One-way sync?

windpower

If you use the web browser only, then you achieve the effect of having no locally stored Evernote files.... however you also achieve the effect of using the considerably less capable web interface instead of the much more robust desktop application. 

If you use the web browser only, then you achieve the effect of having no locally stored Evernote files.... however you also achieve the effect of using the considerably less capable web interface instead of the much more robust desktop application. 

Most of what I save in Evernote consists of articles I hardly ever need to refer to.  I keep them as documentation, and do not often search for specific items.

However, though I have a fast, powerful PC in the desktop version I see "not responding" way too often, whereas I have no such problems with the online version (I have a 200mb internet connection).

If you are primarily clipping from the web, it is not necessary to have the desktop application installed. You could clip articles and live entirely on the web interface if this is preferable to you. 

Although I suspect the REAL ideal solution would be to have the desktop client perform better!

Although I suspect the REAL ideal solution would be to have the desktop client perform better!

Absolutely.  Some progress has been made in recent versions, but I wish my desktop Evernote (5GB database) would be as lightning-fast as my old and still-in-use Info Select 8 (32GB database).

FYI, If you do not use a desktop client and then retain a copy of the desktop client's database, you have no backup of your notes. IE, if, for some reason, all your notes get mangled or deleted & the trash emptied on the EN servers, you are SOL.

• Level 5*

Absolutely.  Some progress has been made in recent versions, but I wish my desktop Evernote (5GB database) would be as lightning-fast as my old and still-in-use Info Select 8 (32GB database).

14.5 GB data base here and no lags after update to current release.  Could something else be going on?

14.5 GB data base here and no lags after update to current release.  Could something else be going on?

I don't know.  No other programs I use lag in any way.  I've tried it with and without anti-virus software.  Tried the debug menu.  Ran it with no other programs running.  Windows 7 is up to date, EN is on latest version.  Don't know what else I could try. 

FYI, If you do not use a desktop client and then retain a copy of the desktop client's database, you have no backup of your notes. IE, if, for some reason, all your notes get mangled or deleted & the trash emptied on the EN servers, you are SOL.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but right now it's my only good option.  I wish EN had an off-site backup option other than syncing to the desktop version, though.

• Level 5*

I don't know.  No other programs I use lag in any way.  I've tried it with and without anti-virus software.  Tried the debug menu.  Ran it with no other programs running.  Windows 7 is up to date, EN is on latest version.  Don't know what else I could try. 

Hmmm.  Machine wise I have 8GB of memory and use solid state disk.  Without the SSD and on EN V4 I had lags, installing the SSD removed those lags.  V5 introduced lags again even with the SSD up until this most recent version where some performance enhancements must have been made.  Don't want to throw hardware at things, but could it be that?  

Hmmm.  Machine wise I have 8GB of memory and use solid state disk.  Without the SSD and on EN V4 I had lags, installing the SSD removed those lags.  V5 introduced lags again even with the SSD up until this most recent version where some performance enhancements must have been made.  Don't want to throw hardware at things, but could it be that?  

Yes, that could certainly be the case.  I'm on a 32-bit machine with 4GB of memory.  But I wouldn't want to upgrade to a bigger-and-better machine just for Evernote.

• Level 5*

Yes, that could certainly be the case.  I'm on a 32-bit machine with 4GB of memory.  But I wouldn't want to upgrade to a bigger-and-better machine just for Evernote.

Totally agree on the upgrade.  Solid state only isn't as costly, but still may not be worth it.  Hope things get better somehow..  

Archived