Evernote Passcode on iPhone

Hello,

I would love to keep my passcode option to "on" to access evernote from my iphone just in case I lose my phone.  I wouldn't want anybody to be able to find my phone and be able to look at all my files!!!

I subscribe to premium and set the passcode to "on".  It will work for a while and then it randomly turns itself to "off" and you can pick up my phone and open Evernote right up.  Very scary and annoying.  I have sent evernote an email and never got a reply.

Does anybody have any hints or tips?  Or, evernote, can you PLEASE fix this?

Thanks,

J

Hi,

PASSWORD PROTECTION:

As far as I know, you can only password-protect individual notes, not entire notebooks or the whole of your database. However, I did a quick Google search and discovered there are 3rd Party security systems out there that password protect entire program applications on your iPad. (Or any mobile platform for that matter.)

Below is a link to the question of iPad app security on the eHow website. Have a look through for more guidance. (I'm on Android and have zero iPad experience.)

http://www.ehow.com/how_7633184_password-protect-apps-ipad.html/

Data security for Evernote and in general, is a much discussed topic in this forum. You may want to run a couple searches and check out the different threads.

EVERNOTE SUPPORT:

➡ How many business days ago did you send your Support query?

Evernote is open 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Pacific time, from Monday to Friday. Premium accounts such as yours do take priority over free ones, and we've heard (here on the forum) that the goal is to respond within one business day. (Though it can take longer depending on how busy they are.) If you sent your request late on say, Thursday or on Friday, it's possible you will see a response come Monday.

➡ Also, when you say you emailed Evernote, are you referring to the Support Link on their website? If you used that to initiate your request for help, then you should have recieved an auto-email reply shortly thereafter with a Support Ticket number assigned to your case. If you did not go through the message link on the Evernote website and recieve email with a Ticket number, then they are unaware of your need. In case this isn't making much sense, I've included a link to a pinned forum post by GBarry, an Evernote employee, that outlines everything you need to know when contacting their Support department.

As well, as a Premium subscriber, you are also entitled to use Live Chat to speak to Support in real time. (Or as real as one can get typing back and forth with someone else over the internet...

• Level 5*

I'm afraid Wordsgood is incorrect in this case. It is possible for Premium iOS users to PIN code protect their app.

I don't think this is a general problem as I haven't seen others complaining so it's most likely specific to your installation, I'd suggest the following.

1. Make sure all the notes on your phone are sync'd up to the service.

2. Delete the app from your phone AND iTunes.

3. Reboot your phone

4. Download the app to iTunes

5. Sync your phone so that the app installs

6. Enter your Evernote credentials and sync up

A reinstall fixes a multitude of problems with lots of iOS so this might just sort you out.

When you say you sent an email to Evernote, do you mean you opened a support ticket? If so, you should have received a ticket number - post it here if you'd like one of us to flag it for an employee to follow up on.

And of course you could add a PIN code to your phone and protect all your data and not just Evernote.

• 1 month later...

This is happening to me as well on iOS with an iPhone 6.  I turn on the passcode then it later disables.  The app was installed fresh with the initial phone setup.  I never used passcode with iOS 7 on my prior iPhone 5 so I do know know if the problem happened before or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Happening to me as well. On both an iPhone 4/iOS 7x and on an iPad 2 /iOS 8.02. I have been using passcode to lock the app for a couple of years with no problem. Since this summer, it resets to "off" systematically when the  app is re-launched.

It's kind of frustrating now, I keep a lot of important notes and files in Evernote, and I don't feel safe using it anymore when the passcode disables itself.

I believe 1Password had a similar issue, I don't understand the technical pieces, but it was an issue related to the Touch ID sensor and the keychain. Maybe that will help.

Pretty shocking that Evernote is not jumping on this.  Given that they had a password breach a year or two ago, I'm surprised this has not been escalated.  I "may" have fixed it with a deletion and reinstall, but I also changed some of my iphone settings at the same time.  

I sent support a note about it.  They said that my issue "has already been reported to the product team" and they are "not sure when the issue will be resolved." My ticket was "closed" since this was a known issue. This only makes me feel less secure that I have fixed the problem given that support is not suggesting that a deletion of the app and reinstall is a solution.

I used to have all my notes synced for offline use, I can't do that without the extra bit of security a passcode offers me.  Limits my use of the program now.  I only pay like $40/year, but it feels like I'm entitled to some tiny refund given the sudden reduced functionality.

FWIW it was support ticket # 759256

Same problem here. I can't believe Evernote hasn't solved this problem yet. So insecure and creepy to repeatedly activate the PIN code lock function in iOS,  and have it later turn itself off without warning. Scary. And a shocking bug not to fix on an emergency basis.

Hos is this not a priority?

I reported the issue Sept 30 (passcode turns off across all iOS8 devices). Ticket# 746675. EN support responsed Oct 1:

This is a bug and I reported it to our product team for resolution. I’m not sure when the issue will be resolved, but will do our best to roll out a fix soon.

I’m going to close your ticket. Our development team may need more information and tests, so let me know if I can get back in touch with you to help us fix the bug.

Otherwise, I can notify you when your issue has been fixed and scheduled for release.

And my response: 

Hi Ben -

Thanks for your reply.

I'm happy to provide any information needed to help fix the problem.

The bug undermine's my confidence in Evernote's security features and I'll have to reassess whether I can continue with Evernote or look for an alternative.

• Level 5*

I disabled Touch ID in EN for now, see if that helps.

It doesn't, because it has happened on my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini Retina, neither of which have TouchID.

Clearly no priority on security at Evernote. They offered me a year of free service but I can't use the product now. They just don't get it. At a time when cyber theft is in the news constantly, they let a security bug linger. And linger. And decide to not warn people about the bug and implement other changes while ignoring this password bug. Who knows what other security issues might be lurking that we don't know about. We only know security is not so important to them.

I can use this for personal notes, but this is not a product for businesses where security may matter more.

Happening to me as well. On both an iPhone 4/iOS 7x and on an iPad 2 /iOS 8.02. I have been using passcode to lock the app for a couple of years with no problem. Since this summer, it resets to "off" systematically when the  app is re-launched.

I updated EN on both devices last night and the issue seems to be fixed. The passcode setting holds on.

Thanks to EN for the fix. Not impressed by the (lack of) communication around the issue, though.

I updated EN on both devices last night and the issue seems to be fixed. The passcode setting holds on.

Thanks to EN for the fix. Not impressed by the (lack of) communication around the issue, though.

It's not fixed for me (iPhone 6).

I haven't tested whether it's fixed, but support did tell me weeks ago that I'd get an email when it was indeed fixed.  Given no email yet I don't have any proof that the issue has been addressed.  The bug was intermittent on my iphone6 and ipad Air (both ios 8.1) so just because it's not happening for a while doesn't lead me to believe that Evernote solved this or even looked at it.  I certainly didn't see the passcode issue mentioned in the update notes.  Did anyone?

Just got a response to my ticket at 6:01am eastern this morning:

"This bug has been fixed by our development team recently. A new version of the app will be available soon through the App Store. I’m not sure when exactly."

So I guess we shall see, when the next release comes out.

I've complained about this before and it is still not working. I agree with earlier posters that this HAS TO BE A PRIORITY to EN. It seems to unlock whenever the app is upgraded and randomly at other times. I'm on iOS 6 on my iPhone and iOS7 on my iPad and it happens on both devices.

This has happened to me too. As with other members, I have been keeping a lot of confidential details on Evernote, and thought that by paying for Premium I was securing them. I stayed loyal to Evernote despite the password breach a while back (partly because I've got so much on Evernote that it would be a helluva palaver to move it all), but now my confidence has been shaken. I'm currently looking for a replacement, and have been googling 'Evernote alternatives' like it's going out of style. 

So disappointing, as Evernote is in many ways the very best notetaking/storage app, and I haven't (yet) found another to match it. But, bottom line, I can't go on putting my confidential information at risk.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The latest iOS update did not fix the issue for me! I've had this issue with iPhone 5 with iOS 7 and now iPhone 6. I'm really surprised this has not been fixed because I'm sure there are a lot of users who have not complained but are waiting for a fix. Or have quit using Evernote.

• Level 5*

The latest iOS update did not fix the issue for me! I've had this issue with iPhone 5 with iOS 7 and now iPhone 6. I'm really surprised this has not been fixed because I'm sure there are a lot of users who have not complained but are waiting for a fix. Or have quit using Evernote.

File a bug report. I've got EN on 2 devices and the most recent release definitely fixed it for me and many others. There is either something wrong with your particular setup or you've identified a new and more obscure cause, and either way, Evernote needs to know about it to help and, if necessary, prepare another fix.

• 1 month later...

Archived