Encryption

chrisbulle

Idea

Hi good folks of Evernote,

I am losing sleep over encryption. 

Editing encrypted text is a major headache because every time I just so much as look somwhere else, it collapses and I have to re-open it. 

Also, I worry that when I unencrypt text and encrypt it later on, Evernote might have taken a snapshot of the note to save it, ending up with my secret stuff in the clear.

There should be an option "show encrypted text until quit / for x hours".

7 replies to this idea

I just wish Evernote would offer a way to password-protect or encrypt the note at the note or folder level, and not require users to do their own encryption from their end. It's a major hassle to do this way. Before any of you say "you should encrypt your data before you attach it to a note"..... yeah I know I could (or should) do that. But if I want to use the web interface to open/edit a note that is encrypted, there is no simple way to keep all of that in the web UX.

They've been pretty vocal in the past about not wanting to be involved in encryption. I can't imagine that has position has changed much, and that's unfortunate if it's true. There is a huge market of businesses and users that don't use Evernote for this very reason. I tried and tried to get my company to get with Evernote, and it would have been a fantastic tool for our team to use at a previous employer, but Evernote was/is not compliant for storing private financial/customer data on an external network, so they would never consider it.

• Level 5*

I work in circles that won't store data on servers they don't own full stop.  Encryption is a required standard,  but isn't the main issue.  Evernote has hinted in the past about Enterprise plans,  and the current Business may be a first step in that direction.

• Level 5*

An encrypted notebook would make a huge difference, especially if it was zero-knowledge encryption. I don't know how likely people would adopt it, but if it were implemented in a user-friendly manner, I could see all kinds of personal and enterprise options. It won't be for everyone, especially if they won't even get near the cloud, but it would solve a lot of problems for others.

I have same issue as chrisbulle.  I right click and it does nothing.  I left click and I can enter the passphrase to view, but I can no longer edit, copy paste or do anything.  I'd simply like to do away with encryption, but that option doesn't pop up no matter what I click.  I'm on modern Windows 8 machine accessing from Chrome

• Level 5*

I have same issue as chrisbulle.  I right click and it does nothing.  I left click and I can enter the passphrase to view, but I can no longer edit, copy paste or do anything.  I'd simply like to do away with encryption, but that option doesn't pop up no matter what I click.  I'm on modern Windows 8 machine accessing from Chrome

This thread isn't about encryption problems.  Have you tried different browsers to see if this is a browser add-in issue?  Have you tried the desktop client?

Archived