FEATURE REQUESTS from a Product Guy: "Dynamic Snippets" and Faster Linking

zenzyme

Idea

Love Evernote. Two feature requests:

Dynamic Snippets

I find that I frequently have the same content in more than one note. It would be great if there was a way to cordon off sections of content as "dynamic snippets" that can be copied/pasted. When a snippet is edited in one note, the changes are reflected in all notes. 

For example, I have a high level note that contains the schedules for all of my projects so I can see how my available resources map together/conflict. I also have project specific notes that contain all project related information, including schedule. I hate that I have to make edits to both when the schedule changes. If I could just select a group of content with the mouse cursor and define it/name it as a "snippet" then paste it into another note and have it change dynamically, that would be awesome.

Faster Linking

I actually use Evernote like a wiki, with a home page that has links to projects and processes, with deeper pages linking off those. It's much easier to navigate a huge number of notes with this kind of link based/contextual hierarchal structure. Therefore, I find myself frequently creating new notes, then saving/syncing them, then right clicking on them in the list, then selecting "Copy Note Link," then going back to the parent page and pasting in a link. This could be much faster.

How about a way to just type in some text, highlight it with the mouse cursor, right click, and have an option that essentially does this:

• Creates a new note with the name [sELECTED TEXT]
  • Links the selected text to the new note
  • Saves/syncs the current note
  • Automatically opens the newly created note for editing

Maybe the option could be labelled "Link to a New Note and Save."

Thanks for listening. 

Jeremy

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi - your 'dynamic snippets' trick is called 'transclusion' in Wikiland - the inclusion of part or all of one web page in others such that changes to the original page are repeated wherever the copies are placed.  And I totally agree that CamelScript or [something] would be very useful in creating links between pages.  The process needs a serious shot in the arm.  Both features request a few times and some moons ago,  but no sign yet...

Not a solution but perhaps a way to streamline what you're doing right now: if you double-click the "contents" note so it's in its own detached window, you can drag-and-drop a note from the note list into the "contents" note -- when you drop it, it'll create the note link.

HTH,

-- Tom

Faster Linking

I actually use Evernote like a wiki, with a home page that has links to projects and processes, with deeper pages linking off those. It's much easier to navigate a huge number of notes with this kind of link based/contextual hierarchal structure. Therefore, I find myself frequently creating new notes, then saving/syncing them, then right clicking on them in the list, then selecting "Copy Note Link," then going back to the parent page and pasting in a link. This could be much faster.

At least with the new beta (5.6.0) syncing happens almost instantaneously so that you don't have to wait for that to happen before being able to copy the notelink. It's not all the way there for what ask for, but in my experience it does help a lot. 

Also, I use a custom keyboard shortcut to copy notelinks so that I don't have to do the tedious mouse navigation each time. Also saves time.

Archived