Evernote For Windows 5.6 Beta 3

Justin Street

There's a new beta available. 

Here are the changes:

Improvements
  • Enhanced font support for China
  • Better crash reporting
Fixed
  • Bug where note titles weren't automatically created when adding a note from a keyboard shortcut
  • Bug causing notification pop ups to appear unexpectedly

Please try it out and let us know what you think.

Thanks for the feedback!

You can opt into beta's by going to Tools >> Options and checking [ ] Update to pre-release version when available

• Level 5*

Hey Justin - thanks for the headsup,  and all the work that the development team does.  A lot of the posts around here are about glitches and missing bells and whistles (some of which hopefully will be addressed by this update) and we tend not to highlight the fact equally that the team (past and present) have produced an immensely useful,  popular and downright essential application that's serving millions of users daily.  By most software engineers' standards that puts the team right up there with the biggest names in the business.  Please excuse the occasional griping* - it's the Oliver syndrome;  we just want more and better and bigger!

Presumably this update still has the Ctrl+Help 'extra' debug item menu - I did ask in a separate thread if we could get a run-down of what those interesting extra items do - any chance someone could provide that?

* Don't ignore the gripes though,  please;  there are lots of areas where Evernote could be a lot better...

• Level 5*

A clean install (deleted the old version(s) with Revo Uninstaller after backing up the database). This version seems to have fixed some of the speed problems, but one particular fix I like is that when clipping web pages the title is once again automatically filled in. Good job, guys and gals working on the development!

Recently had some time to look at some old notes and noticed how much the formatting (especially simplifying formatting) has improved over the years. Still would be helpful to have the H1, H2, and H3 header capability, but it is improving (or more sites are following the Evernote standard that allows simplification!), so again, thank you, folks.

One glitch (sorry!): I have Evernote set to automatically synchronize when I sign out.  This hangs forever (and has for the last build or two), to the extent that I have to cancel the sync to get out.  Normal syncing works fine.

Think I may have found a cosmetic bug with this Windows beta.  When I right click the toolbar and go to Customize Toolbar then I drag New Note (the one that offers multiple choices of new note types) to the toolbar, the label changes to New Screen shot.  The button works, the label is just wrong as indicated in the below screen shot.  Edit: The submenu new note buttons work to create new notes but now it appears we have two buttons in one as clicking on New Screenshot creates a new screen shot.

bug.jpg

In previous versions I could click on the tag icon toggle (in the top-right corner when in List View mode) and start typing, and Evernote would filter my tags, showing any tags that started with the letters I typed.  I installed Evernote for Windows 5.6.3.4531 today and it seems to show any tags that contain the letters anywhere in the tag name.  It also seems to only work on the first two letters.  The third letter typed appears to pull all tags.

• Level 5*

In previous versions I could click on the tag icon toggle (in the top-right corner when in List View mode) and start typing, and Evernote would filter my tags, showing any tags that started with the letters I typed.  I installed Evernote for Windows 5.6.3.4531 today and it seems to show any tags that contain the letters anywhere in the tag name.  It also seems to only work on the first two letters.  The third letter typed appears to pull all tags.

Yeah, something seems kinda awry there. User surprise, for this user, anyways. 

• Level 5*

Using the Tab key is still useless. It goes from the note subject not to the expected note body to start typing, but to the note creation date, then it tabs to the note body, but WILL NOT LET YOU TYPE. It just dings at you until you take your hands off of the keyboard and actually click where the cursor is already blinking, then it lets you type.

Can this get fixed? It would seem that tab order is one of the base things a Windows app should honor.

Why is there no "pixelate" tool in the PDF annotation tool?

Hi EdH,

Pixelation implies the removal of data that is "under" the pixelated area, and that is very difficult to guarantee in a PDF because of the nature of the PDF format. It is much simpler with an image because the underlying pixel data can just be removed. A PDF, however, is made up of many parts including vector data, images, media, etc, and overlaying a pixelated area on top of the PDF may not guarantee the data under that area has been fully removed from the page. For that reason, we chose not to enable the pixelate tool for PDF annotations.

• Level 5*

Ok, thanks Johnathan. I appreciate the explanation. I was hoping for a decent way to remove things like SS#'s from documents when scanning them in.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to mass delete shortcuts?

Just asking as I selected all notes from a notebook to drop them into another notebook, but accidentally dropped them in the Shortcuts folder. I read somewhere the maximum is 250, but this I now have over 800 notes in my shortcuts folder. Subsequently, I cannot sync (i.e. a "sync failed" message comes up every time I try to sync, presumably because of the 250 limit?). 

Mass deletion would be nice, since deleting 1 by 1 is going to take a few hours. Yet, I don't see this option... 

Edit: 

Never mind, it seems there is a way around this behaviour. And that is by creating a new shortcut on (in this case) my android device. Then uploading that shortcut and downloading that on my windows pc, which then "overwrites" the accidental 800 notes in my shortcuts.

So, this works, but is this intended behaviour? Anyone any ideas?

Btw. running the latest public 5.6.4.4632 version. 

• Level 5*

You probably need "Synchronize shortcuts" enabled on one or the other or both devices, but I haven't investigated the ins and outs of this to say anything more detailed.

Cheers, but I checked and in the Windows client that was switched on. A similar function on Android is not available and I assume it is dependent on the Windows client settings. Recurring issue though, not a once off. I guess I'll just take a wait-and-see approach...

• Level 5*

Cheers, but I checked and in the Windows client that was switched on. A similar function on Android is not available and I assume it is dependent on the Windows client settings. Recurring issue though, not a once off. I guess I'll just take a wait-and-see approach...

Yeah, I just checked and you're right about the setting existing only on the Windows client. And my small list of shortcuts is synced nicely between my Windows and Android devices, including list ordering. I still haven't tallied the shortcut sync functionality with your experience though. I guess you're all set though, so hopefully it's all moot at this point.

• Level 5

Using the Tab key is still useless. It goes from the note subject not to the expected note body to start typing, but to the note creation date, then it tabs to the note body, but WILL NOT LET YOU TYPE. It just dings at you until you take your hands off of the keyboard and actually click where the cursor is already blinking, then it lets you type.

Can this get fixed? It would seem that tab order is one of the base things a Windows app should honor.

This should be fixed in the next beta release. Thanks for pointing out the problem.

Hi all. Anyone experience loss of Outlook email clipper after installing 5.6? It's in the disabled addons in Outlook Options but will not stay active. I'm on Outlook 2010 and Evernote 5.6.4.4632. Used that clipper all the time now it's gone.....

• Level 5*

OK - you should still have a right-click option to save to Evernote.  If that's not there,  or not enough,  you may have to consider a clean reinstall with Outlook closed to see if this can be repaired.

• Exit the app,  close Outlook.
  • Backup your database.
  • Download the free Revo uninstaller and zap Evernote completely.
  • Reinstall and log back in.
  • Open Outlook .
  • Level 5*

This should be fixed in the next beta release. Thanks for pointing out the problem.

emerick, this is VERY good news.

Could you please pass this on to the EN Mac team.  EN Mac also needs to be FIXED to observed proper Tab Order.

Thanks.

Archived