I have templates for repetitive task, so I need an easy copy function which keeps the tags - this exists in the Win client where I can select multiple notes and copy them to a given notebook. The workaround with the duplicate function can work, however it is very frustrating especially with multiple notes (I have to search for each duplicated note and move them to a different notebook one-by-one). The Edit/Copy only copies selected text, not a note with tags.

Shortcuts:

Shortcuts is a feature where you can "bookmark" some notes and they appear in the Shortcuts section (at least on Windows and Android). I usually edit notes in a desktop often while offline (so the web client is not an option), and access them in a smartphone - so I put important todos to Shortcuts for fast and easy access.

Delete: 

As I understand deleting can't be done in a 3rd party client for safety reasons.

• 4 weeks later...

Want to share my working configuration under linux

What doesn't work for me:
-New Audio Note (can't find audio source)
-New Webcam Note  (can't find webcam)

-Screenshot function

I'm currently using:
Linux Distribution: ubuntu GNOME 14.04
PlayOnLinux with WINE version: 1.7.33

Evernote 5.8.6.7519 (automatic update in evernote doesn't work)

WINE settings:
-32bit prefix set
-set to Windows 7 in winecfg
-running gdiplus riched20 msxml3 gecko dotnetfx
-corefonts Tahoma Tahoma2

Under this configuration evernote is running fast, smooth and stable. So overall you will have a better version of evernote than the webversion.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For ElementaryOS : Freya 0.3.1 (x32)

# Initial Considerations #

I had never tried Evernote on Wine before. I used clones and the webclient, but always found them lacking. I wanted the full experience and I wanted it on Linux. I'm very happy with the results. It's fast. I mean REALLY fast.

# Installation #

1. Install eOS
  2. Use SoftwareUpdater to recent version (0.3.1)
  3. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
  4. sudo apt-get update
  5. sudo apt-get install wine1.7
  6. Reboot (or not. but you should.)
  7. Configure Wine [i'm using the WinXP profile and didn't change ANYTHING ELSE
  8. Download Evernote_5.8.13.8152 (from filehippo)
  9. wine Evernote_5.8.13.8152.exe [install]
  10. [Go to shortcut on menu] Click Evernote (and test with dummy account, don't sync your life just yet!)
  11. Play around, see if the essentials work [create, delete, sync, edit, etc]
  12. If all ok, logout and log back in to Sync your life.

# OPTIONAL #

1. Smoothfonts (I needed it to make it really pretty)

bash winefontssmoothing_en.sh

2. tahoma.ttf & tahomabd.ttf (Don't really care for bold)

3. corefonts

# FINAL CONSIDERATIONS # 

I really wanted the latest version (1.9) running, but I couldn't figure it out. Everything kinda worked except the edit windows/preview panes. Editing notes was/is impossible, the WYSIWYG editor didn't show at all, the weird thing is that creating every other kind of note works great but still, no classic editing. If anyone knows the answer, do let us know.

This walkthrough also works with Wine1.6, but I had mixed results due to MONO and the fonts. Got very poor results on x64 distro and repos. Will post on WineHQ when I have some days of intensive use.

Thanks to rolabear for starting the topic.

post-100596-0-09425100-1441464624_thumb.

• 1 month later...

This also works on Ubuntu 15.04 with Evernote 5.8.13 GA which is still available here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/86114-new-evernote-for-windows-5813-ga-update/
Note that 5.9.X gives problems with the editors, so don't upgrade.

(Edit: ) Install winbind (through `sudo apt-get install winbind`).

According to https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/diag/missinglibgnutls ,
I also had to fix libgnutls26 dependency by installing libgnutls28 (through `sudo apt-get install libgnutls-deb0-28:i386`) and symlinking the original libgnutls26 location to it through `sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgnutls-deb0.so.28 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgnutls.so.26` (NOTE: in the codeweavers article they accidently symlink to .28, which should be .26)

The notebook stack problems reported by user pez are due to problems with ordering, these are solved by installing the .NET 2.0 Framework (`winetricks dotnet20`)

Furthermore, disable the tray icon through:
1) Removing the evernote clipper startup shortcut from ~/.wine/drive_c/users/<yourUserName>/Start\ Menu/Programs/StartUp
2) Setting the following key to '0' in regedit: HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote\StartEvernoteClipper

3) Disable "Synchronize in the background" in Tools->Options->Tab "Sync"

Edited by Niels van Adrichem
  • Like 1

This also works on Ubuntu 15.04 with Evernote 5.8.13 GA which is still available here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/86114-new-evernote-for-windows-5813-ga-update/

Note that 5.9.X gives problems with the editors, so don't upgrade.

The notebook stack problems reported by user pez are due to problems with ordering, these are solved by installing the .NET 2.0 Framework (`winetricks dotnet20`)

# FINAL CONSIDERATIONS # 

I really wanted the latest version (1.9) running, but I couldn't figure it out. Everything kinda worked except the edit windows/preview panes. Editing notes was/is impossible, the WYSIWYG editor didn't show at all, the weird thing is that creating every other kind of note works great but still, no classic editing. If anyone knows the answer, do let us know.

This walkthrough also works with Wine1.6, but I had mixed results due to MONO and the fonts. Got very poor results on x64 distro and repos. Will post on WineHQ when I have some days of intensive use.

Thanks to rolabear for starting the topic.

Thanks for the update guys! I tried these and EN finally works for me (Kubuntu LTS, Wine 1.7, Evernote 5.8.13 GA). There are some minor hickups (like an occasional mouse lag), but I can live with those.

1) Removing the evernote clipper startup shortcut from ~/.wine/drive_c/users/<yourUserName>/Start\ Menu/Programs/StartUp

2) Setting the following key to '0' in regedit: HKCU\Software\Evernote\Evernote\StartEvernoteClipper

This did not work for me.

Also EN hugged all cores 100% this morning after waking from a suspend to RAM.

This did not work for me.

Also EN hugged all cores 100% this morning after waking from a suspend to RAM.

Please check my edit: "3) Disable "Synchronize in the background" in Tools->Options->Tab "Sync"

Please check my edit: "3) Disable "Synchronize in the background" in Tools->Options->Tab "Sync"

Thanks for the tip. I have done it, however explorer.exe still sitting in my systray (after quitting and restarting EN, and making sure tray icon disappeared).

I'm going to test for the CPU hugging, it has occured again today (before disabling auto sync), although not after waking from suspend but during the day. I suspected sync as the troublemaker.

• 2 weeks later...

A few comments on the above discussion!

The last version of EN that worked very well on Wine, for me, was Evernote_5.8.14.8221.exe - later versions didn't refresh the note window when you clicked on a different note. The latest version (5.9.3...) fixes this, but brings another problem - the editor toolbar (which usually pops up when you click in a note to edit it) doesn't appear. In fact it seems that all notes are being displayed effectively "read only". I can't make any edits at all. If anyone has a solution for this, I'd be very grateful!

NixNote2 is working very well in the latest release. Although official releases are not so frequent, the Github repository (https://github.com/baumgarr/Nixnote2) is updated often and the author is very responsive to suggestions and bug fixes. So if you're not afraid to do an occasional "git pull" and "make" then that's for sure the way to go. On the issue of shortcuts, if I understand correctly the Evernote API does not expose shortcuts. So NixNote also has shortcuts, but they are not sync'd with the Evernote service.

Regarding new NixNote 2 version:

Thank you for the info on NixNote 2. Could you check the aforementioned problems in my #11 comment, please?

Regarding WINE:

I ran into two problems (Please, confirm them!):

1.  ALT+letter menubar hotkeys does not work properly. Pressing ALT will jump to the menubar, however I can't use neither the underlined letters, nor the arrows keys.
  2. Using a docking station with a larger screen resolution monitor messes up the display in EN under WINE. The area outside the boundaries of the smaller screen do not refresh.

These are annoying, especially #1. So I find the Platinum score on WINE HQ an exaggeration.

So I find the Platinum score on WINE HQ an exaggeration.

Well, the submitter probably found no bugs during testing ... but there are quite a lot of bugs reported by others, myself included, in the Evernote 5.8.x app page. If you find other bugs, please file them and link them to that page, it helps getting a realistic view of what of what works and what does not.

• Like 1

@pez - of course a package like EN has a lot of different ways of using it, so different people will report different levels of success.

I've never tried or needed alt+ to use the menus (the set of shortcuts already defined is quite extensive).

For the issue of the display, I've had this when plugging my laptop into a project. However, if I boot the machine with the projector connected, then EN in Wine uses the whole screen properly. I don't know if this will help in your case!

For the issues with NixNote2:

As above, the Evernote API doesn't allow access to shortcuts, so until EN decide to grant this nothing can be done.

- Can't copy a note

- Can't delete a note

I've not had any problems deleting notes. By copy you mean duplicate? There is a duplicate note function, yes.

Not sure what this means?

I don't use reminders, so have not tested this.

I haven't seen this - if you have "sync on shutdown" set, it could be that this takes some time and blocks the restart? 

Overall these issues don't seem like show-stoppers, and if there are minor feature requests (like sorting of reminders) then these are probably added easily by contacting the author.

Have fun!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well my experience with EN and Wine is getting worse and worse:

I could run 5.8 with occasional crashes (such as changing notebooks and tags within notes) under Wine 1.75

5.9.1 and 5.9.5 is just shocking:

* notes are not even displayed in the Notes Panel. When EN starts one note is displayed but when clicking on another one will not display that note

* cannot edit notes even if I open them in a new window

Mint 17.2 with all the tricks outlined in post 1.

Any ideas for troubleshooting please?

Well my experience with EN and Wine is getting worse and worse:

I could run 5.8 with occasional crashes

5.9.1 and 5.9.5 is just shocking:

Any ideas for troubleshooting please?

Use the specific EN version mentioned in the first post.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2016-11-07 at 8:57 PM, Alexandr Priezzhev said:

To use Evernote 6.x (tested with versions up to 6.4.2) on Linux install PlayOnLinux (it is free), create bottle, based on the 1.8-steam_crossoverhack Wine package, run the Evernote installer, enjoy! Additionally you could want to apply FontsSmoothRGB and Microsoft Core Fonts components to the created bottle.

Hi, I've tried that combination and it is very fast and responsive. one thing I've noticed is that check marks do not appear with this wine-combo. (See pics below. One represents the native windows client and the other represents the web client)

Also URLs don't appear to become links (I can live with that though).
Anyone solved this already. Would be nice to know if there is a solution to this. Thanks

evernote+1.8-steam_crossoverhack.png

Screenshot from 2016-12-01 00-20-50.png

On 12/1/2016 at 0:34 AM, evernote4linpls said:

Hi, I've tried that combination and it is very fast and responsive. one thing I've noticed is that check marks do not appear with this wine-combo. (See pics below. One represents the native windows client and the other represents the web client)

Also URLs don't appear to become links (I can live with that though).
Anyone solved this already. Would be nice to know if there is a solution to this. Thanks

evernote+1.8-steam_crossoverhack.png

Screenshot from 2016-12-01 00-20-50.png

Did you manage to solve this?

I tried this out as well and I have the same issue.

I'm running this with PlayOnLinux, Linux Mint 18 with Cinnamon 3.0.7 with same Wine version.

On 07.12.2016 at 10:26 PM, webbigail said:

Did you manage to solve this?

I tried this out as well and I have the same issue.

I'm running this with PlayOnLinux, Linux Mint 18 with Cinnamon 3.0.7 with same Wine version.

I still have the same issue with checkboxes. I suppose that the checkbox glyphs are taken from some library, which is not installed. Hope, Evernote developers could advice, what is that.

• 10 months later...

I have Evernote running on Ubuntu Mate 17.04. Using Play On Linux, 32 bit wine version 2.19.

Selected Windows 7, installed RGB font smoothing, dotnet45, gdiplus, msxml6, riched30. tahoma. (Some of these may be unnecessary, but it works for me)

Update: it worked the first 3 times, now when it crashes when I try to start.

Clarification: I was playing around with the tray icon and this seems to have messed things up. I've now disabled it and Evernote is working correctly.

Edited by infomediador
  • 1 year later...

I'm using the client for Windows via Wine, without major problems, whether it's performace or bugs. The only problem occurs when we leave the mouse over a text input field and this displays a tooltip making the focus leave the field; otherwise the client is fully functional.

• Wine version: 3.0.4
  • Cliente Evernote Windows: 6.16.4.8094 (308094) Public (CE Build ce-58.1.6897)
  • Kernel: 4.15.0-42-generic x86_64 
  • bits: 64
  • Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
  • Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...

Hello all:

I have fired MS and replaced all their software except the Win 10 which came bundled with my laptop purchase in 2018.

Now I am seriously considering giving ZOIN OS 16 a virtual go.

Thank you for a confirmation that EN Legacy will satisfactorily behave on WINE "without major problems"... which is now the only WIN application hold-out in consideration of making an OS transition to Linux.

Positively,

~ Alan

I just educated myself a little more.
I hope this may prove helpful to others.

~ Alan

You Can Now Install Official Evernote Client on Ubuntu and Debian-based Linux Distributions
Last updated March 3, 2021 | By Abhishek Prakash |

• Level 5

It is „official“, but it still is a beta. We have other threads in the forum asking why there is (from what was reported) little progress on the beta since a while. To me it looks as if EN has shifted dev capacity to more urgent matters.

I would not use the beta on my real data - but of course good to participate in beta, and help getting it to the official release ramp.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, ab1kenobee said:
You Can Now Install Official Evernote Client on Ubuntu and Debian-based Linux Distributions
Last updated March 3, 2021 | By Abhishek Prakash |

For information: that's how to install,  but with no access to the app download.  To join the Beta programme,  start here - https://evernote.com/earlyaccess

I have a beta Linux version - it's pretty much the same experience as the Web version so far.  There are hints that it may be more widely available "soon" (for Evernote values of soon) but NDAs (and a risk of Space Ninjas) prevent me from commenting further.  

• Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...

Well, I have installed Ubuntu 22.04 on my work laptop and no evernote linux package is available. The non-official client I tried (Nixnotes, Whatever, Tusk) have failed to worked and i don't manage to install EvernoteLatest.exe with Wine... So far this is disapointing and as long as I cannot find a solution, my home laptop will stay (alas) on Windows 11...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Merlyn said:

So far this is disapointing

Not sure what you're expecting - Evernote's new owners are updating the basic package for Windows / Android / MacOS / iOS and want (I believe) to get their act together on these platforms before trying to port an effectively completely new app to Linux.  They have officially back-burnered Linux development and probably changed the main API around sufficiently that it's currently not add-in friendly.  Two third parties - Filterize and Backupery - have withdrawn their own products forinstance until they can rely on a steady interface connection.

That's bad news if you're trying to McGyver an.. 'unusual' access route,  but pretty good news for the main part of the user-base who are seeing better security / faster speeds etc - and Evernote's blog promises more new stuff this year.