Feature request: Filter reminders in Evernote Android Widget

Matt Kieblesz

Idea

Hello everyone,

I think I am really fortunate to find out that I came across The Secret Weapon and Evernote. The only issue, cherry on the pie if you will is one feature I would like to have or just if you guys could help me out with directions in using other apps. Lets crack into it.

I use reminders as to do list - I think they were designed to be to do items anyway since you can setup the reminder without any date. The only problem is that I have many reminders I don't currently want to act on.

TODO ITEMS/REMINDERS for specific tag or date: very helpful feature would be to be able to filter reminders not just by "Being reminder" but also by tag or date - in my case it is "! 1-Now" tag or "today" date. This would save me having todos in 2 different places. I would have my todos with best note taking functionality in the world.

I know you guys have a lot of feature requests, this is not probably the first one of this type (I've seen the thread and on this without actions on it). I used all most popular to do apps on android and unfortunately I couldn't find suitable, as neat as this Evernote Android Widget. I tried to use google keep, any.do etc and I don't really like the design and idea that I will have them in to different places.

Anybody had the same problem or found better solution than using reminders as TODO lists?

Anyway thanks for help in advance,

Matt Kieblesz

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

To-do lists are such a personal thing,  and there are so many options,  that its usually better if you find your own solution - a web search will turn up dozens of options,  and the App Center (see below) will give you those that integrate with Evernote.  Most Evernote users (I think) have a separate app for all but the most basic reminders - repeating dates haven't made it to Evernote yet,  and it's only possible to apply one reminder per note so the architecture for a full task management system isn't really there yet.

The only strong advice I'd give is:  assign yourself a fixed time (hours,  not days!) to decide on a suitable set-up,  and once you make your decision,  stick with it - even it if seems to have been the wrong one.  You'd be surprised how much unproductive time you can spend trying out the 'latest' app in search of perfection!  (Been there,  done that,  got several t-shirts,  still haven't found the 'perfect' fit for my needs...)

Thanks man!

Just to clear one thing. I don't get who could use this functionality when they have several, tens or even hundreds of reminders like most people have. If reminder is described as TODO item (you have checkbox there) natural way of thinking is to be able to filter it by date. Anyway don't get me wrong here, I'm not lazy :) But hey, anybody is using this feature?

The only strong advice I'd give is:  assign yourself a fixed time (hours,  not days!) to decide on a suitable set-up,  and once you make your decision,  stick with it - even it if seems to have been the wrong one.  You'd be surprised how much unproductive time you can spend trying out the 'latest' app in search of perfection!  (Been there,  done that,  got several t-shirts,  still haven't found the 'perfect' fit for my needs...)

I can feel what you mean here, had the same with the calendar app were I was trying all of those different fancy options (Any Cal, DigiCal) and finally I stick to Google because after all it has same functionality.

• Level 5*

Have a look (sorry) at Sunrise Calendar (it's in the App Store I think..) - it will import reminders from Evernote.  But other than that,  while it's possible to run reminders and to-dos within Evernote up to a certain limit,  there's a level of complexity (which you have to find for yourself) at which fuses start to blow.  Sounds as if you're there.  Some people run external to-do lists/ task managers. 

I had a similar experience to you,  and have gone back to managing projects and to-dos in Excel and MindManager (with copious links to Evernote notes...) with a vow not to look at any more to-do applications for 3 months! 

My main concern was that I couldn't 'see' items that were coming up until I was spoon-fed them by the app I was using.  And I spent a lot of time just checking that I had actually put a task in there for the right date..  I'm kind've visual - I like to have an overview of how busy I am so I don't worry about forgetting something,  and then I can concentrate fully on the current task.

;)

Archived