Will there be customisable keyboard shortcuts some day?

ofi

Hi and greetings to all,

if there was a wish list I'd like to add the plea for creating and modifying personal keyboard shortcuts for a lot more functionality than those currently few for general operations. I like my keyboard and I have to use this artificial finger limb (aka "mouse") quite more often in Evernote than I like to, e. g. to copy a note link which I use all the time.

Or is there a solution already I simply don't know about?

Thanks for any clues and hints and have a great time!

I'm glad you asked and really appreciate your promptness in doing so, so here we go.

Disclaimer: Since I use the german version of the EN client, the spelling of the functionalities named below might literally differ, but I will try my best to make clear what is meant.

1. Missing shortcuts acc. to my only personal feelings:
    1. Copy Link to Note
    2. Add Note to Favorites
    3. Format > Table
      1. Insert Line Above (and Below)
      2. Delete Line
      3. Open New Note in New Window
    4. Navigation: Typically I use the GUI's "card layout" with sidebar enabled, thus having sidebar, notes list, note view from left to right in the window. I would like to navigate from one pane to another using keys and navigate vertically between items which is the case with the notes list and up and down keys, but there is no way to jump to and within the related notes section below the notes edit window. Yes, and at least sometimes I would like to change the layout with just a key press.
  2. Reasons for customisable shortcuts
    1. International keyboards have some of the glyphs, which are present on standard US keyboards straight away, "hidden" behind some meta key combination. So e. g. "In-/Decrease Indent" of text becomes Shift-Alt-Command-6 (increase) resp. -5 (decrease) on my german Mac keyboard, which keeps the knuckles trained but is not very comfortable for such an IMHO basic text operation.
    2. Personal preferences of some lazy-minded people like me lead to some synchronicity of binding the same shortcuts to comparable functions across programs. Hence I would like to change some key-bindings to my personal preferences. Some function points might be more important to some people than others, e. g. a key for starting and stopping speech output may be more important for visually impaired users than me. Whereas I'm missing shortcuts with command-digit to jump to open windows while there is already cmd-0 (zero) to open the sync status window. I think you get my point.

BTW: The reason for writing such wordy posts stems from the fact that EN has become an unmissable part of my daily digital life due to its sheer usefulness in all ways, but if my 2 cents help to make the best even better (at least according to my personal point of view) then I take the chance to speak up. And this is because you at Evernote do such a great job and give me the feeling of being heard. Thank you.

Your post is tagged OSX, you can make your own shortcuts for any menu item, I don't think you can however make shortcuts for navigation

System Preferences

Keyboard

Shortcuts

App Shortcuts

Click "+" button

select evernote and the Shortcut key you want and the exact menu text of the menu option you want the shortcut to preform.

Also you can change any of the ones that are already set by following the same steps

• Level 5*

OK - Evernote developers do read these forums,  so they can think about the possible need for more keyboard shortcuts - though there seem to be a lot of options already,  and I'm not sure how many keys there are left to assign to other things...

@JimKn: Hey, thanks, this is cool. I must have read about it years ago in Pogue's "Missing Manual" but have totally forgotten about being able to add applications of my choice and then binding keys to literal menu entries. For demonstration purposes (to be hopefully helpful to others) I add a screenshot from the german system settings' dialog where I exemplarily have bound "Increase/Decrease Indent" to the cmd-Umlauts which lay side by side in a german keyboard layout:

Screenshot-EN-SystemSettings-Indent_ger.

which even yields updated labels in the program menu, and the new bindings replace or overrule the built-ins (as I have tested), so redefinition is done:

Screenshot-EN-MenuFormatText-Indext_ger.

Therefor the remaining open issues from yesterday's list are:

• "Add Note to Favorites" and "Delete Note" are only available in the context menu, so there's no way of binding a key to them in the before mentioned manner (although backspace in the list view to delete an item fits perfectly for me). With a top menu entry on its own it would be done.
  • The bound key in the settings dialog selecting "keyboard" (left pane), "focus to sidebar of window" (right pane), which is cmd-< does not work in EN.

But with JimKn's most valuable hint I am by far closer to my intent than I was yesterday, and I will wait patiently until navigation by keys is complete (even for a nag like me ;-).

Furthermore I have to apologise for not knowing the shortcut to copy a note's link, it's ctrl-alt-cmd-C as I found out meanwhile.

Thank you all. 

• 2 years later...

Another reason for customizable shortcuts is that Evernote ignores some shortcut changes on Mac OS. I changed some shortcuts on Mac to be the same I use on Windows (as I'm using both I prefer Win keys). For example: CTRL+C works and CTRL+X as well, but not CTRL+V, it goes to the end of the note.

• Level 5*

I imagine some shortcuts are reserved by the OS,  so it may no be totally possible,  but I'd imagine Evernote will eventually make it as easy as possible to customize both platforms with personal preferences.  By that stage you might just be thinking the command though,  rather than hitting keys...  ;)

• Level 5*

Even more basic than keyboard shortcuts is simple keystroke access. If you have keystroke access, you can use scripting apps to make your own shortcuts. But some EN functions do not have keystroke access, so making shortcuts for those functions relies on less robust methods such as image search or pixel coordinates.

An example of functions without keystroke access are the reminder functions.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, tavor said:

Even more basic than keyboard shortcuts is simple keystroke access. If you have keystroke access, you can use scripting apps to make your own shortcuts. But some EN functions do not have keystroke access, so making shortcuts for those functions relies on less robust methods such as image search or pixel coordinates.

An example of functions without keystroke access are the reminder functions.

Yeah, MousePos has become my friend for pixel based short cuts.  God help me if I change monitor size.

Archived