(Archived) Feature request: duplicate notes

patnpm

Idea

I'd like to store my document templates (usually pdf expenses forms etc) in evernote, create a duplicate, edit the file in pdf pen and save it back to evernote as expenses August 09 or similar. At the moment this is laborious - I have to open the file in evernote, open it in pdf pen, edit it, save it to finder and then reimport to evernote and add the original tags.

Can we have a 'duplicate note' function please?

16 replies to this idea

duplicating a file is basic -- as basic as copy and paste.

Copy/paste exists in EN. Duplicating a note is apparently not as basic as you may think.

and since your post was neither helpful, supportive, nor encouraging, its point was what, exactly?

In case you've not noticed, the EN team has been working on many things for many platforms. There are posts by a lot of users wanting many things. Yes, there will be a lot of things that people want that either are not going to be implemented or are not a high priority at this time.

If you need it spelled out to you, the point is that even if you threaten to hold your breath until you pass out & turn blue, EN has to divide their resources among the many bug fixes & feature additions all the users want. Someone is always going to be disappointed that whatever it is they want has not been addressed.

Yeah, this primitive feature is missing. :shock:

But --

Duplicating a note is super simple. No export/import, no new notebook, no scripts,no copy no paste . . .

Find your note.

Edit>Email note. (windows might be under Share>email)

Email the note back to evernote (get your email address from your accounts page)

You can change the title, also notebook and tag , using @notebook and #tag1 (search for email help if you've never tried it).

Can we all just get along? :)

Weird -- Just checked that link again in Safari and Firefox and both work fine.... but I am glad you got things working and I hope find the script useful. (Also glad to hear you installed FastScripts as it makes this stuff a lot more fun!)

Any questions, suggestions, or missing parenthesis reports can be made on the script's page in the comment thread.

Thank you Veritrope - I added FastScripts as well, so it's very easy to run.

When I opened the script using the link at the bottom, I got an error (missing "*)") but cutting and pasting the contents of the box worked fine. I had a quick look at the imported text that didn't work, but couldn't find a missing *). Since I'd already got it working, I didn't bother to look too hard.

for you mac users out there: command-D in finder creates a copy of the selected finder file (or folder?) in one go with a prepended 'copy of' in the title. that's pretty much what we're looking for in Evernote.

its not a make or break feature but for those times you need it, its absence is pretty frustrating.

Duplicating notes was a part of the original Evernote. Actually you had templates for notes that you could just call on. You could even create your own using xtml.

So I agree duplication is a basic feature that has been lost and I also agree that to do it by importing and exporting is cumbersome.

The new Evernote has moved in an entirely different direction, the previous was just like a journal on tractor fed paper.

Under the old format I could drop my emails in and and they would take on creation dates and back then "categories" according to the email info and where you dropped them.

I had separate templates (xtml forms) for things like contacts to dos etc.

Evernote has come a long way and in a different direction (OCR, sync, multi platform etc) and are to be congratulated on a great program but I do miss some of the basic things I could do before.

Before everyone jumps on me basic does not mean "simple" or "easy to implement" it just means a function that is basic to many computer programs - a one click copy and paste.

Cheers

eBoof

i was surprised to find what i consider a basic feature to not be there. i've been using evernote for at least a year and only just needed to use it

So apparently it's not as "basic" as you would think.

duplicating a file is basic -- as basic as copy and paste.

if you're bright enough to love evernote and to post here, you know duplication's fundamental; you're just being derisive and childish. pendolino's point -- with which i agree -- is that in creating evernote to do the amazing things it does, it appears the developers overlooked the more mundane, basic feature of duplication.

bugger this thing is still pending!

In case you've not noticed, the EN team has been working on many things for many platforms. There are posts by a lot of users wanting many things. Yes, there will be a lot of things that people want that either are not going to be implemented or are not a high priority at this time.

and since your post was neither helpful, supportive, nor encouraging, its point was what, exactly?

i was surprised to find what i consider a basic feature to not be there. i've been using evernote for at least a year and only just needed to use it

So apparently it's not as "basic" as you would think.

bugger this thing is still pending!

ping. ditto.

i often need to create a variation of a note, and all of the current methods are cumbersome. even copy-and-paste is cumbersome:

- select old note

- click in body of note

- select all

- create new note

- type new name

- place cursor in body of new note

- paste

why can't we just select a note, then select "duplicate" (i.e., ⌘D)?

i was surprised to find what i consider a basic feature to not be there. i've been using evernote for at least a year and only just needed to use it and so arrived at this discussion. please add it developers.

what i wanted to do was merge two notes but maintain one of the originals. one way to do this is initiate the merge and then restore the required deleted note(s) from the trash.

bump.

It's a workaround - but not really a good one:

- you get a new, unwanted import notebook

- tags aren't carried over (or they weren't in my brief test)

- you have to remember to delete the exported file.

Altogether too many steps for what should really be a one click process.

Archived