(Archived) Snow Leopard, Evernote, 1Password and Safari

compaqdrew

Idea

I'm using Safari in 32-bit mode until the Evernote clipper gets its act together. My configuration's like this:

* Safari 4

* 1Password beta 3 (latest)

* Evernote

In Leopard, I would get both an Evernote clipper and a 1Password. In Snow Leopard, I get a 1Password button for a brief second which is immediately "taken over" by the Evernote logo.

Not sure if this is a 1password bug or an Evernote bug (or a Safari bug, or a Snow Leopard bug...) But it's annoying.

Screen%20shot%202009-09-01%20at%2012.34.57%20PM.png

Here's a video of the issue... It's as weird as it looks.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/59605/1pevbug/1pevbug%20-%20Computer.m4v

35 replies to this idea

Hi - RC1 is better, but it's still not working right. The Evernote button keeps placing itself on the extreme left side of the toolbar, and the 1Password button is not to be found; I have to Customize Toolbar to place it back in the toolbar. /r

Well, on my machines, you fixed your collision with 1Password's toolbar button. However, you created a new collision with your own Clipper button.

Before I installed the pre-release version, quitting and restarting Safari would make the 1Password button go away, requiring me to customize the toolbar to get it back.

Now, quitting and restarting Safari keeps the 1Password button in place, but makes the Evernote button go away, requiring me to customize the toolbar to get it back.

Looks like there's a bit more work to do.

Yes, thanks for the reports. We're still working on this ... we have some detailed logs from users who have reported that the last fix didn't quite work right, and we're still digging into the problem. (It would be nice if Safari had an official way to add extensions to the toolbar, but we'll figure out the best set of hacks for the next release.)

Thanks

Just to add another variation as to what I've encountered, when I launch Safari, my 1P button is all the way on the right side, and the Evernote button is missing. If I go and edit the toolbar, I can add the Evernote button and move the 1P button to the left where I originally placed it. Until I quit Safari, any new windows have both buttons where I placed them.

Just a "me too having issues" on Snow Leopard, Safari 64 bit, Evernote and 1Password 3 beta.

I solved the problem currently by switching Safari to 32 bit mode and using 1Password V2.

Anyhow 1Password V3 will be the standard soon, so I hope you can find a solution for Evernote until then.

hello,

for me the evernote clipper button is not even available in safari's "customize toolbar..." drop-down. i'm running the latest betas of both 1password3 and evernote, as well as snow leopard, and while the 1password button works flawlessly, i haven't seen the evernote clipper button since leopard...i even tried disabling 1password first!

I have install Evernote 1.5.2 on my Snow Leopard mac and 1Password button on Safari was over search bar instead of between Evernote button and address bar.

Had similar issues. Did a right click on the Safari window and chose customize toolbar. Dragged the Evernote icon to the correct place, but it worked only until I've restarted Safari the next time.

Then again went into Safari's customize toolbar. This time dragged the Evernote icon out of the toolbar (actually deleting it). Then added it again from the list of icons. Currently the icons stays in place even after a restart of Safari.

Please try and report, whether it works for you.

Pete

Thanks for the report, we're still working on solving this problem for everyone. It works on most systems, but seems to glitch on others.

So you have been working on this bug for about 1 yr now. Do you ever think you are going to solve it?

Running latest ver. of Safari/Evernote on SL 10.6.3 and still annoys me.

Fix it or I will have to drop Evernote as everything worked fine until Evernote was installed.

This is entirely an Evernote problem, it's not 1Password's fault. Since Safari doesn't give a standard way to add buttons to the toolbar, everyone who wants to do so needs to play some ugly tricks. Our current set of ugly tricks doesn't behave correctly if you've customized your toolbar in any other way. We need to spend some more time coming up with a different set of tricks that will make Evernote appear without breaking others.

We're going to try to fix this for the next Mac client release.

Thanks

Dave,

This is issue creates a large number of support requests for us as well. Perhaps we can share the code and figure out how to improve 1Password and Evernote compatibility.

Best regards, Roustem

Co-author of 1Password

Compaqdrew - I have the same setup as you and was experiencing the same problem. Then I found this posted on the 1Password for Mac site:

"Safari and Non-Firefox Browsers

This section applies to all the supported browsers, except Firefox and Flock. These steps are applicable to Camino as well.

Reinstall Browser Extension

The first thing to try is to reinstall the browser extension. To do this, launch the main 1Password application and go to the Preferences > Browsers window. Find your browser in the table and disable the Installed checkbox beside it. Now re-enable the Installed checkbox and restart your browser.

Reinstall Input Manager

Reinstalling the Input Manager will ensure you have the latest version and that it is configured correctly.

To do this, launch 1Password and click 1Password > Preferences > Browsers, then select Remove Input Manager from the advanced menu (the “gear” in the lower left corner) to uninstall the Input Manager. You may be prompted for your Administrator password. After this, install it again by selecting Install Input Manager from the same menu. Finally, restart the browser and see if the 1Password extension loads.

Manually Add 1P Icon

Sometimes the 1Password extension is loading properly, but the 1P icon is not being added to the main browser toolbar. You can manually add the icon by ctrl-clicking on the toolbar, and selecting the Customize Toolbar… item. In the window that appears, find the 1P icon and drag-and-drop it onto your toolbar."

In my case, I had to take all three steps, and upon selecting Customizing Toolbar, found the 1Password button ready to drag to the toolbar. This has not been a "permanent fix," in that the button has since disappeared twice when restarting Safari, but the button was available under Customize Toolbar both times.

--Mike

I know the topic is "Snow Leopard, Evernote, 1Password and Safari" but I see the same behavior in 10.5.8 and thought it ought not to be thought of as a Snow Leopard-only issue.

10.5.8, Safari 4.0.3, Evernote 1.4.8 (55604).

Glad to see that I'm not the only one watching my Safari toolbar lose its customization at every launch. Add me to the list of people who would like to see it fixed.

My "Default" toolbar shows Evernote's clipper in it. Love the clipper but it should not be part of the default set.

I also use 1Password and it is NOT part of the default set. Here's a picture.

If I drag Evernote clipper off the toolbar it comes back upon relaunch. If I drag the Top Sites button to the toolbar it disappears at relaunch. Not sure what else won't work but this is enough for me!

At least I'm not seeing things. I thought I was losing my mind when the toolbar didn't look the way I thought I'd left it. Now I know that it's really changing behind my back.

Is this entirely an Evernote thing, or is 1Password involved too?

This is entirely an Evernote problem, it's not 1Password's fault. Since Safari doesn't give a standard way to add buttons to the toolbar, everyone who wants to do so needs to play some ugly tricks. Our current set of ugly tricks doesn't behave correctly if you've customized your toolbar in any other way. We need to spend some more time coming up with a different set of tricks that will make Evernote appear without breaking others.

We're going to try to fix this for the next Mac client release.

Thanks

Thanks for that. Knowing that the problem is understood and is being solved makes it easier to be patient.

Whatever the 1Password guys do to the toolbar, it seems to work. Seems like an entirely different method. Maybe you can get a headstart by doing what they do, assuming that their method doesn't introduce some other problem.

I just discovered this issue tonight after switching back to 64 bit mode. Having the same problems as discussed here. with Evernote creating the "open in dashboard" button over my 1password button. I use evernote and 1password all the time, both are essential. Glad to see you are on top of it already and look forward to the fix.

thanks

Bryan

I am having this problem too, it would be good to see Evernote and Agile working together on this, there is a huge overlap between Evernote and 1Password users.

@donnacha - Is this the same Donnacha from the Things forum? Good to run into you somewhere else... If only those guys worked as hard as the Evernote team it might be a real application.

As a workaround for this issue, you can 1) install the 1password menu item (in preferences) instead of the toolbar button or 2) drag the button back using the customize toolbar menu item when you restart Safari.

Archived