Optimize Database removed from Evernote Windows 5.6 ?

phaddon

Running  Evernote /debugmenu used to present a Debug menu with the option "Optimize Database".

As of version 5.6 of Evernote Windows "Optimize Database" is no longer present in the Debug menu.

What is the new method of optimizing the Evernote database?

• Level 5*

If that option isn't showing (haven't used it myself in a l-o-n-g time) the only way to refresh the database would be to rename the file and allow Evernote to rebuild it from the server and reindex it.  There are multiple caveats about local and unsynced files / number of notes of which you need to be aware...

Running  Evernote /debugmenu used to present a Debug menu with the option "Optimize Database".

As of version 5.6 of Evernote Windows "Optimize Database" is no longer present in the Debug menu.

While holding down the ctrl key, click on the 'Help' menu. Several items have moved there to make it easier for support. (It's easier telling someone to hold ctrl then it is getting them to add the debug_menu option to the shortcut!)

• Level 5*

While holding down the ctrl key, click on the 'Help' menu. Several items have moved there to make it easier for support. (It's easier telling someone to hold ctrl then it is getting them to add the debug_menu option to the shortcut!)

Thanks for the info,  and nothing personal,  but prepare for a shed load of users (including me) to ask: "and you were going to tell us this when?"  Some of those options are new and one or two seem to me to answer previous posts about tag issues..

Any chance of a full rundown on what issue each extra option is intended to address?

• Level 5*

If it is not in the latest public release, that could be a justification for not announcing it, but of course for those in the beta testing program it would have been very useful to know so that we could test it! I am intrigued by what "Fix current note" and "Fix all notes" will do. Clues, Evernote?

• Level 5*

I believe that those operations will correct a note's spelling and keep it from reproducing.

I think that the idea is to help customer support, because getting a user to optimize their database is a lot easier if you don't require them to restart. DebugMenu has always been a sort of open secret, and I expect that  the new way will spread in the same way that the old one did.

• Level 5*

Yeah,  but first they have to tell someone - and I know they just did,  but hey - major change!!  I assume its also in the change log for the new beta,  but again - major change!!  A little highlight would have been good...  :P

Well isn't this little tidbit of information a jewel to remember. ;)

• Level 5*

Yeah,  but first they have to tell someone - and I know they just did,  but hey - major change!!  I assume its also in the change log for the new beta,  but again - major change!!  A little highlight would have been good...  :P

Presumably they'd have the CS folks suggest that in certain cases, and hopefully, ultimately, obviate the need for it altogether, but now it's out here on the forums it's not a secret anyways. Not sure that I've ever used it myself; it's a Debug thing.

• Level 5*

There are a couple of unused tags/unlinked tags that may be useful, and it is a good idea to run the cleaning utilities on any database from time to time. Thus, it's good to have these things "in the open" so that we no longer have to remember the command before we start Evernote. I have cleaned up my database (with a back-up first!), and am now optimizing it - taking a while because I have more than 12,500 notes (it is "not responding") so I will leave it to run a while. Whether it will improve the operation of the database I don't know. Other thing is to probably Revo uninstall and do a fresh install - I'll try and remember to do that with the next upgrade.Then I should have a "squeaky clean" database and installation!

• Level 5

After a couple months of a variety of attempted solutions from Evernote support on speed issues, I gave the new optimization a try on my two premium Evernote accounts. (17,500 notes in one and 16,800 notes in the second one.)

The optimization took 4 hours for each account.

The performance actually got worse after running the optimization.

• It used to take 8 minutes to switch from one account to the other.
  • Now it takes 11 minutes to switch back and forth.
  • Level 5*

Thanks. I used a number of search terms trying to find out about this. the Search on this forum is so bad.

If you use the search control at the right-hand side of the top of the page, and search for "Optimize Database", it should be the first or second entry. At least that's how I found the link (I already knew there was a topic). This search actually works pretty well for me; advanced search, not so much.

Hi everyone,

These are tools designed to help our customer support team trouble shoot specific issues and improve the application. They have been moved for convenience and we do not recommend using them unless instructed by support. 

Thanks for noticing the change and all of the continued feedback! 

• Level 5*

Hi everyone,

These are tools designed to help our customer support team trouble shoot specific issues and improve the application. They have been moved for convenience and we do not recommend using them unless instructed by support. 

Thanks for noticing the change and all of the continued feedback! 

I have used the tools on occasions to improve my user experience. Sure, some of them do require explanation as to when you would use them, but optimize database is something that we all need to do from time to time. I would be OK with moving this to the open tools menu, although I know that some people would be upset by the time it takes to run.

Archived