Repeated requests to login

Steve Klinghoffer

My wife is getting repeated requests to login to Evernote whenever the screen saver becomes active.  She is running a current version of Evernote on a Windows 7 Professional laptop.  She does not have this problem on either her home desktop or her office desktop.  I have checked her settings and I can't find anything that might cause this.

Any ideas?

• Level 5*

Evernote doesn't offer a password lock on an open account - once logged in, the account should stay active until it's logged out.  Does your wife have any software that could shut down an application?

• Level 5*

I can't think of any circumstance in which Evernote would shut itself down,  whatever sleep or hibernate process calls the screen saver.  The app should remain 'open' when the device wakes up.  Sorry,  but no other thoughts here.  If no-one else has any suggestions I can only recommend a support ticket (see below) but I suspect Evernote will say more or less the same.

• Level 5*

This is happening to both myself and my boss. I dealt with it a few months ago in a very extensive support case. Now it is back for me and my boss. We are both Evernote Business.

As business users you'll have access to priority support,  and as you have a history with them already I'd strongly suggest raising a follow-up ticket..  whether Business-related issue is from the same cause as this one I can't say - we really need the OP to come back with more detail;  but it would be good if you could share whatever fix dealt with your original report - even if it was only temporary.

It was onerous. It was tedious. EN acted like nobody had ever had the issue before. I now have a third user with the same issue. This is an Evernote problem. They don't pay me to fix their software or be their guinea pig. I love Evernote; it is the best program/app I have ever used. The company is incredibly innovative. But there is a problem, and it took a significant portion of my time to fix it.

• Level 5*

Jumping to conclusions is in the helpline 101 as being a Bad Thing.  Although the symptoms may be similar,  two (or three) separate faults can be caused by wildly different issues;  and what fixes one may be the absolutely wrong thing to do for another.  So it's SOP to start with the basics and work through a set of standard tests to establish exactly what's going wrong, and where it happens.  That isn't Evernote expecting you to help them tech the issues - that's them helping you to fix whatever it was.  If you're not prepared to spend any time fixing the issue - which seems not to be the problem that was identified last time,  despite all the testing - then you're going to be seeing a lot of log-in screens,  because there's no other way to fix the problem.

And assuming that my issue is only my issue is also a bad thing. At some point, it is a better solution to fix the software. If I know that EN techs were engaged with my issue I would set aside a few hours and focus on the login. But that is not how it was. The response time gap was an issue for my schedule. I have been doing tech support for 20 years in nearly all areas of technology. I am aware that different issues may yield the similar symptoms. And there are other ways to fix the problem. I never make my users do the work. I am the tech. They are the user. They pay me; not the other way around.

• Level 5*

...but if your users won't help you find the problem,  how do you fix the software?  Sounds like we'll have to agree to disagree - hope you get your issue fixed sometime.

Archived