(Archived) Feature request: Local storage

MikeCroucher

Hi

I've just started using Evernote and imagine that it won't be long before I am a paying client - this is definitely an app that I have always needed :)

Onto the Android client. Would it be possible to implement some sort of local storage of notes please? I spend a lot of time out of signal range (on trains etc) and during this time Evernote is useless. If I could store a subset of my notes on an SD card and search them when needed then it would make the application much more useful to me.

Best Wishes,

Mike

www.walkingrandomly.com

Good to hear. With Android we're just making sure we walk before we run. Like with the other mobile clients, we build a mobile offline capture application first and then if the platform can handle it, we start expanding the functionality.

Many other mobile devices don't have the storage or database capacity to handle offline notes but we're excited about the capabilities of Android and especially if it attracts paying users it will be hard to not invest heavily in it.

I would definitely pay a reasonable price for a great android app. I am a premium user and if it meant that I could have a really functional mobile solution, paying a one time price for the app would be a no brainer. I think many people would do the same, especially when you look at some of the apps people are paying for now. Android is still young and doesn't have as big a market as iPhone or Windows Mobile, but it is growing fast and it will only gain steam once the ton of projected devices start to hit different carriers all around the world.

just a thought.

I would definitely pay a reasonable price for a great android app. I am a premium user and if it meant that I could have a really functional mobile solution, paying a one time price for the app would be a no brainer. I think many people would do the same, especially when you look at some of the apps people are paying for now. Android is still young and doesn't have as big a market as iPhone or Windows Mobile, but it is growing fast and it will only gain steam once the ton of projected devices start to hit different carriers all around the world.

just a thought.

Now I am a premier user and not scared of busting my quota I am finding more and more uses for Evernote! :D

I look forward to the day when the android version has some kind of offline/local storage mode. I too am often working in locations

with little or no coverage, certainly 80% of the places I work have no 3g coverage!

Perhaps this mode could make use of the SD card on android devices, hopefully the SD card will be something which will be included in

all future android devices, I know that the HTC Dream, Magic and Hero all have SD slots and all come with a 2gb card, so plenty of space to play with.

thanks evernote folks for what you have created thus far.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Premium user... same request...

For the audio note, it is not easy to play in Windows system and the Evernote website doesn't play this format. But the cell phone plays the format well. It is more convenient to store the audio note in SD card.

If the format 3gp can be converted to mp3, it is better.

Kenneth

Premium user... same request...

For the audio note, it is not easy to play in Windows system and the Evernote website doesn't play this format. But the cell phone plays the format well. It is more convenient to store the audio note in SD card.

If the format 3gp can be converted to mp3, it is better.

Kenneth

Echoing the above--premium user, would happily pay a few bucks for a good client if it got it on my phone sooner. I use Evernote all the time and would definitely appreciate the speed that locally synced notes provide. Especially since I'm using an HTC Hero in the United States and have no 3G, when I'm out and about away from my wifi this would be really great.

I was also surprised that the audio notes were in 3gp format; is this a function of the phone rather than the client? Luckily I'm a Mac user as well, but I'd definitely prefer my notes in mp3 if that's at all possible.

-Baldmeistr

I understand that the Evernote team knows that we want local storage. I wanted to share an example that happened to me recently to illustrate why it's so important to users.

I was talking with a friend of mine over coffee when we hit upon an idea where the exact phrasing was important. We worked for several minutes on getting the wording just right. I decided that the best way to preserve our efforts was to capture this into evernote. I produced my G1 and started typing into a new note. I had just pressed the save button and watched the note upload when my friend said "Read that back to me one more time. I have an Idea." As usually happens, the momentary break while I was typing was enough to give him time to generate a fresh perspective.

I am unfortunate to live in a city without the benefit of 3G coverage by T-Mobile. Always on Edge, when not near wifi, I had to wait several minutes for the following series of events to complete. I selected the "Recent Notes" menu option, watched the browser load, wait for the thumbnails to load, select the note in question and wait for it to open. By the time I was able to recite the captured note, his idea had escaped him. I started wishing that I had typed it into a local notepad instead of evernote.

I don't think this functionality will truly allow evernote to be my long term memory. This hesitation has made me rethink the way I use evernote and the capture only android app. I appreciate the effort that has gone into the current client and the commitment that evernote has made towards the Android platform. I just wanted to share this so the developers would understand the user cases for local note storage.

Canyon R

Thats exactly the way I am using it at present. Capture only. It's far to problematic with the web view of notes/images and patchy data coverage to rely on it

for retrieval of notes.

With 2gb+ SD cards included with all android devices, afaik, it would be nice to have some local storage.

Thanks

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Can we get an update on the timing of this...I'm DYING from not having local storage on my long NYC subway commutes. I used to use instapaper on my iPhone but switched to evernote since instapaper offers no support for android...only to find out that local storage doesn't exist :( Please - this is the #1 thing we need currently!

+1

I'd also like to add that the default behavior, once local storage is implemented, should be for a new note to be created locally and then synced at the next opportunity...ie when coverage is again available, or at the next-scheduled sync time, etc. That would eliminate the scenario canyon ran into, and would also stop the application from constantly trying to sync when coverage isn't available, thus saving battery life.

Maybe that's rather self-evident, but just thought I'd throw it out there. :D

sleepy

Hey folks -

Local storage isn't easy. We don't even have it completed on the iPhone (yet) and it's been out for over a year and it's at version 3. We're excited about the developer productivity on Android and will keep working at it, but we want to make sure we can keep the extra usability features coming without going dark for months.

We don't have a date yet and the current client is already using a local database for information like tags and notebooks that you need offline to create notes, but there's a lot more to it.

We're going to keep working on it but it won't be in there until version 2 at least.

We understand that requesting local storage on mobile phone for all notes is not an easy feature, with inherent syncing issues, file management, etc. But you can do one of the following:

1) Have all text (txt) notes saved locally, or

2) Give the option to store each note locally on the cell phone, and then only save the txt part leaving out any attachments, html etc.

3) Give the option to store each note locally if it is only text.

I travel all the time, and would like to keep track of all expenses. A local notepad for writing simple text on my HTC Android phone would be great. Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm jumping in on this one!

Some form of local storage is the "killer function" for Evernote. I just paid for the "Remember The Milk" (RTM) app on my HTC Hero and this should be the way to go for Evernote as well. I'm finding I'm using RTM to remember small things, instead of Evernote because of local storage. But it's "lacking" in that it can't handle large amounts of tekst (its a function, not a flaw). The thing is, I should be using Evernote to do this.... http://www.rememberthemilk.com/

Sebastian

This feature would make me switch to become a premium user and/or pay for the app.

I used to have a windows mobile. There were a beta of Evernote for windows mobile in the beginning that allowed the notes to be stored locally. I really loved this app but then this feature were removed and I gradually stopped using Evernote on the mobile because there are no phone reception at my work.

Johan

• 2 months later...

I as well am looking fwd to local storage but till then I dump text notes into "colornote" , it what I wrote is only needed @ the phone and short term that is the end of it but if a colornote gets long or needed on the desktop computer there is a "share" function in colornote and I use that to email it to evernote.

I as well am looking fwd to local storage but till then I dump text notes into "colornote" , it what I wrote is only needed @ the phone and short term that is the end of it but if a colornote gets long or needed on the desktop computer there is a "share" function in colornote and I use that to email it to evernote.

Yes, besides the share option it is the local storage which is missing - comparing to my "old" note taking Android app (3banana from snaptic) it is a must have when you have no connection (like in trains e.g).

Would be enough to edit text notes without any graphics etc (like 3banana e.g.).

Is there a roadmap for this feature?

Will go Premium!

Thanx for Evernote and the Android app!

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad Evernote didn't hire the developer of Note Everything to do the android app. He does a lot with an app of less than 1 meg while evernote droid app is abouty 4 meg with less function. Plus Note Everything has all my memos/notes (400 of them) stored in less than 1/2 a meg. With 8/16 gig on an android, should be no problem storing all the memos you need. Actually I think 'real' notes should be synced in toto but the Evernote web clipping, non text stuff should NOT be synced. Use the desktop or web for those items.

Archived