How to Create Note Templates

No problem about your english! There are lots of people from tout le monde ici (sorry, as a west-coast Canadian, my french education was very poor!). 

I think what you are looking for is better captured in the english word "template". But I may be mistaken. 

Most people generally create a series of notes that serve as their "template". Perhaps they have a "daily diary" template, a "Meeting Notes" template, and a "work log" template. When they need one of these, they copy and paste the desired template into a new note, or duplicate the template note. 

Here's a website with one person's examples, en Anglais unfortunately. 

http://www.jamierubin.net/2012/08/22/my-shared-templates-notebook-for-evernote/

I hope I'm on the right path... perhaps you could elaborate a bit more on what you are hoping to do, don't worry about your english, just let it out, and we'll work through it!

• Level 5*

Well, I'm not too sure about that. For example, there are any number of made-up trade / brand names that probably ought to be considered, e.g. Xerox. How about "quark" and other coinages? Lewis Carrol's "Jabberwock" and "chortle" (made up from "chuckle" and "snort")...

The thing that bugs me about copying a template note to a relevant notebook is that the created date & hour do not change. So, if you created a template note on 1st March 2014, then copy it today to another notebook, the create date stays on 1st March 2014.

• Level 5*

The thing that bugs me about copying a template note to a relevant notebook is that the created date & hour do not change. So, if you created a template note on 1st March 2014, then copy it today to another notebook, the create date stays on 1st March 2014.

The Windows client has a checkbox that allows to you preserve the created and updated date of the original; if you uncheck it, the created date is the date when you do the copy. Can't speak for other Evernote clients.

Hmm, this brings up another thought...

If you choose to uncheck this option for templates, can it be done on an individual basis so it only affects the Notes you want? Meaning if I de-select it when creating a template, do I need to re-select when creating other non-template notes, and if so, will it revert the templates?

Okay, that sounds garbled even to me, so I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask. (At least then, one of us will make sense. ;) )

The Windows client has a checkbox that allows to you preserve the created and updated date of the original; if you uncheck it, the created date is the date when you do the copy. Can't speak for other Evernote clients.

If you have created a template & you want to copy it to a notebook in order to create a new note based on that template, EN gives you a choice of 2 check boxes:

• preserve the create date & update date
  • preserve the tags

If you uncheck the 1st one it wil remain unchecked for that template & therefore it will be unchecked as a "standard" next time you copy that template. In other words: the create date of the template will not be carried over to the new note. The latter will have the create date of the day you do the copying.

I don't know if this answers your garbled question but that is how I understood it.

Yes, it answered my rather garbled question. Thank you, DutchPete! :)

If you have created a template & you want to copy it to a notebook in order to create a new note based on that template, EN gives you a choice of 2 check boxes:

• preserve the create date & update date
  • preserve the tags
If you uncheck the 1st one it wil remain unchecked for that template & therefore it will be unchecked as a "standard" next time you copy that template. In other words: the create date of the template will not be carried over to the new note. The latter will have the create date of the day you do the copying.

I don't know if this answers your garbled question but that is how I understood it.

• 11 months later...

Archived