After Scansnap scan -> "Failed to start up evernote for windows"

mlu

I simply cannot crack this nut: On a W8 machine Scansnap has been installed and profile configured to "Scan to Evernote (pdf)", Evernote has been installed and is running, but after the scan has completed and the OCR has succeeded, I get this error message "Failed to start up evernote for windows"

Seems as if Scansnap cannot find the Evernote application, but why? Seemingly nothing I can configure from within the scansnap config manager.

Have restarted and have also tried to re-install scansnap manager all to no avail.

• Level 5*

I simply cannot crack this nut: On a W8 machine Scansnap has been installed and profile configured to "Scan to Evernote (pdf)", Evernote has been installed and is running, but after the scan has completed and the OCR has succeeded, I get this error message "Failed to start up evernote for windows"

Seems as if Scansnap cannot find the Evernote application, but why? Seemingly nothing I can configure from within the scansnap config manager.

Have restarted and have also tried to re-install scansnap manager all to no avail.

I have a Scansnap, but don't use the scan to Evernote settings (I think because I had some sort of issues when I started using it some years back).  So, not sure about your particular question, but my fix was to create a custom setting where the Application is None (Scan to File) and the rest of the settings are pretty much the same as the Scan to EN one.  I save the output to my EN import folder.

• Level 5*

Are you using ScanSnap Manager?  Is this the Evernote Version SS?  The quick fix would be to scan to folder A and then set up an Import Folder B (Evernote > Tools > Import Folder) into which you then move all those scan files.  Evernote will batch import the files and (if you set that option) then delete the HD copies which are no longer required.

If you want to fix the issue,  I suggest making sure your Fujitsu software is all up to date and Revo removing and reinstalling both the scanner and Evernote applications.  Reinstall Evernote first,  and the scanner second.  If that doesn't fix it - support ticket (see below).

• Level 5*

Are you using ScanSnap Manager?  Is this the Evernote Version SS?  The quick fix would be to scan to folder A and then set up an Import Folder B (Evernote > Tools > Import Folder) into which you then move all those scan files.  Evernote will batch import the files and (if you set that option) then delete the HD copies which are no longer required.

If you want to fix the issue,  I suggest making sure your Fujitsu software is all up to date and Revo removing and reinstalling both the scanner and Evernote applications.  Reinstall Evernote first,  and the scanner second.  If that doesn't fix it - support ticket (see below).

Thanks gazumped, you just reminded me why I decided not to use the EN profile in ScanSnap Manager - the secondary file move.  

You can scan  directly to your import folder nothing else required. If you create a custom profile in SS Manager using the default EN profile as a base, change the Application from EN to none, and set the destination folder. And the PDF is OCR'd assuming you check that box. 

• Level 5*

Horses for courses - I prefer scanning to a folder.  I don't OCR when scanning - its quicker that way,  and I get a better result using Adobe (rather than ABBYY) to OCR the files in batch at the end of the day.  (Or the beginning if I was lazy..)  Plus I get to edit some files - remove unnecessary pages / rotate (if necessary) / apply a 'smart' title etc.  Then I drop 30-40 files into my Import folder and go do something else for a while.  Works for me...

• 7 months later...

Now again this issue as was the start of this thread, just a new machine: Brand new install of W8.1, new install of Evernote, new install of Scansnap S1300i (scansnap driver + OCR software), and installed in that order. ERROR: "Failed to startup Evernote for windows" when the OCR has finished. And NO Gazumped it simply cannot be right that this is not working - I do not want a workaround!!! 

Have just tried an un-install and re-install of Evernote to see it that would help. No change. This is simply too bad Evernote / Fujitsu that your products are not working together! Evernote claims it is a Fujitsu issue and Fujitsu that it is an Evernote issue.

• Level 5*

@mlu, one thing I noticed was that I got an error when the Image Saving folder for the Scan to EN profile in ScanSnap was the same as my EN import folder.  When I changed that it worked fine.  Though I don't think it was the same message you are getting, can't remember exactly.

Even though Scan to EN was working, I still set up my own profiles most of which point to an EN import folder so that I could have more control.  I don't use the Scan to EN profile.  FWIW. 

• Level 5*

Fujitsu do seem to know something about this type of error - they recommend updating drivers in the link below..

The error “Failed to start up Evernote for Windows.” occurs when scanning under the situation that “Scan to Evernote (Note)” or “Scan to Evernote (Document)” is selected at “Application” under the “Application” tab.

See http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/computing/peripheral/scanners/ssfaq/s1300_cloud2.html

@Gazumped: It is standard procedure for me to always update the Scansnap immediately after installation from the media included with the hardware, so this was already done.

@csihiling: Tried to change the "Image saving folder" under the "Save" tab in the Scansnap configuration menu to a folder directly under C:\. as I suspected that the problem might be due to an error with Scansnap/Evernote to correctly understand a userfolder where the default US-name "\user" in my case due to a DK-version of Windows is called "brugere". But no, that didn't help either.

Seems I have to try support again.

Archived