Install Evernote on a different drive

How can I install Evernote on a different drive then the default C: drive under Windows? I don't get a menu where I can indicate the location I want when I run the install program.

Don't know why you like to install it on another driver.

If you just want to protect local database of Evernote, I recommend you move the database directory by "tool -->options --> Evernote local files", browser to a path where you want to put the database and then apply.

By doing this, you can save disk space of C driver, and no need to worry about data when formatting C or reinstall operation systems.

Don't know why you like to install it on another driver.

If you just want to protect local database of Evernote, I recommend you move the database directory by "tool -->options --> Evernote local files", browser to a path where you want to put the database and then apply.

By doing this, you can save disk space of C driver, and no need to worry about data when formatting C or reinstall operation systems.

One reason is to conserve space. I have a LOT of programs on my computer & I NEVER install programs on my boot drive, unless there is no option to change it. It's easy as pie to replace any drive other than a boot drive, which requires special considerations. It's not all that difficult to make a new boot drive. But it's not as easy as copy/pasting files from one drive to another, either. When a boot drive starts to get full, it impacts the speed of everything you do on that computer. And if the boot drive gets full, you can't just buy a bigger one, copy the files over & swap it out, like you can with secondary drives. Instead, you have to make a new boot drive. So I keep everything I can off my boot drive and reserve it for use by the OS.

That is exactly why I want to install programs on any drive but C:.

I changed the user variable TEMP to a different drive, I created a different system variable %PROGRAMFILES% to point to a different drive, it all helps but not for Evernote.

I think it would be a good and sensible addition to Evernote when an installation would be possible on a different drive then the C: drive.

I don't get the License Agreement page. Did an uninstall using Revo Uninstaller. After that tried to install using the latest download. That uncompresses and install right away without any intermediate pages or menus.

So now the question is how to get that License Agreement page.

In that case, the system still thinks EN is installed. What you're seeing is the upgrade path in the installer.

As a quick test, I just uninstalled from the control panel, downloaded the current version off the website and installed. The License Agreement appeared.

That is strange, through the control panel it worked. That means that Revo Uninstaller didn't uninstall everything despite the thorough search in the register.

But more important: when you do an upgrade of Evernote the update doesn't look where the program is installed (it neither looks at the system variable %programfiles%).

In the update the Licence Agreement isn't shown, so you don't get the possibility to indicate where you want the update. The result is (or was in my case) that the update is installed on the default drive C: which is not preferable.

I guess this is a bug in the update of Evernote.

That is strange, through the control panel it worked. That means that Revo Uninstaller didn't uninstall everything despite the thorough search in the register.

But more important: when you do an upgrade of Evernote the update doesn't look where the program is installed (it neither looks at the system variable %programfiles%).

In the update the Licence Agreement isn't shown, so you don't get the possibility to indicate where you want the update. The result is (or was in my case) that the update is installed on the default drive C: which is not preferable.

I guess this is a bug in the update of Evernote.

Maybe an issue between certain versions? What versions where you upgrading from/to?

I just tested 5.5.2 to 5.5.3 and everything worked as expected - EN stayed on the D: drive. This worked in both a non-admin (per-user) install and an admin (per-machine) install. Did not test admin/per-user.

• 11 months later...

I get the TOS screen, go to the Advanced option, change the install location to the D: drive yet it still goes to the screen that tells me there is not enough space on the C: drive to install. I downloaded the program to the D: drive originally but it still wants to install on the C: drive. 

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

LIKE THIS

•  Quote  From the Evernote Windows client, choose:  Tools | Options | General | Evernote local files -- then hit the "Change..." button.

Doesn't work for me -- I am only seeing a very limited option for path in the window that appears under the 'Change' button -- it appears to be constrained to the user folder on the 'C' drive. I need to locate my data on a different local drive, not on my 'C' drive, which is a small SSD boot drive.

Is it not possible to relocate the data to a location of my choice via this process? Why would it be constrained?

Are you on an early version of Win10 still? There was a bug in the early release of Windows 10 that caused the API we use to not work properly. If I remember correctly, we also tweaked our code to work around that. Running 5.9.9 on Win10 build 10586 always me to move pretty much anywhere I want. (Expand 'This PC' to see all the local drives.)

• 1 month later...

This sort of behavior continues, sadly. Here is my experience, for the benefit of anyone who encounters the problem when updating to version 6:  I install Evernote on my e: drive. (I'm running Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, happily.) It has been there through every update of version 5 that I selected (at least 6 of them). Each version 5 update was straightforward and went smoothly. Then came version 6. The installation SEEMED to go as smoothly as before, and after it finished I shut down my machine.  When next I turned it on, my Evernote desktop icon was "blank" and the toolbar icon was missing. I checked my install location and there was nothing there. The program had been installed in c:\Program Files (x86). Following the guidance above, I uninstalled the program through the control panel, downloaded the installation executable for version 6.something, and reinstalled. The license agreement DID appear and the small print about changing installation options was there. Version 6 now sits where I want it, in e:\evernote.

In a program as mature as Evernote, none of this should be necessary.

• 2 years later...

Wow, this is a 4 year old problem and instead of just fixing it Evernote chose to argue with customers. I just paid for premium and am having this same problem. I think I'll be asking for a refund if I can't find a fix withing about the next ten minutes, since OneNote is already included with Office. 

Archived