JMEYER

Feature Request: Secured or Locked Notes

Idea

I couldn't find this feature by right clicking on a notebook or note, so not sure if it exists as Pro user:

it would be great if notes could be required reentering my password to view. This would disable any thumbnails as well. This solves security issues if a phone or computer is stolen that doesn't have a password set - and - prevents visual sharing of thumbs or titles for very sensitive notes/picts, etc. This can apply to whole Notebooks as well.

Additionally, a new list/notebook/group can be created called "Secured Notes and Notebooks" where they can be easily filtered for fast access. 

• Like 1

23 replies to this idea

I couldn't find this feature by right clicking on a notebook or note, so not sure if it exists as Pro user:

it would be great if notes could be required reentering my password to view. This would disable any thumbnails as well. This solves security issues if a phone or computer is stolen that doesn't have a password set - and - prevents visual sharing of thumbs or titles for very sensitive notes/picts, etc. This can apply to whole Notebooks as well.

Additionally, a new list/notebook/group can be created called "Secured Notes and Notebooks" where they can be easily filtered for fast access. 

Security has been discussed a lot on the board already. A lot.  In a nutshell, you can use EN's encryption for text in a note.  Premium users can use a PIN code on their mobile device.  All other security is left up to the user b/c EN's main focus is indexing your notes so you can easily retrieve them.  If the notes are truly/securely password protected, EN does not have this password & can not index your notes.  Please search the board for more information, should you be interested.

• Like 1

Anyone who doesn't password protect their devices is asking for trouble plain and simple. 

Since it is not possible to do what you and many others (including myself) have requested, taking steps to secure your devices (e.g., password protect your user account, encrypt your Hard Drive [Macs have this build in, I'm sure Windows has similar things], maintain physical control over your devices), can go a long way in this regard. 

That being said, more granular security like note and notebook encryption and password protection are worthwhile things to discuss, and they have been requested and discussed at great length. FYI:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/24706-request-password-protect-notebooks/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/57152-feature-request-password-protect-single-notebooks/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39180-password-protect-evernote-in-total/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36640-feature-request-password-protected-notebooks/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/58034-feature-request-password-protected-notebook/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/31481-password-on-single-notes/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35249-password-protection-for-notes/

Not trying to shut down the present discussion, but just trying to provide you with resources to see what has already been discussed. 

This was also to demonstrate that about 2 minutes searching google for:

site:http://discussion.evernote.com query (e.g., notebook protect password pin) 

can save a lot of time!

Awesome! Thank you for the detailed response, Scott. Nice to have the linked references.

Even being able to mark notes "private" where they can be removed from the "most recent" list would be huge. No password needed.

The quick background of my request:

I have a collection of pictures of my girlfriend and I that I use as my take anywhere "wallet photos" and I had just updated a nice selfie she sent. Presented new designs to our CMO with EN open to take notes, didn't have the "Most Recent" list set to text only, she saw it, I addressed it, we had a good laugh, but it was distracting.  I prefer to have Thumbnails on to easily navigate recently updated notes visually, but am worried I'll forget to turn them off next screenshare/presentation. This reduces my usage of EN and have been using paper more frequently from concern :(

I hope you guys take mine other customers feedback soon on this. It's a really big Nice To Have :)

• Like 1

Awesome! Thank you for the detailed response, Scott. Nice to have the linked references.

Even being able to mark notes "private" where they can be removed from the "most recent" list would be huge. No password needed.

The quick background of my request:

I have a collection of pictures of my girlfriend and I that I use as my take anywhere "wallet photos" and I had just updated a nice selfie she sent. Presented new designs to our CMO with EN open to take notes, didn't have the "Most Recent" list set to text only, she saw it, I addressed it, we had a good laugh, but it was distracting.  I prefer to have Thumbnails on to easily navigate recently updated notes visually, but am worried I'll forget to turn them off next screenshare/presentation. This reduces my usage of EN and have been using paper more frequently from concern :(

I hope you guys take mine other customers feedback soon on this. It's a really big Nice To Have :)

That's certainly a tough situation. 

The only thing I can think of would be to have two separate accounts, one for your work and one for personal stuff. This has never been an issue for me because nobody looks over my shoulder at my Evernote so I can blend my work and personal without issue. Many people aren't able to do this though!

There is some discussion on a two-account system around these forums. Many people have a notebook shared between their two accounts so that any frequently accessed notes can be easily accessed from either account, or notes can be easily transferred between accounts. 

If one account is premium, you can switch between user accounts on the desktop very quickly so this is not such a big deal. on mobile, it can be a bit of an inconvenience since you can only haver be logged into a single account. The shared notebook scheme eases this difficulty a bit. 

Another thing you could do is password protect the Evernote client as a whole, i.e. the exe file. You can use Game Protector for that. I use it myself & can assure you it is simple & reliable. So each time I click on the elephant icon on my laptop it asks me for a password.

Note: each time there is an EN update the password is gone, clicking on the icon opens up EN. But you can reset it each time, using the same password as before if you like.

• Like 1

Another thing you could do is password protect the Evernote client as a whole, i.e. the exe file. You can use Game Protector for that. I use it myself & can assure you it is simple & reliable. So each time I click on the elephant icon on my laptop it asks me for a password.

Note: each time there is an EN update the password is gone, clicking on the icon opens up EN. But you can reset it each time, using the same password as before if you like.

This is a good suggestion, but keep in mind this does nothing to secure your locally stored Evernote database from curious friends and family members that have physical access to your computer and are logged into your user account. 

You should always ensure that any other person using your computer has their own user account in order to ensure your local database is secure. 

This is a good suggestion, but keep in mind this does nothing to secure your locally stored Evernote database from curious friends and family members that have physical access to your computer and are logged into your user account. 

You should always ensure that any other person using your computer has their own user account in order to ensure your local database is secure. 

Right, but that is not an EN issue but a computer issue. Access by others to your PC also affects other data than just EN data.

• Like 1

Right, but that is not an EN issue but a computer issue. Access by others to your PC also affects other data than just EN data.

Absolutely agree! Not an Evernote problem.  The same principles apply to desktop email clients too. 

ABSOLUTELY agree!  Not only is it a privacy issue (IE, I don't want the tech guy who's here troubleshooting my modem/internet connection OR my SIL who's visiting & checking her email to have access to MY email or Word documents, etc).  But I also don't want them to be able to open something & accidentally change it.  I treat my computers, iPhone & iPad as if they were my wallet...something I don't hand over casually & I am watchful when I must do so. 

Thanks, guys. To bring it back home: It's a privacy issue as much as a security.

Many people use EN in publicly visible situations. Beyond personal pictures, there are titles of topics or thumbnails of graphs, images, etc that relate to those titles that can be seen when screen sharing, etc that may be sensitive alone for some management, HR, or coworkers who report to me (this also a real scenario I have encountered).

On a personal level, there are NDA related business notes that I'd rather not have displayed when searching for restaurants or making to-do lists with friends, etc.

Having a "Private" or "Hidden" option would be really cool. It wouldn't fall as a Stack, Notebook - but it's own sort of locker. Of course, it would be really awesome to have multiple lockers, choose which one to default, etc - but that's moving beyond the scope of the request :)

• Like 1

Many people use EN in publicly visible situations. Beyond personal pictures, there are titles of topics or thumbnails of graphs, images, etc that relate to those titles that can be seen when screen sharing, etc that may be sensitive alone for some management, HR, or coworkers who report to me (this also a real scenario I have encountered).

On a personal level, there are NDA related business notes that I'd rather not have displayed when searching for restaurants or making to-do lists with friends, etc.

One way to approach this problem is to have a separate work account, if you don't need (much) access to your work notes outside of work. And even if you do, you can always share a select number of notes in shared notebooks; your NDA stuff wouldn't go in these, most likely.

How is it the locking feature request going? any news? it would be awesome to have locked secured notebooks, even if it goes out of the search, I am not friend of multi account and rather have everything in the same account.

I have some very personal pictures in some notes and sometimes I want to show people something on EN and makes me nervous that I have to be very accurate in typing the keywords so EN doesn't accidentally shows any of the "secret" material I have.

Regards

• Like 1

How is it the locking feature request going? any news? it would be awesome to have locked secured notebooks, even if it goes out of the search, I am not friend of multi account and rather have everything in the same account.

I have some very personal pictures in some notes and sometimes I want to show people something on EN and makes me nervous that I have to be very accurate in typing the keywords so EN doesn't accidentally shows any of the "secret" material I have.

Regards

Yeah...no progress that I'm aware of. EN doesn't seem to understand it. It'd be an awesome Premium feature to have notebook tagging for visibility layers like "work" and "personal". Notes could be added any time to those books, but to view would require a prompt.

• Like 1

I too was looking for an easy way to prevent certain notes from being displayed in my notes list. In my scenario's, I still want to be able to quickly access these notes, don't want to switch accounts, etc. I simply want to prevent notes within a given notebook from displaying until I open that notebook.

On my desk, I have a number of paper notebooks. One notebook stays open all day and I jot things down. If you came by my desk, I don't care if you see these notes. But another notebook remains closed. It is only opened when I need to read/write a note from that notebook. It remains closed otherwise because I don't want to share those notes with just anyone. 

From an design interface and programming perspective, a 'keep closed' option on a notebook would handle this. The notes within a "keep closed" notebook would only be shown when that specific notebook is opened. Even if I lost the ability to search within that notebook until it was opened would be a trade off that I would be willing to accept. 

• Like 1

Yes, it is a bit awkward when you search for something in front of a colleague and your recipes, journal entries, etc. come up. Plus if you clipped some stuff at lunchtime it's sitting there in the recent notes for all to see.

I have two accounts, one for work, one for personal to avoid this, but it's annoying as I only have premium for the work one and miss out on a lot of features for the personal one. I can't justify paying twice!

A great way to handle this would be allowing users to create an alias login that can be assigned only specific stacks and notebooks, so when you use the alias to log in only those items would be visible/accessible and only notes from those item displaying in the left pane. Has this been suggested before? Where can I go to promote this idea?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sarap said:

I have two accounts, one for work, one for personal to avoid this

My preference would be to use one account with work/personal tags
I could include   tag:work   to ensure personal notes don't show up  in a work related search

>>Where can I go to promote this idea?

You can post a feature request at this forum   https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/304-evernote-feature-requests/?do=add

Even just hiding the note from the Recent list would do the trick.

I do all my trip planning in Evernote, and I'm planning a surprise trip for my wife. We share a few computers, and evernote is installed on them all, and I often use Evernote on my other devices--and I use them with my wife when we're planning something together. I'd love to use evernote for this too. Even if there was a way to display all notebooks but one in the Recent list, that would work as well.

For some private, secure content, I have been using LastPass secure notes.

After further thought, I think the way to scale the enhancement would be a "secure" check box for each note. When enabled, this would cascade to a Secure section of EN creating secure version of the Notebook it belongs to in the the Secure section as well. Only the secure notes are displayed in the notebook when in the Secure area. This functionality allows for high level sorting of all secure notes. If a note is not secure, it's notebook isn't mirrored to the Secure area.

Access would be that the Secure area is displayed in the Shortcuts for quick access. Clicking on the shortcut (or navigating through the Notebooks) would launch an optional simple 4 digit password or message that says something like "Access your Secure notes? Y/N"

7 hours ago, JMEYER said:

For some private, secure content, I have been using LastPass secure notes.

I store my data in Evernote; my passwords in LastPass
I use encryption to protect my sensitive data

Evernote has a text encryption feature; theres no indication they're interested in expanding this
I also use the native encryption of attachments (pdfs, office/iwork documents, ...)

As this is a feature request, even though it's been requested before, I'll move it to a feature request forum, so that it can be voted upon (or perhaps merged with identical requests if the powers-that-be desire).

Is there some way to put a password on an individual note, a scanned document in a PFD format

On 3/13/2018 at 8:19 AM, Ray S said:

Is there some way to put a password on an individual note, a scanned document in a PFD format

No, not the note, just the PDF using an other app.