EN Touch (Metro) - new post / old gripe

brettmansdorf

Before the world jumps on me...

I use 'touch' to view notes - PERIOD.  My contractors do the same...  

I understand the win8 desktop and the touch operate from different databases (locally).

I have several premium accounts (function of contractors - as "BIZ" wouldn't fit).

I would like to see touch updated to at least presentable standards (IPO in the future?).  In the cloud game its longevity that counts.  YOU (EN) use up a large portion of real estate on my screen with the GET MORE (beloved) column for which "GET EVERNOTE FOR WINDOWS DESKTOP" is first and foremost...

I HAVE IT ALREADY, AND ON THIS MACHINE.  I AM Premium - so I would appreciate if you would give me back my screen's real estate (at least release a minor update which allows us who pay you to remove that damned column).

Perhaps a pet peeve - but I'm also a onenote /onedrive user and to date, the split is 75/25 onenote to EN for my contractors - I sway about 1/3 to start using evernote - and often they need only "reference" documents I have loaded, so many like "touch" - those which try it - guaranteed - come back to me griping about that column..

For this biz, windows 8 touchscreen is necessary so all are interested in touch - in the end the majority end up on onenote/onedrive, as touch is often their first (and last) impression of EN.

The gallery can call it whatever they want - but this STUPID glitch (don't know what else to call it) cost premium subscribers - period.

Hope this at least is one more vote for having a developer spend a few hours to at minimum "clean up" this app.

Still love my EN, still have multiple subscriptions, still believe - just disappointed in touch's first impression - as I spent 20 minutes showing off evernote (desktop), and they download touch - only to see what seems to be IN YOUR FACE advertising...  Can't blame them for turning away (if I had started on touch - probably wouldn't be here).

B.good

• Level 5*

I don't use Touch,  so can't comment (or jump) one way or the other,  but it does seem like you're saying "I paid for your product - it doesn't work so well for me - please fix it so it does.."   Touch may be in desperate need of a touch-up (SWIDT?) but it was already in that state when you bought into it,  and best practice would be - if you need a roller skate,  don't buy stilts. 

I totally agree it needs fixing,  but if it was easy to do so,  it would be zooming along now which may mean that within the current limitations of the OS,  it isn't fixable,  or Evernote has decided not to prioritise what it sees as a minority market compared with the main Evernote app.

Given that Evernote aren't (usually) chatty about what's coming along the update channel and when,  you may want to look for some options or continue managing your contractors' expectations as to layout changes.

• 3 weeks later...

What the OP wants, and what all of us who use Windows 8.x devices want is a version of Evernote that actually  works within the Metro interface.  EN Touch as a "get this out the door quick or we'll get a nasty tweet from Gates," unfinished feel to it.  

• Level 5*

What the OP wants, and what all of us who use Windows 8.x devices want is a version of Evernote that actually  works within the Metro interface.  EN Touch as a "get this out the door quick or we'll get a nasty tweet from Gates," unfinished feel to it.  

Yah,  I'm clear on that,  and I'm sure Evernote are too.  What we're waiting for is the update to improve things...

Why EN Touch won't update on my win8.1?

Every time I get error:

"this app wasn't installed - view details",

and the details are...

"Something happened and this app could not be installed. Error code: 0x8024600E"

I've tried to close Store,  reboot, and whatever. No dice.

All other apps on this machine update ok.

dd.

• Level 5*

No expertise with this,  but a quick web search for the error code suggests this happens occasionally to apps besides Evernote;  have a look at some of the fixes out there (like this one maybe?) to see if you can resolve it..

Ok, managed to break thru this. Just removed the app, rebooted and reinstalled,

Now it syncs all my notes, dogg slowww like $%^#@!

It seems to sync only while it is in foreground.

When put in background, it just sleeps and stops syncing - contrary that you could expect!

I've read news and browsed for a hour while it synced, only to find that it did nothing all that time.

And the so clever "get the desktop version" thing... silly. yeah.

-- dd

• Level 5*

Not sure I understood the last comment - did you give up on the Touch version and try out the Desktop instead?  If you did and you're still having problems, that's not Evernote being difficult;  don't know how many users are happily using Evernote on Win 8,  but there must be quite a few.  I'm one of them - I have an 8.0 laptop running the beta version of Evernote reasonably well - and any difficulties I'm having might be down to the 18,000+ notes the laptop is trying to juggle.  If it's not working for you,  some more twiddling might improve things considerably.

> did you give up on the Touch version and try out the Desktop instead?

The Touch version  - though my win8.1 PC is a normal desktop sans touch screen.

On this machine I wanted to do everything as Microsoft intended ;)

I have EN also on WinXP (my main desktop),  iPad and Android tablets.

regards,

-- dd

• 1 month later...

Just to reiterate the original poster's request "YOU (EN) use up a large portion of real estate on my screen with the GET MORE (beloved) column for which "GET EVERNOTE FOR WINDOWS DESKTOP" is first and foremost...

I HAVE IT ALREADY, AND ON THIS MACHINE.  I AM Premium - so I would appreciate if you would give me back my screen's real estate (at least release a minor update which allows us who pay you to remove that damned column)."

I actually like using the Metro version of Evernote on my Dell XPS11 (I don't have to mess with the 2 pixel wide scroll bars on the desktop version). But I really don't like the big promotion for the Desktop version of the application. It's like my Ford Escape's info screen constantly displaying an advertisement for the F-150 truck all day....

Archived