Feature request: Let us attach text files (and, preferably, images too) as normal attachments

Greg Courville

This is a behavior that's been bugging me for a while. If I try to attach a file with a .txt extension, instead of actually attaching it, Evernote just takes the contents and dumps them into the note as if I had typed them.

I'd like it if the "Attach files" button just attached files, rather than having weird per-file-type behaviors. I can't think of a single situation where I've wanted to dump the contents of a text file directly into a note, but if I did, it seems like I could easily open the file, hit Ctrl-A, then copy and paste the contents.

On a related note, why is the "view as attachment" option greyed-out for images? Sometimes I want to attach an image file (again, the key word here being attach) but don't necessarily want it blown up to fill the full page width (which sometimes means the whole viewport) and completely break up the flow of the note. In this case, wouldn't it make more sense to follow the usual convention of having a separate "insert image" button next to the "attach files" button?

I've been having to work around these issues by giving files nonsense extensions like .txt.foo before attaching them. It's really clumsy and awkward and makes Evernote more of a pain to use than it should be. Maybe your UX experts will disagree with me on what the default behavior for the attachment button should be, but at the very least I'd like to have the ability to attach text and image files as attachments, even if it requires me to go uncheck a box in the preferences dialog or something.

This is a behavior that's been bugging me for a while. If I try to attach a file with a .txt extension, instead of actually attaching it, Evernote just takes the contents and dumps them into the note as if I had typed them.

I'd like it if the "Attach files" button just attached files, rather than having weird per-file-type behaviors. I can't think of a single situation where I've wanted to dump the contents of a text file directly into a note, but if I did, it seems like I could easily open the file, hit Ctrl-A, then copy and paste the contents.

On a related note, why is the "view as attachment" option greyed-out for images? Sometimes I want to attach an image file (again, the key word here being attach) but don't necessarily want it blown up to fill the full page width (which sometimes means the whole viewport) and completely break up the flow of the note. In this case, wouldn't it make more sense to follow the usual convention of having a separate "insert image" button next to the "attach files" button?

I've been having to work around these issues by giving files nonsense extensions like .txt.foo before attaching them. It's really clumsy and awkward and makes Evernote more of a pain to use than it should be. Maybe your UX experts will disagree with me on what the default behavior for the attachment button should be, but at the very least I'd like to have the ability to attach text and image files as attachments, even if it requires me to go uncheck a box in the preferences dialog or something.

The search function is your friend.

Starting with rev 123659 if you hold down Shift key while dropping a file on EN4 or executing Attach File command the resulting attachment will not be expanded inline, i.e. pdf's will look like all other attachments and .txt/.enex files will be attached instead of being imported. For backward compatibility reasons this does not work for embedded .jpg/.png files by default, so if you want this to work for images, set HKCUSoftwareEvernoteEvernoteStrictAttachments to 1.

/Peter

Guest mrossk

I also have used the workaround with renaming the extension before attaching the file. After attaching the .txt.foo to evernote you can rename the attachment back to .txt and it keeps an attachment.

I also have used the workaround with renaming the extension before attaching the file. After attaching the .txt.foo to evernote you can rename the attachment back to .txt and it keeps an attachment.

No workaround needed to make txt files attachments. Please see post #2, which is the one prior to yours. Honestly, NBD.

Archived