Evernote not syncing across all devices properly

I have Evernote installed on 3 devices: home pc (Windows 7), Laptop (Windows 7), and my android Galaxy S4. I'll keep this to the two computers. I just noticed that EN is not syncing correctly between the 2 computers. I've created some new tags that don't get synced, and also some notes have been tagged with tags that are on both computers but the tagging is not syncing either (one computer shows the note tagged, the other does not). Any thoughts on this?

• Level 5*

Evernote doesn't sync between computers - computer 1 syncs to/ from the server.  The server syncs to/ from computer 2.  Computer 2 now knows everything that was in Computer 1's notes,  but until Computer 1 syncs again,  it won't have any changes made on Computer 2.  The trick in your case is to work out which is the computer that isn't syncing.  If you check the web version of your note via Evernote.com,  are those notes up to date?  If not,  Computer 1 has a sync problem with the server.  If the notes are OK,  C1 is successfully syncing changes up,  but C2 isn't receiving them.

Gazumped is right. Check the Web version, it is definitive on what the server holds.

Also keep an eye out for any notes that are in a "Local" notebook. There is no visual indicator of a local notebook anymore, that useful feature was removed some time ago. Instead check the Properties on the Notebook.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I have the same problem. Win 7 PC at home, Win 7 PC at work and an iPad4.

The notes are all syncing OK but the Tags are not. On my Home PC all notes are tagged OK but on work PC, iPad4 and web version some Tags are missing.

What can be the problem??

• Level 5*

If you have notes whose tags are on your home Windows computer, but not on the web, then that's your point of failure, since the web is the intermediate point for syncing to your other devices. Does the sync complete? Are there any indications in the activity log? Are you using local (unsynced) notebooks?

I am not at home now, but all the notes sync all right. It is just the tags that doesn't

Are you certain?  IE, if you sync'd the notes (correctly) and then subsequently went in & changed/modified tags & did not sync correctly, it may appear the notes are fine but tags are not.  The rule of thumb, when switching between comptuers/devices is this...

1. sync with EN servers
  2. make any/all changes
  3. before leaving this computer/device (or turning it off/letting it hibernate), sync all changes UP to the Evernote servers
  4. move to next computer/device
  5. go to step 1.

It's very simple. The EN servers (IE web client) are the "source of all truths." Any changes made on one device need to be sync'd up to the EN servers before those changes are accessible from the web client or any other device/computer. If you make any changes with the web client, you are changing the EN servers directly, so no sync (up) is involved. Any changes made to the EN servers need to be sync'd down to any other computer/device before they are accessible from that device/computer.

If you create/modify a note on a desktop/laptop & then shut down w/o it getting sync'd to the EN servers, that note will not show up on the web client or be sync'd down to any other devices/computers UNTIL, you then start up the desktop/laptop & have EN running long enough to do an auto sync or you force a sync. The best way around this is to manually sync the laptop/desktop if you're going to be using another computer/device before the next auto sync or are shutting that computer down/hibernating/etc.

I don't know about all mobile clients, but AFAIK, the iPhone client only syncs when you first start the program or make a change/add a note. (It tells you it's sync'ing.) So if you make a change on a desktop but it's not sync'd to the EN servers yet, then start the iPhone client, the desktop changes will not sync down to the iPhone. If you remain in the iPhone client while the desktop sync's the changes up, you would need to manually sync the iPhone client to get the changes down to the iPhone.

• Level 5*

Did you create the tag with a note which was in a local notebook?  May not be the case, but I had an issue in the past where a tag created on a local note did not sync even when I moved it to a synced notebook.  FWIW.

Well, I did it the hard way :)

I deleted the database on my home PC. Started EN and let it sync with EN server. Then I re-created all the missing tag's and synced it to EN server again. And Voila! Now it synced the new tag's.

Must have been something fishy with my database huh?

i have been emailing support for like 3 months on an issue with the windows client. I cannot upload anything files or attachments I add in windows. They say there is a bug that has yet to be fixed. You could be in the same spot as me. If you add to a now (word doc or PDF you will get a sync error. 

I can download anything I do on my other devices but anything i add(files) will not upload to their servers. I have to do it via the web client. VERY FRUSTRATING. I have the latest version and have even tested a beta, still nothing. They have been very kind through all this, but I am quite handicapped in my workflow due to this.  

• Level 5*

I'm sure Support know their bugs,  but if every Windows user had problems uploading attachments,  this would be a very busy forum.  I've certainly uploaded files and attachments today without any issues.  As a matter of interest,  what operating system do you use?

Interesting variant.  created note on iPad, found it post sync on android phone, did NOT find it on windows PC...interestingly, it is in a notebook with a note total of 6, and the PC also has a note count of 6 - yet there is only 5 visible notes in the notebook on the Windows PC.  if I change the note content on my android, and sync, then sync the PC, the PC activity Log shows the update event by name of the Note (...Updating local note "Confused"...) , yet the note is not visible on PC.  this exists for several notes.

Creating the note on the PC makes visible for android, though. 

So something about creating notes in iPad or android syncs to server okay, but Windows 7 EN correctly updates note count and activity log, yet will not display the note. 

• Level 5*

I'm sure Support know their bugs,  but if every Windows user had problems uploading attachments,  this would be a very busy forum. 

I'm not sure they do.  Many user reported bugs are dismissed as "user error", especially if Support cannot easily reproduce the behavior.

Windows is a very complicated system where one piece of software can adversely affect another.  I suspect this is at least one of the reasons that there are so many sync issues being reported.

Also, many users don't bother reporting bugs or posting on forums.  They just quit using the software when it has unacceptable bugs.

That is where I am. I have had many issues on windows. and windows only. All my other devices are fine.I am on windows 7. I have two PC's and both are doing the same thing. I have had multiple emails from support only to conclude that there was a bug they were working on. I would go MAC but just can't afford their hardware 

• Level 5*

Weird.  I ran Win 7 before upgrading to 8.1 and Evernote didn't have a problem that I was aware of then..  Do you have access to any other hardware - laptops / desktops - that you could borrow to try out your Evernote account on?  If Support have this in hand I don't know that we can add anything more apart from lots of sympathy...

well I had the issue on a Windows 7 HP laptop which was my primary for a number of years. I recently moved to an Acer with better specs and was fully restored to factor settings and have the same problem as on my HP. Tech support made the verdict on the bug not me. Sympathy appreciated. Just can't bring myself to abandon evernote as there is nothing else quite like it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm...Windows 7 EN did not display note created on non-Win 7 device again, regardless of syncing events (although Win 7 Activity log did include the new note event).  This time i logged off then logged on at Win 7 EN.  Note now displayed.  Curious little bug, but at least learning how to work with it.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if support views this, but it would be a huge asset if all devices synced without having to have one device as the main source. I may be at different places at different times with different devices and if I update a note it doesn't add to the others. I would think this would be a simple but very valuable fix. 

• Level 5*

I'm not sure if support views this, but it would be a huge asset if all devices synced without having to have one device as the main source. I may be at different places at different times with different devices and if I update a note it doesn't add to the others. I would think this would be a simple but very valuable fix. 

Actually, there is no one device which serves as the "main source" for your Evernote Notes.

ALL devices sync with the Evernote cloud, not with each other.

IOW, the Evernote Service/Cloud is the MAIN source for all devices.

EN-Sync-Diagram.gif

• 3 months later...

My iphone EN is up to date with the server, my MacBook likewise.  However, my Windows laptop is only partially syncing, ie some notes are syncing in 'both'directions, but 1 in particular is not syncing onto the Windows machine despite being up to date on the server.  Can I 'force' a sync?

• 7 months later...

I did just a little while ago discover a fix on my own by accident for this that wasnt mentioned in here. Every time I'd click the sync button it would do nothing at all, not even an error mssg.

So in my notebooks section I clicked on to select (checkmark appears in corner) every folder I wanted to sync, then clicked the sync button. An error message then popped up saying that Evernote has temporarily revoked my access to the server and to please enter my password. I did and...BAM! It worked! :)

Archived