Suggestion: Rotate image

jepet

Idea

I'm pretty impressed with the evernote client for Android so far!

A suggestion:

I tried uploading an image from the phone last night, and it worked pretty well. Perhaps it's just me not knowing enough about the evernote client, but I'd like to be able to rotate the image afterwards, or perhaps the client could do even do that automatically, if the phone is held vertically.

Keep up the great work, it looks great!

Regards

/Jesper Thuun-Petersen

52 replies to this idea

+1 for me

not being able to rotate images in the mobile app is a pain - i can sync it down to a desktop pc then save the image, rotate it, reimport it back to ever-note desktop, sync it back to the cloud and then sync it down to my android device - that just seems a bit like overkill when all i want is the image to be rotated on my mobile device...

There may be an image app you can use on your phone. That's what I do with my iPhone, if I need to rotate, resize or crop an image. I use the iPhone camera, Photogene to make any mods & then email it directly to my Evernote account.

that would be nice except...

a) if i take the picture using evernote then its not editable in android :-(

:) if i take the picture outside the app and then rotate it on the phone in gallary so its correct orientation and then attach it to ever note then sometimes it STILL seems to import it the wrong way round ( it really does make no sense )

c) emailing it to myself via the ever-note alias does seem a little backwards, though sometimes i try that also

in the end i sometimes just sigh and turn my head sideways, i may get a sore neck but its simple and works - image rotation is not a killer feature - its just a minor irritation - and its the minor irritations that tend to get remembered and moaned about...

The inability to rotate images within Evernote is incredibly frustrating.

I understand that they have limited resources and can only implement X number of features for each release.

From my standpoint, the amount of time spent adjusting images has become so aggravating, it warrants consideration for development.

I hope they have focus groups / customer surveys where they are getting this feedback so it can stack rank near the top of an upcoming release.

I love using Evernote, but not enough to put up with something that seems like such a basic feature like image rotation.

In the mean time, if I find another service that is similar and incorporates this feature, I will move all my files to that service.

• Level 5

I hope they have focus groups / customer surveys where they are getting this feedback so it can stack rank near the top of an upcoming release.

I would not be surprised if a focus group study showed Evernote users with large collections of photographs tend to use services dedicated to photography like Flickr, Picasa or Photobucket.

+1 for image rotation. Workaround suggestions are nice, but don't address what is clearly a "table stakes" feature that should get incorporated into Evernote itself. I wouldn't want to have to open text in a word processor in order to add italics and then import into Evernote, right?

+1 again (I've been using evernote for a day, and already I want this feature)

I use my HTC Thunderbolt to scan documents and store to evernote. The snap function in evernote, however, does not take as good quality a scan as the free software I use, CamScanner. It's easy enough to scan with CamScanner and share the image with evernote, but one of two things happens:

1) If I share the jpg image directly, evernote for some reason rotates the image by 90 degrees upon importing, putting a correctly scanned document sideways... disconcerting. I realize I can't expect evernote to handle all 3rd party functionality, but here's an example of why putting in a simple rotate feature could prevent the worries about seamless integration with other apps.

2) If I save the image as a PDF file in Camscanner and then share it, it keeps the proper orientation, but then I can't view the images in the note summary screen of my android app like I could with standard images. In this case, the suggestion would then be to offer image previews of PDF files

• Level 5

I would think that the ability to rotate an image should be the phone designer's responsibility.

After all, they are the ones that built the camera into the phone.

+1 big time.

Evernote pushes one of it's main uses as being able to quickly snap documents with your phone so you don't need to worry about bits of paper. I have been very happily using this functionality recently, except for one thing: for some reason on my phone the documents almost always end up side on. This is a serious problem for a feature which is one of the main marketing draws of the app and otherwise works nicely.

I would think that the ability to rotate an image should be the phone designer's responsibility.

After all, they are the ones that built the camera into the phone.

The pictures I take with the standard camera software on my phone I CAN rotate. It's the snapshots I take using Evernote that can't be rotated.

I'm a premium user and I use Evernote all the time at the moment, but this is such a basic functionality if you give the option to take a snapshot that either you should add it, or take out the snapshot option and force people to use the camera software and then attach it to Evernote after you put it right side up in the native software.

I keep on forgetting about it, then take a snapshot and then feel silly when I want to read it and turn my phone, which will only result in the picture turning again too. :-?

It's in no way a dealbreaker for me concerning Evernote but the program is such a breath of fresh air in easy to use functionality compared to other stuff that it's really in the spirit of the product that this is implemented too.

+1; I'd love the ability to rotate images within the app. In my case, the pain point is using my scanner to scan directly to the Evernote Windows app. From there, I occasionally need to rotate images that were too wide to fit through the scanner in their intended orientation. It's possible to save the image, rotate it outside of Evernote, then save it back in, but Evernote is awesome because it's so streamlined. This process sticks out like a sore thumb.

• Level 5*
but come on evernote, I'm paying you for this sort of thing????

You're paying Evernote for what it actually does, not what you assumed it does. However, if you're dissatisfied, you can most likely get a refund.

+1 for image rotation within the Evernote Android app, and/or better handling re importing of images already correctly oriented with the phone camera's gallery. Noted that this is on the roadmap and looking forward to the fix. Thanks for a great product.

+1

This is such a basic feature, but it's missing. Come on, the amount of time I waste because of this is crazy. Signing in to this forum with it's own sign in system is a pain too. Why not link the two? If that feature is available, I didn't see it.

Signing in to this forum with it's own sign in system is a pain too. Why not link the two?

Because some people don't want their EN user name as their forum name. Some people have multiple accounts. Some people who post here don't even have an EN account, yet & may find EN isn't the app for them & never do set up an EN account.

• Level 5
+1

This is such a basic feature, but it's missing. Come on, the amount of time I waste because of this is crazy. Signing in to this forum with it's own sign in system is a pain too. Why not link the two? If that feature is available, I didn't see it.

Bad idea.

I have a lot of important information stored in Evernote.

I would not want my Evernote client user ID posted all over this forum for unethical folks to hack my account.

+1

Workaround: use the Windows Evernote app to rotate pics taken with an Android cam that display wrong in the Android app. From the Win Evernote app: open pic in external picture editing app, rotate, save. Evernote WinApp picks up the changed pic, and the correction propagates back to the Cloud and Android. This went fast for 20 pics.

-- MrA

Guys. This is a layup. PLEASE allow rotation of photos inside EN.

Some people "only need" rotation. Some people "only need" annotation. Some people "only need" resizing, Etc, etc, etc. Evernote (on all clients) tends to hand off file editing to third party apps. That way they don't have to reinvent the wheel and can focus on their niche product.

+1

Workaround: use the Windows Evernote app to rotate pics taken with an Android cam that display wrong in the Android app. From the Win Evernote app: open pic in external picture editing app, rotate, save. Evernote WinApp picks up the changed pic, and the correction propagates back to the Cloud and Android. This went fast for 20 pics.

-- MrA

this worked! thank you!!

the only odd thing is that when i right clicked and opened with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, nothing happened. when i double clicked the image, though, it opened up in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. i could right click and open with any other program. don't know if it's because Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is my default viewer, if it's a bug, or something else. but double clicking was easier anyway, once i realized that would work.

thanks again! good workaround.

• Level 5*

I'm just getting to grips with the Evernote Android app, but picture rotation has never been a problem. I was having more of an issue with file sizes until I found out how to change the camera resolution, but in any case of big files or sideways pictures I simply used the desktop client, opened the picture in a free image editor (I use XnView - http://www.xnview.com/ - which is set as my system default editor) and resized / changed DPI / rotated it and re-saved. The behaviour of the EN app depends on whether I take a picture with the 'phone camera in Android and then "share" it to Evernote, or whether I add a note and embed a picture from within the app. In the first case, the pic is stored on my 'phone and I can edit it (with another app) to crop/ rotate etc and then share it to EN. If anyone has any tips for good Android photo or editing apps that will link in to Evernote please share, but while it might be nice to have a quick "rotate" option for emergencies, I can see that Evernote could find themselves on the way to including a full picture editor as part of the solution. First rotation, then cropping...

First rotation, then cropping...

Then annotation. Then people would want to be able to edit voice notes. Etc, etc, etc. :D And of course, that would need to be done across all clients, to be consistent. IMO, while it's a bit more work on the user's end (I do quite a bit of photo editing myself - mostly rotation), I'm glad EN leaves file editing to third party apps.

This is ***** - I suggested and begged for this feature over a year ago. You don't want to build a "rotate" into the Android platform version of Evernote? Fine. But at least implement it on your damn website so we can go in AFTER THE FACT and rotate our images.

Here we are 1 year later still without a very simple feature. Dolts...

Why oh why did I ever allow my auto-renew to go through on this garbage? I'm just going to keep converting to PDF with OCR software at home and uploading to gmail. At least I know I won't have to continue to pay a yearly subscription to access it when the people who run the company refuse to include a simple yet necessary option such as "ROTATE" on their website!!!

This is ***** - I suggested and begged for this feature over a year ago. You don't want to build a "rotate" into the Android platform version of Evernote? Fine. But at least implement it on your damn website so we can go in AFTER THE FACT and rotate our images.

Here we are 1 year later still without a very simple feature.

Sadly I have to agree with this-- why is there not a simple "rotate" feature on the Mac client, Windows client or web site? This simple functionality is different than image editing; rotate is even more fundamental than resizing. I shouldn't have to open the image in an external photo editor, and more importantly, it wouldn't be hard to add to a client. C'mon, it's been over a year we've been asking for this feature... what's the delay??

+1 for me

not being able to rotate images in the mobile app is a pain - i can sync it down to a desktop pc then save the image, rotate it, reimport it back to ever-note desktop, sync it back to the cloud and then sync it down to my android device - that just seems a bit like overkill when all i want is the image to be rotated on my mobile device...

I just opted to extend premium for another year and thought I would give a full try. Seriously? cannot rotate images? I am sure they were taken with iPHone in correct orientation. This is a flaw, please fix this, just don't note it as an enhancement. Waste of $$$ to extend yesterday and try again with something so basic.

I have just upgraded to 1 year premium today and did not know/see before that this is an old bug in the Android Client.

Please fix it in the Android App so we don't have to rotate every picture after syncing into one or the other app.

Thank you.

I have just upgraded to 1 year premium today and did not know/see before that this is an old bug in the Android Client.

I don't think it's a bug. I know on the iPhone, it's intended behaviour just as it is on the desktop clients - use a third party app to rotate/resize/annotate/etc before adding the image to Evernote.

Started using Evernote after seeing the high ratings.

But I am absolutely amazed that something as simple as rotating an image is not available after being suggested more than a year ago.

First of all I am surprised this needs to be suggested - seems obvious - but secondly I am amazed that this takes so long to implement.

But hey we can not complain - its free - But it does make me wonder ...

Anyway lets not forget about this one ...

But I am absolutely amazed that something as simple as rotating an image is not available after being suggested more than a year ago.

Just because something is suggested doesn't mean they want to incorporate it.

Using third party apps allows Evernote to focus on what they do best without having to reinvent the wheel.

Just to let everyone know, this is something we do want to develop and it is on the list of features we are considering. We get a large number of feature requests, only our product development team can determine which we will add. I will be sure to pass on all the comments we have gotten regarding adding a rotation feature to them.

Agree with everyone above -- this is a basic, easy feature that should be standard. More complicated but even more useful would be better auto-orientation recognition (at least for photos of text); that would be awesome.

Quick work-around in the meantime for Max OS X for those who missed it earlier: right click image, open in preview, rotate with cmd-R or cmd-L, and save. It will update in Endnote automatically (although it will have to be reindexed). Messy, but it'll do until the feature arrives.

Thanks to the Endnote team! Love your product!

another +1

I did assume you could rotate an image.... available in any FREE viewer program!

I add a lot of documents or brochure pics and when the phone is pointed downwards it loses its orientation or retains its last know one so the images constantly need rotated.

Evernote sucks big hairy ones for not being able to do this.

On my PC or phone it is hard to change, too many steps. On my mac its not as bad as the image can be opened in preview which then saves it straight back into evernote, but come on evernote, I'm paying you for this sort of thing????

Archived