Granting my wife Modify and Invite access.

My wife and I started using Evernote a few months ago. I setup a Notebook "Swift family stuff" and granted her Modify and Invite access.

Today, this has all fallen apart.  When she opened Evernote on her phone, it removed her share.

When I went into Evernote, I couldn't add my wife with Modify and Invite access.

I thought that I could share one notebook in Write mode without a Premium account.  Has this changed recently?

hmmmmm

As far as I know you should be able to still share one Notebook read/right

so . .. .  lets do some trouble shooting

What platform as you working from ?

desktop?   windows?  windows 8?  Mac?

What platform is she working from?

you mentioned phone what kind?

Has she ever logged in and got to shared Notebook before? Yes? No? what platform?

Your "Swift family stuff" Notebook,  Is this a local notebook only on your computer or is it synched to the cloud?

Have you, yourself seen the notebook on your phone?

Is this the first time you ever tried to share a notebook before?

Thank you for your prompt response. I may drop offline sometime soon (late evening here).

I have Evernote on my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone, Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet, and Windows 7. My wife uses it just on her Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini phone.

I had a free account, and I shared my "Swift family stuff" notebook with my wife.  She could see the notebook, and the contained notes. She could also update them.  We use this mechanism to share shopping lists for the retailers we use. This worked fine for a month or two (apart from occasional sync glitches). Then we stopped using Evernote for a month or two (we were on an extended tour in our motorhome, with no internet access).

I haven't synched to the cloud (as far as I know). I saw no benefit, and we're both feeling our way gradually with Evernote.

My memory's not good (hence Evernote, to keep track of stuff), but I used my free account to share this one notebook, and it worked as expected for a few months, across the four devices we use regularly. So, being a free account, it WAS the first notebook I'd shared, and with a free account, it was set to stay that way...

But I may have muddied the waters by upgrading to Premium.  This gave me back the ability to share the Notebook Read/Write, but my wife's Evernote (Galaxy S4 Mini) reports "Couldn't retrieve notebook info".  It's not a network error, as other apps are working.

I wonder if we need to update the release of Evernote on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini? It's conceivable that it's not been updated in quite a few weeks.

I wonder if we need to update the release of Evernote on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini? It's conceivable that it's not been updated in quite a few weeks.

Yes I think you are on the right path. Try uninstalling her app on her phone and then installing a fresh new app. Make sure she logs in using her same name and password as she has before -- make sure she doesn't start a new account

when she logs in everything should synch ok, you might need to re-submit the share request to her that she will need to accept again

try that and then let us know how it goes, Thank you for all the information we can see what you may or may not have been doing right

Yes I think you are on the right path. Try uninstalling her app on her phone and then installing a fresh new app. Make sure she logs in using her same name and password as she has before -- make sure she doesn't start a new account

when she logs in everything should synch ok, you might need to re-submit the share request to her that she will need to accept again

try that and then let us know how it goes, Thank you for all the information we can see what you may or may not have been doing right

This was going well until I asked my wife "What's the password to your Gmail account"... we'll have to call it a day at this point and see how we get on tomorrow.

This was going well until I asked my wife "What's the password to your Gmail account"... we'll have to call it a day at this point and see how we get on tomorrow.

Ha . . . . . another option, if your wife doesn't use evernote all that much and you don't have anything particularly secrete in yours, just let her use your account on her phone. That's what I do with my wife.  If you have an esoteric project that she would have no interest in -- move it to a free account  -- you can have more than one free account

It is important to know -- if it is showing up on your phone then it is synched to Evernote servers and in the cloud so watch what you are putting there with your financial papers -- you can keep those private off line -- none synched

• Level 5*

As an extra suggestion - take this back to basics,  and re-share your notes/ notebooks with your wife.  (You may have to stop sharing first.)  I'm speculating that upgrading to Premium might have effectively re-set any sharing permissions you had already allocated in the Free account,  and you'll have to reissue / renew again them to allow your wife access.  If that is the case I think it's a bug and the developers need to look at that - what other product celebrates you upgrading your account by killing one of the features that you were already using as a taster?

I've woken up in a confused state of mind... I've struggled even to reach this discussion. So I may go quiet for a while, until things improve. 

Take your time Swifty, just another thought about sharing an account -- For me, between the two of us (my wife and I),  I always thought the two of us makes me a pretty good effective person -- it just works really well for us.

This all started working this morning (about 12 hours ago now), when my wife remembered her password.  Or maybe it was yesterday morning.  

I'd migrated to Premium, which allowed me to share my notebook again. This didn't fix the problem though.

I'd also uninstalled/re-installed evernote on my wife's Galaxy S4 Mini (because she was getting an error accepting the share invitation). This seems to have been the touchstone. 

I don't object to paying the Premium price, as I'll probably avail myself of the extra features. So, all's well that ends well, and thankyou for the help offered here.

From a technical perspective (I worked in Technical Support in IBM for 37 years) it would have been nice to find out the underlying cause of the "Couldn't retrieve notebook info" error on my wife's phone, but that's water under the bridge now. Incidentally, I tried to update her Evernote (before un-installing it) but was told it was already on the latest version. So it's not a newer version of the code which fixed the problem.

Archived