Tag Editor ?

Hi all

I start having a few hundreds of records un my evenote. I try to discipline myself in adding relevant tags to most of them, but  It appears that I make some spelling mistakes or divergent choices : some tags are duplicated because of the plural for example : 35 entries at  "idea" and 19 at  "ideas"

Would be nice to have a "tag editor" allowing bulk changes / renames..

At this moment i have to edit my tag entries by hand, one by one.

Thanks !

• Level 5*

Agreed,  tag editing could do with a makeover.  However if you misspell a tag...

1. search for "tag:<misspell>" (without the quotes)
  2. Select all notes.
  3. Add correct tag to all notes
  4. Go to tag list
  5. Delete tag <misspell>
  6. Sync
  7. ...and relax.
  • Level 5*

Which Evernote client are you using? Windows? Mac? iOS? Android? Web? Are you talking about a way to edit the tags attached to multiple notes (i.e., you have notes tagged with "idea" and/or "ideas" and you want to change all the notes to use one or another of them), or the tags themselves?

• Level 5

In the Windows client, you can bulk edit tags - from either the left panel or right click the tag in the note itself.

Stick with the same rules for tags. for example:

• I always use the singular version of a tag name - never the plural
  • I always use lower case characters - never upper case
  • I always use a hyphen to connect multiple words in a tag - never use a space

Thanks for the suggestion !

unfortunately, as far as I see , a tag cannot be renamed into an existing one, so for example if I want to merge "idees" into "idées", this won't work.

regards

Agreed,  tag editing could do with a makeover.  However if you misspell a tag...

1. search for "tag:<misspell>" (without the quotes)
  2. Select all notes.
  3. Add correct tag to all notes
  4. Go to tag list
  5. Delete tag <misspell>
  6. Sync
  7. ...and relax.

Yepp ! not straightfoward but this works.Thx

• Level 5*

Thanks for the suggestion !

unfortunately, as far as I see , a tag cannot be renamed into an existing one, so for example if I want to merge "idees" into "idées", this won't work.

regards

Indeed not, since tags are unique. What you would need to do is filter on notes with tag "idees" (click on the "idees" tag), select all of those notes. At that point, you should see the note panel has changed to a multi-select ion note editor: add the "idées" tag, and then remove the "idees" from the tags that you see there. Or use the Assign Tags (Ctrl+Alt+T or Note / Tags...) to do the same operation. Then remove the "idees" tag.

Archived