How to sort notes alphabetically?

In the menu under "note" there is "present". , What does present do?

Also, I have created sub-folders and would like to have them alphabetized. How can I do that?

It may be for presentation mode...

Notebooks are organized under the stack in alphabetical order.

• Level 5*

Windows client? Mac?

"Present" is for creating/running presentations. It's a premium feature, but they'll give you a 30-day trial as a teaser.

Some terminology: there are no folders in Evernote. There are notebooks (which contain notes) and stacks (which contain notebooks). With respect to the Windows client, notebooks and stacks are presented alphabetically in the notebook list (left side of the Evernote display) and the notebook panel (click on the Notebooks header in the left panel). If you've just created some notebooks, you may need to exit Evernote completely (File / Exit) and then restart to get them to appear in order.

When I open Notebooks on the left I have the "Stacks". which are alphabetized.

So I have Golf and in the Notebook I have Golf - Swing, Golf - Putting..........

One of the Golf - Whatever is not alphabetized.

What are the "folders" called inside my main Notebook?

• Level 5*

So I have Golf and in the Notebook I have Golf - Swing, Golf - Putting..........

If you exited Evernote and restarted, and things are still out of order, then you should check to see if there are extra space characters in your notebook names, which may affect alphabetization.

There are no folders in notebooks (or in Evernote at all). Notebooks contain only notes. Here's the overview:

• You account consists of notebooks. Notebooks can be personal (ones you create in the account) or shared (which are notebooks in some other account).
  • Notebooks contain only notes.
  • Notebooks can be organized into stacks. Stacks can contain only notebooks.
  • Your account's notebooks are listed as a collection of notebooks and stacks.

If this is unclear, you might try posting a screen capture of whatever you're referring to, and that may help to clear things up.

An account contains notes. Each note resides in one notebook. Notebooks can be grouped by stacks. Stacks cannot contain notes. Each notebook is arranged alphabetically under the account (if not in a stack) or the stack. You may need to exit out, if you've just created it, as Jeff pointed out. If that doesn't fix it, then there is an additional space or something that is causing it to *appear* that it's not alphabetical, but it is.

EDIT: Sniped by Jeff!

What you appear to have there is a stack called "golf" and a series of notebooks called "Golf - Paul Koop" "Gold - Cswing" etc. 

The sort of "hierarchy" is as follows:

Stack>notebooks>note

So you'd have:

Golf>Golf - Paul Koop>Note Title

I would suggest you rename it to something, then rename it back to what you want it to be. Sometimes, if you accidentally hit a key, it may look ok, but the underlying data is not the same as it looks. I see this often, when someone enters a tab key or something.

• 6 months later...
  • Level 5*

No apparent way to sort notes alphabetically. Love to know if this is a feature since evernote is useless if I can't alphabetize...

Yes there is. What is the Evernote client you are using? Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Web?

• 2 years later...
On 27/01/2015 at 10:51 PM, jefito said:

Yes there is. What is the Evernote client you are using? Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Web?

Did this thread continue? I've just downloaded the latest Windows client (HP laptop on Win 10) and I cannot see an option anywhere that enables me to sort my notes by title. The function exists on my iPad and iPhone, even the browser.

Where is it in the Windows app?

Thanks

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, PIquay said:

Did this thread continue? I've just downloaded the latest Windows client (HP laptop on Win 10) and I cannot see an option anywhere that enables me to sort my notes by title. The function exists on my iPad and iPhone, even the browser.

Where is it in the Windows app?

Thanks

In side or top list view just click on the column headings.  Or you can go to the view drop down and select your sort from there.

Image.png.d79058276b8062a54f9037865ea03c99.png

4 hours ago, csihilling said:

In side or top list view just click on the column headings.  Or you can go to the view drop down and select your sort from there.

Image.png.d79058276b8062a54f9037865ea03c99.png

@csihilling - thanks very much for the prompt response and info! I spent at least half an hour looking everywhere for that to no avail. Got so frustrated I ended up uninstalling. Reinstalled and the option you highlight is indeed there so don't know whether I just didn't see the trees for the forest or something went very awry. Probably the former!

I did uninstall after experiencing another interface issue and that is no longer manifesting since I've reinstalled the app either. Chalk it up to gremlins. Didn't think I got them wet!

Thanks again :)

Archived