Evernote for Mac 5.6 Public Beta 1

Jackolicious

Idea

• Level 5

Friends of Evernote!

We have an incredible release available today. It has more user-requested features/functionality than any single prior release of Evernote for Mac! 

Important: 

1. This is pre-release beta software. Users will have to manually update to this release for the time being. If you checked the preferences option to update to beta releases, you will be updated automatically soon. If you can't wait, this post is for you!

2. This release requires OS X 10.7+

At Evernote, we believe that speed and stability are essential for productivity. That’s why we’ve completely rewritten Evernote for Mac. It may look familiar but it's significantly faster, more reliable and consumes less energy than ever before.

Speed:
  • Sync is more than 3x faster. Users with lots of shared notebooks and Evernote Business users will see the biggest improvements.
  • New notes sync instantly so they’re immediately accessible on your other devices.
  • Share notes without waiting for a sync to complete.
  • Launch and quit times have been reduced dramatically.
  • New keyboard shortcuts have been added to jump to the note list for easy navigation (CMD + |) and you can now tab between the search field, the note list, current note title and note body.
  • Energy consumption when the app is idle has been significantly reduced.

Stability:
  • We’ve closed over 500 bugs including more than 150 types of crashes.
  • Our crash reporting system has been completely rebuilt.

New features:
  • Tables can now be resized, and have configurable background colors and border styles.
  • Images can be resized right in the note editor. Just click an image and drag the handle in the bottom right corner.
  • Search results are now ordered by relevance.
  • Faster notebook selector at the top of the note list remembers your recently used notebooks.
  • Redesigned checkboxes in the note editor are easier to click.
  • Evernote will now stay logged in by default.

Known issue:
  • Spotlight search is not currently functional

If you see a crash, please send a report! If you see an odd behavior, please post here.

• Level 5*

Great news. Any updates on zero-knowledge encryption?

Good question :) However, such a capability is unlikely to be introduced into a single client, if they ever introduce it at all. It's probably best to focus on the beta in this thread and post your question in the existing threads on the topic of encryption.

I've got a sync issue.  Evernote app told me to delete a specific note which was causing the issue.  However, still getting the error which cites that same note as the source of the problem even though that note has been deleted.  I think this was an issue with how I upgraded the EN app rather than a bug with the release itself.  I did quit and restart the app too.

Perhaps there is a cache somewhere I can check for the presence of the offending note?  If not I will submit my activity log.

Looks nice. A few small touches, but they improve the UI. Performance looks great in simple testing.

Found a small issue so far. The (dark) sidebar does not maintain width across launches. It keeps resetting to the default width, which in my case is too wide.

I like the frequent automatic syncs. It's a nice touch for someone like me who writes the majority of his blog posts in Evernote. I do want to request the sync animation be a little more subtle since it happens so frequently now. It's a bit distracting as I try to write.

I'm also running into a problem with searching for tags. When I first opened the beta, I ran a saved search for all of my unfinished blog posts to begin working on the next post to go up. A few minutes later, I needed info in another note under a different tag. Now when I try to search for any other tag besides my "posts" tag, only "posts" show up. It's stuck on this tag, and I can't use search to find tags.

I want to keep testing the beta, but this is my primary method of finding notes I need. I'm going to go back to a more stable release for now, but can't wait to try the next beta again.

I've got a sync issue.  Evernote app told me to delete a specific note which was causing the issue.  However, still getting the error which cites that same note as the source of the problem even though that note has been deleted.  I think this was an issue with how I upgraded the EN app rather than a bug with the release itself.  I did quit and restart the app too.

Perhaps there is a cache somewhere I can check for the presence of the offending note?  If not I will submit my activity log.

Can you check whether the note is in Trash (ie., Notebooks->Trash)?  If so, delete the note again there, and try sync again.

Just installed and launched it. I closed the opening "slide show" window, not realizing that this would also close the login panel. At that point I was stuck with no way to log in or open a new window. All I could do was quit and re-launch. 

And I see that you STILL haven't corrected the keystroke for "paste and match style", which per Mac standards is supposed to be Cmd-Opt-Shift-V. You fixed this error once before; why can't you do it again? 

Finally, do you plan to create a sub-forum for this release under the "Evernote beta testing" forum? 

• Level 5*

Just installed and launched it. I closed the opening "slide show" window, not realizing that this would also close the login panel. At that point I was stuck with no way to log in or open a new window. All I could do was quit and re-launch. 

And I see that you STILL haven't corrected the keystroke for "paste and match style", which per Mac standards is supposed to be Cmd-Opt-Shift-V. You fixed this error once before; why can't you do it again? 

Finally, do you plan to create a sub-forum for this release under the "Evernote beta testing" forum? thread.

Hi. Thanks for reporting. I have merged your thread with the existing one on the beta. Please post your comments in this 

Can you check whether the note is in Trash (ie., Notebooks->Trash)?  If so, delete the note again there, and try sync again.

Yeah I did check Trash.  Its not in there.

A HUGE feature enhancement is the ability to change the table sizes in this Beta release... However a HUGE failure is when you enter into Presentation Mode... It looks terrible and I understand this has caused issues and indeed criticisms of the Presentation Mode in the past.

What one hand gives, the other he take it... or something like that...

Any changes to the AppleScript dictionary?

IIRC, some of the note metadata fields aren't accessible to AppleScript (I think "author", for one).

It would be nice to have this fully implemented.

And just for the hell of it, I'll repeat my long-standing requests for "star rating" and "comments" as additional metadata items (ducks).

Hi and thanks for the Beta!

I notice that when I open large notes that contain many images and checkmarks, the note is really slow to open.  In addition, instead of showing the checked boxes, it shows "Missing plug-in" instead.  If I wait about 5 seconds, then it shows the check boxes and the rest of the note as expected.

Just wanted to inform you guys.  I can provide further information if needed.

Thanks,

Brian

• Level 5*

• We’ve closed over 500 bugs including more than 150 types of crashes.

Jack,

First, thank you very much for fixing sooooooo many bugs.

Fixing bugs is always my FIRST priority, and I hope it is yours as well.

Thanks for being so candid, but I have to say, WOW!   500 bugs?????   150 crashes????

Please help me understand how the bug list could ever have grown to 500?

In January 2014, your CEO Phil Libin made a public commitment to providing a more stable, bug-free app.

I strongly support this policy/priority.  

As always, Jack, your candor is highly valued.

• Level 5

• We’ve closed over 500 bugs including more than 150 types of crashes.

Thanks for being so candid, but I have to say, WOW!   500 bugs?????   150 crashes????

Please help me understand how the bug list could ever have grown to 500?

Great question :)

Any technical project of this magnitude under active development is likely to have more than 500 tickets. Our new note editor (present for the first time in this beta) has a total ticket count of over 300 already! Lots are closed. Many are lower priority. 

The purpose of the numbers is to give you a sense of scale when talking about releases. The numbers are pretty arbitrary. The message is just that this is the largest Mac client release since the v5 redesign of 18 months ago.

A HUGE feature enhancement is the ability to change the table sizes in this Beta release... However a HUGE failure is when you enter into Presentation Mode...

An inevitable result of people requesting more and more control over layout and formatting, unfortunately. Every step in that direction limits the possibility to automatically adapt to different viewport sizes or alternative note layouts such as the "Presentation Mode".

I'm sure this is going to be a great release for some group of users judging by the amount of requests made for these feature. Not the direction I would've wanted though...

"Our new note editor (present for the first time in this beta) has a total ticket count of over 300 already!"

These are not magical numbers to be proud off, be it the bugs, issues, new bugs - these are numbers that show a problem with testing in my opinion...? 

One number to be proud of is the fact 100 million + people are using Evernote, but the scary part of this is that potentially 100 million + users are still facing a product that is not as stable as the CEO promised.

Will the Spotlight functionality be fixed? I recently changed from Win to Mac on my home machine, and one great advantage is the global desktop search, which Win lost after EN 2.X/3.X (?).

I had to go the hard way to exchange the app store version by the download version to achieve spotlight search, and I want to make sure I will not have to do that again.

Thx for some information, EvB.

Hi,

Do we post issues we're experiencing here, or should we open a problem ticket, or send an email message to the development team (whatever that address would be)?

I've discovered a scrolling issue within a section of text that is encrypted within a note.  As you begin to scroll, the cursor jumps out of the encrypted section and closes it down to the rectangle with dots and downward pointing triangle.

Also, a design request, please use the 5.5 version of the To-Do check boxes.  I like how they stand out vs the new look in the 5.6 version.  OR, give me the preference to choose which look to use.

Thanks,

W<

Also, a design request, please use the 5.5 version of the To-Do check boxes.  I like how they stand out vs the new look in the 5.6 version.  OR, give me the preference to choose which look to use.

I gotta disagree here; the new checkboxes are much better looking. Making preferences to swap every element of the UI is probably a bad path to go down. In fact, it's definitely a bad path to go down.

"Our new note editor (present for the first time in this beta) has a total ticket count of over 300 already!"

These are not magical numbers to be proud off, be it the bugs, issues, new bugs - these are numbers that show a problem with testing in my opinion...? 

One number to be proud of is the fact 100 million + people are using Evernote, but the scary part of this is that potentially 100 million + users are still facing a product that is not as stable as the CEO promised.

Without context, this is fairly meaningless as to what a "ticket" is. It could be a tweak, or a feature request, or a bug (which may be a crasher or not). How do you know how many of them actually affect stability? Also note that on large projects, bug counts can be in the thousands, and they can ship.

• Level 5

A HUGE feature enhancement is the ability to change the table sizes in this Beta release... However a HUGE failure is when you enter into Presentation Mode... 

"HUGE" is a little hyperbolic, don't you think? We're working on it :)

Also, a design request, please use the 5.5 version of the To-Do check boxes. I like how they stand out vs the new look in the 5.6 version. OR, give me the preference to choose which look to use.

I gotta disagree here; the new checkboxes are much better looking. Making preferences to swap every element of the UI is probably a bad path to go down. In fact, it's definitely a bad path to go down.

"Like"ing that quote wasn't enough of a statement, I have to also state it here: the new checkboxes are far better and attempting to add options for their appearance is a bad idea, bound to cause problems.

I noticed the beta does not let me hide the Elephant menu extra anymore. The previous version made its continued background operation independent of the menu bar icon, the preferences in the new beta do not: it’s either let it visibly run, or not let it run at all. Note the first run setup still supports running it hidden, but as soon as you touch preferences in Evernote proper, you are stuck with the new, rather annoying behavior.

• Level 5*

Also note that on large projects, bug counts can be in the thousands, and they can ship.

Frankly, I have a very, very hard time believing this.  I would be interested to learn what your basis is for making such a statement -- perhaps we could discuss in the Lounge.

I'm using the standard definition of a software bug:  Software executable does not conform to design requirement.

IMO, any company that releases software for general availability that has thousands of bugs is incompetent.

Also note that on large projects, bug counts can be in the thousands, and they can ship.

Frankly, I have a very, very hard time believing this.  I would be interested to learn what your basis is for making such a statement -- perhaps we could discuss in the Lounge.

I'm using the standard definition of a software bug:  Software executable does not conform to design requirement.

IMO, any company that releases software for general availability that has thousands of bugs is incompetent.

It's a matter of complexity, and it's a matter of priorities and time.

Nearly every reasonably large development project I've seen has varying "tiers" of bug severity (say, 1 through 5). A priority 1 bug is typically a showstopper which does what it says: Block shipment of the project. Usually, other bugs (say 2 through 5) have varying degrees of severity, and won't necessarily block shipment. These may be things that cause unexpected behavior, look a little wonky, perhaps autocorrect doesn't work when you have the letter ß in a word, or something else that's complicated to solve and rare to hit. On a project with millions or tens of millions of code, these things will exist, and the numbers could be in the thousands if everything is tracked.

Jack didn't say the severity and whether the 500 are "fixed" or still outstanding. With sufficiently small defined features, I can easily see 500 tickets (bugs or features) addressed in a release.

I've seen projects that have literally 80,000 "bugs" addressed on a 1-year timeline. When there are this many things in the air, having thousands open when you ship simply happens: It's a matter of making a decision about what needs to be done before you ship, and what can be done later.

Any more and I'll have to take this to the lounge, indeed ;-)

I'm on beta channel but 5.6.1 hasn't been offered yet. Should I be worried?

You can download it using the URL in this thread. That's how I got it and it works well in 2 days of use.  ::shrug::

• Level 5*

How is the bulleting behavior in the new editor?  Can anyone offer comments on how it compares to the prior version?  Any other differences noted aside from checkbox size?

How is the bulleting behavior in the new editor?  Can anyone offer comments on how it compares to the prior version?  Any other differences noted aside from checkbox size?

No problems so far.  Bullets work as they should.  I haven't noticed any differences.

• Level 5*

How about if you cut and paste bullets and move them around, any issues?  This is where I've noticed a lot of issues with the current editor.  Things like extra bullets or missing ones.

How about if you cut and paste bullets and move them around, any issues?  This is where I've noticed a lot of issues with the current editor.  Things like extra bullets or missing ones.

I did some simple testing, and cutting and pasting bullets around seems to work well. Copy paste works fine and will replicate as such, but if I say copy a list of bullets and paste onto a bullet, I may get an extra row of indents simply because i'm pasting at a different level than before.

In 2 days of use I haven't noticed anything untoward. If the editor is truly all new (truthfully, it does feel different to me; it feels more responsive), it may have an entirely different set of foibles and issues than the old one did (which did feel "heavy" to me).

Honestly, I think the best thing to do is to install the beta and try it :-)

• Level 5*

I'm a Windows user and will have to wait until they roll it out there, but encouraging news so far.

There are some UI issues with the new checkboxes, specifically around deleting with 5.6.0 beta 1 (450470)

1) If you're on a line above a line with a checkbox, forward delete doesn't work (i.e. you cannot clear up white space)

2) If you're on a line WITH a checkbox and positioned to the left of it, you cannot forward delete and remove the checkbox. You must select to the *right* of the checkbox and use left delete.

Forward delete does work for other characters and when checkboxes aren't around, so the checkboxes specifically seem to be breaking this.

• Level 5*

It's a matter of complexity, and it's a matter of priorities and time.

Nearly every reasonably large development project I've seen has varying "tiers" of bug severity (say, 1 through 5). A priority 1 bug is typically a showstopper which does what it says: Block shipment of the project. Usually, other bugs (say 2 through 5) have varying degrees of severity, and won't necessarily block shipment. These may be things that cause unexpected behavior, look a little wonky, perhaps autocorrect doesn't work when you have the letter ß in a word, or something else that's complicated to solve and rare to hit. On a project with millions or tens of millions of code, these things will exist, and the numbers could be in the thousands if everything is tracked.

Jack didn't say the severity and whether the 500 are "fixed" or still outstanding. With sufficiently small defined features, I can easily see 500 tickets (bugs or features) addressed in a release.

I've seen projects that have literally 80,000 "bugs" addressed on a 1-year timeline. When there are this many things in the air, having thousands open when you ship simply happens: It's a matter of making a decision about what needs to be done before you ship, and what can be done later.

We're using Bugzilla for issue tracking, and we use it to track actual bugs (small to large), usability issues, as well as feature requests (which are not really bugs in the true sense, and can be quite small to quite large). Couldn't tell you the number of lines of code we have in our system (which mainly tracks two large-ish projects, each over 10 years old; the one I work on has ~2000 C++ source files, not including 3rd-party library sources that we also build, so millions of lines of code is a near certainty. We're a smallish shop, so we won't be approaching anything like 80,000 issues being fixed in a year, though one of our principals often fixes things before they even get entered into our system (which is a software development issue of another kind altogether), but even so. :) Your description of how things are triaged is right on. 300 "bugs", even for a beta (surely some of them are internally generated and present before this hit the public, and some of them might be carry-overs from earlier versions) of a program that has wide acceptance isn't really a lot. It's pretty much true that all shipping software has bugs.

OK, an issue with filtered or search results: Results keep defaulting back to "relevance."

So, specifically: Select snippet view, and then set it to show by date created (this is my default).

Now click on a tag to get a subset of results. They will be displayed on order of "relevance." Change it to "date created." OK, now go make a change to one of the notes. After the update is saved to the server, the notes re-shuffle into "relevance" again (ARGH!). When filtering by a tag, relevance has no meaning: Everything with that tag is 100% relevant, and everything without it is 0% relevant :-)

The same happens on the result of a search as well. I can see "relevance" w.r.t. search results, but if I choose to display by date created, I would 1) Like to stick for the lifespan that the search is active (AT LEAST) and 2) preferably have the default stick across searches, as it does in all non-search or non-filter views.

OK, an issue with filtered or search results: Results keep defaulting back to "relevance."

So, specifically: Select snippet view, and then set it to show by date created (this is my default).

Now click on a tag to get a subset of results. They will be displayed on order of "relevance." Change it to "date created." OK, now go make a change to one of the notes. After the update is saved to the server, the notes re-shuffle into "relevance" again (ARGH!). When filtering by a tag, relevance has no meaning: Everything with that tag is 100% relevant, and everything without it is 0% relevant :-)

The same happens on the result of a search as well. I can see "relevance" w.r.t. search results, but if I choose to display by date created, I would 1) Like to stick for the lifespan that the search is active (AT LEAST) and 2) preferably have the default stick across searches, as it does in all non-search or non-filter views.

Hi CatOne,

You are right.  We intend to enable sort-by-relevance for searches only.  The issue you described is actually a bug in public beta 1, which will display results in order of relevance for some filter views (such as tag selection).  It will be fixed in the next beta.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Also, although we hope the new sort-by-relevance feature could help users find what they want more quickly, we do understand users rely on chronological ordering at times.  Here are two ways to disable sort-by-relevance: http://note.io/1jPrT5c

Thanks,

Hi CatOne,

You are right.  We intend to enable sort-by-relevance for searches only.  The issue you described is actually a bug in public beta 1, which will display results in order of relevance for some filter views (such as tag selection).  It will be fixed in the next beta.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

Also, although we hope the new sort-by-relevance feature could help users find what they want more quickly, we do understand users rely on chronological ordering at times.  Here are two ways to disable sort-by-relevance: http://note.io/1jPrT5c

Thanks,

Got it. I didn't know that the "relevance" check was an on/off instead of an option instead of by something else (e.g. "date created"). Because it's at the bottom it's an on/off toggle and not a "radio button option" with the others. While I'm sure this is an OS convention, it can confuse the best of us  ;)

Thanks!

Any news regarding spotlight search? Better not install beta in order not to lose the function? Will it be functional in the final versions (1) app store and (2) download?

Thx, EvB.

Software developers unite and defend... Its admirable and nothing short of what I expected.  

When your EN big you have a spotlight cast upon you.  When your CEO comes out and responds to the issues of reliability with a product they are asking you to use to ensure you remember everything, which in turn might miss certain things of vital importance based on issues or bugs or whatever...  That to me is a problem.  An ongoing problem...

What also is a problem is this world we now live in... The internet of things, the internet of everything - where we put so much faith into Applications such as EN to remember everything.  Here within is another problem.  We are too reliant on Applications.

Your end user should not be your primary tester.

You only have to look at the iOS release that enabled App Updates in the background.  How many times this year for example has Twitter or Facebook updated their Apps...?  Take Starbucks for example, came to the market in the past month with their newly refined Application for iOS.  Shouting from the rooftops about it... Installed it... Wouldn't work, wouldn't link to your card and kept going on about Internal Errors.  Reports of peoples accounts actually being wiped.  Starbucks reply was late, two updates later they resolved this issue... Terrible in my opinion and total lack of respect for their customers.

Every Application ships with bugs.  Every paid user should not have tolerate these and wait for the dust to settle and the bug count to fall.  It fundamentally suggests a process or processes are failing.

• Level 5*

@Phil:

Every end user is fundamentally a tester, because there is no way that all error cases can be discovered before shipping (that's pretty much mathematically true; a program is nothing if not a mathematical entity at base level). The bugs that are known will be triaged, and show-stoppers (e.g. those that involve data loss) ought to be fixed before shipping. Yes, all of this is a problem, and developers do take it seriously and nobody in the industry is happy about it, not the developers and not their management and not their customers. Nobody's defending that bugs are a good thing; they're just reality when you're making software, and software companies manage them because they cannot just be disappeared, as if by magic. Guaranteeing that software is bug-free is no trivial matter, even in the best cases (where ship dates can slip freely or when software failures mean that lives can be endangered). For users who are more risk-averse, waiting until some dust has settled and the user base opinion has certified a particular version is definitely a good idea. For those less risk-averse, you can ride the beta trains of the industry, like this one. Yes, we're reliant on our software applications, and that carries with it some risk, but consider the alternative...

Edit: and of course, the associated irony of the situation is that developers themselves depend on software to do their jobs. :)

jefito, well said.  Kinder than I wish to reply.

I am not a developer, just a user.  However, I do understand a computer and it's applications are no better than the programs that run them.  Humans create these applications and humans are not perfect.  Are you?  The development software is ever changing, the needs are ever changing, and Evernote is a huge application that does so many things, that I can only imagine the coding to create such an application is tremendously difficult to write.

So, I, as a user, am capable of tolerating some bugs and mishaps with applications.

And I agree, this world is NOT what it used to be.  Too many people wanting!  Not enough giving.

I did some simple testing, and cutting and pasting bullets around seems to work well. Copy paste works fine and will replicate as such, but if I say copy a list of bullets and paste onto a bullet, I may get an extra row of indents simply because i'm pasting at a different level than before.

In 2 days of use I haven't noticed anything untoward. If the editor is truly all new (truthfully, it does feel different to me; it feels more responsive), it may have an entirely different set of foibles and issues than the old one did (which did feel "heavy" to me).

Yep, it's a totally new codebase, though we tried hard to make it match the old editor's look and feel as much as possible. The really great thing about the new editor is that the codebase is tremendously more maintainable than our old one. So although there are some bugs in the current beta, I feel very confident that we'll be able to keep improving and stabilizing things until they're perfect.

There are some UI issues with the new checkboxes, specifically around deleting with 5.6.0 beta 1 (450470)

1) If you're on a line above a line with a checkbox, forward delete doesn't work (i.e. you cannot clear up white space)

2) If you're on a line WITH a checkbox and positioned to the left of it, you cannot forward delete and remove the checkbox. You must select to the *right* of the checkbox and use left delete.

Forward delete does work for other characters and when checkboxes aren't around, so the checkboxes specifically seem to be breaking this.

Hi,

Thanks for the report. However, I'm having some trouble reproducing your issue. Would you mind PMing me a share link to the note you're having trouble with? Some precise reproduction steps would go a long way also.

Yep, it's a totally new codebase, though we tried hard to make it match the old editor's look and feel as much as possible. The really great thing about the new editor is that the codebase is tremendously more maintainable than our old one. So although there are some bugs in the current beta, I feel very confident that we'll be able to keep improving and stabilizing things until they're perfect.

Thanks for all of your comments Andrei.  It is really good to see the perspective of the coders.

Hi,

Thanks for the report. However, I'm having some trouble reproducing your issue. Would you mind PMing me a share link to the note you're having trouble with? Some precise reproduction steps would go a long way also.

Hmm. You know, I just created a new note and I can forward delete just fine, removing white space lines, and removing checkboxes. So it seems to work OK now. I've restarted my machine since I was having the problem, so perhaps the problem occurs after Evernote has been running a few hours, or perhaps something else like a moon phase ;-)

Let me see if I can get it into this state again, and if so I will PM you a link to a note that causes problems.

• Level 5*

This is difficult to explain....

In Snippet view, images that were previously added to notes and that are being used as the thumbnail are large and so the note title is not displayed. If you make the image slightly smaller then it 'fixes' the issue. You can make the image bigger again without the view being messed up.

• Level 5

In Snippet view, images that were previously added to notes and that are being used as the thumbnail are large and so the note title is not displayed. If you make the image slightly smaller then it 'fixes' the issue. You can make the image bigger again without the view being messed up.

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Maybe a screenshot would help?

• Level 5*

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Maybe a screenshot would help?

I'll PM you something.

Bug Report:

In the new Beta, when I click on a Note Stack, it only shows notes that have been edited since I installed the new beta.  It does not show all the notes in the stack.

**Update:  It also will not search the whole stack - only notes updated since installing beta**

The individual notes in the notebooks in the stack appear to display just fine.  

PM me if more information is needed.  

For some reason I cannot access my tags at all. If I click on "tags" I get the pinwheel and I have to force a close. If I try command option 3, the same thing happens. I simply have no access to tag browsing.

Same here. Anyone else experiencing this?

Bug Report:

In the new Beta, when I click on a Note Stack, it only shows notes that have been edited since I installed the new beta.  It does not show all the notes in the stack.

**Update:  It also will not search the whole stack - only notes updated since installing beta**

The individual notes in the notebooks in the stack appear to display just fine.  

PM me if more information is needed.  

No issues on this for me.  I get notes from beyond installing the beta in all my stacks.

I noticed the beta does not let me hide the Elephant menu extra anymore. The previous version made its continued background operation independent of the menu bar icon, the preferences in the new beta do not: it’s either let it visibly run, or not let it run at all. Note the first run setup still supports running it hidden, but as soon as you touch preferences in Evernote proper, you are stuck with the new, rather annoying behavior.

Is there an advantage to having it running in the background without it being visible?  Is it needed to take a quick note for example?

In 5.5 when creating a new note with the keyboard shortcut (^⌘⇧N) only the new note window shows up (that is if Evernote is note open but running in the background).   Now what happens is that the Evernote note app shows up and then the note window comes up in front of it.  I then have to close the Evernote app window.   Preferred the single note since it make everything less cluttered.  

Here are a few I have captured so far.  Might be overlap on a couple I have seen here, but better to know more are having the problem maybe than isolated cases.

• Highlighting a table to copy/paste messes up formatting.  I formatted the left column to be grey, the right column white.  when I select the table to duplicate it, the highlight of the table going blue carries over the formatting.  All pasted tables are blue. 
  • You can’t highlight a column to color all cells at once.  I want to format a column at once, or a row at once.
  • FEATURE REQUEST:  Merge cells
  • Selecting color in one cell, then going to next cell, right click and properties then has inconsistent color behavior for picking colors.  Just seems quirky
  • Copy/Paste of tables goes nuts when in presentation mode for display (looks OK when in normal view. I have seen others post, but here is my screenshot)
  • In previous versions I used to hit CTRL-D, RETURN, CTRL-H.  This would give me a date with a carriage return, and an HR under it.  Now it appears the HR adds a normal line above it every time it’s inserted?  Is this expected?  I can see the benefit of HR knowing it needs to be on it's own line, but maybe only do that if the cursor isn't already on the start of a new line?  

LOVE the Mac Pages integration -- now you can view Pages with the Evernote view or expand an iWork Pages document to view inline.   Seems that the zip file issue with the new iWork Pages format has been licked.   Not there yet with Keynote or Numbers but I suspect you guys are hard at work with that.

LOVE the Mac Pages integration -- now you can view Pages with the Evernote view or expand an iWork Pages document to view inline.   Seems that the zip file issue with the new iWork Pages format has been licked.   Not there yet with Keynote or Numbers but I suspect you guys are hard at work with that.

I am willing to guess you're using an older version of Pages (pre 5.0) - or  an old file format (you can still export to Pages '09). Still not possible to achieve this with the new Pages format.

I am willing to guess you're using an older version of Pages (pre 5.0) - or  an old file format (you can still export to Pages '09). Still not possible to achieve this with the new Pages format.

No-- I am using the latest version of iWork and the latest OSX for that matter.  It hasn't been possible since the the 5.0 version but I am reporting that with Evernote 5.6 beta 1 you can now use the Evernote preview and inline view of Pages 5.2 documents - but not yet with Keynote 6.2 or Numbers 3.2.

No-- I am using the latest version of iWork and the latest OSX for that matter.  It hasn't been possible since the the 5.0 version but I am reporting that with Evernote 5.6 beta 1 you can now use the Evernote preview and inline view of Pages 5.2 documents - but not yet with Keynote 6.2 or Numbers 3.2.

That's all very fine, but I - using the exact same versions - am reporting that you cannot attach a Pages document and use quick view or view the document inline. I have tried importing/attaching a Pages 5.2 document into an Evernote (5.6.0 PB 1) note in any thinkable way to absolutely no avail. Still shows up with the .zip attachment, it only works if I use the older '09 format or convert it into .docx. 

That's all very fine, but I - using the exact same versions - am reporting that you cannot attach a Pages document and use quick view or view the document inline. I have tried importing/attaching a Pages 5.2 document into an Evernote (5.6.0 PB 1) note in any thinkable way to absolutely no avail. Still shows up with the .zip attachment, it only works if I use the older '09 format or convert it into .docx. 

Apologies but I realized that the document I was trying this with was an older document that hadn't been upgraded to the new format.   I guess just wishful thinking...

Yeah I thought that was the case after a bit of fiddling.  I am using new Pages and OSX, added a Pages doc to Evernote which showed inline.  But then realised I hadn't upgraded that document yet.  

Quickview still works, so that is ok for OSX.  And the iOS Evernote app also quick views the new documents so at least that functionality works across Apple's platforms. 

In 5.5 when creating a new note with the keyboard shortcut (^⌘⇧N) only the new note window shows up (that is if Evernote is note open but running in the background).   Now what happens is that the Evernote note app shows up and then the note window comes up in front of it.  I then have to close the Evernote app window.   Preferred the single note since it make everything less cluttered.  

Yes, THIS.

Would also love the option for a bare-bones note — no toolbars, no rich text. For quick note taking (think "writing down a phone message when you don't have pen and paper") to then go back later and embellish it with colors or bold text or what have you.

I can't figure out how to reproduce it, but when editing a note and using a keyboard shortcut the selected text will have the "Highlight" formatting applied to it. I've seen it twice now: once when copying text and another when applying the bold style.

I can't figure out how to reproduce it, but when editing a note and using a keyboard shortcut the selected text will have the "Highlight" formatting applied to it. I've seen it twice now: once when copying text and another when applying the bold style.

It happened to me many times today. When you "highlight" something to copy, then paste leaves the original highlighted yellow...!?!

Another thing is the sizing with tables. When you preview it's all over the place. When you print. Same. I have also see where on screen the text is all Arial 10 but when printed it shows mismatchin fonts.

• Level 5

Is it possible that you were holding down the command key while you selected the text?

In the Beta, command-drag applies highlighting in the same way it does in iBooks.

Is it possible that you were holding down the command key while you selected the text?

In the Beta, command-drag applies highlighting in the same way it does in iBooks.

After playing around, that's most likely what's happening.

Yeah I thought that was the case after a bit of fiddling.  I am using new Pages and OSX, added a Pages doc to Evernote which showed inline.  But then realised I hadn't upgraded that document yet.  

Quickview still works, so that is ok for OSX.  And the iOS Evernote app also quick views the new documents so at least that functionality works across Apple's platforms. 

Well, quick view should not work on OS X, since a Pages 5.2 document is attached as a .zip-file. 

Something new for today!  I never knew!

If you are in all notes / notebooks and you want to create a new note, is it typical behaviour where it opens the Note over the last accessed Notebook...?  Why would it not just pop a window in the same view (all Notes / Notebooks) and then in the top left allow you to choose where to place the Notebook?  Or to leave it in your Personal Default Notebook?

Well, quick view should not work on OS X, since a Pages 5.2 document is attached as a .zip-file. 

Correct.  I'm not sure why I thought it did work.  I just get a view of the zip icon!

• Level 5*

Would also love the option for a bare-bones note — no toolbars, no rich text. For quick note taking (think "writing down a phone message when you don't have pen and paper") to then go back later and embellish it with colors or bold text or what have you.

We already have this feature, at least in the latest GA release 5.5.1.  Just click on the Elephant icon in the main Apple menu (or use the shortcut setup in prefs) for "Quick Note".

Don't know if it's still in the Beta or not.

We already have this feature, at least in the latest GA release 5.5.1.  Just click on the Elephant icon in the main Apple menu (or use the shortcut setup in prefs) for "Quick Note".

Exactly what I thought. When I tried using it a few times recently it did not work in the beta version.

I knew that — but its attached to the menu bar. I want a windowed version of it.

Evernote doesn't search Korean text any longer, or does so very inconsistently. Mostly not at all. I have no problem searching Korean on the web version, though.

Is anyone else having a problem searching using foreign characters?

• Level 5*

Evernote doesn't search Korean text any longer, or does so very inconsistently. Mostly not at all. I have no problem searching Korean on the web version, though.

CJK (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean) appear to work fine for me. I haven't noticed any missing results in my searches or anything like that. Could you be more specific about the problem? Perhaps some screen shots showing the note, the search field, and so forth would help. Here is my search today of a recent Korean newspaper article.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/ce3b6ae8-c398-4734-ad47-6cc79bcae5c0/c3e8a1b83f4b6cb3d865a10d227e7fb7

@ Evernote team

By the way, I just found a bug. I successfully pasted my screenshot into the note, but when I clicked to share the note, it deleted the screenshot. Now, my note is empty. I had to put the screenshot back into it. 

EDIT: OK, that's weird. I also got a sync conflict. Now I've got two notes shared, one a conflict and one not. The link above goes to the non-conflict note. I only know this because the titles are different (it might be that I changed the title as a sync / share was occurring and that triggered the apparent destruction of my image). This was a bit of a mess. It appears that the image looked like it was deleted, but maybe it was actually there on the Web somewhere. I guess it is good that no data was lost, but this could be kind of an ugly / messy bug if it involves more complicated notes (in this case, it was just a screenshot).

For some reason I cannot access my tags at all. If I click on "tags" I get the pinwheel and I have to force a close. If I try command option 3, the same thing happens. I simply have no access to tag browsing.

Seconded on this.

CJK (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean) appear to work fine for me. I haven't noticed any missing results in my searches or anything like that. Could you be more specific about the problem? Perhaps some screen shots showing the note, the search field, and so forth would help. Here is my search today of a recent Korean newspaper article.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/ce3b6ae8-c398-4734-ad47-6cc79bcae5c0/c3e8a1b83f4b6cb3d865a10d227e7fb7

@ Evernote team

By the way, I just found a bug. I successfully pasted my screenshot into the note, but when I clicked to share the note, it deleted the screenshot. Now, my note is empty. I had to put the screenshot back into it. 

EDIT: OK, that's weird. I also got a sync conflict. Now I've got two notes shared, one a conflict and one not. The link above goes to the non-conflict note. I only know this because the titles are different (it might be that I changed the title as a sync / share was occurring and that triggered the apparent destruction of my image). This was a bit of a mess. It appears that the image looked like it was deleted, but maybe it was actually there on the Web somewhere. I guess it is good that no data was lost, but this could be kind of an ugly / messy bug if it involves more complicated notes (in this case, it was just a screenshot).

New Korean-language notes I create now show up in searches. Older notes do not, however. Or some of them do while others do not. Is there any easy way to reinitialize the index?

• Level 5*

@ Evernote team

New Korean-language notes I create now show up in searches. Older notes do not, however. Or some of them do while others do not. Is there any easy way to reinitialize the index?

Oh... I'm not sure. If everything is synced, and if everything looks correct on the Web, then the easiest thing would be a reinstallation, in my opinion. That ought to solve any issues. You'll probably want to make sure and get rid of everything, though, just in case. 

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

Did the margin between lists and paragraphs change? They seem closer together and now my notes look cramped.

I actually like this behavior. Now I can write a more compact bullet list with a nice heading sitting just on top of the list and not separated by such a huge margin (unless I want that and insert a line). Please EN keep it this way.

I also can't access my tags page. I get the wheel of death and have to force quit EN. Also in my sidebar I can't see any nested tags, only the first level is visible. This is (hopefully) a soon resolved bug. I don't hope that you force us to live with a flat tags list like on IOS. 

In relation to Tags, am I missing something or am I confused..?

With beta and EN Business, I create a Business Notebook and then a Note, when I try to create a tag I get https://www.evernote.com/shard/s347/sh/716c978a-f1d5-46bd-add7-59ca6f08bf17/39bb3d83ba888a2e4299f92c26fe82fd however if I create a Personal Notebook and then tag a Note it is fine.

I am admin on the account.

Cannot recall if this was an issue prior to Beta update?

In relation to Tags, am I missing something or am I confused..?

With beta and EN Business, I create a Business Notebook and then a Note, when I try to create a tag I get https://www.evernote.com/shard/s347/sh/716c978a-f1d5-46bd-add7-59ca6f08bf17/39bb3d83ba888a2e4299f92c26fe82fd however if I create a Personal Notebook and then tag a Note it is fine.

I am admin on the account.

Cannot recall if this was an issue prior to Beta update?

If I recall correctly those tags were just added to the business notebook tags. So I guess this is also a bug.

What works (for now) is to create the note in a local notebook, tag it, sync it, and then move it to the business notebook. Then the tags are created as business tags.

I've used the beta for a couple of days now, and one of the things I really like is that I no longer find myself having to force a synchronisation to copy a notelink, which is something I do a lot. That is really nice. I've never had so many synchronisation conflicts before, though ...

Something I on the other hand do not like is how the first note in a group of merged note now also gets the the large black on blueish-grey background title like all the other notes it is merged with. It is redundant (and ugly, but that goes for the all of them).

I too am FOR the narrower spacing on lists.  Before they looked so awkward, especially if I wanted to add a heading to a list (as Palladion mentioned above).

Ideally we would all like to be able to specify our own line/paragraph spacing, but then we'd be getting into serious Word Processor territory, which may not be the best course of action.  But I don't know, it all depends on how it is coded and works across so many platforms I guess.

"HUGE" is a little hyperbolic, don't you think? We're working on it :)

I still stand by HUGE and that the numbers are not great and stacking up.  Out of interest how many bugs / tickets are open today for the Note Editor in Beta release?

P.S A huge fan of EN and a paying fan and also an EN Business advocate inside my organisation.

Archived