About Merging Notes

So I have two questions regarding merging notes: 

1. Is there a way for me to choose the order of the merged notes? For example, if I'm merging two notes, (let's call them A and B) can I somehow have the merged note display the content from B, before the content from A? 

So just to further clarify, if note A said "Hello!" and note "B" said "Greetings!", how do I get the merged note to say: 

Greetings!

Hello!

Instead of:

Hello!

Greetings!

2. For some reason, whenever I merge two notes, if say it displayed note A's content first and then note B's, the title of note B is in like really gigantic letters, within a blue box. (See attached image) Is there a way to avoid that? (not display note B's title for example)

post-210673-0-85147200-1406173860_thumb.

• Level 5

It all depends on the SEQUENCE you are clicking your notes for merging.

If you have notes no 1, 2, 3, you are free to merge the notes in any sequence you want.

(List view is good for that).

In your example above: Click the note with "Greetings" first, then (holding down Ctrl-key) "Hello" and merge.

That should do the trick.

Wern

• Level 5*

If you have notes no 1, 2, 3, you are free to merge the notes in any sequence you want.

In your example above: Click the note with "Greetings" first, then (holding down Ctrl-key) "Hello" and merge.

Wern

Wern, doesn't seem to work that way on the Mac.

I running the latest ver, 5.5.2, and regardless of the order I click on them, it uses the order sorted by Updated Date, descending.

Also, on the Mac, you use "CMD" to multi-select, NOT "CTRL".

Wern

Wern, doesn't seem to work that way on the Mac.

I running the latest ver, 5.5.2, and regardless of the order I click on them, it uses the order sorted by Updated Date, descending.

Also, on the Mac, you use "CMD" to multi-select, NOT "CTRL".

To be precise: It uses the order in which the notes are listed when you multi-select. If you change the sort order, the merged note will respect that order. 

So I have two questions regarding merging notes: 

1. Is there a way for me to choose the order of the merged notes? For example, if I'm merging two notes, (let's call them A and B) can I somehow have the merged note display the content from B, before the content from A? 

So just to further clarify, if note A said "Hello!" and note "B" said "Greetings!", how do I get the merged note to say: 

Greetings!

Hello!

Instead of:

Hello!

Greetings!

2. For some reason, whenever I merge two notes, if say it displayed note A's content first and then note B's, the title of note B is in like really gigantic letters, within a blue box. (See attached image) Is there a way to avoid that? (not display note B's title for example)

1) You need to use list view to have any control over how notes are merged. The notes will be merged in the order they are listed. So, in this case, you'd just have to sort the notes alphabetically and select both of them and commit the merge. It is usually possible to find a way to make the notes list in the order you want to.

2) No. Your only option is to manually delete these headers.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add - was looking at the same formatting problem myself. Found I could quickly get rid of the giant blue boxes by using Format -> Simplify Formatting. My notes are all plain text, so it worked like a charm, but if you have other formatting in there as well it'll get stripped out too.

• 4 months later...

To manipulate order on a Mac, charge edit date by manipulating the notes in the reverse order you want them to appear.  For example, if you have notes for years currently in date order of 2014, 2015, 2012, 2013 and want them in year descending with 2015 first and 2012 last, edit in ascending order, 2012 first and 2015 last.  It doesn't matter how you edit.  I just add the letter a as an edit and then delete it immediately.  Then your notes are ordered for a proper descending year merge.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

To manipulate order on a Mac, charge edit date by manipulating the notes in the reverse order you want them to appear.  For example, if you have notes for years currently in date order of 2014, 2015, 2012, 2013 and want them in year descending with 2015 first and 2012 last, edit in ascending order, 2012 first and 2015 last.  It doesn't matter how you edit.  I just add the letter a as an edit and then delete it immediately.  Then your notes are ordered for a proper descending year merge.

Really? That is kind of silly. Is this a noted bug that is being worked on? On the Windows client. the notes are merged in the order you select them. You don't have to spend time editing them first. Very frustrating.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Really? That is kind of silly. Is this a noted bug that is being worked on? On the Windows client. the notes are merged in the order you select them. You don't have to spend time editing them first. Very frustrating.

Is this an issue Evernote is working on? I have 6.0.15 and it still merges them in the order they were created, not in the order selected. Insanely frustrating.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Not working yet. It can't be so hard to fix, as far as I know merging in the order selected works in the Evernote PC version.

This is completely stupid.

I have a folder in my account where I move notes I want to merge then I merge them on my PC at work later. this really needs to be fixed.

I have a folder in my account where I move notes I want to merge then I merge them on my PC at work later. this really needs to be fixed.

I sort it out adding numbers to all the headers following the order I need, then changing the view by title. Once I merge them, I delete the numbers in every header.

A huge waste of time, especially if you do it so often or need to merge large quantities of notes. It shouldn't be that way in a tool designed to boost your productivity.

• 2 months later...

Not working yet. It can't be so hard to fix, as far as I know merging in the order selected works in the Evernote PC version.

I completely agree. I use EN on both a Mac and a PC, so thank goodness I can do my merging on the PC. The way merge works on a Mac is idiotic.

• Level 5*

i don't think they care. This thread is 18 months old. It has been more important for them to remove the subject line of the note when it is long and you scroll up and to have "Notes" always highlighted in blue in the side panel regardless of what notebook you are in so you cannot really tell what your context is. Merging notes in the order selected is not a priority for the mac team.

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Boat_Guy said:

Has anyone heard from evernote with regard to this issue? This has transformed a tool that is supposed to increase efficiency to a cause of inefficiency.

Nope.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Byter68 said:

Ed, do you think Evernote is seeing this or should we post a more obvious Topic like OS X Feature Request - Merging Notes and link back here?

If you do follow through on this, please post it in the product feedback forum so that it can be better treated as a feature request.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, DTLow said:

If you do follow through on this, please post it in the product feedback forum so that it can be better treated as a feature request.

Anything you can do to elevate, please do. it has been discussed for a long time and brought up in the beta forums many times. I think it is a bug that it ignores the order chosen given the Windows version does this. EN has yet to act on it though. They know about it to be sure.

• 10 months later...

I wanted to second everyone else's thoughts here. It is important to allow users the control to sort which notes appear in what order after a merge.... otherwise, it is a haphazard merge and doesn't make sense after the merge! @evernote, can you please let us know if this is on your horizon? Thank you. 

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, howdoogie said:

it is a haphazard merge and doesn't make sense after the merge!

The merge order is very specific - the notes are merged in the exact sequence you see them - title or date sequence

>>It is important to allow users the control to sort which notes appear in what order after a merge

The best I could do currently is modify the notes so they show in the sequence I want

>>@evernote, can you please let us know if this is on your horizon?

Evernote isn't in the practice of identifying their roadmap.  The latest beta has no changes for Merge order

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, howdoogie said:

I wanted to second everyone else's thoughts here. It is important to allow users the control to sort which notes appear in what order after a merge.... otherwise, it is a haphazard merge and doesn't make sense after the merge! @evernote, can you please let us know if this is on your horizon? Thank you. 

It isn't a haphazard merge. In the Windows client, it is in the order you select. On the Mac client, it is in the order the notes were modified in, regardless of how you select them.

For this reason, when I need to merge a bunch of notes on my Mac, I just move them to a temp notebook then merge them later on my PC at work.

You could modify the notes in some innocuous way, like adding a word then deleting it, to change the modified date, then do that in the order (or is it reverse order?) you want the notes merged in. Sadly, that is the only way to get them in a specific order if you don't have access to Evernote for Windows.

On the Mac, the order the notes were modified no longer matters. I have two notes and have updated them so that they are in one order then the other and it makes absolutely no difference. The merger order is always the same (and wrong!)I am using EN ^.10 and have spent more than an hour simply trying to figure this out. Evernote, is anyone home??

On 1/30/2017 at 1:53 PM, EdH said:

It isn't a haphazard merge. In the Windows client, it is in the order you select. On the Mac client, it is in the order the notes were modified in, regardless of how you select them.

For this reason, when I need to merge a bunch of notes on my Mac, I just move them to a temp notebook then merge them later on my PC at work.

You could modify the notes in some innocuous way, like adding a word then deleting it, to change the modified date, then do that in the order (or is it reverse order?) you want the notes merged in. Sadly, that is the only way to get them in a specific order if you don't have access to Evernote for Windows.

6 minutes ago, kdeemer said:

On the Mac, the order the notes were modified no longer matters. I have two notes and have updated them so that they are in one order then the other and it makes absolutely no difference. The merger order is always the same (and wrong!)I am using EN ^.10 and have spent more than an hour simply trying to figure this out. Evernote, is anyone home??

I'm on the 6.11 beta 1, and it allows you to create the order you want within the merged note.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, kdeemer said:

Odd. I'll have to play with this this weekend. It cannot be random. There must be a logic to how it is doing it.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, kdeemer said:

On the Mac, the order the notes were modified no longer matters.

20 minutes ago, jim.g said:

I'm on the 6.11 beta 1, and it allows you to create the order you want within the merged note.

I don't understand what you two are saying

I'm looking at a list of notes in order of    a b c z y x
When I merge the notes, the order is       a b c z y x    exactly the same

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I don't understand what you two are saying

I'm looking at a list of notes in order of    a b c z y x
When I merge the notes, the order is       a b c z y x    exactly the same

What if you select the notes in order of b a x y z c?

In Windows, they will merge in that order. I haven't tested the latest beta because it hasn't been fixed in the almost 2 years I've owned a mac, and didn't expect it to be fixed 2 weeks ago.

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, EdH said:

What if you select the notes in order of b a x y z c?

In Windows, they will merge in that order.

True in Windows; not true in Mac - the order you select has no effect

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, DTLow said:

True in Windows; not true in Mac - the order you select has no effect

Right, so still busted.

I wonder if they are merged in the order they are shown in, meaning if you change your sort, they merge differently? I assumed it was date edited, because I always sort by edit date.

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, EdH said:

I wonder if they are merged in the order they are shown in

Absolutely - this is how I control the order the notes are merged in

My notes are in update order, and by adding a space I can move notes up or down the list
Not as easy as selection order, but it works

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Absolutely - this is how I control the order the notes are merged in

My notes are in update order, and by adding a space I can move notes up or down the list
Not as easy as selection order, but it works

with no ability to control the order short of fakeing the editing, that is the most nonsensical thing I've ever heard of.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, howdoogie said:

Thanks! Why are all these people talking about it, but nobody voting for it (except me now +1)?

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/101199-merge-note-improvement-request/?comment=437319&do=findComment

Because the voting system is unintuitive, isn't curated, so there are dupes, and it is hard to find things to vote on because the search tool is no good either. 

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, EdH said:

Because the voting system is unintuitive, isn't curated, so there are dupes, and it is hard to find things to vote on because the search tool is no good either.

You left out the why bother reason.  To me it seems like EN doesn't consider this feedback at all in their product planning.  I have to admit that voting just seems like a feel good bone to the forum dwellers with no real influence.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

You left out the why bother reason.  To me it seems like EN doesn't consider this feedback at all in their product planning.  I have to admit that voting just seems like a feel good bone to the forum dwellers with no real influence.

While I would partly agree, I am not sure those in EN that make decisions are too influenced by polls that have 3 votes (which would be a high count) not realizing that the mechanism in place to collect these votes is next to useless. UserVoice.com would be a better solution. MS uses that rather than rolling their own.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

To me it seems like EN doesn't consider this feedback at all in their product planning.  I have to admit that voting just seems like a feel good bone to the forum dwellers with no real influence.

Its true the voting doesn't have a direct or indirect link to decision making, but it does serve to focus the users opinions.
I prefer the vote buttons to the "+1" posts, and the "+1 Evernote's So Bad" posts

I heard a comedian talk about the purpose of the oxygen masks on planes was to muffle passengers so they didn't disturb the crew ^_^

Archived