Constantly getting email asking me to verify address

I am constantly getting emails asking me to verify my email address using a link.  I NEVER click on links in emails.  I tried logging on to my Evernote account and verifying the email there and I just got sent another email with a link.  This makes me think that the email is valid but I'm still not going to risk it.  Is there any way to stop this?

• Level 5*

I am constantly getting emails asking me to verify my email address using a link.  I NEVER click on links in emails.  I tried logging on to my Evernote account and verifying the email there and I just got sent another email with a link.  This makes me think that the email is valid but I'm still not going to risk it.  Is there any way to stop this?

Unfortunately, the only way I know to stop this is to verify the email. I loathe this kind of stuff (popups that interrupt your work and force you to do something), but it's increasingly common these days. At least it is better than Microsoft, which says it will shut down my computer now or in a certain period of time, but either way, it is shutting me down. 

• Ex Employees

The email verifications should go away after verifying your email address within the 2 hour window of receiving the message. This is mainly for account access security for users.

I have verified my address twice in the last week. I am still getting emails. I didn't initiate the original request which made me suspicious. If I have just signed up for something an email like this is reasonable (and expected). When an email comes for no reason repeatedly when I haven't changed anything, it isn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I was getting it on both android devices, a htc one x phone and a samsung note 10.1 2014 edition. I will save I haven't had it in a couple of weeks and have recently wiped my phone to start fresh, that may help.

Sorry, but verifying the email does NOT stop this insanely annoying notification. I get it on my iPad, and the desktop client (two different machines). It keeps prompting and prompting and prompting no matter how many times I verify the address.

Please, someone make it stop before I give up and switch to a different note taking app.

This is a user forum, though staff are aware of this thread as indicated by their participation above. Nevertheless, I have flagged this for staff attention to see if they can shed some insight onto what might be happening now that some people have indicated what devices they are running.

I'm constantly getting these notifications on my Verizon Galaxy Nexus with latest OTA update. I went through the process of verifying my email address the first time it happened, but have been ignoring subsequent requests, since I already verified it once. It was annoying enough the first time :)

Thanks!

I as well will periodically get these hassling notifications, with seemingly no cause. I have verified my e-mail address several times ,but continue to get these nagging notifications to verify my e-mail. Why? Please fix this annoying nag.

I am on Android,  Galaxy S3    - 4.4.2 , with the latest version of Evernote as of this posting.

Happens to me too.  Android 4.4.4, Nexus 4.  I'd rather not uninstall the application, but I'm getting really really really tired of this prompt from the evernote app to verify my email, over and over.  What's even worse is that I try to say "yes" and then it just immediately comes back and fails.  However, considering the email is already verified, I don't consider the failure the bug.  It should never come up with the prompt in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto, iPhone 5S running iOS 7.1.1

Evernote was installed and email verified months ago. I am the only user, I am logged in, looking at a document that was left open, and when I go back to the Notebooks screen I get "Is this your email?" popup.

I'm a new user brought in by the Card Munch merger. I've verified my email ~10 times. I can't find any security settings that affect or cause this.

I can't think of any solution on my (consumer) end that would fix this. Has anyone at the company acknowledged an issue?

Update: I now noticed that the message says that there was an error verifying / error with the connection. This is app related and I tried instantly after getting a new popup. Surfed seconds before and seconds after, not phone issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also getting these messages at an annoying rate. I use evernote on my verizon moto X, my ipad and various computers regularly. Most recently, I used evernote on my pc and the verify email message popped up on my phone. I wasn't even using it on my phone. I'll pay closer attention to see if there's any rhyme or reason to the pop ups in the hopes of solving this mystery.

If this is an official email from Evernote, it's in very bad form.  Companies should NEVER send links to users and ask them to click on them.  More often this is a practice of phishers.

I am receiving them on both my iPhone and my desktop, and I did click the verify on the phone.  I will not click anymore and will redirect these to my spam folder.

If this is an official email from Evernote, it's in very bad form.  Companies should NEVER send links to users and ask them to click on them.  More often this is a practice of phishers.

I am receiving them on both my iPhone and my desktop, and I did click the verify on the phone.  I will not click anymore and will redirect these to my spam folder.

This is an odd comment. I almost ALWAYS receive an email from companies that contains a clickable link to make verifying my account easy after just signing up. Serving a new user a link to click in an email rather than forcing them to copy/paste (which is not terribly convenient on any device, and terribly inconvenient on a mobile device), is a way to smooth out the sign-up process.  That being said, clickable links in email are always something to be wary of these days, and you have to use some commons sense...

Now, if one of these emails comes at an odd time (such as at some time when I haven't just submitted a sign-up form), I'd use due diligence and view the actual URL of the hyperlink, and of course, copy and paste rather than click the link, if the URL checks out as legitimate. 

This is unrelated to two-factor verification. enabling two-factor is a fairly labour intensive process, you'll know if you're getting anywhere near there.

This email verification also has nothing to do with whether you use email on your phone or not.... you can click "verify" from any device. If you access your email on your computer, just click verify there. The purpose is so that Evernote knows that it is a valid email address that you check. It doesn't care whether you access it from your phone, your computer, your friend's computer, or the public library. 

This is unrelated to two-factor verification. enabling two-factor is a fairly labour intensive process, you'll know if you're getting anywhere near there.

This email verification also has nothing to do with whether you use email on your phone or not.... you can click "verify" from any device. If you access your email on your computer, just click verify there. The purpose is so that Evernote knows that it is a valid email address that you check. It doesn't care whether you access it from your phone, your computer, your friend's computer, or the public library. 

So, yet to be confirmed officially: Is this spam, harmful bullshit, or is it official? And if it is, why has all this time passed witouth any official confirmation from Evernote? It's not rocket science to find if a specific user in this thread has been sent an outgoing confirmation notification or not. If this isn't officially answered witihin 30 days from now, Evernote is dead to me. It just doesn't cut it, not being able to even get a confirmation that this isn't an exploit I'm accepting every time, or an official bug!! GET YOUR ***** ***** TOGHETER EVERNOTE!!! (nothing personal ScottLougheed)

The email verifications should go away after verifying your email address within the 2 hour window of receiving the message. This is mainly for account access security for users.

Here is an Evernote employee confirming the Evernote does request you verify your address. are you looking for something more specific?

Here is an Evernote employee confirming the Evernote does request you verify your address. are you looking for something more specific?
I think it's safe to say he is and I think it's the title of this thread, but still no answers here. Why on earth do we have to keep verifying and re-verifying our email address? The best apps are those that just simply work, not those that make me work. No other apps make me verify more than once, so a great starting place would be if someone could at least tell us if this is intentional or a glitch. If it's intentional it's pretty strange and also annoying. If it's a glitch then a fix or a temporary work around would be great.

I think it's safe to say he is and I think it's the title of this thread, but still no answers here. Why on earth do we have to keep verifying and re-verifying our email address? The best apps are those that just simply work, not those that make me work. No other apps make me verify more than once, so a great starting place would be if someone could at least tell us if this is intentional or a glitch. If it's intentional it's pretty strange and also annoying. If it's a glitch then a fix or a temporary work around would be great.

It must be a glitch. There's no reason you should need to re-verify. As evernote employee charboyd points out:

If you are being asked repeatedly, either there is a glitch, or you are verifying outside of the 2 hour window, and thus, not actually verifying. 

• Ex Employees

Thanks for updating us on this issue. If you are receiving further emails after verifying your email within the 2 hours time span, please contact Evernote Support at www.evernote.com/support. In the support ticket include information such as your device, the amount of verification request received, and an activity log. 

This is super annoying - I have verifyed my email address 3-4 times so far and today I got yet another notification on my android 2.3.5 asking me to verify my email. Your app or programming is clearly broken. Is there any way for me to block all notifications from Evernote?

This is super annoying - I have verifyed my email address 3-4 times so far and today I got yet another notification on my android 2.3.5 asking me to verify my email. Your app or programming is clearly broken. Is there any way for me to block all notifications from Evernote?

This email verification message is just another email like any other. Like all email, you could easily set up a rule in your email service to automatically move it to the trash. 

This would be unwise, since there may be important account related information conveyed by email that you might actually want to see. It is  probably wise to just wait out the issue and submit a support ticket with the information that staff have requested to help them resolve it. Otherwise you run the risk of missing actually important emails related to your account.

I find myself getting a pop-up when I open Evernote on a Win 8.1 desktop that asks me to verify my email address. This is happening several times a week, and I have to chime in with some others here to say it is a bit annoying. This is a home computer, I'm the only person using it, and even if the case were otherwise, it would still only require someone to click in the verification box effectively saying, 'yes, that's my email address'. Therefore, what in the world is the point?  Under those circumstances its just a nuisance. A box that anyone can click and then yield a particular result hardly seems to represent security. What it is accomplishing is making software the start time of which has dramatically slowed down over the past year or two, even slower since it requires additional communication with Evernote prior to my being able to use the software.

I was just using evernote on my desktop pc running windows 7 professional and I got a verify email pop-up. I've been getting so many that I have been canceling them. This time I hit verify and I never received an email. It did not go to spam either.

I may have solved this mystery. I was logged in to evernote on pc's, ipad, phone and never logged out (just closed the window when I was done). I was logged in with my username rather than my email address. I decided to log out of all evernote apps and log back in using my email address rather than my username. So far so good although it may be too soon to tell.

I only have Evernote installed in one location, on iPhone, therefore this theory does not explain the issue for me.

I may have solved this mystery. I was logged in to evernote on pc's, ipad, phone and never logged out (just closed the window when I was done). I was logged in with my username rather than my email address. I decided to log out of all evernote apps and log back in using my email address rather than my username. So far so good although it may be too soon to tell.

I log in only with my email address; just looked and cannot find where I would have created a username (I don't recall having the option). 

When I opened the app to run my test just now (log out > log in > confirm I'm using email and not username) the system prompted me to verify my email before I could use the app. I hit the "send verification email" and I received the "verify your address" email in my inbox. Again.

It might if you use a username to login and not your email address?? That was my point although perhaps not succinctly stated.

• Level 5

I hit the "send verification email" and I received the "verify your address" email in my inbox. Again.

I think we may have solved the mystery. If you keep pressing the “Send verification email”, it’s no surprise that it keeps sending you emails.

The button is there to send you an email. In order to verify your address you need to click the big green button in the email. Once you do that, you should not be asked to verify it again.

I hit the "send verification email" and I received the "verify your address" email in my inbox. Again.

I think we may have solved the mystery. If you keep pressing the “Send verification email”, it’s no surprise that it keeps sending you emails.

The button is there to send you an email. In order to verify your address you need to click the big green button in the email. Once you do that, you should not be asked to verify it again.

I didn't think it need to be stated that I then clicked the "big green button" in the email to verify my email address given the extensive documentation in this support thread. As noted in my posts throughout this thread and in the emails to Evernote Support (as requested by an Evernote employee posting above) I am asked repeatedly to verify my email (and I do verify it) but it doesn't seem to be saving the authentication. That said, if all Evernote Support techs think it's as simple as users not knowing to push a button then it's no wonder I never got a response from my support tickets.

I notice that many people posting in this thread are newbies to the Evernote forum, which tells me they (like I) probably signed on specifically to report this issue. 

To restate the issue:  

Upon opening Evernote on my iPhone I get a "Please verify your email" popup with 3 options:

- Yes

- Edit my email

- Ask me later

Yes = receive verification email, click button to verify email address, receive email verified confirmation webpage. I have repeated this cycle dozens of times now. 

Edit = changing email addresses does not eliminate the problem, I tried.

Ask me later = it asks me again later which still does not solve the problem

It is correct that "Once you do that, you should not be asked to verify it again."

"Should not but I am" sums up the ongoing issue.

While it's nice to have a contribution from an Evernote employee... To suggest "click the link" is the mystery solution after months of users documenting the issue seems rather rudimentary.

I didn't think it need to be stated that I then clicked the "big green button" in the email to verify my email address given the extensive documentation in this support thread. As noted in my posts throughout this thread and in the emails to Evernote Support (as requested by an Evernote employee posting above) I am asked repeatedly to verify my email (and I do verify it) but it doesn't seem to be saving the authentication. That said, if all Evernote Support techs think it's as simple as users not knowing to push a button then it's no wonder I never got a response from my support tickets.

I notice that many people posting in this thread are newbies to the Evernote forum, which tells me they (like I) probably signed on specifically to report this issue. 

To restate the issue:

Upon opening Evernote on my iPhone I get a "Please verify your email" popup with 3 options:

- Yes

- Edit my email

- Ask me later

Yes = receive verification email, click button to verify email address, receive email verified confirmation webpage. I have repeated this cycle dozens of times now. 

Edit = changing email addresses does not eliminate the problem, I tried.

Ask me later = it asks me again later which still does not solve the problem

It is correct that "Once you do that, you should not be asked to verify it again."

"Should not but I am" sums up the ongoing issue.

While it's nice to have a contribution from an Evernote employee... To suggest "click the link" is the mystery solution after months of users documenting the issue seems rather rudimentary.

Thank you! Fially words of wisdom. I read through the entire thread and was mortified that something as simple as this never came across naturally. This is the exact issue I am facing on a Windows 8.1 laptop (for both the desktop and app versions). I get requested to verify daily and sometimes multiple times per day for months, which I always do; following all steps from agreeing to verify to clicking the link in the subsequrnt email. Nothing stops it from re-requesting a verification.

As far as I can tell I never attached a username to my account and as such use my email to log in. I have Evernote installed on two Windows 8.1 laptops and am singed into both, but I seriously don't see why the system shouldn't allow users to be signed in at more than one location (especially on the installed-program version).

I agree. The email verification is a pain in the ASS. Its really pushing me away from Evernote. I'd rather have a solicitor call me a hundered times a day than the constant  F-ing verification BS.

I'd really like to meet the A-hole that designed that concept!

Thanks for updating us on this issue. If you are receiving further emails after verifying your email within the 2 hours time span, please contact Evernote Support at www.evernote.com/support. In the support ticket include information such as your device, the amount of verification request received, and an activity log. 

Evernote has received funding of > $250 million and purports to have 100 million + users. They're "thinking of an IPO in a few years." (WSJ)

Really? A public company? Because from where I'm sitting it took 21 days for Evernote's tech support to reply to my email, an email which was initially suggested by an Evernote employee in this forum.

The not-so-funny-thing? The tech suggested I perform a search of this forum to see if there's a discussion about my issue... Despite the fact that I LINKED them to this forum thread in the footer of my support ticket documentation. Below is a screenshot of their reply.

So if you're looking for answers here Evernote users and newbie posters, look no further. Evernote does not care about this issue, does not plan on addressing this issue, and will not so much as reply to your inquiry into the issue. They don't even know this thread exists.

Well played, Evernote, not well played. Case closed (by Evernote support, that is.)  :huh: 

evernote-reply.png

I'm not terribly miffed at the transition away from support for free users, that's fine, you get what you pay for after all, and an absence free support isn't unusual for tiered/freemium service. I'm not calling for a return of free support. What really gets me is the general tendency to direct free users to submit support tickets that get closed, just as PPweb and MANY others have experienced. 

I understand that there's a need to report bugs and issues in a general, but I really question the conflating of "support" and "bug report" that is going on here. A support ticket implies personal attention and a solution to a specific problem. This implied meaning is likely magnified by the fact that most users are already frustrated and losing productive time. They are not necessarily interested in being a datapoint in a bug tracking system, as altruistic as that may be in the broader scheme of things.

I really think Evernote needs to re-think the ability for free users to submit bug-reports-as-support-tickets. It is confusing and frustrating, it leads to the expectation of prompt personal help for a specific problem. Instead, a user gets a closure notice weeks later, thus failing to meet the expectation.

In this case, PPweb (who appears to be a free user) was led to believe that in submitting a support ticket would result in her getting her specific issue resolved. Instead what she was submitting, without knowing it, was a bug report. 

Evernote, I implore you - never direct free users to submit a support ticket, not here on these forums, not in the knowledge base, not in your error messages. Doing so is misleading and seems to almost always result in a closure notice. Set up a bug submission system separate from your support ticket system so there is NO confusion. 

While you are at it, set up a separate submission flow for failed Premium upgrades/renewals so that these are never accidentally closed. I know you are tweaking your automatic screening system, but the number of posts on this forum for users whose support requests for billing problems are closed suggests that a lot of work needs to be done here. Make boiling problems unambiguous for your support system so that they NEVER get screened out. 

In this case, PPweb (who appears to be a free user) was led to believe that in submitting a support ticket would result in her getting her specific issue resolved. 

To clarify:  I am a Card-Munch-Merger-Acquired customer who received a complimentary 12 months of Premium Business Card Scanning services. 

I was positioned for easy conversion to a full-fledged Premium paying customer... until I couldn't get the app open without pushing an authentication email button every time. 

Would you invest the time required to input / transfer your personal data into software that can't even work out simple authentication? I won't. 

• Level 5*

While they are at it, I really wish Evernote would implement a feature request system.  I understand that EN collects user input in many other ways but having a system for forum dwellers would be helpful to at least capture what is important to those that come here.  It would be better to collect this input in some (potentially) useable form instead of having it randomly distributed throughout the forum in individual posts that are hopefully read by an EN employee.

• Ex Employees

To clarify, the support tickets created and shared from this post were very helpful for our developers investigation of the issue. 

Any ticket #s requested are escalated manually and reviewed by the support team. A closed ticket does not necessarily mean that your issue was not reviewed, but that we may not need further information for the bug.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been getting these "verify your email" messages recently. What's unnerving about them is that it shows my GMail address, and asks me for my password. No way, no how am I going to give any third party my password to my GMail account. There's something fundamentaly wrong with a service that requires it. Too much power, when you consider I have banking, PayPal, and just about every other important information going through my GMail account.

I currently access Evernote on 2 computers, my phone as well as my tablet. I have been getting about 10-15 notifications per day. Sometimes I get the email that people are mentioning. Every time I open the Evernote application, I get a popup asking me to confirm my email address. Every time I open the android app on either my phone or tablet, I get the same popup asking me to confirm my email address. Usually a couple times a day, I receive a notification on my phone or tablet (a standard tone and vibrate Android notification) - that asks for me to confirm my email address.

Although I can send the emails into my spam folder, as a paying subscriber - I could miss out on something in the future if I do. Also, there is no way to shut off the notifications on the phone or tablet. It is getting to the point, where I may simply uninstall the Android applications and only use Evernote via a web browser (Chrome) on my tablet. I really shouldn't have to look down at my phone every few hours because of an obvious issue with the confirmation logic not properly updating the LastConfirmed (or whatever it is named) field in the Evernote account/user database.

The popups in the application don't bother me that much. I expect that every time I open the application, I have to hit confirm. Then it won't ask me again until I close the application. It's the Android notifications getting as annoying as a spam text message.

• 1 month later...

I have Evernote installed on my iMac and MacBook.  I have been using Evernote for over 2 years and in the last several months, I am routinely asked to verify my email address and it is becoming a bit annoying.  Clearly there is a bug in Evernote and they need to address it or explain why it is happening.

FWIW, I appear to have somehow appeased the nagware gods. I'm no longer getting these prompts. I'm not sure what I did to stop it, but I'm glad it's stopped.

Same here, it stopped a couple of weeks ago. I'm wondering if it's an issue with the account data itself. I have had an account for several years - so there may be something different about my own account data versus a new user. It is making me wonder if they are manually correcting the individual user accounts that are affected.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Is this for real? I am SO PISSED at this annoyance on my Mac. 

I use Evernote on my BlackBerry 10 Passport and on my Macbook Pro. BlackBerry luckily doesn't annoy me with this, but here on the Macbook, I get SO many of these that I constantly keep verifying (yes, within 2 hrs)

Screen_Shot_2015_02_05_at_2_53_51_PM_2.p

• 1 month later...

It still does this!  This is on the Windows application; I get the prompt asking to verify my email every day.  I'm not sure why it is so insecure about my email address possibly not being "correct".  If I change it, I'll let you know.  I never get verification emails, so I'm not sure what that's about.  (Evernote has my correct email address, and I don't have anything going to the spam folder.)  Each time, I click "Verify" then the dialog just goes away... really, what was the point of that?

I also have it on Android, but I don't recall seeing the issue there.

Please make it go away!

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting a popup asking me to confirm my email address everyday.  I've done it over and over again.  Now I just hit cancel.

Can't this bug be fixed?  I use Evernote free service primarily on my desktop Mac and rarely on my iPhone.  It is incredibly annoying to be asked to confirm again and again.  What the heck does Evernote need this for from a registered user?  

Very annoyed user.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And I'm about to drop evernote, I can do the same with an online wiki. 

Everytime I log in from my mac 2014 book pro, running Yos. and latest version of Evernote for OSX.

Programs pops up verification dialog everytime I start the program.

I complete the verifying email steps, but it keeps asking me again and again to re-verify.

This is not because I'm an idiot. This is a bug with Evernote.

Also use Evernote on an Android phone, same account.

Evernote has 1 less user now.

• 1 year later...
On 9/7/2014 at 4:07 PM, ScottLougheed said:

It must be a glitch. There's no reason you should need to re-verify. As evernote employee charboyd points out:

If you are being asked repeatedly, either there is a glitch, or you are verifying outside of the 2 hour window, and thus, not actually verifying. 

Bullshit. It's intentional. If it were just a bug or a glitch, it would have been fixed long ago, since this thread was started over two years ago. The app on my phone sends me notifications on a regular basis, asking me to verify my email address. It doesn't make a bit of difference whether I acknowledge the notification within 10 seconds or if I wait until the next day. I still get another notification later on. I haven't kept track of whether they show up on the same day every month or not, but maybe I should. 

My email hasn't changed since I signed up for Evernote years ago, and I've lost count of the number of times I've verified it just to make that notification go away, not to mention verifying it via email when I first signed up. If my email changes and I don't update it in the app, then it's my own stupid fault if I don't get important emails. Evernote just wants my email address kept current so they can send me ANNOYING emails whenever it suits them, and make sure that I actually receive them. Any employee who says otherwise is either intentionally lying to me, or they have been lied to by someone else in the organization, and so they are unknowingly lying to me. As someone else pointed out, no other app repeatedly asks me to verify my email. This behaviour is unique to Evernote.

I've given up on Evernote ever fixing this problem.  I've decided the only solution is to stop using it.  It wasn't only this annoying bug.  I also very much dislike that Evernote is constantly asking me to upgrade to Premium.  They also have the very annoying habit of inserting the software into my disk startup items, even though I have removed it several times.  

My computer is not the fastest, but it itsn't the slowest either, but having Evernote try to startup every time you restart your disk for an unrelated software update brings the startup to its knees.  I just can't take it anymore.  I am slowly moving all my Ever notes that I want to keep to Apple notes.  It's like public storage anyway- how often do you really go back and look at one of those saved items?  I say, "out with the old!"

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived