Does anybody know when the notebook limit of 250 will be lifted?

I was getting ready to pay for a premium membership but learned that the note book limit of 250 would not be increased. I am wondering when we could expect this limit to be lifted. I heard that there was an earlier limit of 100 note books - so perhaps (soon) the new limit may be higher. When?

My additional question is: does any Evernote user know of a similar service without such limit? What alternatives to Evernote exist (I'm ready to pay).

Thanks,

Martin

• Level 5*

Hi - there are several alternatives to Evernote,  which a web search should easily find for you if you throw in your operating system and which device(s) you'd expect these things to run on.  They all come with their own arbitrary limits of various sorts,  so its really up to you to do your own due diligence to find something suitable.  The 'closest' is possibly MS OneNote.

Since,  although I've been an Evernote user for years,  I've never exceeded about 40 notebooks I have no idea what the notebook limits of other services might be.  Evernote don't announce their planned expansions in advance so your guess is as good as any as to if or when the limit might go up.

PS Your perception of the notebook limit may be a little skewed - there's no limit to how many accounts you can have,  and basic operations are free;  so as I have a couple of free test accounts I currently have a potential limit of 750 notebooks...

And of course the limits for Evernote Business are higher again...

I was getting ready to pay for a premium membership but learned that the note book limit of 250 would not be increased. I am wondering when we could expect this limit to be lifted. I heard that there was an earlier limit of 100 note books - so perhaps (soon) the new limit may be higher. When?

My additional question is: does any Evernote user know of a similar service without such limit? What alternatives to Evernote exist (I'm ready to pay).

Thanks,

Martin

You do need to look at your organisation of Evernote seriously if you need more than 250 notebooks, because going beyond 40-50 completely blurs your perception as to what you have in Evernote.

• Level 5*

Simple answer: don't plan on it being lifted any time soon. If that impinges on your intended usage, then Evernote may not be the product for you. But many folks don't have a need for huge numbers of notebooks as their organizational scheme, and you might well be advised to check into the other organization tool facilities that Evernote provides today. It all rather depends on what you need to do...

Simple answer: don't plan on it being lifted any time soon. If that impinges on your intended usage, then Evernote may not be the product for you. But many folks don't have a need for huge numbers of notebooks as their organizational scheme, and you might well be advised to check into the other organization tool that Evernote provides today. It all rather depends on what you need to do...

Or, alternatively, try to think in a different way if you want to still use Evernote. Using a new app sometimes/often means thinking "out-of-box".

One thing I haven't seen in answer to the OP's question, is the mention of utilizing Tags, Evernote's Search ability and Stacks. To use any, or all of these features, or a combination of them to achieve the same goal as a potentially unlimited number of Notebooks.

Martin, like you and I believe, like most people when they try Evernote at first, I found it very confusing at think outside "Folders & Files" mindset, and the concept of having *only* 250 Notebooks at my disposal, horrorifying! It's taken me quite a while to wrap my head around the concept of a digital filing cabinet without my beloved folders, but I'm getting there.

Unlike some of the forum Pros, Grumpy Monkey & Gazumped, for example, I have no lofty goals of becoming totally paperless. (Sorry gents, but some of just aren't there yet!

• Level 5*

One thing I haven't seen in answer to the OP's question, is the mention of utilizing Tags, Evernote's Search ability and Stacks. To use any, or all of these features, or a combination of them to achieve the same goal as a potentially unlimited number of Notebooks.

I alluded to the other organizational facilities that Evernote offers without being specific, because the original poster would really need to be more specific about their intended before I would feel comfortable with making any recommendations as to strategies and / or workarounds...

Okay. Hope you don't mind that I did?

I alluded to the other organizational facilities that Evernote offers without being specific, because the original poster would really need to be more specific about their intended before I would feel comfortable with making any recommendations as to strategies and / or workarounds...

Looks a good list to me, well documented.

Regards

Chris

Jefito I think you answered well. The original poster, Martin, did not ask for strategies, he just asked about the notebook limit.Gazumped already gave him a workaround so the post about tags, stacks, searches etc. is purely superfluous because it presumes Martin's ignorance about how to use Evernote, which I think is a bit presumptuous.

Sigh. I was trying to be helpful. My apologies if my post seemed presumptuous and/or offended anyone.

Chris, thanks.

EDIT: To be clear, I was *not* in any way trying to imply ignorance on Martin's (the OP's) part. I answered it with the same view that I do for *any* post I reply to... I do so assuming that unless otherwise stated, that the OP has zero to limited knowledge of Evernote, or how it works and what it offers.

In Martin's case, it's clear that he has some knowledge about Evernote, but not how much. (At least not to me.)

My hope with *any* reply offering suggestions and/or workarounds, is that it helps not only the original OP, but anyone else that may come across the same thread at some point in the future.

Please moderators, *do* correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that kind of the point of this forum? To share knowledge wherever possible to better assist other users?

Landing in threads that may or may not hold the answers I'm looking for at any particular time, has and continues to be, a huge learning resource for me personally. All I'm trying to do is return the favour.

• Level 5*

Wordsgood -- no, your list is fine. I just prefer to try to get a sense of what the user is looking for before I trot out the laundry list of things you can do with Evernote -- but that's just me. It's all good, though.

• 1 year later...

Sounds like a good idea to have several accounts.  I am curious what sort of issues that creates.  Can the accounts be linked?  Does having multiple accounts create storage memory issues?   Thanks for the post. 

Posted · Hidden by DutchPete, August 25, 2015 - duplicate with post above from same poster
Hidden by DutchPete, August 25, 2015 - duplicate with post above from same poster

Sounds like a good idea to have several accounts.  I am curious what sort of issues that creates.  Can the accounts be linked?  Does having multiple accounts create storage memory issues?   Thanks for the post. 

• Level 5*

The issues rather depend on your use case and devices.  The only annoying issue I can think of is a mobile one - switching accounts is not easy.  Better to use a 'main' account and share other account notebooks with it so they can all be managed from one login.  But see the various small issues about tags / syncing / editing with shared notebooks.  It's the sort of thing you'd want to try out slowly,  start small,  and don't (initially) risk any mission critical data in the additional account(s).  Frequent backups would probably be a good idea too...

• 2 months later...

I'm also very keen to see the 250 notebook limit increased. I realise there's the ability to tag and search, but for my work I really do like to retain the "Folders & Files" type structure. I'm a stock analyst and so I like to keep a separate folder for each one I look at, so when I'm in a meeting with that company I can easily browse through prior notes on them whilst typing up my current note. I also use Evernote for my personal life and so the number of folders has built up over time.

Just wanted to add to the other voices that have requested this and note I'm happy to pay a higher price for it.

Thanks

Marc

• Level 5*

Hi - there are several alternatives to Evernote,  which a web search should easily find for you if you throw in your operating system and which device(s) you'd expect these things to run on.  They all come with their own arbitrary limits of various sorts,  so its really up to you to do your own due diligence to find something suitable.  The 'closest' is possibly MS OneNote.

Since,  although I've been an Evernote user for years,  I've never exceeded about 40 notebooks I have no idea what the notebook limits of other services might be.  Evernote don't announce their planned expansions in advance so your guess is as good as any as to if or when the limit might go up.

PS Your perception of the notebook limit may be a little skewed - there's no limit to how many accounts you can have,  and basic operations are free;  so as I have a couple of free test accounts I currently have a potential limit of 750 notebooks...

And of course the limits for Evernote Business are higher again...

Discussed and requested many times - no reaction from Evernote yet...

>>I'm a stock analyst and so I like to keep a separate folder for each one I look at ....

I'm not clear why tags won't do the job.

It just takes one click to create a note in a notebook that's already open. It takes a click *plus* the attribution of a keyword which usually invoves typing, if you want to rely on tags. Tags are useful to find stuff, but more cumbersome when submitting information.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

>>I'm a stock analyst and so I like to keep a separate folder for each one I look at ....

I'm not clear why tags won't do the job.

It just takes one click to create a note in a notebook that's already open. It takes a click *plus* the attribution of a keyword which usually invoves typing, if you want to rely on tags. Tags are useful to find stuff, but more cumbersome when submitting information.

FWIW I don't use notebooks or tags - mostly - my new notes go in with a standard title. 

There's lots on filing systems,  naming and tagging in the forums here if you need it - I'm an advocate of the "lazy" school of documentation;  all I do is use a fairly long title of "yyyymmdd - type - source - comments" where

• date          = the date of the document (which may not be the same as the date of scanning/ note creation)
  • type          = what is this - letter / statement / bill / receipt / user guide
  • source      = the name of the author/ sender/ subject
  • comments = anything which might be relevant: 'bought a lamp' / 'new bank T&C's' etc

Then if necessary I can do an intitle: search for "intitle:201511 intitle:bill" to get all my November bills together.  Forinstance.

I further enhanced the "lazy" part of this by saving the titles of my most common topics in a note (all my suppliers and customers forinstance),  and having the date set up as a PhraseExpress key combination,  so a quick double-paste will complete the full title.

• Level 5*

Disappointed as well.  I chose to organize using notebooks and just hit the limit.  Now either I have to re-think my whole structure or ditch Evernote.  Each painful.

I understand your disappointment and frustration.  I too would prefer a robust NB structure, but Evernote has continued to decline providing this over many years.

But it may not be as bad as you might think.  Just create a tag for each subject-specific NB that you have now.

You might also use a tag prefix like "NB." to indicate, and help select, tags that represent Notebooks.

So you might have:

• NOTEBOOK_TAGS    <=== this is an actual tag, that is the parent tag of all below
    • NB.Physics
    • NB.English
    • NB.History
    • NB.Home
    • etc

Maybe not perfect, maybe not exactly the way you'd like it, but it will work, and it's not that hard to convert from real NBs to tags.

You can then easily filter your Note list for one of these pseudo notebooks by using the Jump to Tag shortcut, or by just clicking on the tag name in the left sidebar, just like you would for a real notebook.

Good luck.

Archived