SUCCESS: UNABLE TO REINSTALL | ERROR: "Already Installed by Another User"

ab1kenobee

Hello experienced EN Members:

I am experiencing incompetent TECH SUPPORT from Evernote.

Due to WIN desktop becoming unable to SYNCH with EN online... I cleaned the WIN registry and WIN files in preparation of a clean EN install after chatting with Alvin (chat tech support). EN will now not RE-INSTALL (see attach).

I've lost an entire business day wrestling with chat support on this issue... with no resolution.

I've requested ESCALATION to a top-tier tech... with NO response or URGENCY.

I have been a Software Evaluator and Beta-Tester from Microsoft to shareware houses for 10+ years. EN's monumental lack of quality tech support to premium users has turned into an exasperating experience with EN.

I have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled 100's of applications... but have never run into an tech issue like this compounded by inadequate tech support to promptly resolve the issue.

Can anyone recommend a resolution to this issue to getting EN reinstalled?

Thank you much in advance for a prompt response!

Alan

post-145246-0-96968200-1406848405_thumb.

Hello experienced EN Members:

I am experiencing incompetent TECH SUPPORT from Evernote.

Due to WIN desktop becoming unable to SYNCH with EN online... I cleaned the WIN registry and WIN files in preparation of a clean EN install after chatting with Alvin (chat tech support). EN will now not RE-INSTALL (see attach).

I've lost an entire business day wrestling with chat support on this issue... with no resolution.

I've requested ESCALATION to a top-tier tech... with NO response or URGENCY.

I have been a Software Evaluator and Beta-Tester from Microsoft to shareware houses for 10+ years. EN's complete lack of quality tech support to premium users has turned into an exasperating experience with EN.

I have installed, uninstalled and reinstalled 100's of applications... but have never run into an issue like this and the lack of competent tech support to promptly resolve the issue.

Can anyone recommend a resolution to this issue to getting EN reinstalled?

Thank you much in advance for a prompt response!

Alan

Well, a quick search on the board of your problem shows several threads where Revo uninstaller is suggested. Have you tried that?

Well, a quick search on the board of your problem shows several threads where Revo uninstaller is suggested. Have you tried that?

FROM ORIGINAL POST: 

• I cleaned the WIN registry and WIN files in preparation of a clean EN install...
  • EN will now not RE-INSTALL (see attached image of error).

It appears there is a HIDDEN file that the EN install file is seeing that requires removal... but I can't find it... and tech has not responded.

FROM ORIGINAL POST:

• I cleaned the WIN registry and WIN files in preparation of a clean EN install...
  • EN will now not RE-INSTALL (see attached image of error).
It appears there is a HIDDEN file that the EN install file is seeing that requires removal... but I can't find it... and tech has not responded.

Dude...please read post #2 (my original post).

You come to the board for help but seem to want to ignore it.

Carry on & good luck.

No, I did not use Revo Uninstaller, which I am well familiar with and have often used... however it leaves many orphan registry lines behind... so I use to other applications that are thorough:

1.  Registrar Registry Manager

2.  RegSeeker

Both can be found at www.snapfiles.com (an excellent software repository).

Again, I never encountered a RE-INSTALL issue like this one with EN.

Does anyone know what file EN is seeing per the ERROR NOTICE in the jpg attachment?

Thanks much in advance!

Alan

If you suspect this is a file issue and not a registry issue, why NOT run Revo just to cover your butt? Why NOT take the time while you wait for support to experiment and try everything you can to help yourself? Why not run every single registry cleaner AND uninstaller just for the sake of being thorough? Even if it doesn't work, at least then you KNOW it doesn't work, right? At least that way you can shut your fellow users up.

If you suspect this is a file issue and not a registry issue, why NOT run Revo just to cover your butt? Why NOT take the time while you wait for support to experiment and try everything you can to help yourself? Why not run every single registry cleaner AND uninstaller just for the sake of being thorough? Even if it doesn't work, at least then you KNOW it doesn't work, right? At least that way you can shut your fellow users up.

Howdy, Scott:

Thank you for getting back.

I just reinstalled REVO Uninstaller... it did not see EN at all:

• REVO is not able to find an application that has already been uninstalled... but only apps it finds with the executable (*.exe) file intact.

My guess is, there is still an EN line of code in the WIN registry that is found by the EN installation file... and then trips the ERROR message that I have uploaded (image attached again).

Thanks much in advance!

Alan

post-145246-0-89087000-1406907240_thumb.

REINSTALLATION ISSUE RESOLVED!

THANK YOU to the following threads:

Latest evernote can't be installed after old version not uninstalled properly
Started by Tap, Dec 08 2010 08:42 AM

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22282-%E2%9C%94-latest-evernote-cant-be-installed-after-old-version-not-uninstalled-properly/page-14

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22282-%E2%9C%94-latest-evernote-cant-be-installed-after-old-version-not-uninstalled-properly/page-15

Thank you in particular to #266 icon_share.png Hrn Sarac, #280 icon_share.png Pvanas and #296 icon_share.png Isacriz for helpfing me find a solution!

1.  This has been an OPEN tech issue for EN since 2010... and has not yet been resolved by EN for its Users. This is UNACCEPTABLE.

• Slick ain't slick when it's broke and don't work. To dramatically improve EN User confidence and usability, an OVERHAUL and SERIOUS COMMITTMENT to quality tech support is the NEXT STEP to sustained User satisfaction and longevity.

2.  REVO Uninstaller - is an excellent application, however it will not help resolve this issue.

3.  Find & Delete - Per the instructions provided in the above sited threads... a WIN registry search needs to be conducted to FIND and DELETE the following registry key: E190C2EA (6 Reg keys were found - SEE attachment: EN_E190C2EA_registry.jpg).

I also searched for 4C8BBCC8 and 8CCBB8C4, but these (2) keys were not found in my registry.

• REG EDIT has been mentioned, which is the native Windows registry search utility, however it is very sloooow.

• Registrar Registry Manager and RegSeeker are my go-to REG weapons (and they're Freeware) and can be found at www.snapfiles.com

4.  Find & DeleteEvernoteSetup.log (C:\Users\_windows_user_name\AppData\Local\Temp\EvernoteSetup.log). (SEE ATTACH: EN_SetupLog.png)

• Press the Windows start button, type: %TEMP% in the command box.
  • You might also find Evernote.msi in this folder as well - delete it. (I had already fully deleted EN, so I did not find this file in this TEMP folder.

5.  RE-Install:  The EN install file launched without a hitch.

EN Back-up:  I had previously BACKED-UP all my NOTES to my laptop HDD using the 1st EXPORT option - ENEX format (2.93GB).

Reinstall still synching up:  EN is still SYNCHING the WIN desktop application with the EN Cloud... so I know there will be issues in regards to cleaning out redundant notes and organizing... so I will get back with whatever information can be helpful to other Users who encounter this tech issue.

Low image quality:  P.S. I apologize for the low quality images, however EN limits upload size, so significant compression was required to be able to share these printscreens.

Positively,

Alan

post-145246-0-13389800-1406921360_thumb.

post-145246-0-72012400-1406917475_thumb.

• Level 5*

I find that Revo Uninstaller works great if you have the uninstaller file still in place. It also seems to work if you have the program in place. If you have deleted "everything" it is not going to know where to start looking.

• Level 5*

I'm glad this problem seems to have been resolved,  but due respect but it seems your preferred registry cleaners didn't see this entry,  which is what sparked off all the hassle.  Revo,  I believe, does remove 100% of unwanted keys - at least for Evernote - and it's been recommended by Evernote support for as long as I've been posting here. 

I appreciate it can't remove software if it has already been uninstalled,  but if it's used initially - which Support does advocate,  and all of the posts in the forums recommend,  then it should do the job.  That's just my opinion at this stage - I'm not in a position to do any testing to prove that key gets zapped when its necessary.

My esteemed colleagues will be able to add more to the list,  but my process in the event of sync failure would be

1. clear out the trash on all platforms,  check connections,  check for software updates,  try again
  2. copy the Activity Log to forward to Support
  3. Revo remove and reinstall the software  (there's no need to nuke the database as a first option)
  4. If that fails,  then export any unsynced/ local files to ENEX and rename the database
  5. resync from the server and import any ENEX files
  6. If after all that sync still fails - raise a support ticket and when you have a reference,  add the Activity log.
  7. Raise a query in the forums detailing all the above in case we can add anything to the mix.
  8. Remember Support works weekdays,  US Pacific Time and free users seem to have several days' wait at present before a real person can get back.  Expect to go through the same process all over again with Support just to make sure no steps were missed out...

Subject to any additions/ corrections,  that should either allow you to fix your own problems,  or put you in the best position to get fixed when Support come on line.

I'm glad this problem seems to have been resolved,  but due respect but it seems your preferred registry cleaners didn't see this entry,  which is what sparked off all the hassle.  Revo,  I believe, does remove 100% of unwanted keys - at least for Evernote - and it's been recommended by Evernote support for as long as I've been posting here. 

I appreciate it can't remove software if it has already been uninstalled,  but if it's used initially - which Support does advocate,  and all of the posts in the forums recommend,  then it should do the job.  That's just my opinion at this stage - I'm not in a position to do any testing to prove that key gets zapped when its necessary.

My esteemed colleagues will be able to add more to the list,  but my process in the event of sync failure would be

1. clear out the trash on all platforms,  check connections,  check for software updates,  try again
  2. copy the Activity Log to forward to Support
  3. Revo remove and reinstall the software  (there's no need to nuke the database as a first option)
  4. If that fails,  then export any unsynced/ local files to ENEX and rename the database
  5. resync from the server and import any ENEX files
  6. If after all that sync still fails - raise a support ticket and when you have a reference,  add the Activity log.
  7. Raise a query in the forums detailing all the above in case we can add anything to the mix.
  8. Remember Support works weekdays,  US Pacific Time and free users seem to have several days' wait at present before a real person can get back.  Expect to go through the same process all over again with Support just to make sure no steps were missed out...

Subject to any additions/ corrections,  that should either allow you to fix your own problems,  or put you in the best position to get fixed when Support come on line.

This is an EXCELLENT post. Thank you. I would appreciate if you would expand your procedures for: 

• 4. If that fails,  then export any unsynced/ local files to ENEX and rename the database

For this issue, I EXPORTED (backed-up) ALL notebooks using the ENEX format to a separate HDD partition... using "EN" vs. "Evernote" as a file name... so that this ENEX file would not be inadvertantly or accidently deleted by any uninstaller application.

BTW - I was clear in post #1 that I had CLEANED REGISTRY and WIN FILES (uninstalled)... so why this thread has become a debate about the efficacy of using REVO UNINSTALLER is off-point due to poor reading skills.

As both #11 icon_share.png FactMan and #12 icon_share.png gazumped have each clearly indicated... "Revo Uninstaller works great if you have the uninstaller file still in place."

FUTURE PROTOCOL:  Now that other tech experienced users have successfully implemented a COMPLETE UNINSTALL of Evernote utilizing Revo Uninstaller... providing for a simple REINSTALLATION without the heartburn that myself and others have experienced since 2010... I will: 1) BACKUP my NOTEBOOKS;  2) Precisely follow gazumped's instructions.  :)

*** In retrospect... aside from the many positive benefits of EN... we must all acknowledge that EV has known of this SYNCHING bug issue and REINSTALL issue since 2010... and has virtually left Users holding the bag with no fixes, no quality documentation, and wholly inadequate tech support on a known issue. For the record: I did copy the Activity Log and forwarded to Support... discussed it with Support... however this amounted to NO resolution... LAME followup... and LOSING an entire business day. I am not an amateur consumer User... but a business premium User with software evaluation and beta-tester background. From my own professional perspective, EN has diminished its credibility by significant measure both in terms of technical expertise and the genuine lack of esteem it holds for its subscribers.

Credit where credit deserved:  I would not have been able to resolve this issue without the technical expertise of EN forum participants who have shared their technical expertise. Thank you, again, in particular to #266 icon_share.png Hrn Sarac, #280 icon_share.png Pvanas and #296 icon_share.png Isacriz for helpfing me find a solution! Thank you!

• Level 5*

Just to expand on point 4 - Evernote > File > Export includes an option to 'export notes to ENEX format',  which is Evernote's native format.  Should it be necessary to refresh the database from the server at any point,  the download will obviously not include any notes that have not yet been uploaded,  either because sync has been failing,  or because they are part of a local notebook.

Unsynced notes and edits (but not local notes) are signified by a 'dot' in one column of the List view;  so the process is.

1. Go to All Notes / List View. 
  2. Sort by the 'Sync' column to get unsynced notes to the top of the listing and note whether these are all from one notebook or several.
  3. If from one notebook,  highlight those notes and File > Export to ENEX (check the export options and make sure the 'include tags' option is ticked)
  4. If from more than one notebook,  choose one notebook to display its notes and then follow (2) above*
  5. If you have any local notebooks you also need to export these to separate ENEX files
  6. Save all files somewhere safe
  7. Refresh Database
  8. File > Import the ENEX files (there are several self-explanatory options in the process - read them carefully!) - It's (fairly) fail-proof:  if you mess up you can always delete the imported notes and re-import from the file.
  9. BEWARE however that if you import a lot of notes (excluding local notes,  which aren't synced) you may hammer your upload allowance when sync is completed.  If in doubt,  consider importing to local notebooks initially and moving notes across to a synced notebook as your allowance permits.

* ENEX files don't save notebook information - if you export all notes, they'll re-import to one single notebook.  There is an option to the 'separate files' process - that's to group tag all the notes in each notebook with the notebook name so you can recreate the notebook structure after re-import.

Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried this but it hasn't resolve my sync problem, which crashes Evernote windows desktop. I've submitted support ticket and told it is a bug with Evernote, but then nothing. 

I feel for you. Don't know hot to help. See this thread: #1 .

Alan

• Level 5*

I've tried this but it hasn't resolve my sync problem, which crashes Evernote windows desktop. I've submitted support ticket and told it is a bug with Evernote, but then nothing. 

How is this related to the original problem? If you want help with an issue, it's best not to piggyback on someone else's topic that concerns a different issue; you should open your own topic, or post in one that is the same as yours.

• 4 months later...

I uninstalled the latest version 5.8.1.6061, because of this issue: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78568-alphabetically-sorting-notebooks/?locale=en an ran in to this issue when trying to install an older version.

I just wanted to thank Alan, his suggestion in post #9 worked for me. After deleting the suggested registry key, I could install again.

I uninstalled the latest version 5.8.1.6061, because of this issue: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/78568-alphabetically-sorting-notebooks/?locale=en an ran in to this issue when trying to install an older version.

I just wanted to thank Alan, his suggestion in post #9 worked for me. After deleting the suggested registry key, I could install again.

Howdy, Magnus:

Appreciate and happy the research documented in post #9  proved helpful...

I dutifully give ALL credit to those who provided the workable solutions:

https://discussion.e...roperly/page-14

https://discussion.e...roperly/page-15

Thank you in particular to #266 icon_share.png Hrn Sarac, #280 icon_share.png Pvanas and #296 icon_share.png Isacriz for helpfing me find a solution!

We're all here to edify one another!

~ Alan

• 2 weeks later...

After spending an hour trying all suggestions here (and all referenced threads) to no avail, I did a search for 'Evernote' to cleanup all the files I could find. Turns out there was an installer file in C:/Users/_user_/AppData/Local/Temp called Evernote. Opened it an 'Voila' install worked. 

C

Came up with the same problem. Followed the thread. Used Revo and tried several other things. No luck. The install files and most other files were gone. I noticed that some Evernote files were in my Wacom Bamboo directory. What was that about? I tried for a Hail Mary pass and decided to uninstall Bamboo. After I did that I tried to reinstall Evernote and it went right through the installation. I am still scratching my head.

• 1 month later...

ab1kenobee,

Thank you for taking the time to put all your findings here.  I have Revo and it couldn't find anything from the previous install of evernote, so I had no idea what to do to resolve this until I found your posts.

Thank goodness you stayed at it and posted your findings.   :)

Really, I find it rediculous that the Evernote team does not have something to take care of this automatically for their users or that their installer does not resolve this when it finds it.  I know many, many people that would have no idea about how to do anything in the registry without completely ***** up their computer.

Frankly, letting this issue sit and fester in their discussion forums, without providing any help, has made me look at other options for providing the services that evernote provides.  I just can't affford to have an issue come up that needs attention and have to rely on a company that - by failing to even acknowledge the issue or simply insinuating you don't know what you're doing cuz it works for everyone else - basically tells their customer to piss off...  Terrible!

Thanks again ab1kenobee, you have helped a lot of people with this!

• 5 months later...

Just spent an hour trying to fix this issue. Thank you for all the help provided on this thread - I've tried EVERYTHING mentioned and no joy.

I think I'll have to take SLOgoing's stance and leave using EN in favour of a service that works and is properly supported when it doesn't. Shame.

Just spent an hour trying to fix this issue. Thank you for all the help provided on this thread - I've tried EVERYTHING mentioned and no joy.

I think I'll have to take SLOgoing's stance and leave using EN in favour of a service that works and is properly supported when it doesn't. Shame.

David:  

Please provide details for forum members to review with you.

Thx.

~ Alan

Archived