[Request] Edit OCR

Evernote OCR is a great feature - but occasionally I get some really screwy results, especially when I'm dealing with handwriting.

I would love to be able to correct OCR results whenever possible.

And as an added bonus- be able to select the text in an image and copy it to regular editable text.

• Level 5*

These would be useful, sure. However...

A little awkward with the way that image OCR data is generated. OCR results are generated as a set of text strings (which are guesses) per rectangular regions in the image (which may overlap other regions). There's no guarantee that the rectangular regions will actually map to a word (though that's the presumption); it could be a part of a word, a part of two words, or just some part of the image that the OCR thinks looks like a word. Selecting text in the image would actually resolve to selecting a spot (pixel? rectangle?) in the image, seeing which, if any of the OCR rectangles intersect that spot, and then disambiguating the rectangles to get the one you really want, and then picking one of the (possibly) several guesses that the OCR has made for that area.

But yeah, it would be nice to be able to clean up the bad guesses, though tedious, I'm guessing, if you had a lot of images to plow through...

• Level 5*

I guess I don't really use OCR handwriting recognition,  though it has proven spookily correct on a couple of occasions.  Being the proud owner of handwriting that looks like a drunken spider stepped in the ink however I have learned to put an "executive summary" at the top of any note with my handwritten content.  I read really fast (even the handwriting!),  so as long as my summary gets me to the right piece of text I can find any relevant bits quickly just by paging through.  If I find that my summary is a bit off.  I'll update that as well...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

As I just posted in another thread, Evernote really needs to give us the ability to extract text from images...This is the reason I still keep OneNote around.

Please don't post the same thing in more than one thread... 

Archived