Presentation mode: Why do I have to scroll the page to get the note body?

If I display a note in presentation mode I get for example "Screen clip" and then have to scroll down to get my clipped image displayed, which I sometimes have to enlarge. That won't work well when presenting! How can I get all that a bit slicker?

• Level 5*

Presentation mode is a new kid on the block and may have some speed bumps that need attention - short term you'd have to fit your clips to one screen length by enlarging/ shrinking,  and split up long pages so they're visible within one screen length (over 2 or more screens).  You should also give Evernote some feedback through the Support page (see below) with maybe a copy of one of your long pages for explanation.  Maybe in Presentation Mode 2.0 more adjustment will be available.

• Level 5*

Presentation mode is close to being a great tool.  With a little more development, I think it could be very useful.

- add a way to suppress the first line title

- allow definable font size

- a little better handling on how content is split

- and add live editing to Windows

Like reminders I have seen no new development since this was released and though I hope for a 2.0 version, I'm doubtful there will be one.  I think Evernote has moved on to the next item on their list, but it would make me very happy to be wrong.

@Browncoat.

Agreed.

However, I'd say Points 2 and 3 are way higher priorities than 1 and 4.

I think point 3 may have been addressed in the last update: 5.5.2.4xxx

Anybody: is there any word from Evernote, or someone who knows about the fonts issue?

FONTS: Basically it seems that

1. There is an upper limit to font size in presentation mode.
  2. Evernote will REDUCE the font size to get to this.

This makes the presentation mode useless for larger groups.

PAGE SPLITS:

The horizontal line is good as far as it goes.

If I have line content line only the line appears, and not part of the next line as well.

Adding in blank lines moved the content UP a little.

I can live with this.

I may post elsewhere on the posts issue.

-Derek

• Level 5*

"Anybody: is there any word from Evernote, or someone who knows about the fonts issue?"

..Evernote staffers are the only ones who would know,  and they (normally) don't share.

I do presentations (a lot) and while I haven't used Evernote for this yet,  that's mainly because my stuff already exists and it'd be more work to convert it to notes than it is to update whatever slides need occasional changes.  

I'd have to rewrite and adapt my stuff along the lines I already suggested above.  I disagree strongly with this McLuhan bloke:  the medium is not the message;  by which I mean converting my current powerpoint (sorry) slides to any other format would mean rethinking the presentation completely.  A good ppt presentation uses a few tricks that it does very well to zip through content.  If I did the same thing in Word I'd lay it out differently,  maybe on more,  or fewer slides,  and be forced to do without the tricks.  Same with Presentation Mode.  

Don't just write standard notes and expect them to be transformed on a big screen.  An audience sharing your presentation is there to be entertained.  This won't be by watching you read your words off a screen.  That's you teasing a few headlines on screen and then performing  the presentation so they get the knowledge you need to impart,  and have a good time receiving it.  Your content needs to be 10% on screen and 90% spoken - though its all right to provide cheat sheets after so people don't get their heads down taking notes.

Clicking 'Presentation' only does the mechanical bit of showing notes on screen.  What's in the notes needs work from you - and it's probably quite different from the copious research notes you put together developing the content...

"Evernote staffers are the only ones who would know,  and they (normally) don't share"

@gazumped

Seriously?

​Whats an "evernote evangelist"  ?

From your footnote: Evernote consider these posts when planning development but don't (normally) comment,  forecast or promise whether or when new features could be released.  

Is it worth posting here?  Is your statement here based on experience? Official policy? hearsay? PK?

Presentation Mode is worthless to me for my context generally, the font is too small.

If Evernote say "we wont"/"we can't" fix this then I know where I stand.

Regards

-Derek

• Level 5*

An Evangelist is a long-time user who's posted numerous fixes and information in the forums and got invited to be a Moderator around here.  There are a few of us.

Is it worth posting here?  Well if you want to request a feature or shout for help,  it generally is.

Is my statement based on experience?  Yes

If you read my post again you'll note I didn't say "won't" or "can't",  and Evernote won't (usually) either.

My point was that Evernote is always developing features and will undoubtedly improve this one in the future,  we just don't know how or when.  Pretty much like the next iPhone really..

gazumped, Re "If you read my post again you'll note I didn't say "won't" or "can't",  and Evernote won't (usually) either"

Just to be clear, I wasn't saying this.  But if Evernote had some of their staffers thinking "This is a bozo suggestion, we wont; do this" I'd like to know.

Or else they could say, "sorry, technically impossible" so 'can't'.

But you sound like you are saying they don't do this (Like APPLE) (as if Apple is a good model??).  I'm getting the picture.  :-)  There's no public roadmap, no minion voting on issues, no-one from EN talks in these dialogues to stop us wasting our time, and we are kept in the dark until something (maybe) happens, but we should post because of what you say in your footer: "Evernote considers these posts"  :-)

HMM.  Ok. I'll be back sometime to respond to your other comments.  You should check out presentation mode sometime when you have a new thing to do.  It's got the potential to save a lot of time.  But at present it's only good for small intimate groups because of this font size issue.  Useless otherwise.

Regards

-Derek

• Level 5*

Evernote really don't (usually) comment on features that may or may not be in development.  Until they identify a possible feature they can't know whether it's technically feasible or not - unless it was a completely dumb*ss suggestion,  which yours isn't.  My only point is that they don't comment.  At all. And future development is always under wraps until they're ready for it to be released,  like Apple and every other software design house I can think of.  Same goes for Ford and car manufacturers,  Nikon and camera companies... 

We have font sizes and HR functionality (page split using horizontal ruler) on the backlog of Mac and iOS presentation mode. 
Currently there are three thresholds for font sizes in presentation mode when the note is native. If the note is a clipper note or another note containing HTML content, we do not apply any 'presentation mode styling' meaning the original layout of the note remains also in presentation mode (including font sizes). Currently also depending the screen size on Mac (changing screens) and on iOS (over airplay) we also do scale the content slightly.

• 3 weeks later...

We have font sizes and HR functionality (page split using horizontal ruler) on the backlog of Mac and iOS presentation mode. 

Currently there are three thresholds for font sizes in presentation mode when the note is native. If the note is a clipper note or another note containing HTML content, we do not apply any 'presentation mode styling' meaning the original layout of the note remains also in presentation mode (including font sizes). Currently also depending the screen size on Mac (changing screens) and on iOS (over airplay) we also do scale the content slightly.

Thank you.

1. I've googled 'native note' to no avail.
  2. Is font sizes in the Windows mode plan as well?
  3. "Clipper note" Unsure exactly this, I found https://evernote.com/webclipper/guide/ so is a clipper note anything that is clipped?  This I will experiment with.

All I did was

1. type a note
  2. insert a bunch of pictures
  3. added in HR lines
  4. result: font size too small

Then:

1. Increased default font size
  2. did 1-3 above
  3. same result.

I'll try clipping and see what that does.  I guess this qualifies as a Hack to solve this problem.. Good news.

Cheers

-Derek

• 3 months later...

Thank you.

1. I've googled 'native note' to no avail.
  2. Is font sizes in the Windows mode plan as well?
  3. "Clipper note" Unsure exactly this, I found https://evernote.com/webclipper/guide/ so is a clipper note anything that is clipped?  This I will experiment with.

All I did was

1. type a note
  2. insert a bunch of pictures
  3. added in HR lines
  4. result: font size too small

Then:

1. Increased default font size
  2. did 1-3 above
  3. same result.

I'll try clipping and see what that does.  I guess this qualifies as a Hack to solve this problem.. Good news.

Cheers

-Derek

Hi Derek,

sorry for delay in my reply.

Native note = note created within any Evernote app directly, without using any clipper tool

Clipper note = yes, via our web clipper application

In the newer versions of Presentation mode on Mac, we have font sizing options within presentation mode controls, I hope that has helped your issue. Please let me know if it works better now.

Thanks,

Kati

Archived