Chrome Clipper 6.2 no longer opens notes in desktop client

EdH

• Level 5*

The old version of the clipper would allow you to open a newly clipped note in the desktop client immediately as long as you were running a recent version of 5.4 or later in Windows. This new version either doesn't do that, or I cannot find out how to enable it.

Any suggestions? If this was removed, why?

I guess Chrome is having tons of bugs today! My keys CHU won’t work only when I try to post using Chrome, my Streak extension is gone, my Google docs app is not connecting… Anyone else having such issues? 

Hi EdH,

Opening in desktop is not removed. The first time you open a note from the Clipper you will get prompted if you want to use the Webclient or the Desktop client. That sets the preference.

• Level 5*

Right, but it only opens the note in the web browser. It doesn't then redirect to open it up in the Windows client like the previous version did. At least that is how it is functioning on my machine.

Hi EdH,

Opening in desktop is not removed. The first time you open a note from the Clipper you will get prompted if you want to use the Webclient or the Desktop client. That sets the preference.

Strange that you not can reset this preference later: i cannot understand that a professional application not has this possibility...for me is very important to use desktop client...why is this? 

The old version of the clipper would allow you to open a newly clipped note in the desktop client immediately as long as you were running a recent version of 5.4 or later in Windows. This new version either doesn't do that, or I cannot find out how to enable it.

Any suggestions? If this was removed, why?

I agree with you: in internet explorer it is possible....so i use IE for this reason ...and in IE you can clip directly to the desktop evernote... i am afraid evernote will remove this possibility in future...for me this makes use of evernote tricky...you cannot trust that evernote continues very important functionality: i think the real reason of this is not technical but commercial...they want force upgrade to premium. For me i want pay for the application when  it continues this functionality

For IE Clipper it will continue to clip straight to desktop for the foreseeable future.

We don't remove stuff or change patterns to force user to upgrade.

The Evernote service changed how linking to notes works after many users were confused about the difference between a notelink vs. a shared URL. The change merged the 2 concepts into one user facing concept which reduced the confusion for many.

As part of this the Clipper now uses the merged notelink concept in all instances where you request a note to be opened from the Clipper. The preference for this is set the first time a user is opening a notelink in the new system. 

I agree with you that this is not easily understood at first and there is currently no user facing way to change preferences. 

My goal is to revert the change in the Clippers to bring back the user preference in the Clipper (and not on the Web service where it is at the moment). 

ok thanks for the answer about IE...it reassure on this point

also for the goal to bring back the preference in the clipper.. i hope you can realise that goal....Evernote is very important application for me and for many people...

Archived