Security of my Evernote email address

• Level 5*

I just had an unsolicited email from Evernote.  Containing my Evernote account email address in big green type as a mailto:link.  Am I overreacting or is that an especially dumb thing to do with a piece of information that I really don't want to share with anyone else?

In context the email is sitting there like an annoyingly enthusiastic puppy saying 'save me into your contacts!' and 'send flight or hotel reservations!' - all of which are good things to say,  but not when also waving my email address around like a brightly-coloured flag!

-This seems to be the latest in a long line of 'how to' emails I've been getting since setting up a new free account several weeks ago.  All part of a mini-project to see what new users learn on the way in.  So far they've been helpful,  but F Y I - this one isn't!

Why not give me a link to look up my address -if I want to- that will require a log-in on the way?

• Ex Employees

So I checked out your ticket and viewed the email. This is from the marketing teams 'Welcome' series and was designed to educate new users on their Evernote account. 

I understand the concern you have for your Evernote email address, but the email content does not contain any personally identifiable information. We've shared these concerns with the marketing team and security for further discussion. 

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Maybe I was a little paranoid,  but 1) I hate seeing any supposedly confidential details in an open email - payment information forinstance is always **** out of any transaction;  and 2) all due respect to the marketing department,  but they're not in my confidence when it comes to personal details.  I would kinda hope that they were not in any "need to know" groups as regards individual user details...  There's some PM action going on this,  so I'll respond directly in more detail.

Archived