Please please please fix TAB size issues!

Hello! 

Please please please please PLEASE can the devs sort out tab sizing so that they're not just a fixed number of spaces relative to the preceding text.

:(  They're pointless as they stand today as they only provide a 'large space' in a single line rather than to provide vertical straight line list structure to a document.

When will this be sorted?

Many thanks.

• Level 5*

If you need 'proper' formatting,  best practice is to use a word-processor and attach the file / copy~paste the content into your note.  The Evernote editor is kinda basic despite recent improvements.  Evernote don't (usually) comment on upcoming developments and you haven't said what version of Evernote you're using,  so when or if this might be fixed is known only to them.

• Level 5*

Tab characters are problematic in HTML (pretty much the underlying format of Evernote's notes), as they're just viewed (and treated ) as white space.

The Evernote editors do support indent/outdent. I use that a lot.

jefito,

I'm aware of the technicalities behind why this is hard... deep in the roots of Evernotes historical platform decisions.

But the general user population aren't... and don't care.  They just like things that look better and work better as a finished article (or note).

In the end.. its the 'little things that kill'.... as they mount up one by one into a frustrating mass of niggles.  Especially when number of competitors begin to mount up and catchup. People see that there are alternatives with less 'niggles'.

:)

jefito,

I maybe missing a trick here but... doesn't indenting simple indent the whole line?   I mean thats what indenting is for... right?

How does this fix the issue?

In the example on the above post it shows the following problem.  Various 'columns' in the list will not line up in Evernote.  It makes them look terrible.

How do     tabs perform?     :Line1
They do     ok                         :Line2
Really?     NO!                    :Line3
WOW!     I know!!               :Line4

• Level 5*

Fair enough, if tab stops is what you want. But they won't be implemented using tab characters in the text (as opposed to tab keys you enter while editing). As Metrodon said, a table is probably about as good as it's going to get in Evernote any time soon. 

The whole notion of tab settings/stops in Evernote would be great (maybe related better control over table properties, like line color, column width, etc.). Evernote's default tables are pretty spartan, but you could probably come up with a template that has the properties that you want, and drop them into a note.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived