Working offline with Evernote

I recently had an interesting experience when my Internet went down and I was still able to complete a presentation by using articles I had previously clipped to Evernote using the Web Clipper. Discussion here:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/60971-evernote-replaces-the-internet-article/ 

It worked great, but I am wondering will ALL my notes be available offline or do I have to designate which notebooks I want available offline?

It seems that I can see everything but is that just luck so far? I want to make sure that I will have the access I want when offline.

I am a premium member.

Yessir, you should have all of your data available offline as long as you sync every time you add data to your account.  You must sync with each device you wish to have offline access.  The only devices that do not have offline data are the mobile devices which do not have storage space for storing your database.

So, desktops and laptops will be the only type of devices that will technically have all offline access.

I have an iPad and a MacBook Pro.  The MBP is the only device I will have such luck with, as long at that client works properly. ;)

• Level 5*

Actually as a Premium member, the Captain can have offline access on his mobile device(s).  It does have to be enabled on a notebook-by-notebook basis, though.  This is dome a bit differently on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone, since the interfaces are different for each of these - but basically you go into Settings within the Evernote app and find "Offline Notebooks", where you can select which notebooks you want available offline.

And as Sentinel says, on Mac and Windows desktop clients, offline access is automatically enabled on all notebooks for Premium accounts.

And perhaps most important, as also stated, you'll only have a note available offline if you've synched, so it's important to do that before you know you're headed for the airport, etc!

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
hi,
First of all, sorry for the translation from Italian.
I did not understand something very important to me and I thank you very much if you help me.
With the premium version above windows desktop. I can have notes, notebooks and bookmarks ONLY off line? This is not to end quickly space cloud.
Thank you all.

• Level 5*

On the desktop you can access all your notes whether you have an internet connection or not.  On a phone or tablet if you are a premium member you can access the notebooks you designate as offline, but you need to have an internet connection to access your other notebooks.  The web versions speaks for itself since you have to be connected to the internet for the browser to work.  Hope that clears it up.

• Level 5*

If you are on line surfing you can capture clips to EN desktop.  You can then view those clips in EN whether you are on line or not.

• Level 5*

Don't exactly know what you are asking or missing, or what I am missing, for that matter.  In summary:

• You can add information to Evernote whether you are on-line or off-line.  If off-line it would have to be information that is in your local files on your computer.
  • You can access all note content in the desktop version of EN if you are on or off line.

At this point I would suggest you just give it a try.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Offline did not work on my ipad when in a car garage without internet. The prompt says 'Download the notebook ..' but I could not .... I must have missed something. Any help is appreciated !

You have to be a premium member and you have to select the notebook for offline viewing view Settings - General - Notebooks - Offline Notebooks.  You then have to sync the notes to the iPad which can take time depending upon the size of the notebook.

I want to acess the offilne mode of the evernote, how can I do it , I want that from my windows app I can create a note offline

If you are talking about EN on a Windows laptop, as long as you don't log out of EN on the Windows machine you can add notes without an internet connection whenever you like.  Nothing special to do.  When you get back to a connection those notes will sync.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Since Evernote announced the policy changes, I would like to know if there is a way in creating an offline database with multiple that will never be uploaded to the cloud. Is there a way in creating offline notes and stop them beeing uploaded to the cloud?

Thank you,

Eduard 

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Eduard Parvu said:

Is there a way in creating offline notes and stop them beeing uploaded to the cloud?

Why not use Local notebooks

You do lose the "cloud" benefits; for example, backup and syncing to devices

I have had seemingly sporadic success with offline access.  I was a premium member for a year or two.  Once I figured out to select each note I wanted access off-line it worked fine.  When I transitioned to "plus", I have had some issues.  Virtually all of my notes are text, so not that large.  Ideas for what I may be doing wrong?

I am able to create "offline notes" but once the computer / phone is online, it´s automatically syncing. I would like to know if there is a way to mark for example a note to be always "offline". The reason why I would like to use them offline is because I want to have work related and sensitive dates. OneNote is giving this option but I´m used to evernote and don´t like to give it up that easy. :-) 

• Level 5*
On 2016-12-29 at 9:00 AM, Eduard Parvu said:

I am able to create "offline notes" but once the computer / phone is online, it´s automatically syncing. I would like to know if there is a way to mark for example a note to be always "offline". The reason why I would like to use them offline is because I want to have work related and sensitive dates. OneNote is giving this option but I´m used to evernote and don´t like to give it up that easy. :-) 

Offline is actually the term used for notes that are available when you're offline i.e. not connected to the internet
A Copy of the notes are downloaded to your mobile device

Local is the term used to identify notebooks that are not synced; only available on the specific device

Evernote has this feature on the Mac/Windows platforms.  
It is executed by creating a Local Notebook, and keeping the notes in the local notebooks

Its a good idea to backup your local notebooks since they're not backed up on the servers

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Eduard Parvu said:

If by offline you mean not synced, the only way to do that is with local notebooks on Win/Mac machine.  You can view notes in local notebooks without a connection and they will not be sent to the cloud. 

Can't be done with phone or tablet.  Workaround is to encrypt the sensitive content of the note and have it in a synced notebook.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, I am screwed said:

I need to work offline.  I have little access to the internet when I am teaching.

On the Windows/Mac platforms we have a complete copy of our notes
Nothing has been taken away from us

On the mobile platforms, paid users have the option of using offline notebooks
A copy of our notes is maintained for use when not connected to the internet

The mobile platforms also maintain a working cache that may contain copies of some notes.  This is temporary volatile storage and should not be counted on to last

On 5/7/2015 at 7:50 PM, csihilling said:

On the desktop you can access all your notes whether you have an internet connection or not.  On a phone or tablet if you are a premium member you can access the notebooks you designate as offline, but you need to have an internet connection to access your other notebooks.  The web versions speaks for itself since you have to be connected to the internet for the browser to work.  Hope that clears it up.

There are multiple premium prices.  If I want to access my notes on my iPad off line, which premium will do that?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, I am screwed said:

There are multiple premium prices.  If I want to access my notes on my iPad off line, which premium will do that?

Plan options are sescribed here https://evernote.com/pricing/

All the paid plans offer offline access,  with the minimum cost being the "Plus" plan

So I would have to pay about $35/year just to use my notes, a simple card file, off line.  Which was free last year.

This is a sad event.  What a shame.  

There ought to be something simple and inexpensive that could be added for those of us that just want to use some storage space and the ability to have itemized, alphabetical card files on or off line.

Nothing else.  

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, I am screwed said:

Which was free last year.

Offline access has always been free on the Windows/Mac platforms,
and a paid feature on the mobile platforms

>>There ought to be something simple and inexpensive that could be added for those of us that just want to use some storage space and the ability to have itemized, alphabetical card files on or off line.

As backup, I export my notes in html format to a file folder. 
I have access to them completely independent of Evernote

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, I am screwed said:

I need to work offline.  I have little access to the internet when I am teaching.

i could always open my notes in the free version.

now that has been taken away from me.

i am crushed..I spent so much time compiling things and now I cannot get to them offline.

On what device?

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, I am screwed said:

Also these "note cards" are drawings.  There is no likely good way to export them.  And to where?  

If this is in response to my "export to html" in a file folder.

A file is created for each note.  The actual Note is an html file, and all attachments are exported in their native format.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, I am screwed said:

This is an iPad pro.

Well I suppose if you create the note off line and don't sync it should still be visible off line.  Not sure what happens after you sync, there's some sort of caching of notes that EN does but no guarantee the note you want will be in the cache.  Only way I know to guarantee off line access is to sign up for Plus.  Don't think offline notebooks ever existed for iPad/iPhone on the basic plan, not in years for sure.

Archived