Evernote for windows desktop is sooo so slow.

Nick Smith

Hi peeps

The larger my Evernote database gets (8000 notes, 6MB) the slower it seems to get.  'Evernote not responding' regularly appears as I click and browse the notes.

Following Phil Libin missive a few months ago where he announced that the near term focus would be on performance, I took the decision to bear with it and hope that things improved, but using Evernote has become a painful experience now.  I would love to be offered hope here.

P.S. I'm running 5.4.1.40047 

• Level 5*

The Windows beta version is up to 5.5.2.4187 and has some good reviews from former slowness sufferers.  It also may help to do a 'clean' install and generally give your desktop a spruce-up if it needs one.  (More information on clean installs in the forum..)

• Level 5*

Don't have access to the link right now, but I always back up my database (.exb file) before I do the update. I set the Tools/Options dialog to allow update to pre-release version when available (it doesn't install automatically), so I do have the latest version. I have to say that it has been a long time since I lost any data and needed to use my back-up file, except for a single note that I accidentally deleted and wanted to recover. A clean install usually requires you to uninstall the current version with Revo Uninstaller ... make sure it doesn't delete your data files as well. Turn off auto sync in the version you are uninstalling. Let the new version install the database where it wants to (do not let it over-write your back-up file. Turn off the auto-sync, exit the program completely, and copy your backup to the location of the new .exb file. Let it synchronize with the EN servers, then you are free to move the database to where-ever you want if it is not in your preferred location.

• Level 5*

There's a direct download for the new version here - updating the existing installation wouldn't be a clean reinstall.  I had a quick search around the forums for the previous (many) times we've said this,  but it's easier to restate it -

Backup your existing Evernote folder completely (in case anything goes really badly wrong so you can just recreate the current status if necessary).  That's usually at C:\Users\<yourID>\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote.

Open your current version and check for unsynced notes and local notebooks. File > Export them to ENEX files,  one for each notebook.  Make sure you check the 'tag' box in Options.

Exit Evernote completely - File > Exit or Ctrl-Q

Run Revo Uninstaller to remove Evernote.  There's a free version of the software or you can take a 30-day trial of the full version.

Download and install the new version.  Log in with your existing account details.

Your database file should not have been removed by Revo,  but if it was,  wait until the notes have been recreated from the server and then reimport any unsynced/ local notes.

Otherwise the database should load and notes will be available immediately.

Hope that helps..

• Level 5*

Thanks gazumped.  Could you point me to a link that tells me how to do a 'clean install' that ensures I don't lose and data, please?

The speed has increased dramatically with the new public release, 4187.  For me, 5-7 second lags have disappeared.  Click and go, no pauses.  Well worth going and getting it.  Hopefully your experience mirrors mine.

Archived