Why does a 'Tag Stack' not display notes of all tags within.

phoenix123

Okay, I need a solution for this or it would become a BIG problem for me in the future. I'll explain with an example.

I have several tags like Iran, Iraq, US, China, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, etc. Now, I place some of these for example Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia in a new 'tag stack' by the name "Middle-East". However, when I click on the tag Middle-East, it does NOT display all notes of Iran, Iraq and Saudi.

Please enlighten me if I'm doing something wrong or if someone has found out a solution to deal with such a situation.

Thanks.

Okay, I need a solution for this or it would become a BIG problem for me in the future. I'll explain with an example.

I have several tags like Iran, Iraq, US, China, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, etc. Now, I place some of these for example Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia in a new 'tag stack' by the name "Middle-East". However, when I click on the tag Middle-East, it does NOT display all notes of Iran, Iraq and Saudi.

Please enlighten me if I'm doing something wrong or if someone has found out a solution to deal with such a situation.

Thanks.

This has been discussed a lot on the forum already.  Nested tags are only useful for organizing tags.  Selecting a "parent" tag does not auto select the child tags.  You would need to manually add the "Middle-East" tag.  There are other workarounds discussed on the board.  Please use the search function, for more info.

This breaks my evernote dream :( I checked out the workarounds but they're too cumbersome for me. I cannot go on tagging posts like IR-ME-Iraq. Someday I might like to add a sub-division Asia then I'll have change all the tags to IR-Asia-ME-Iraq. If I add something to Iraq, it should automatically list itself in Middle-East, Asia, and International Relations. Further, in the future I might need the ability of keeping a single tag within multiple 'tag-stacks'. For example, I can keep Russia under both Asia as well as Europe... which brings me to an idea which I don't know has been stated earlier or not.

Perhaps Evernote can develop a feature "tag-stack" where you cannot tag a note to it and can only keep tags in it. For Example I can have 'tag-stacks' as Asia >> South-East Asia >> Indonesia; you cannot tag a note as asia or south-east asia (unless you have separate tags by those name), and can tag notes only by 'Indonesia'.

Would really like a developer to respond to this as well.

• Level 5*

The second post here, by Evernote's CTO, seems to capture Evernote's feeling on the topic. Much of the rest of whole topic is worth reading, too, from my point of view.

• Level 5*

This breaks my evernote dream :( I checked out the workarounds but they're too cumbersome for me. I cannot go on tagging posts like IR-ME-Iraq. Someday I might like to add a sub-division Asia then I'll have change all the tags to IR-Asia-ME-Iraq. If I add something to Iraq, it should automatically list itself in Middle-East, Asia, and International Relations. Further, in the future I might need the ability of keeping a single tag within multiple 'tag-stacks'. For example, I can keep Russia under both Asia as well as Europe... which brings me to an idea which I don't know has been stated earlier or not.

Phoenix, I think there's a pretty easy work-around for you -- tag prefixes.

For example, you could create the following tag hierarchy:

• Middle-East
    • ME.Iraq
    • ME.Iran
    • ME.SaudiArabia
    • etc

IOW, use a prefix of "ME." for all Middle East tags.

Then, if you want to find all Notes with a Middle-East tag, use this Search:  tag:ME.*

The * tells the Search engine to find all tags that begin with "ME."

BTW, the tag hierarchy does NOT help in Searching.  It is just a visual cue for you to easily see all tags that are related.

P.S.  I would NOT use spaces in Tag names (or NB names).  It makes searching harder since Evernote will assume the Tag name ends at the space unless you put the entire Tag name in quotes -- a PITA.  

Phoenix, I think there's a pretty easy work-around for you -- tag prefixes.

For example, you could create the following tag hierarchy:

• Middle-East
    • ME.Iraq
    • ME.Iran
    • ME.SaudiArabia
    • etc

Actually I thought of something like this already. But it doesn't solve my problem. Someday I might feel I need to add a tag 'Levant' countries, then I'll have to rename the tags of all those countries in it. The examples I'm giving are very simple actually. My actual work would require me to be a lot more dynamic. But thank you all for the suggestions. I really appreciate it.

• Level 5

I have 1,400 tags for 35,000 notes.

Most of them use the Parent / Child structure. 

Considering the benefits, editing a series of tags is relatively painless

• They are already grouped in the Left Panel for fast access.
  • Changing the tags just requires F2 and a quick edit. There are less than a dozen Levant countries. Changing the tags would be a snap.
  • Major structural changes are seldom needed. 

Archived