It happened again: Note content in Evernote for iOS did not match note title! (and I lost my concert ticket!)

Yes, it happened again. And this time it really screwed things up for me. I was going to a concert. Had bought ticket online in advance. HAd ticket as a Note in Evernote. Coming to the entrance to show my ticket from my iPhone and… zas! The note is there but its content is something completely different. Anotehre note is showing. No ticket!! Restart Evernote. Restart iPhone. Nothing helps. The concert will start anytime….. I bought another ticket. And lost my reserved place. And my dining table. 

Aaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

:angry:

When are you guys going to fix this damn thing once and for all?

PS: Back home, I deleted the app and loaded up a new one. Logged in again. Notes (more than 5,000 of them) began upholding. This was a few days ago. They are still uploading…. /DS

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hi - your iPhone doesn't load all your notes by default,  just an index so it can find and download the necessary content when you search for it.  You can opt to have notes downloaded - set a notebook to 'offline searching' - now many notes you can see being dependent on how much spare storage you have.  Notes you've already viewed or edited on the phone will stay in temporary storage,  but aren't guaranteed to be available - that's just a matter of luck.  If you didn't have a network connection when you arrived at your concert,  and hadn't set the notebook to offline searchable,  then that's why your note disappeared.

As to downloading notes - it shouldn't take long,  as above it's downloading an index,  not (necessarily) the whole notebook.

I'd suggest you uninstall and reinstall the app on your phone,  and - subject to how relevant the comments above are - make sure you have a photo of your ticket rather than just an Evernote next time.

This is a user board,  so I can't tell you when/ if any changes might be made to make this process easier,  but the developers will have read your post.

You don't understand anything of what I am talking about. Thats why this problem isn't getting fixed. 

1. I am a Premium user. 
  2. I have all my notebooks downloaded and accessible offline. 
  3. Anyway, I was online when I arrived to the concert. 

So, your diagnosis is wrong. 

The note DID NOT disappear. It was there (at least the title of it). But the content, was wrong. The content of the note was that from ANOTHER NOTE.

You get it now? The note about my concert WAS THERE.

But it did not contained my ticket, as it should. The content was something completely different. You understand now?

This only happens with the iOS version. In the Mac client everything is ok. 

Now my iPhone has downloaded everything again and the note is correct. The ticket is there now. 

Too late for me though. 

Are you getting it now? Or should I have to explain this again?

I had this problem before and one of your gurus recommended to wipe out the app and download a new one. 

Not convenient when you are in a hurry to get the info that you need. 

Service in this app sucks! 

I can t believe it!

• Like 1

Gazumped is a fellow user, not an Evernote employee, and therefor has nothing to do with fixing your problem.

I remember seeing a bug ages ago (last fall, or perhaps this winter...?) in which, on iOS, the wrong note body would be displayed. But that issue had been resolved earlier this year.

As to why it occurred with you, using presumably the most up-to-date version of EN for iOS, is a stumper. Looks like it was a short-term quirk that has resolved itself. It's a shame it occurred at such a critical moment. Good opportunity to learn to always have some type of backup. (Evernote should also consider revisiting a mobile web interface which could have saved your butt in this instance... But they ditched that a while back, unfortunately).

Remember, we are your fellow users, not employees of Evernote. NOT employees.

Whether you want to explain your problem to us fellow users again or not is up to you, but be nice to us, we didn't write, design, or provide the customer support for the application you are struggling with, we are struggling right along side you.

• Like 4

Scott, this is precisely why I *not* think even giving limited moderating powers to every forum member with the minimum number of required posts is a good idea! It *should* be left in the hands of level-headed folks like you, Gaz and the others. I would not be so kind...the OP's second post does strike me as a breach of forum's rules of conduct!

Pretty crappy predicament for cfibanez. Not only inconvenient... But also embarrassing. So I wouldn't take the rant personally... However it was good to point out that we are all fellow users here. Good thing that it was an isolated incident.

Anyhow... One thing I make sure to do is check my coupon or whatever it is I need on the device I will be carrying with me, as in the case of my recent skydiving trip. I mainly check just to see that the note has downloaded to iPhone - just in case my 3rd world 3G service does not come through. Then I would have picked up on whatever possible screwup before leaving home.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

The other thing is if you have a large account and you choose to have all your notebooks available offline then of course it's going to take a long time to download and process.

I'm looking forward to all the new mods who can help users like this.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Yes, it happened again. And this time it really screwed things up for me. I was going to a concert. Had bought ticket online in advance. HAd ticket as a Note in Evernote. Coming to the entrance to show my ticket from my iPhone and… zas! The note is there but its content is something completely different. Anotehre note is showing. No ticket!! Restart Evernote. Restart iPhone. Nothing helps. The concert will start anytime….. I bought another ticket. And lost my reserved place. And my dining table. 

Aaaaaaarrrrrggghhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

:angry:

When are you guys going to fix this damn thing once and for all?

PS: Back home, I deleted the app and loaded up a new one. Logged in again. Notes (more than 5,000 of them) began upholding. This was a few days ago. They are still uploading…. /DS

I feel your pain.  Sorry to hear that Evernote failed you at a critical moment.

I have often used Evernote iOS for the same purpose.  By now, you've probably already thought of this, but when I am going to depend on Evernote to show critical information (like an online ticket, sales receipt, etc), I make sure before I leave home that I can see the proper Note in Evernote.

As you can see from the many posts in these forums, Evernote (all platforms) seems to exhibit strange behavior for some users.  I don't know what caused your problem, but I have learned to verify my Notes entered into Evernote shortly after entering them.  I almost always do a manual sync after entering a new Note or making changes to a Note.

If I have entered a number of notes using EN Mac, I sync EN Mac and then make sure they show up in EN iPhone before I go out.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3
  • Ex Employees

You don't understand anything of what I am talking about. Thats why this problem isn't getting fixed. 

1. I am a Premium user. 
  2. I have all my notebooks downloaded and accessible offline. 
  3. Anyway, I was online when I arrived to the concert. 

So, your diagnosis is wrong. 

The note DID NOT disappear. It was there (at least the title of it). But the content, was wrong. The content of the note was that from ANOTHER NOTE.

You get it now? The note about my concert WAS THERE.

But it did not contained my ticket, as it should. The content was something completely different. You understand now?

This only happens with the iOS version. In the Mac client everything is ok. 

Now my iPhone has downloaded everything again and the note is correct. The ticket is there now. 

Too late for me though. 

Are you getting it now? Or should I have to explain this again?

I had this problem before and one of your gurus recommended to wipe out the app and download a new one. 

Not convenient when you are in a hurry to get the info that you need. 

Service in this app sucks! 

I can t believe it!

Do you have a support ticket started for this issue?

This is a very real problem.

The "Download All Notes" feature for Premium users seriously mis-represents the actual functionality (a common theme at EN - over promise and under deliver).  It stores offline anything that you have accessed on your device, beyond that you just get headers.  The setting should be named "Download All Notes Headers" and there should be another setting that actually downloads all the notes AND the attachments.  Further, I'd like to see those attachments pushed to my remote device, perhaps with a "WiFi Only" option.

I frequently have large attachments that I share with others and want to access when I'm away from WiFi.  I don't want to wait while a 30MB drawing is downloaded over LTE, or worse when I don't have a good data connect at all.

It's time that EN delivered on "Download All Notes".

This is a very real problem.

The "Download All Notes" feature for Premium users seriously mis-represents the actual functionality (a common theme at EN - over promise and under deliver).  It stores offline anything that you have accessed on your device, beyond that you just get headers.  The setting should be named "Download All Notes Headers" and there should be another setting that actually downloads all the notes AND the attachments.  Further, I'd like to see those attachments pushed to my remote device, perhaps with a "WiFi Only" option.

I frequently have large attachments that I share with others and want to access when I'm away from WiFi.  I don't want to wait while a 30MB drawing is downloaded over LTE, or worse when I don't have a good data connect at all.

It's time that EN delivered on "Download All Notes".

I think there is a misunderstanding here. 

There is no premium feature called "download all notes", and the feature you are actually referring to doesn't misrepresent itself in the slighted. Premium users have the ability to specify certain notebooks to be available on their mobile devices without a network connection. The user must manually choose WHICH notebooks. They are all OFF by default. 

For any notebook the users chooses to make available offline, the entire contents of that notebook, headers, contents, and attachments, are downloaded to the device storage permanently. Meanwhile, all other content that was not in that specific notebook defined by the user, will maintain the usual behaviour: download headers, cache entire contents of recently viewed notes. 

you can specify whether your device syncs on both a cellular and a wifi connection, or just on wifi. Premium users will have their content automatically refreshed in the background periodically. 

nowhere does the "offline notebooks" features promise anything about "downloading all notes", only the notes you specify (which, of course, could be all notes by selecting all notebooks). If you select all notebooks, it may be possible your device lacks sufficient space to accommodate your entire database, in which case I imagine errors and bad behaviour will ensue. 

• Like 1

[snip]

As you can see from the many posts in these forums, Evernote (all platforms) seems to exhibit strange behavior for some users.  I don't know what caused your problem, but I have learned to verify my Notes entered into Evernote shortly after entering them. 

[snip]

But, isn't that just the problem.  The elephant is supposed to never forget!

I've experienced enought odd EN anomolies, and browsed these forums enough, to know that the problem goes deeper than just bugs...I know that power users, long time users, etc. have stopped reporting these, because they are murder to document and reproduce, and because they are intermittant, etc. and because, even when you include detailed instructions to reproduce the problem, an actual fix is rare.  I feel it must be a problem with krufty source code, or not enough/the right kind of testing, or management problems. EN should be a solid, mature app/system, and a solid mature system simply doesn't have these problems.  Save means save, and in a mature system you can be so confident in it that if you see something amiss you can be on the order of 99.9% sure it was user error (as opposed to EN, in which only 90-95% of the problems are user error).

Slightly off-topic, granted. Please advise a better place to post this.

/rant

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

[snip]

As you can see from the many posts in these forums, Evernote (all platforms) seems to exhibit strange behavior for some users.  I don't know what caused your problem, but I have learned to verify my Notes entered into Evernote shortly after entering them. 

[snip]

But, isn't that just the problem.  The elephant is supposed to never forget!

EN should be a solid, mature app/system, and a solid mature system simply doesn't have these problems.  

Well said, John.  I couldn't agree more.

I am appalled at the number of posts of sync issues that I am seeing every day.

• Like 3
  • Level 5*

I think there is a misunderstanding here. 

There is no premium feature called "download all notes"

Scott, maybe you're looking at a different version, but EN iPhone 7.4.2 on my iPhone 5 shows the following options under Settings > Premium > Offline Notebooks:

• Do Not Download Notes
  • Download All Notes
  • Download Selected Notebooks

The problem was that I wasn't looking at anything :)

Indeed that wording is there. I don't see any reason why that shouldn't work as described, except if the user doesn't give the application adequate time to download the notes, doesn't have adequate space for the notes on their device, or a glitch occurred.

I use a couple of offline notebooks regularly and have never encountered an issue. While only an anecdote versus an anecdote, my impression of the feature is in line with how the feature is described.... Granted I've never used the "download all notes" setting because doing so would obliterate my phone's storage, so I can't speak to how that exact feature works, though from the looks of it, that feature is identical to individually enabling all notebooks to be offline, so it can't really be that different, can it?

Indeed that wording is there. I don't see any reason why that shouldn't work as described, except if the user doesn't give the application adequate time to download the notes, doesn't have adequate space for the notes on their device, or a glitch occurred.

I use a couple of offline notebooks regularly and have never encountered an issue. While only an anecdote versus an anecdote, my impression of the feature is in line with how the feature is described.... Granted I've never used the "download all notes" setting because doing so would obliterate my phone's storage, so I can't speak to how that exact feature works, though from the looks of it, that feature is identical to individually enabling all notebooks to be offline, so it can't really be that different, can it?

Denying the feature exists only undermines your credibility.  If you can't speak to the feature, then don't.  Being an "evangelist" (definition: • a zealous advocate of something: he is an evangelist of junk bonds.) is not the same as being an expert.

The feature does exist, it's reasonable to expect it to download all notes AND their attachments.  I have 20GB Of free storage and the phone has spent numerous nights plugged in and connected to WiFi.  Perhaps as you suggest a "glitch" occurred, also known as a BUG and part EN's notoriously poor QA.

Denying the feature exists only undermines your credibility. If you can't speak to the feature, then don't. Being an "evangelist" (definition: a zealous advocate of something: he is an evangelist of junk bonds.) is not the same as being an expert.

The feature does exist, it's reasonable to expect it to download all notes AND their attachments. I have 20GB Of free storage and the phone has spent numerous nights plugged in and connected to WiFi. Perhaps as you suggest a "glitch" occurred, also known as a BUG and part EN's notoriously poor QA.

What a strange and vitriolic response to an honest attempt to help a fellow user....

1) I never claimed to be an expert, and the evangelist badge (which will disappear this week from all of us evangelists) doesn't imply being an expert either. The only thing it implied (because it is no longer true) was that I had some special moderation powers (most of which are now available to most regular forum contributors). THat means I am free (and have always been free) to be wrong and shoot my own mouth off as much as I wish. The badge isn't itself a sign of credibility. The only credibility I have, if I have any at all, is to be gleaned from whatever the contributions I make in these forums.

NOTE: There are no more evangelists. These badges are a relic of the past and will disappear soon.

2) The original poster did not make any mention of Offline Notebooks or the Download All Notes feature. Quite abruptly you barged in here and brought those features up, even though they did not pertain to the original topic. You said they were mis-represented, but you didn't describe specifically the problem you experienced. In addition, your post contained some misinformation. Headers are always already downloaded by default for all users. The download all notes feature or offline notebooks is not required for headers to be downloaded, they are INTENDED to retrieve note contents and store them locally. If that isn't occurring, that is because there is a problem (a bug, user error, a random glitch...) not because it has been mis-represented.

Something being described incorrectly or misleadingly, as you are claiming is the case here, is very different from something going awry and not working as it was intended.

How about some troubleshooting. What happens if you select one or two notebooks to be available offline? Do those notebooks behave as expected? That is, are the contents of that notebook or two available offline? If they are, it suggests that there may be a problem with the "download all notes" setting in particular.

• Like 1

Just wanted to mention something that could possibly be a problem for some people without them knowing it... or the people trying to help them. There is also a feature when creating a new notebook that allows you to make it a local notebook, meaning that it will stay on your machine... it will not be able to synchronize to other devices. Not with the "download all notes" feature... not ever. Once you create a local notebook, it cannot be changed. All you can do to make the contents thereof synchronize, is to transfer them to a newly created synchronized notebook. 

local%20notebook.PNG?dl=0

To make matters a little tricky, it is not easy to see which notebooks on your desktop are local and which are not... unless you go to the expanded notebook menu (double clicking on notebook section in 1st panel)... if you hover over each notebook (you have to expand the stacks first), you will see a sync icon in each notebook that is synchronized. Notebooks without a sync icon are local notebooks:

Synchronized notebook:

synchronized%20notebook.PNG?dl=0

Local notebook

local%20notebook%20example.PNG?dl=0

Another problem some people might have (iOS) if they are out and about with 3G/ 4G and have switched on "Synchronize On WiFi Only" (settings/ general). Their notes created elsewhere would theoretically not download until they are connected to WiFi, even if they have a 3G/ 4G service. As far as I can see, there should not be a problem with accessing notes on iPhone which were NOT already synced before we left a WiFi connection if we:

1. Make sure that the notes we want are in a synchronized notebook (not local)

2. Make sure that our notes can synchronize on 3G/4G connection (don't switch on "Synchronize On WiFi Only" feature)

3. We manually hit the synchronize icon on desktop before shutting down/ closing laptop (the most frequently Evernote will auto-sync on desktop is every 15 minutes)

4. Physically open the note we need before leaving a WiFi connection so that it downloads (if one has chosen to not download notes in the "offline notebooks" section in iOS).

I have chosen the iOS option on iPhone "Do Not Download Notes". I have way too much information to do that. But what will happen is that the headers of the notes will sync when I have any sort of an internet connection, whether WiFi or 3G. Then... when I lose my 3G connection on the rare occasion, I will be able to see the note headers, but not be able to see the contents of notes - because I had not set them to download. When I get my 3G connection back I am then able to see the contents within notes when I open them because they download once I have any sort of connection. 

Once someone understands these parameters, if there is still an issue with not being able to see notes (unexpectedly), then there is most likely a problem with the app. 

The most common mistake is that premium users assume they will be able to access the contents of notes offline just because they can see the headers... when they themselves have chosen to not download any of their notebooks. It is a little confusing at first... but once we understand these things, we can begin to kick ourselves if it really was our own mistake. We live and learn.

Just saw I repeated a few things Gazumped already mentioned.

Further, I'd like to see those attachments pushed to my remote device, perhaps with a "WiFi Only" option.

Hi Boatguy, you do know there is a "Synchronize on WiFi Only" setting, right? Just checking. You might just be saying above that you would choose that option (that you know you have) if all notes were really downloaded. That's a little unclear to me. Probably you did know that already... but the reason it occurred to me to ask, is that when people have switched on that option, they assume they can see/ download the contents of their notes that they open when they have a 3G/ 4G, EDGE, connection. That is only possible when that option is switched off.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Denying the feature exists only undermines your credibility. If you can't speak to the feature, then don't. Being an "evangelist" (definition: a zealous advocate of something: he is an evangelist of junk bonds.) is not the same as being an expert.

What a strange and vitriolic response to an honest attempt to help a fellow user....

Actually Scott I think you need to just gracefully wear that one. It was a pretty fair comment, one that can be found in other variations. Your post count and frequency, together with whatever unintended/unwanted connotations the evangelist badge adds, DOES mean that there's a higher bar of expectation. When we categorically say something does or doesn't work a certain way, it behooves us to "measure twice and cut once". In this case, double checking, and perhaps attempting to duplicate the users workflow and experience, would prevent us stating that things don't exist when they do.

It's a fair point for posters new and seasoned alike... If you don't know, don't say. Keeps the signal to noise ratio down.

• Level 5

Frank, it is worth noting your points perhaps but it's also veering off the original stated issue.
It's sounds more here like an index or database corruption issue.

Regardless of settings, clicking on a header should either produce no content ("You are not connected to the internet" message), or the correct content (the concert ticket).
Whether Evernote has access to the data network or not, clicking on a note header should not display the content of a completely different (cached) note.

Frank, it is worth noting your points perhaps but it's also veering off the original stated issue.

It's sounds more here like an index or database corruption issue.

Regardless of settings, clicking on a header should either produce no content ("You are not connected to the internet" message), or the correct content (the concert ticket).

Whether Evernote has access to the data network or not, clicking on a note header should not display the content of a completely different (cached) note.

Hi cwb,

I took quite a bit of my time out to do some trouble-shooting... not only for the original poster and Boatguy, but for users who might have a similar problem. The general topic became more than just note titles not matching note content, specifically for Boatguy. I do believe that what I wrote was pertinent. One day I hope to use words such as behoove ;-)

• Level 5*

Cwb - a few threads have degenerated into name-calling,  but by and large most contributors here are as polite and helpful as they can be bearing in mind that no-one gets paid to do this (apart from those happy souls wearing Evernote Employee shirts).  Snarking at someone who took the time to make any kind of a comment is pretty much the same as disrespecting someone who pulls over to offer help when you're flat tyred at the side of the road because they don't have the right can of oil.  Your time isn't more valuable than theirs,  and your sensibilities won't be damaged beyond all repair by getting a non-helpful response.  (I get those all the time from most sales assistants..)

Common courtesy is a talent it behooves everyone to cultivate as best they can...

• Like 3

Further, I'd like to see those attachments pushed to my remote device, perhaps with a "WiFi Only" option.

Hi Boatguy, you do know there is a "Synchronize on WiFi Only" setting, right? Just checking. You might just be saying above that you would choose that option (that you know you have) if all notes were really downloaded. That's a little unclear to me. Probably you did know that already... but the reason it occurred to me to ask, is that when people have switched on that option, they assume they can see/ download the contents of their notes that they open when they have a 3G/ 4G, EDGE, connection. That is only possible when that option is switched off.

Yes, I'm aware of the sync with WiFi only, and the need for notebooks to be synced, not local only.

Your #3 is a good point, not relevant to my situation, though may have been to the OP.

Your #4 is essentially a work around to force the attachments to load before you depart.

Perhaps I misconstrued the OP's problem as it matched my own.  Perhaps the OP did not have the his mobile device to sync via cellular data, or worse, put the ticket in a "local" notebook.  If he reappears perhaps he will clarify the situation, but he seemed to know what he was doing.

My own experience is that Offline Notebooks do not download attachments in a reliable manner.

I've opened a ticket on this.  I'll delete EN from my iPhone, reinstall and follow the procedure which should theoretically cause all notes and attachments to download.  When it has finished, I'll hit the sync again for good measure, let that sync finish, then put it in "airplane" mode and see what is actually available in EN.

• Like 1

I'll delete EN from my iPhone, reinstall and follow the procedure which should theoretically cause all notes and attachments to download.  When it has finished, I'll hit the sync again for good measure, let that sync finish, then put it in "airplane" mode and see what is actually available in EN.

Will be good to know the results Boatguy. I did not have the patience to do so just for the sake of testing. 

• Level 5

Gazumped: I'm just saying, BoatGuy and OP are somewhat exasperated with EN quirks, and right or wrong, come in a little twitchy.

Just about the most unhelpful to them, or the forum threads is when we generate a thread that's 3x longer than it needs to be because it's filled with (generalization not specific to this thread):

• a helping of hi post counters
    • denying the problem exists
    • defending Evernote/Development/QA/Support
  • Red-herring orthogonal help
  • piling on
  • incorrect info
  • telling them "they're holding it wrong" (TM: Steve Jobs) and should stop trying to use Evernote in fashion X,Y,Z

Most of the time (IMO) without fully, slowly, carefully listening to what the user is posting/struggling with, in a speak first, ask questions later, fashion.  No need to belabor that, you and I have gone round on it before.

And we're surprised when we find we've wound them up.

I'm just saying, sometimes all help, isn't in fact as courteous or helpful as it may or may not have been intended.

You are correct that sometimes the OP's need a tune-up.  But almost just as often, so to the "first responders".

But if we keep iterating and rubbing one another's rough edges off, maybe we'll make progress.

I'm just going to chafe at seeing the same old patterns and not occasionally saying something.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

When we categorically say something does or doesn't work a certain way, it behooves us to "measure twice and cut once". In this case, double checking, and perhaps attempting to duplicate the users workflow and experience, would prevent us stating that things don't exist when they do.

It's a fair point for posters new and seasoned alike... If you don't know, don't say. Keeps the signal to noise ratio down.

Well said, cwb.

I agree completely.  I especially like your last point:  

• Level 5

My own experience is that Offline Notebooks do not download attachments in a reliable manner.

I've opened a ticket on this.  I'll delete EN from my iPhone, reinstall and follow the procedure which should theoretically cause all notes and attachments to download.  When it has finished, I'll hit the sync again for good measure, let that sync finish, then put it in "airplane" mode and see what is actually available in EN.

FWIW, I'm finding my offline notebook attachments fine in Airplane mode. But I have only one offline notebook (of 30 notes most with attachments) of 60 notebooks.

As it happens, I have recently exhausted storage space several times in the last week, so if there was some fragility around iOS dropping cached content to make room (as a few of my other apps do) I would think I'd have seen that effect just now.

One other iOS setting not mentioned above, that I elect to have on is Settings:General:Background App Refresh:Evernote set to ON

I would like to remind everyone that this remains a users board.  If you feel any post goes against the forum code of conduct, you can use the report button that is located on each & every post.  Other than that, all users are free to post and are expected to keep their posts on topic. I will also remind you that the report button is not for reporting posts you do not like or by posters you do not like.  It's fair to assume we are all adults & should behave that way.

This is not the place to discuss what you don't like about your fellow message board members.  There was nothing wrong with Scott's replies & it's clear that he was trying to be helpful.  I will reiterate what Gaz said...

Cwb - a few threads have degenerated into name-calling,  but by and large most contributors here are as polite and helpful as they can be bearing in mind that no-one gets paid to do this (apart from those happy souls wearing Evernote Employee shirts).  Snarking at someone who took the time to make any kind of a comment is pretty much the same as disrespecting someone who pulls over to offer help when you're flat tyred at the side of the road because they don't have the right can of oil.  Your time isn't more valuable than theirs,  and your sensibilities won't be damaged beyond all repair by getting a non-helpful response.  (I get those all the time from most sales assistants..)

Common courtesy is a talent it behooves everyone to cultivate as best they can...

Perhaps this thread can get back on (and remain on) topic, since I assume that threads that devolve into this type of "discussion" will continue to be locked.

I think it's interesting that the users formerly known as Evangelists have added no useful content to this thread, only comments about comments and most recently a not so veiled threat to shutdown the thread.  So ignoring those users, here is some actual content:

I ran a test and here are the results:

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.2, EN 7.4.2.310718

EN storage usage before deletion:  876MB

Deleted EN
Rebooted iPhone
Reinstalled EN from App Store
Logged in
Premium > Offline Notebooks > Download all Notes
Connected to Power and WiFi
Completed sync - Offline progress bar is not showing
Forced Manual Sync which completed immediately
Storage usage: 1.5GB
Set phone to “Airplane Mode"

In my inspection of random notes with attachments (virtually all are PDFs), all of the attachments were accessible.  So after a clean install EN appears to have properly downloaded all notes and attachments.  However, this begs a few questions:

1) Why were some attachments not previously available?
2) Why did the storage used jump by 600+ MB?

This goes to my point of the syncing of attachments being unreliable and the problem experienced by the OP.  Clearly not all attachments were on my iPhone, about 600+ MB worth.  Presumably attachments which were added piecemeal since the last install of EN.

Yes, there is a ticket on this so it needs no further comment from the users formerly known as Evangelists (who for the sake of users looking to solve a problem should consider deleting their posts to reduce the "noise" in this thread.  This posting is for the benefit of users who may have a similar problem so that they can know they are not "holding it wrong" per Mr. Jobs.

** Update

On my iPad Air, iOS 7.1.2 and EN 7.4.2.310718

Evernote usage is 1.9GB

So something is still not right...

I think it's interesting that the users formerly known as Evangelists have added no useful content to this thread,

Actually, the first post to veer off topic was post 21 by someone who was not an evangelist. Posts 27 & 28 were also OT by a non-evangelist.  And of course, it's still being dragged out by yourself in your latest post.  Once again, this is not the venue to discuss what you don't like about other users.  If anyone feels a post goes against the forum code of conduct, use the report button. 

I think it's interesting that the users formerly known as Evangelists have added no useful content to this thread, only comments about comments and most recently a not so veiled threat to shutdown the thread. So ignoring those users, here is some actual content:

I ran a test and here are the results:

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1.2, EN 7.4.2.310718

EN storage usage before deletion: 876MB

Deleted EN

Rebooted iPhone

Reinstalled EN from App Store

Logged in

Premium > Offline Notebooks > Download all Notes

Connected to Power and WiFi

Completed sync - Offline progress bar is not showing

Forced Manual Sync which completed immediately

Storage usage: 1.5GB

Set phone to “Airplane Mode"

In my inspection of random notes with attachments (virtually all are PDFs), all of the attachments were accessible. So after a clean install EN appears to have properly downloaded all notes and attachments. However, this begs a few questions:

1) Why were some attachments not previously available?

2) Why did the storage used jump by 600+ MB?

This goes to my point of the syncing of attachments being unreliable and the problem experienced by the OP. Clearly not all attachments were on my iPhone, about 600+ MB worth. Presumably attachments which were added piecemeal since the last install of EN.

Yes, there is a ticket on this so it needs no further comment from the users formerly known as Evangelists (who for the sake of users looking to solve a problem should consider deleting their posts to reduce the "noise" in this thread. This posting is for the benefit of users who may have a similar problem so that they can know they are not "holding it wrong" per Mr. Jobs.

** Update

On my iPad Air, iOS 7.1.2 and EN 7.4.2.310718

Evernote usage is 1.9GB

If we are going to dwell on what is on or off topic.... The OP hasn't mentioned offline notebooks, so it isn't clear that they were the issue, thus it isn't clear your rant about them is ON topic.

But, let's put that aside.

You have posted an interesting test here (if only you had done that at the outset instead of an unclear rant...). This is somewhat troubling.

To me it sounds like a feature is broken, not that Evernote is being misleading.... I don't know which one is worse, though I'd like to think that Evernote being broken is at least an honest mistake. This definitely needs to be fixed.

Cwb, god forbid you should ever be a little left of the mark when trying to be helpful, or ever.

I'm sorry, I am just not willing to clear several gigabytes of free space, download my Evernote database and run it brought the paces as a volunteer. My goodwill does not stretch that far. Instead I relied on my experience with a SIMILAR context, that is, several notebooks set to "offline", and based on that, made my attempt to help.

It seems that two users had different experiences (not surprising, though it shouldn't be this way). It also seems that downloading "all notes" seems to be prone to problems compared to downloading individual notebooks.

And just because my post wasn't entirely correct doesn't entitle a user to respond aggressively. The tone of my initial response to Boatguy was not argumentative or pedantic, at least it wasn't supposed to be, and honestly, Boatguy's post wasn't entirely clear and was a bit vague (which isn't a problem, but it might produce unexpected responses), so I worked with what I had.

Since I am unwilling to exactly reproduce what a fellow user is doing, I will be leaving this thread due to my woeful degree of ignorance.

A note: no user can delete posts, so I couldn't delete my inept responses if I wanted to, though I suppose someone with over 300 posts could hide then with th "remove spam" function. I'll let the community of 300+ers decide the fate of those posts. Oops, looks like I can delete my own posts.... still getting used to these different moderator powers. Nevertheless, I'll let the community decide if my bouts of ignorance should be removed or not. 

• Level 5

I would offer that 3 fingers are pointing back at the former Evangelists. There was also nothing in #21 that required any moderating interjection. You ought not to be harping on "let it pass", if you aren't, yourselves.

No one is discussing what we don't like about other users (that would be perhaps a much longer thread). But rather the comments. It's appropriate in the near context of a comment to reflect back and help refine. It's an honest part of IRL conversation, and it's artificial (not to mention counter-productive) to isolate it out of an online one.

Call it real-time peer moderating.

It's the new "Green"

• Level 5*

Public service announcement: OK, I think that it's time for folks to let this particular off-topic topic go, and move on, whichever side of the fence you're on. That means snarky little references, blame-casting, asides, explanations, rebuttals and all. I'll make a point of reporting posts here that contain that sort of content, no matter who posts it, and let Evernote staff sort things out.

• Ex Employees

Evernote Forum Code of Conduct states that participants: 

1. Stay on topic.
If you really must wax poetic about Montaigne, discuss your favorite gazpacho recipe, or talk about what cute thing your cat is doing today, please take it on over to our Off Topic Discussion area. Try to keep topics related to the original poster. Derailed conversations may be split out to their own conversation by a moderator. 

4. Don’t engage in flame wars.

They will simply not be tolerated. If things get out of control and a thread is hijacked, it will be closed. Repeat offenders will find themselves banned temporarily.

If the continued off-topic actions continue I will be forced to lock the thread and begin deleting unnecessary posts. Lets all play nice here!

Further update.  I went through the delete / re-install process on my iPad.  Good news and bad news.

The good news is that it came out with the same storage as my iPhone.

The bad news is there is no way to know if either of them actually has all the notes and attachments.  Further, since I previously did the delete / reinstall cycle on both devices within the last three months, and they were out of sync by over 1GB of data (difference between iPad and iPhone) EN is clearly not capable of keeping a remote device in sync with the database.

Do not rely on your mobile device to have all your notes and attachments.

A ticket has been submitted.

• Like 1

This is very troubling indeed. I suspect it might really get bogged down when dealing with a large number of notes. My offline notebooks are generally small (usually 3-15 notes) and I don't encounter issues with one or two notebooks like that. It seems that at a certain point, Evernote gets clogged up... That needs some fixin'

In response to the ticket I created, support asked further questions.  In less than 24hrs since I did the delete/reinstall on the iPhone and iPad, they have diverged with respect to storage and number of notes, and neither agrees with the number of notes reported by the web client (support's benchmark).  And this is with both devices having had continuous access to the server in the last 24hrs.  I haven't even ventured into the world where they are disconnected for a period of time.

Once again, do not rely upon your mobile.

• Level 5*

I had some sync issues with 2 of my Macs and iPhone 5 a couple of weeks ago.  

After a delete and reinstall of Evernote on my iPhone, all devices are now in sync, reporting the same number of Notes as EN Web:  11,016.

But I am dismayed and appalled at the number of sync issues being reported in these forums on a daily basis.

Maybe some are due to "user error", but there are too many to discount all of them.

IAC, a well-designed and implemented system should, IMO, greatly minimize the possibility of user error.

I've also been using DropBox as long as I've been using Evernote, and I've never had a sync error/issue with DropBox.

I have had it installed on 3 Macs, 1 Win PC, 1 iPhone 5, and 1 iPad Mini.  No issues.

• Level 5

I've also been using DropBox as long as I've been using Evernote, and I've never had a sync error/issue with DropBox.

I have had it installed on 3 Macs, 1 Win PC, 1 iPhone 5, and 1 iPad Mini.  No issues.

While I lean to agreeing in the Evernote case, I'll contrast to your DropBox example that having observed our company collaborating with Box Enterprise, and OneDrive for Business syncing with SharepointOnline... Evernote is in good company with the range from the simple "why aren't here and here in sync" (either two side by side devices, or a device vs the cloud), or "why won't this file sync up/down", all the way to complete sync disasters (OneDrive far more so than Box).  We regularly have to run a repair which archives the complete local copy and forces a fresh resync, leaving you to find and merge your now archived local revisions.  At $3/mo, SharepointOnline and OneDrive at least has a slightly lower admission fee for the misery than Evernote Premium or Business.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

One thing that isn't often realised is just how hard sync is, it's really really hard to get it to work 100% of the time for a whole bunch of reasons.

I'm not excusing Evernote, my expectation is that their service will work 100% of the time but having worked on some pretty complex sync solutions myself I know that the pitfalls do make my expectation a little unrealistic.

• Level 5*

Well, to me sync is like save, it can and must be bullet proof.  I'm not saying it is not hard, but that it must be designed and implemented right.

Syncing of data and files has been around for decades.  Problems, errors, user errors, can and will happen.  The key is having a system that recognizes when it is out of sync, and offers tools to the user to correct.  It seems to me that every time an EN client does a sync it should at least compare the client's note count with that of the EN Service/Cloud, and take appropriate action if they are different.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Yup. When I tell Crashplan to backup a group of folders, it de-duplicates, compresses and encrypts the bits and syncs them up to 3 different locations near and far. If any single bit is detected as different from the source it's repaired, and I'm notified that an error was found and repaired automatically.  If it didn't, it wouldn't be trustworthy.  A single bit error is the difference between a usable file recovery or not.

Trust in recovery in the linchpin to the whole Evernote system.

• Like 2

One thing that isn't often realised is just how hard sync is, it's really really hard to get it to work 100% of the time for a whole bunch of reasons.

Yes, it's a hard problem; which was solved about 30yrs ago by a variety of enterprise class distributed databases.  EN just hasn't figured out how to re-invent the wheel.

These are the most recent results from the ticket I created and my exchange with support:

1.  I deleted the shortcut which did not displaying properly on the web client and it disappeared.  I added it back, and it’s still blank.  Attached are screen shots of the web and OSx native clients. [sorry these aren't pasting into the forum].  The web client does not seem to be a good benchmark for what should be on the iOS clients.

2.  The note counts are a moving target because I’m using these various clients and some of the data is in shared notebooks.  The numbers are constantly shifting and the various devices are never in agreement.  As of tonight, after several page refreshes and manual syncs, the note counts are:

Web client:  583
OSx client:  1,152
iPad:  558
iPhone: 558

There are not sub-totals for each stack, only for each notebook.  There are far too many notebooks (107 per iOS client) to do a bottoms up comparison to figure out where the discrepancy is located.  Since the delete / reinstall, many iOS notebooks say “0” notes until I view them.  This is with “Download All Notes” in a Premium account and after multiple manual syncs.  Why would the iOS client display “0” when there are notes in that Notebook?
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Nope.  I get claustrophobic-ish when I'm without data connectivity so that's where I spend my efforts.

But I do also see the disquieting note total differences.

Evernote (Windows): 6653

Web: 6571

iphone: 6573

iPad: 6571

All freshly synced.

No offline/local notebooks

How does one have confidence with that?

Noted differences in notebook counts between local and web view:

The webview doesn't show joined notebooks note count:That's 74 notes

My default notebook:

Web: 3698 Local:3702 iphone: 3701 ipad:3700

Trash:

Web: 3485 Local: 3498

• Like 1

My support ticket ran it's course and resulted in the support person reporting a bug.  They re-indexed my notes on their server, uninstalled, reinstalled, downloaded all notes, etc.  Each time the total note count on various platforms diverged as soon as their was some activity.

Even more disturbing yesterday was another user sharing one of my notebooks was not in sync with what I was seeing.  I had deleted a note but even after multiple syncs it was still shown in his copy.  And that user was a continually connected desktop, not mobile.

EN simply can't be relied upon at this time to sync properly across multiple platforms.

My $0.02, with maximum love for all posters

:wub: +++...

Win 7 Home Premium v. 6.1 Build 7601: SP 1

Physical memory 61% used

EN 5.6.4.4632 (272632) Public

All Notes:  1141

Notebooks:

Actions Pending: 110

Completed/Done: 218

Cabinet/Archive: 779

Evernote 5 Help (shared by spgscott): 12

Evernote Help (shared by spgscott): 22

Trash: 14

(Total: 1141, excluding Trash)

Android 4.4.4 Build KTU84P

EN V. 6.0(1060013-public-com.evernote)

All Notes:  ?? not sure where to find this

Notebooks:

Trash: n/a

Web. Firefox 32.0.1 Windows ver. see above

All Notes:  1107 (!)

Notebooks:

Trash: 12

I am a Premium (monthly) account

Edited by John in Michigan USA
  • 9 months later...

There seemed to be a bunch of digressions on this thread, but I just got the problem mentioned initially.  Everything is fine on my mac and iPad, but on my iPhone when I pull up a note I created, the PDF attachment with it is from some completely different note.  It seemed to randomly scramble the note.  I guess I am thankful that it did not think that it was an edited version on the iPhone and then wipe out the real one on my mac and iPad. will probably just reinstall Evernote on my iPhone.  I also have premium and have my entire database on my 128GB iPhone.  This seems to have nothing to do with synching.  It seems to be just data corruption.

• 4 years later...

Like you Sven, I've also just encountered the original issue: a note on my mobile device app (Android 8.13.2) wearing the title of the note I was looking for, but displaying the content from another unrelated note. Both notes I had edited in the past couple of days through my MacBook version of the app (7.14). This has happened to me once before too. It is not only a key functionality failure - as I couldn't find my own data I was looking for - but also worrying; how can I be sure Evernote will reconcile this corrupted data without loss? Both are unsettling experiences, as a user that fully trusts Evernote to deliver on the promises it makes on its tin.

• Level 5*
On 6/4/2020 at 2:58 PM, NeeHawk said:

Like you Sven, I've also just encountered the original issue:

Hi.  This is an issue that was first reported 6 years ago (in iOS),  and last experienced (by Sven,  also on iOS) 5 years ago;  so not,  it appears,  a hot topic for mobile users generally,  or Android users ever up until now.  As you're a subscriber I'd suggest raising a support ticket (we're a -mainly- user-supported forum) so the team can check under the hood of your account. Meantime I'd suggest signing in to check online at Evernote.com to make sure your notes do have the correct content.

This happens to me about every 2-3 months (that I notice). I currently 3,800 notes and I use Evernote all day, every day, so if it was happening to recently used notes a lot, I would have noticed it.

Still, I worry that it happens to older notes and I don't notice. If it does, there's always note history...although the same bug that messes up the note could also mess up the note history. For this reason, I keep Evernote synced to three different PCs: the one I use all the time, and two others that I sync 1/mo or less and at different times. This means that at any time I have two snapshots of how my notes looked in the past, that doesn't depend on the Evernote server database. Finally, I save a copy of my Evernote database about 4 times per year to encrypted cloud storage, so I have that as a backup as well.

Always do your own backups to local storage and to something outside of the Evernote system.

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

Finally, I save a copy of my Evernote database about 4 times per year to encrypted cloud storage, so I have that as a backup as well.

Always do your own backups to local storage and to something outside of the Evernote system.

Using the html export feature;
     I maintain daily incremental backups (my personal Note History)
     as well as a weekly full backup

Also TimeMachine backups (Mac); incremental backups of the database folders

• Like 1