Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I am reaching out to see if anyone has the same interest in:

 

Automation of tagging

 

Example 1:  if i put a To Do "Box" in my note it would be nice if a tag "To Do" was added automatically

 

So i guess I trying to understanding if anyone else would OR has the need for automation within Evernote.  I believe it would compliment the Evernote platform.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

So would you want a tag to be added for any other action,  or just To Do boxes?  And what sort of 'automation' did you have in mind?  I get a lot of extra functionality through Phrase Express which (forinstance) gives me spell-checking and text expansion and one-key date and time entries in various formats.  I've also used AHK for some repetitive tasks.

Share this post


Link to post

In general, I am interested in the ability to auto-tag, but I probably wouldn't use this one. On the other hand, the rule-based system I can envision ought to be able to express this sort of condition/action.

One question for your proposal: if you delete the last checkbox in a note, does the "ToDo" tag get automatically removed?

An alternative: did you know that you can search for notes that contain checkboxes using the "todo:" search term? Per the Evernote Search Grammar documentation:

 

todo:[true|false|*] - if the argument is "true", this will match notes that have ToDo checkboxes that are currently checked. If the argument is "false", this will match notes that have ToDo checkboxes that are not currently checked. If the argument is "*", this will match notes that have a ToDo checkbox of any type.

Example: the search

-todo:false todo:true 

matches notes that have completed ToDo items, but no uncompleted items.

 

In your case, adding a search term of "todo:true" should suffice

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Pass. For "true" to do/task list management, I use a, well, true task list/to do list manager.  When I use checkboxes in Evernote, it's for things like an "intermediate" series of tasks.  IE, I'm working on a project that may take only a few hours (say, less than four).  But I will be multi tasking & the list is to simply keep track of what's been done & what the next step is.

 

Or for other things that are not tasks, such as sending out invitations to a party.  I make a list of invitees & then tick the box when that person has been sent an invitation.

Share this post


Link to post

There are lots of great Evernote advance search operators, but they're not easier to remember. 

For instance: who remembers the search operator to find notes with a PDF? (it's resource:application/pdf)

It's much easier to setup rules, such as:

If todo:true then apply tag "todo"

Or:

If resource:application/pdf then apply tag "pdf"

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Al Sargent said:

For instance: who remembers the search operator to find notes with a PDF? (it's resource:application/pdf)

It's much easier to setup rules, such as:

If todo:true then apply tag "todo"

Or:

If resource:application/pdf then apply tag "pdf"

Either way, you have to remember the search arguments;

At least set up a shortcut so you only have to have to code the search once

I think the issue is to automate the manual process

 

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, exactly. Automate the manual process is indeed the request. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. To try to clarify:

Evernote has lots of great advanced search capabilities that aren't always easier to remember.

Auto-tagging can make it so that you don't have to remember complicated search rules. Auto-tagging can automatically apply the tags that matter to you. 

Ideally, auto-tagging would take advantage of all of Evernote's search capabilities, similar to how Gmail's Filter feature uses all of Gmail's search capabilities. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Al Sargent said:

Yes, exactly. Automate the manual process is indeed the request. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. To try to clarify:

Evernote has lots of great advanced search capabilities that aren't always easier to remember.

Auto-tagging can make it so that you don't have to remember complicated search rules. Auto-tagging can automatically apply the tags that matter to you. 

Ideally, auto-tagging would take advantage of all of Evernote's search capabilities, similar to how Gmail's Filter feature uses all of Gmail's search capabilities. 

 

Why not using Evernote's "saved searches"-rules instead of "auto tagging"-rules ? IMHO the only difference is that the "saved searches" are JIT-rules,  applied Just-In-Time when you need it, not when you store it. Additionally, saved searches are much more flexible:  you can easily change/extend the rule without the need to correct it in all your erroneously tagged notes by the Auto-tagging.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting idea, but for me at least, the combinatorics would get out of control. There would be a lot of combinations of potential searches to save.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Al Sargent said:

Interesting idea, but for me at least, the combinatorics would get out of control. There would be a lot of combinations of potential searches to save.

No need to save all possible combinations,  you can multi-select the required saved-searches and tags by keeping the CTRL button pressed during the selection.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/14/2017 at 11:29 AM, Al Sargent said:

Interesting idea, but for me at least, the combinatorics would get out of control. There would be a lot of combinations of potential searches to save.

More or less than the number of autotags?

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...