Assigning tags by highlighting multiple notes does not always work now

jschnur

Sometimes, when I highlight multiple notes to assign tags to all of them at once, the option to add a tag isn't presented. I haven't noticed a particular pattern for groups of notes that present this error.  Some groups do, but most groups don't.

• Level 5

Are you trying to assign existing tags or create new tags.

I tried to duplicate both types with a group of notes, but could not duplicate your problem.

I have been using Evernote Windows for 6 years (30,000 notes with 1,400 tags) and have not run into this problem.

If all the notes in the group are already tagged with the tag you want, you can't use the tag again.

Are you trying to assign existing tags or create new tags.

I tried to duplicate both types with a group of notes, but could not duplicate your problem.

I have been using Evernote Windows for 6 years (30,000 notes with 1,400 tags) and have not run into this problem.

If all the notes in the group are already tagged with the tag you want, you can't use the tag again.

Granted, I've only been using Evernote for Windows virtually everyday since September 2005 (Ver. 2.0), but I do know what I'm talking about.  There was never this problem before, but now there is.  And the note grouping can't "know" the tag I want because the system offers no opportunity to assign a tag -- whether a new or existing one -- in the few note pairings with which I noticed the problem.

• Level 5*

Are you trying to tag non-editable notes that are shared to you? When I try this, I see in the multi-select panel that the tags control is replaced with greyed-out "Cannot add tags".

Are you trying to tag non-editable notes that are shared to you? When I try this, I see in the multi-select panel that the tags control is replaced with greyed-out "Cannot add tags".

No.  I have no shared notes.  But thanks.

• Level 5*

When you say that "the option to add a tag isn't presented", what does that mean? Is this in the multi-note panel? The Tags dialog (Ctrl+Alt+T)? Have you tried making a multi-note selection, and dragging a tag onto the selection in the note list?

• 10 months later...

This process works for me:

1. pull up the desired notes in the center column by doing a search
  2. select all notes in center column by clicking on the top note, then in toolbar at top of screen click "Edit - Select All"
  3. All notes in center column should turn from white to blue, indicating that they have been selected
  4. In right column, there is a gray box at bottom of screen, in the bottom of that box click "Click to Add Tag"
  5. from there it is menu driven

Archived