DavidKeith

Evernote Journal

Can anyone tell me the best way to use Evernote as a daily journal please? I would like to create a daily diary type entry without having to type in the date every time. Thanks for your help,

Can anyone tell me the best way to use Evernote as a daily journal please? I would like to create a daily diary type entry without having to type in the date every time. Thanks for your help,

It is very simple really: you create a new note for every day. Depending on your organisation of Evernote, the diary notes can be left where they are or assigned to a dedicated notebook.

You can create your own template that you use every day when you create that new note, or you can create the new note as a blank page. That depends on how you wish to write, and what you wish to write about.

I would like to create a daily diary type entry without having to type in the date every time.

If you don't want to type the date each time you can insert it with a simple keystroke.  On Windows machines it's this:

CTRL+; (same as Excel)

In new notes if you haven't typed a title and you put the date on the first line of the note, it'll become the note title by default.

I would like to create a daily diary type entry without having to type in the date every time.

If you don't want to type the date each time you can insert it with a simple keystroke.  On Windows machines it's this:

CTRL+; (same as Excel)

In new notes if you haven't typed a title and you put the date on the first line of the note, it'll become the note title by default.

Or you use a template which, each time you copy it, will put the current date as the "create date", providing you uncheck the right boxes in the copy dialogue box.

You didn't specify a platform, but if you are using windows, if you want the time stamp as the title of the note:

1. Create a new note,
  2. Go to the body
  3. Hit the time stamp per the shortcut above
  4. Hit a couple of enters and start typing your journal
  5. The title will become the time stamp

If you want to find these entries later, some choices:

1. Add the notes to a notebook of their own
  2. Type a key word before or after you enter time stamp shortcut, perhaps Journal
  3. Tag the the notes, again perhaps Journal.

I think Mac has equivalent functionality.  If you are on the web, I don't know of a time stamp shortcut.  FWIW.

• Like 1

Let's not forget that when you create a new note, it gets a Created Date, which is searchable (and sortable in most Evernote clients) metadata.