Evernote for Mac 5.6 Beta 3

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Hey folks,

I'm happy to announce the third public beta release of Evernote for Mac 5.6. It's because of this beta process that we are able to find and quickly address many issues so thank you all in advance for posting. Here's what's new:

• Reduced CPU usage while syncing
  • Made it easier to pick a destination notebook when moving notes
  • Fixed:
    • Issues related to viewing large amounts of tags
    • The keyboard shortcut for Paste and Match Style
    • Note merging issues
    • Inconsistencies with printing notes
    • Many other sync and stability problems

As always, if you see a crash, please send a crash report via the in-app process! If you see an odd behavior, please post here.

Enjoy the release: http://goo.gl/BocjbR (5.6 Beta 1+ users should see the update automatically) 

Note: If you are running 5.5.2 and have chosen to update to betas from within the app, you will not see this update. We are not quite comfortable auto-updating folks to this build yet. Until then, you can "jump ahead" to this build by downloading/installing manually from the above link or you can wait until we push to the standard beta autoupdate stream.

49 replies to this idea

• Level 5

As long as the blue arrows are still spinning, we're picking up data in the background. Notes that have incompletely cached content will be prioritized when clicked on. Most users' entire accounts should be fully visible (notebooks, shortcuts, note list) on a fresh sync with a fast connection within 30 seconds.

For example, my account has 9,000 notes including Business notebooks and plenty of joined notebooks. It just took me 4m30s to get my full note list (while the many GBs of full note content will take several hours) on my home cable connection.

Lindsey, anything in the old to-migrate directory can be deleted after the migration has been run successfully. We'll delete it automatically before the GA, but we wanted to back up user data automatically during migration process. Feel free to send me your activity logs regarding the timeout error.

Rob, thanks for the double-click report. 

Okay... My ENTIRE account just synced in less than 45 minutes and took up like 2 GBs of space... WTFheck?! Are we on selective sync now or something???

Indeed. It has gotten faster. Glad to see you are shocked. But, as far as I know, we don't have selective sync yet. Are you sure you had 80 GB? Sometimes "purgatory" takes up a lot of space, though 80GB seems excessive! At any rate, just in case, you might want to turn off the Internet and see how things run. The app is a lot smoother now and will do more on the fly, so to speak, without making you wait for the full download. It might not all be there quite yet, even though it is so much faster and "smarter" that it looks like it is there. 

Yep. My database was 80 GB+. 77K notes - stock art, videos, etc I'm so excited for this.

As long as the blue arrows are still spinning, we're picking up data in the background. Notes that have incompletely cached content will be prioritized when clicked on. Most users' entire accounts should be fully visible (notebooks, shortcuts, note list) on a fresh sync with a fast connection within 30 seconds.

For example, my account has 9,000 notes including Business notebooks and plenty of joined notebooks. It just took me 4m30s to get my full note list (while the many GBs of full note content will take several hours) on my home cable connection.

THIS IS AMAZING! You guys have done a great job. You know first hand that I was not exaggerating when I say it took me 2 weeks to sync on a full download (I'm sure there was some ISP issues sprinkled in that time). Thank you for your hard work!! This will save me a lot of time and angst.

• Level 5

Love love love the new "choose a notebook" menu -- did it always have the "recently used notebook" option at the top?

:wub:

That's new. Glad you like it.

THIS IS AMAZING! You guys have done a great job. You know first hand that I was not exaggerating when I say it took me 2 weeks to sync on a full download (I'm sure there was some ISP issues sprinkled in that time). Thank you for your hard work!! This will save me a lot of time and angst.

That's our hope.

Prior to Beta 3 (though I skipped Beta 2) and certainly in current GA release, I was able to drag an Apple mail message from Apple mail into an EN note and bring over the full email (.eml file). As of Beta 3, when I do this action, EN is only including a URL back to the original message. Assuming this was a product change, this is a significant step backward. No longer can I store a message I want to save with a note independent of Apple Mail. Was this fundamental capability removed?

• Level 5

Prior to Beta 3 (though I skipped Beta 2) and certainly in current GA release, I was able to drag an Apple mail message from Apple mail into an EN note and bring over the full email (.eml file). As of Beta 3, when I do this action, EN is only including a URL back to the original message. Assuming this was a product change, this is a significant step backward. No longer can I store a message I want to save with a note independent of Apple Mail. Was this fundamental capability removed?

Please don't double post. We're looking into it.

Please don't double post. We're looking into it.

Sorry, there was no response on the Beta 1 forum and then I realized there was a new Beta 3 forum. So, I assumed the Beta 1 thread had gone dormant. Glad to hear this is being researched! thanks for the response

Yeah I've got to say the new sync is hard to live without, I was using the GA version on another system and really missed the sync and a lot of other little features that made it into the beta that make a big difference! 

Thanks guys! And also, lets see more of this! 

I for one am getting confused about the bugs reported, how to report etc etc... As per above, asked not to double post...?

I had previously posted in B2 forum I think it was where the tables are all over the place when you Share the Note or indeed enter Presentation Mode.  This is still there, Note here.

Another one was when you open a Note from Expanded Card View, annotate, you loose Cursor positioning.  You need to come out of the Note and go back in to get it back again.

Please advise if there is a quick Note showing, reported Bugs within this forum and their status in order to avoid repetition?

• Level 5*

Lindsey, anything in the old to-migrate directory can be deleted after the migration has been run successfully. We'll delete it automatically before the GA, but we wanted to back up user data automatically during migration process. Feel free to send me your activity logs regarding the timeout error.

Okay... My ENTIRE account just synced in less than 45 minutes and took up like 2 GBs of space... WTFheck?! Are we on selective sync now or something???

Indeed. It has gotten faster. Glad to see you are shocked. But, as far as I know, we don't have selective sync yet. Are you sure you had 80 GB? Sometimes "purgatory" takes up a lot of space, though 80GB seems excessive! At any rate, just in case, you might want to turn off the Internet and see how things run. The app is a lot smoother now and will do more on the fly, so to speak, without making you wait for the full download. It might not all be there quite yet, even though it is so much faster and "smarter" that it looks like it is there. 

I wasnt trying to create confusion thru multiple posts. I only posted a second time because the other post in beta 1 thread had no response after an extended period. Only then realized there was a new beta 3 thread. Glad to now know the issue is being researched and i will certainly carefully choose threads for future posts!! :-)

I wasnt trying to create confusion thru multiple posts. I only posted a second time because the other post in beta 1 thread had no response after an extended period. Only then realized there was a new beta 3 thread. Glad to now know the issue is being researched and i will certainly carefully choose threads for future posts!! :-)

I wouldn't fret too much! An honest mistake. 

A couple of minor formatting issues.

If you have indented text that is left aligned and then you justify it you lose the indent.  

It is not possible to justify bulleted or numbered lists – I think we should be able to justify them.

A really weird issue which I found whilst playing around with the issue above!

Take the following text set up:

Galileo excelled in many different fields including science, philosophy, music and painting.  His scientific work included much important work in the area of motion, in particular the motion of pendula and the acceleration of free fall.  He was one of the first to propose abstract theories that were ideal and could not be accurately observed under conditions that were less than ideal.

text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.  text text.

The first paragraph is justified and indented.  The second is left aligned and indented.

If you place the cursor to the left of the text and use backspace to delete the line/paragraph breaks up to the end of the first paragraph the paragraph gets split up into separate lines, i.e.
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  
text text.  

A new line gets inserted where there is a double space between the full stop (period) and following word.  I have reproduced this with more complex sentences e.g. 

Italian scientist and philosopher. Galileo was a true Renaissance man, excelling at many different endeavors, including lute playing and painting.  …

And with non repeated sentences.

I have sometimes repeated this procedure with different portions of text and the behaviour has not appeared.  I don't know if having an image above the first paragraph is relevant?

Anyway this is quite a peculiar and rare bug, which is unlikely to affect many other people ever!

I'm now testing Yosemite too, not sure if the issue is isolated there, but if I try to "copy and share URL"  the url won't flow to the clipboard, a blank string is added instead (cleaning my clipboard). The link is successfully created and I can find it if I choose to open the shared note in the browser.

I've found that dragging a mail to the Evernote icon in the dock creates a new note with the mail attachment (eml-File) while dragging the mail into the body of an existing note creates a link.

I actually would like to have both possibilities since I know many situations where I want the URL as well as many where I want the full EML-File.

Oh and of course I would really like to have a plugin that would allow to import mails from Apple Mail directly (not as EML but as HTML, like happens when you send them, actually the Webclipper for Apple Mail would be great :-)) without sending them over the internet and having a backlink to the original message. Ah, one can dream :-)

Love love love the new "choose a notebook" menu -- did it always have the "recently used notebook" option at the top?

:wub:

The recently used notebook is a new addition. Which is neat timesaving addition. Unfortunately the one-click move is gone. Now we have to double click or even click on a button to make it happen.

I realise it's to prevent us from accidentally move notebooks, but I find it annoying.

I'm having an issue with the prompt - 'Changes to file "name of file" have been saved to your hard drive.' I am asked if I would like to add the latest version of the new note but when I select 'Create note' Evernote closes with a 'problem report.' If I select cancel, it does the same. I edit a lot of program files (pages, numbers, etc) inside of Evernote so have experienced this issue in the past, but never in the loop that I am experiencing so I think it can be attributed to the beta.

• Level 5*

I'm having an issue with the prompt - 'Changes to file "name of file" have been saved to your hard drive.' I am asked if I would like to add the latest version of the new note but when I select 'Create note' Evernote closes with a 'problem report.' If I select cancel, it does the same. I edit a lot of program files (pages, numbers, etc) inside of Evernote so have experienced this issue in the past, but never in the loop that I am experiencing so I think it can be attributed to the beta.

I think we are on beta 4. Have you upgraded to it?

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/64876-evernote-56-beta-4/

Enjoying the new features. Updates like these restore my faith & desire in continuing to pour my work into Evernote.

Still waiting for links to resources on my hard disk to work when I click on them in Evernote.

Problem discovered in beta 2 still exists in 3. When I search a word associated with a particular tag, nothing surfaces although the non-beta version does in fact bring results. For instance, If I search "tag:example "apples"" no results will return in the beta 3 but I will get a particular result that I'm looking for in the non beta version. I hope it is fixed in beta 4. :-)

• Level 5*

I got the update through the App (from beta 1). Installation was fine, then one mouse click on a note and since then I have the beach ball. Restart did not helped.

Hang log is send to the support. And now?

I'd guess at a reinstall.

Problem discovered in beta 2 still exists in 3. When I search a word associated with a particular tag, nothing surfaces although the non-beta version does in fact bring results. For instance, If I search "tag:example "apples"" no results will return in the beta 3 but I will get a particular result that I'm looking for in the non beta version. I hope it is fixed in beta 4. :-)

I tried to reproduce this issue but failed.

I assume the note you are looking for is tagged by 'example', and it contains the keyword 'apples' somewhere in the note body.  Is this correct?   Is "apples" a text keyword or it is somewhere in image?

Can you try to search for "tag:example" only?  Do you get all notes tagged by 'example'?

Can you help create another note in your account with the same note title/body/tags, and search again?

If the note does not contain sensitive info, it will be really helpful if you could export the note and PM to me.

Here is how to export a note: http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/28607737

Thanks,

Two items I've seen in this beta:

1) This has been around since beta 1: The black sidebar has a default width that is set every time you relaunch. It's too wide for me; if I shrink it down, the next time I re-launch it's back to the old side which is about twice as wide as I want (space constraints and all...).

2) A crasher: If you click "Info" on a note, add a URL to the note, then do "Info" again, select and delete the URL... you get a SPOD and a crash. I tried this and got crashes 3/3 times doing this. Crash reports should have been sent to support but given it's pre-release I'm putting it here as well.

Another one: The notebook's note count in the sidebar is not updated immediately. It seems to require a quit and relaunch to update it.

It seems to update OK if you create a new note in a notebook, but if you move a note out of a notebook, or drag one in, it's not. It's not 100%, but I can reproduce it about 3 of 5 times.

Resizing column width has extremely unpredictable results.... The columns do not resize in real time with the cursor movement, and when released, usually other columns have slightly changed their size, and the intended column remains unchanged, or has changed in some way that was not anticipated. 

• Level 5*

Does this version store all notes on my hard drive?  I unistalled a previous version because it was taking up too much space on my computer's hard drive.

Yes

i can't share note via e-mail

in app while e-mailing there isn't any problem it sends. but after 10 seconds "delivery status failure" mail comes

recipients e-mail seems true

Hello Evernote User.

You recently attempted to send an email message from your Evernote account.

Unfortunately, we are unable to deliver the email to your intended recipient(s).

The email was returned to us as undeliverable and no further delivery attempts are possible.

Please verify the email address(es) you used. Some ideas:
  • Check for typos
  • Check for extra spaces

Details on the undeliverable email message:

Subject: 
?UTF-8?Q?Semt_Evleri_Hakkında?

Recipient(s): 

Thank you,

- The Evernote Team

This might be unrelated or as a result of installing too many betas without uninstalling previous versions first, but I have a ton (about 20GB worth) of files marked 'com.Evernote/old/to-migrate/Evernote' under Application Support. Has the installation process maybe not finished yet? If it has, is there anything I can do? 

Thanks

In the editor, double-clicking to select a word also selects the following space. 

So, for example, if you then hit Cmd-U to underline the word, the space after the word is also underlined. 

I don't think this is what's intended. 

• Level 5

I still wish clicking the elephant icon just above Related Notes would perform a show/hide on related notes.

Sometimes I want them, sometimes they're extremely distracting when first creating a note.

That's an interesting suggestion! I never thought about that. I think I'd make use of that too. Normally I want them OFF but there are definitely cases where I'd like them, and I'd be more inclined if I didn't have to menu-surf to do it. 

I had to delete everything and start again... I'll be syncing for 2 weeks. :) Those with larger accounts will most definitely run out of space with that process. My Macbook Air was at zero space as my Evernote doubled the 80+GB that it already is. Will send logs. Thanks

Archived