iOS App Crops (Cuts Off) Top Line of Business Notebook Pages

The very top line of the Business Notebook pages contains a sort of title (or subject) line and the to-do check-box.  It's an elegant design, and it's very useful.  But Evernote for iOS (ver. 7.4.2.310718) sporadically auto-crops (cuts off) this top line of the page in images made with the Evernote camera function.  It happens fairly often -- maybe one in every 7 or 8 captures -- and I've not been able to determine a cause.  I have to delete the page and re-capture it to remedy (to my knowledge, there's no way to re-crop the image once it's in if you use the Evernote capture).

I've never had the auto-crop feature encroach on any other boundary of the notebook pages (bottom or sides).  Actually, the auto-crop feature performs extraordinarily well for me except for this top-line problem.

Since I've started noticing this, I'm extremely careful about the boundaries when I'm capturing Business Notebook pages.  I'm certain that I'm not inadvertently cutting off the top line with the camera.  And I have a black surface in my office that I use as a background, so the contrast between the background and the page is very high.  Sometimes the error will occur with a single-page capture, and sometimes it'll occur in multi-page captures (e.g., page 3 of 4 will be the only one with the top line cut off).

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks,

-Damon

Personally I feel the 'scan'/document camera functionality of Evernote IOS is one of the poorest features. I find it much easier to scan documents and notebooks using apps such as TinyScan and then export them into Evernote. I find this allows me much more freedom, such as scanning in black & white and exporting as .PDFs.

Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...

The problem with the scan-in-another-app solution is that Evernote then fails to recognize the image as a "business notebook" page, and the built-in features don't work. For example, when you share a page, you're not prompted to just share the top (public) portion... Essentially, the "business notebook" features are destroyed when you scan with another app. It's very disappointing.

I've emailed several times with Evernote support about it, and the message is: we're hoping to resolve it in a later release.

In the meantime, I highly recommend holding off on purchasing Evernote notebooks. Use your own notebooks, and when the software is able to deliver the extra features, then get an Evernote notebook.

Archived