Evernote for Mac 5.6 Beta 5

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5
Hey all!

Evernote for Mac 5.6 Beta 5 is out. 5.5 users with "update to beta" checked in their preferences should start seeing this build as available for download. Here's the link for your reference: http://goo.gl/jJfxSX

Please post questions and comments here. We're all looking forward to your feedback!

• Added the ability to search your notes with Spotlight.
  • Fixed:
    • Stability issues related to Yosemite
    • Problems upgrading from earlier versions of Evernote
    • Issues with errant note conflicts
    • Several conditions which caused sync to loop
    • Various bug and stability issues

42 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Selecting multiple notes - the common functions such as adding to the same notebooks, add common tags - are not active, change to presentation mode or creating a table of contents  

Thanks for the feedback Annapolis. Could you describe this issue or give us another screencast? That was great!

An issue that was in Beta 4 remains in Beta 5.  When I have a document open from a note (i.e. Word, Excel) and I'm editing the document and saving changes back to the note without closing the document, with each save Evernote creates blank lines in the note.  If I have the document open a long period of time with multiple saves to the document the blank lines in the note can grow to a large number.  This requires me to delete the blank lines in the note since the other note content gets pushed to the bottom of the note.  I have not experienced this issue in prior EN releases. Thanks.

First impressions:

1) No problems updating;

2) I love the Spotlight search integration;

3) I miss the ability to expand and collapse Shortcuts, Notebooks and Tags in the left menu (please bring it back!);

4) I miss the “sync bar” that used to show sync progress on the left down corner;

5) I didn’t like the new dialog for moving a specific note to another notebook, when clicking on the note’s current notebook - it’s slower to load and unnecessarily bigger and dislocated to the center - it used to quickly open a small list menu of available notebooks just below the current one, which was more intuitive and effective IMO.

• Level 5

First impressions:
1) No problems updating;
2) I love the Spotlight search integration;
3) I miss the ability to expand and collapse Shortcuts, Notebooks and Tags in the left menu (please bring it back!);
4) I miss the “sync bar” that used to show sync progress on the left down corner;
5) I didn’t like the new dialog for moving a specific note to another notebook, when clicking on the note’s current notebook - it’s slower to load and unnecessarily bigger and dislocated to the center - it used to quickly open a small list menu of available notebooks just below the current one, which was more intuitive and effective IMO.

I agree with all the points listed by mariBR although after the immediate sync has been introduced the sync bar is not as important as before.

I have a problem with PDF attachments. Especially in larger notes with more than one PDF file I tend to display them as attachment so they only use a small space in the note. However, this setting is forgotten whenever I do a small change in the note and I have to set it all over again. This is annoying.

However, in general I am very happy with the new version.

Try right click - Expand

Thanks.

It's actually "Hide/Show Notebook List", not "Expand/Collapse".

Well, at least it's still there - but I'd rather have this feature the way it was before: a single click, instead of "right click">>"click again"...

• Level 5*

Try right click - Expand

Thanks.

Well, at least it's still there - but I'd rather have this feature the way it was before: a single click, instead of "right click">>"click again"...

Yeah, strangely Notes is Expand and Notebooks is as you say (I say strange but it's just badly done).

Try right click - Expand

Thanks.

Yeah, strangely Notes is Expand and Notebooks is as you say (I say strange but it's just badly done).

You mean "Recent Notes"?

"Notes" itself doesn't have a list to be expanded or collapsed in the menu, it just takes me to the notes.

Anyway, I don't seem to have an "Expand" option in any of them..!!

Actually, right clicking "Shortcuts" and "Recent Notes" only shows the option "Remove from Sidebar";

"Notes" shows a grayed out "Remove from Sidebar", nothing else;

"Notebooks" shows 2 options: "Hide/Show Notebook List" and "Remove from Sidebar";

"Tags" shows "Hide/Show Tag List" and "Remove from Sidebar".

We don't seem to be running the same version of EN..!!

Mine says Evernote Version 5.6.0 Beta 5 (450630 Direct) - what's yours?

Jackolicious - much thanks for the link for the update - after 2 days of failing to load through the app, the link did it.  A couple of issues (I do not know if it relates to the problems related to loading or note):

Recurring, but not consistent bugs

Selecting a color from "crayon palete" colors stick, need to select "black" and then the color I want. 

Consistent Bugs

In ability to adjust tables (new table formate comes up, but canndo not have the new ability to resize) as shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oupmGYHxmYE

Photos used to automatically scale to fit the note, now the photos are all different sizes - the "handle on the right side of the Image" does not appear

Selecting multiple notes - the common functions such as adding to the same notebooks, add common tags - are not active, change to presentation mode or creating a table of contents  

All new capabilities come with their share of initial glitches, thanks for all you are doing to make Evernote an even better tool! 

• Level 5*

Try right click - Expand

Thanks.

You mean "Recent Notes"?

"Notes" itself doesn't have a list to be expanded or collapsed in the menu, it just takes me to the notes.

Actually, right clicking "Shortcuts" and "Recent Notes" only shows the option "Remove from Sidebar";

"Notebooks" shows 2 options: "Hide/Show Notebook List" and "Remove from Sidebar";

Try right click - Expand

Thanks.

You mean "Recent Notes"?

I've got Business so my notes expands to show Personal and Business

Also suffering from unexpected synchronisation errors as of this morning. Started with Beta 2, updated to Beta 4 and then again to Beta 5 with no improvement, 

Coincidentally, I also had trouble with the automated updater and needed to download the binaries. 

Update: looking through the activity log, the sync error seems to be related to a publicly shared notebook. I'm fairly certain this is my only publicly shared notebook on my personal Evernote account. Have tried 'unsharing' but problem persists.

Update 2: more an observation really. Skitch is still syncing. Presumably uses a different engine?

Update 3: tried removing (renaming) the specific note that seemed to be the cause of the problems. No dice. Also tried resetting the SyncState file. Threw up a bunch of new errors with other notes/notebooks for some reason, and also didn't work.

Bug report:

1. Created a new note
  2. Pasted copied text 
  3. Select on a another note 
  4. The copied text is no longer in my new note

Workaround:

1. Paste copied text
  2. Hit return at the bottom of text
  3. Note now keeps copied text

osx: 10.9.4

en: 5.6.0b5

Has anyone noticed that the vertical spacing of lines has gotten bigger with beta 5?  I can't seem to find a way to control the default spacing of lines.  There are less notes on the screen at once as the density of text is reduced.  Thoughts?  I seem to prefer more data on the screen at once but let's see how this new look feels after a few days.

Hi Evernote team,

Could also not upgrade from beta 4 to 5 (have this problem on all my macs) Did download via direct link provided in 1st post to install beta 5 but still cannot update to beta 8. What is causing this and how can i resolve that?

thx in advance for your time and effort

Onno

• Level 5*

Hi Evernote team,

Could also not upgrade from beta 4 to 5 (have this problem on all my macs) Did download via direct link provided in 1st post to install beta 5 but still cannot update to beta 8. What is causing this and how can i resolve that?

Onno

I'd suggest that you post your question/issue in the EN Mac 5.6 Beta 8 thread since that's the current Beta.

Hi Evernote team,

Onno

I'd suggest that you post your question/issue in the EN Mac 5.6 Beta 8 thread since that's the current Beta.

Thanks for the heads up. The solution was in that thread!!! 

Also suffering from unexpected synchronisation errors as of this morning. Started with Beta 2, updated to Beta 4 and then again to Beta 5 with no improvement, 

Coincidentally, I also had trouble with the automated updater and needed to download the binaries. 

Update: looking through the activity log, the sync error seems to be related to a publicly shared notebook. I'm fairly certain this is my only publicly shared notebook on my personal Evernote account. Have tried 'unsharing' but problem persists.

Update 2: more an observation really. Skitch is still syncing. Presumably uses a different engine?

Update 3: tried removing (renaming) the specific note that seemed to be the cause of the problems. No dice. Also tried resetting the SyncState file. Threw up a bunch of new errors with other notes/notebooks for some reason, and also didn't work.

Steven, I have also been getting this "notebook is a required value" error. At first I thought it was just annoying, but now I realize that new notes are uploading to the server (I can see them on my Evernote web version) but not downloading to sync with my other machines.

Any progress with this?

Minor issue: Still encountering the error when upgrading through the app. Had to go through the provided link again.

However:

1. Spotlight search is very nice.

2. Syncing appears snappier.

3. One issue I've noticed through all the 5.6 betas:

When pasting a web page selection with the Cmd-Ctrl V shortcut, the note created no longer carries through the article's title automatically – we just get a note called 'Untitled'.

This used not to be the case - the title would appear automatically. When using the web-clipper, the title does carry through.

I do hope you will restore this lost titling ability to Paste to Evernote. Very useful and sorely missed. I often prefer simply pasting to EN and editing a note before having to sync.

I'm thankful they are coming out with beta versions quicker. However, I'm very surprised that after beta 5 it still will not search text in a pdf. I've tried it each time a new beta has come to no avail. I will compare the 5.5 with the 5.6 and the 5.5 always finds the pdfs I'm searching but not the 5.6. So weird!

I have the option to update to betas, worked all the time in the past but this morning (9am GMT, 9th August) just tried to update automatically, it downloads all the file but then I get an error 

"An error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again later."

I had to download from link provided in this thread and that worked.

Mac os Yosemite.

Still having one problem that's a big bummer for me:  When scanning, using a ScanSnap, the new note goes into my default notebook, silently.  Prior to 5.6, the new note would come up in it's own window, where I could add tags, move it to the right folder, rename, etc.  

I really liked the old behavior.  Can we have it back, or at least have an option?

Thank you!

Dear Staff,

1. I cannot find the process bar on the left-down corner to show how much I have downloaded about my notes.

2. There might be some notes cannot be downloaded correctly without any notification. Only when I was trying to find them I found out that they are disappeared.

3. When I modified one note, the order of other notes in search result (related order) might be changed. It is really weird.

Hope to fix them.

Thanks.

Qihang

I also cannot search text in PDF files, which is one of my main reasons for using Evernote.

If I search on www.evernote.com for the notes, they are all found immediately but not on this desktop version. Is this something I have to rebuild or is this what everybody with the 5.6 beta's are experiencing?

To go for every search to the website is not ideal...

I have the option to update to betas, worked all the time in the past but this morning (9am GMT, 9th August) just tried to update automatically, it downloads all the file but then I get an error 

"An error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again later."

I had to download from link provided in this thread and that worked.

Mac os Yosemite.

Sounds like you got a corrupted build. Glad you're up and running again.

So I saw when I updated that it was migrating my notes to the new version. I've just been having trouble with this beta (the notes are just populating too slow for my workflow). Should I be able to replace the beta install with the "public release" version install and be back to normal or can I not go backward at this point?

Sync ends with: Unexpected error with syncing ... 1 error occurred .... "notebook is a required value".

Spotlight shows me nothing, when I enter word copied from evernote note. It used to show note's in previous version.

Archived