Do I need to temporarily halt synching when I move to new computer?

Hi- 

I hope that this isn't a ridiculously stupid question, but I'm about to get a new computer and wanted to know if I needed to break the link with my current computer first.  

Maybe I don't understand exactly how the Evernote syncs, but I'm afraid that when my computer is wiped, the information in Evernote would be deleted unless I halted the syncing first.

If the answer is yes, I do need to unlink my current computer to Evernote, please tell me how to do this because I can't find this information.

Thanks!

Hi- 

I hope that this isn't a ridiculously stupid question, but I'm about to get a new computer and wanted to know if I needed to break the link with my current computer first.  

Maybe I don't understand exactly how the Evernote syncs, but I'm afraid that when my computer is wiped, the information in Evernote would be deleted unless I halted the syncing first.

If the answer is yes, I do need to unlink my current computer to Evernote, please tell me how to do this because I can't find this information.

Thanks!

All you need to do to is make sure all your notes are sync'd on the old computer to the Evernote servers.  You can confirm this by logging into the web client.  If you have any non-sync'd notes (including local/non-sync'd notebooks), you will need to do this differently.  In that case, please search the board on backup/restore (that's essentially what you're doing, only restoring on a different computer.)

Then uninstall EN (or format the drive(s)) on the old computer.  I would suggest you use Revo, if you're using Windows.  (It's always helpful to mention what client you're using when asking for help.)  I would suggest you do this only when you are certain Evernote looks good on the new computer.

DO NOT, repeat, do NOT delete notes from Evernote & then sync!!!

Then install EN on the new computer & sync (unless you're going the backup/restore route - then follow those instructions.)

Hi,

With regards to removing Evernote off your old computer. You don't need to do this if you are keeping it. You can have many computers with Evernote running.

What Burgers is explaining is what you should do if someone else is having your old computer. In which case you will need to uninstall it and make sure the drive is wiped clean of your Evernote data. As a confidence check you don't have to do this until after Evernote is installed and running on the new computer.

The process, as Burgers states is to make sure you sync the old computer, then check on the web that all the Notes are there. If you have any non synced Notebooks make sure you back up those. Then install on your new computer, sync and restore the non synced Notebook.

Regards

Chris

Archived