Printing Document Highlighting

willie999

Since I have updated my version of Evernote on Windows 7 to V 5.5.2.4187 highlighted text displays as highlighted but the highlight does not appear in print preview or in the printout of the note. 

I synced my notes and printed the same note from Evernote Version 5.5.2 (402634) on my MAC to the same printer and the highlights printed. 

They used to print from the Windows version too but not any more.   I also believe that they did not print in the previous version of Evernote for Windows.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?    Has anyone discovered a work around for it.   Has this been reported as an "official" problem to people who can do something about it?

I'm afraid to update my MAC version now for fear that I will never be able to print highlighting on text ever again  :o

Bill

• Level 5*

Sometimes things drop out of updates through oversight - no workarounds that I'm aware of,  (apart from print,  then manually highlight...).  To report,  see the Support link below.  Not to update - reasonable for a short-ish time;  let others take the strain of fixing minor annoyances.  Not so wise if you want bug fixes and serious improvements...

Thanks for the response.   I just officially reported it so we'll see what they say about it.   

I'd rather highlight text in the note and then print it because I have an inkjet printer and I grab the highlighter before the ink is dry enough and smear the text instead of highlighting it when I do it by hand.   Guess I'll have to learn to be more patient!  :D

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same problem - and I need to print out my highlighted notes for a job interview this afternoon!!

I am going to uninstall version 5.1 and reinstall 4.6.

Before I do that, however, I wanted to ask -- any chance this has been fixed in the newest version, 5.5.3.4236?

Thanks!

Laurie

Sorry to give you bad news....I installed 5.5.3.4236 on my Windows 7 PC and it isn't fixed.   I tried reporting the problem to Evernote but since I'm am a "Free" user they just sent me an email that said "We can't help you and we are closing your ticket."

Perhaps some "Pay" user would be willing to officially report this problem to them so they will look into it.

Bill

I just downloaded some older versions from FileHippo and tried them.  I am back to version 5.2.1 and I still have not been able to get the highlight to print.  

I did take all the text in my test note and copy it to OneNote.  The hightlighting did not appear in the OneNote copy either.   Then I highlited the text in OneNote and printed the note without a problem.   After I did that, I copied the note (Ctrl-C) and pasted it into a new note in Evernote (Ctrl-V).   The highlighted text from OneNote was highlighted but the highlight was much brighter than and Evernote highlighted text.   I printed this note from Evernote and the highlighted text printed as highlighted.

This makes me think the problem is in how Evernote is marking the highlight in the note since text highlighted in OneNote and  pasted from the clipboard to Evernote will print with the highlight but text highlighted in Evernote itself will not print with the highlight.

Hopefully someone who can figure out what is going on will read this and take action.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You might be right.   Since I posted this I have downloaded and installed the free versions on Microsoft OneNote.   I copied my note from Evernote in there and redid the highlighting and then printed it.   Printed fine.

I like a lot of things about OneNote but I like a lot of things about Evernote too.    I really like the way Evernote & Clearly work together in my browser.  I plan to continue to use both and just make sure that I use OneNote for anything where I might want to highlight and print.   

It's just a real shame we can't get someone to take a look at this.   It used to work just fine and it is probably a really easy fix for someone familiar with the code.    I tried to report it to support but they don't want to hear from me because I'm not a business user who pays.

• 4 months later...

I'm an educator using the web-based application in Chrome and highlights from Clearly and the Clipper transfer over to my notebook but when I print a specific note, the highlights disappear.

I could cut and paste the note into Google Docs but that's an extra step that I'd like to avoid if possible.  Plus the highlight color that transfers to Docs is very light so the students would have to highlight again. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

HI

Trying to do this myself, I figured out you can print highlights from EN online:  Either copy/paste into a browser the note URL from your installed EN application or just to to EM online and sign in to your account.  In the 1st case print as you would any long web page.  In the second, (in EN online) right click on the note "Snippet" and select print.  Both ways print the highlights.  Doing from EN online is slightly better print quality.

Hope this helps

Good luck

That's good news.   I'm gonna try your method.

More cumbersome than just printing from Evernote itself but it sure is a lot better than having to copy the note into something like Word and redo the highlights and then print.   I'm sure a lot of people will be glad to know this.

Sure wish we could get the Evernote people to look into this problem and fix it.   It used to work so how hard can it be to fix?

• 1 month later...

Could this be a "background graphics" issue? When I use Evernote Web and print, Chrome brings up the preview. Selecting the "Background graphics" option previews (and prints) the highlighted text.

Same thing works for IE 11.0.9600.17801 (Print Background Colors and Images).

I'm going to guess that the Evernote windows print processor ignores background graphics by default. I'm running Evernote 5.8.5.7193 for Windows.

In any event, using Chrome to print your highlighted text seems to be a valid workaround. (Evernote 6.0.11 for Mac seems to print highlighted text just fine.)

• 3 months later...

Archived